Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. If it were down to you, should we try to sign Michael Owen in January?

Yes
      (40.1%)
      No
      (53.3%)
      Don't care
      (6.6%)

Michael Owen (Manchester United > Stoke City)

Read 89985 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Michael Owen (Manchester United > Stoke City)
      Reply #483: Dec 17, 2016 08:54:11 am
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #484: Dec 26, 2016 12:44:24 pm
      Anichebe is 'pulling off  :tosser:' Jones  :lmao:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #485: Jul 19, 2017 09:44:44 pm
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #486: Aug 20, 2017 06:59:26 pm
      Doubt that is true, probably Twitter bollocks. I'm sure he would have put himself in there if it were true.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #487: Aug 25, 2018 11:07:09 pm
      Watch from, 10:28 (or watch the whole lot, it's a good show!) where he talks about injures and leaving us. I swear, he was nearly in tears :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8sbobQylWI

Should we forgive him?!

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #488: Aug 25, 2018 11:35:31 pm
      Watch from, 10:28 (or watch the whole lot, it's a good show!) where he talks about injures and leaving us. I swear, he was nearly in tears :o

Should we forgive him?!

Wow great interview. Think plenty you lads didn't know about that, I didn't.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #489: Aug 26, 2018 12:00:56 am
      Wow great interview. Think plenty you lads didn't know about that, I didn't.

Yeah. Only thing I knew about was him wanting to return after his stint at Real, but Newcastle offered more. Had no idea about the rest!

Also, it was interesting to hear his take on his injuries and how his family had the same problems in which he felt it was passed on to him. Sturridge said the same thing too.

I wonder if the big clubs look into medical history of family members before signing a player? If they don't, maybe it's about time they do.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #490: Aug 26, 2018 12:30:39 am

Should we forgive him?!

That's a great segment. Thanks for sharing that Purple. Impressed that he had the guts to say it - to be honest I always thought that he was never too bothered by it all but you can see there that it clearly did.

I've never had an issue with Michael but that's easy for me to say that because he was my first footballing idol growing up. It kind of harks back to a nostalgic and genuine sense of gratefulness towards him because it was players like him and Stevie who were the first generation of stars that I became acquainted with and with Owen he was my favourite. Not being from Liverpool and coming from a family with no interest in sport let alone football, Michael was with a couple of others, my link to Liverpool and for that I will always be grateful.

I've said it before on here that I've never held it against him when he went to the Mancs. For me Torres going to Chelsea was a hundred times worse because he wasn't, like Michael, taking a detour via a couple of clubs and some half a decade on from leaving us. He went straight. One way. Direct. And at a time when we all thought that he was still capable of playing to his peak. Yet the thing people have to realise as well is that, like Michael said in that interview, he was no longer at the top of his game. He was severely limited in his playing ability and coming off the back of a relegation with Newcastle was more or less looking for anything credible.

Also, let's just remember the most important thing -  Michael won us trophies. Sometimes pretty much single handed. He was sensational, one of if not the most naturally gifted strikers/finishers British football has ever seen. And his mentality was superb. Turning up at a World Cup aged 18 and doing something as extraordinary as he did against Argentina could only have been the work of one of the most ice cool minds in the sport. And he showed it with us time and time again, no better displayed than when we stole the FA Cup from under Arsenal's noses right at the death back in 2001.  I was gutted when he left us in 2004 and for a paltry £8m! At the start of an exciting new era with Rafa as well - 'how could he?!' I thought! But that was that I suppose.

A couple of amazing striking talents (Torres and Suarez) have passed through the gates of Anfield since Owen's day and yet the best that both those strikers had to show for their efforts was a solitary League Cup medal that remains the property of Suarez. For all that Michael did on the pitch, helping us to win a number of trophies, it's nothing to be sniffed at. There's no doubt in my mind that he remains one of the 10 most influential and important players that this club has had in the last 20 years and to deny him his place in that list would just be petty.

edit: Now going to get all melancholy and watch youtube compilations of his goals for us and remember being 11 years old again no doubt!
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2018 01:19:47 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #491: Aug 26, 2018 12:55:29 am

edit: Now going to get all melancholy and watch youtube compilations of his goals for us and remember being 11 years old again no doubt!

I was sat in a pub with a couple of mates watching the Newcastle game where Owen scored a hat trick (looked it up, was 98/99) and one mate said "he's overrated cos of that goal he scored at the world cup, he hardly does anything".
      So I just kind of laughed, and told him to watch Owen play.
      3 goals later, he said "that 3rd goal was a thing of beauty. Fair play, he's a good un"

He wasn't wrong about the 3rd, it was a wonderful goal, and he did a lot of that.

So, I looked up his record to remind myself, and he had around 158 in 297 games I think, which is exceptional.

I don't like getting into slagging ex-players.
      I may get unhappy about how they left, but generally I just kind of lose interest in them.

It was a very good interview, and I found myself really feeling for the guy, because at times you could hear his voice start to crack, as he got a bit emotional.

He's still a crap commentator though.
      The monotone man, "When I played for Man United"  ;)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #492: Aug 26, 2018 03:13:04 am
      That's a great segment. Thanks for sharing that Purple. Impressed that he had the guts to say it - to be honest I always thought that he was never too bothered by it all but you can see there that it clearly did.

I've never had an issue with Michael but that's easy for me to say that because he was my first footballing idol growing up. It kind of harks back to a nostalgic and genuine sense of gratefulness towards him because it was players like him and Stevie who were the first generation of stars that I became acquainted with and with Owen he was my favourite. Not being from Liverpool and coming from a family with no interest in sport let alone football, Michael was with a couple of others, my link to Liverpool and for that I will always be grateful.

I've said it before on here that I've never held it against him when he went to the Mancs. For me Torres going to Chelsea was a hundred times worse because he wasn't, like Michael, taking a detour via a couple of clubs and some half a decade on from leaving us. He went straight. One way. Direct. And at a time when we all thought that he was still capable of playing to his peak. Yet the thing people have to realise as well is that, like Michael said in that interview, he was no longer at the top of his game. He was severely limited in his playing ability and coming off the back of a relegation with Newcastle was more or less looking for anything credible.

Also, let's just remember the most important thing -  Michael won us trophies. Sometimes pretty much single handed. He was sensational, one of if not the most naturally gifted strikers/finishers British football has ever seen. And his mentality was superb. Turning up at a World Cup aged 18 and doing something as extraordinary as he did against Argentina could only have been the work of one of the most ice cool minds in the sport. And he showed it with us time and time again, no better displayed than when we stole the FA Cup from under Arsenal's noses right at the death back in 2001.  I was gutted when he left us in 2004 and for a paltry £8m! At the start of an exciting new era with Rafa as well - 'how could he?!' I thought! But that was that I suppose.

A couple of amazing striking talents (Torres and Suarez) have passed through the gates of Anfield since Owen's day and yet the best that both those strikers had to show for their efforts was a solitary League Cup medal that remains the property of Suarez. For all that Michael did on the pitch, helping us to win a number of trophies, it's nothing to be sniffed at. There's no doubt in my mind that he remains one of the 10 most influential and important players that this club has had in the last 20 years and to deny him his place in that list would just be petty.

Looks like he was a true red after all frankly. I've seen/heard/read plenty knock him for not coming back to Liverpool. Well if your you believe his interview (( I do )) he begged to get back to his roots. Tottaly out of his hands so should now be still classed as one of your all time greats. He would be if I was a fan but then I've always been a soft c**t. No comment from you Aussie red on my last sentence  :f_whistle:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #493: Aug 26, 2018 04:40:40 am
      All well and good what he’s said, but people are forgetting he was dragging out the contract situation for well over a season, always seemed hesitant about his future in the last couple of seasons and thought he could go on to better things, was angling for the Madrid move. If he loved the club that much he’d have stayed in the first place.
      He could have turned Newcastle down too and given it until the winter window to try and force a move back to us. Sooner or later Madrid would have sold him back to us for the 10mill.
      IMO.
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2018 04:47:12 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #494: Aug 26, 2018 10:02:03 am

He's still a crap commentator though.
      The monotone man, "When I played for Man United"  ;)

That Steve McManaman even worse mate, I mute the button when he comes on  :f_steam:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #495: Aug 26, 2018 12:51:16 pm
      All well and good what he’s said, but people are forgetting he was dragging out the contract situation for well over a season, always seemed hesitant about his future in the last couple of seasons and thought he could go on to better things, was angling for the Madrid move. If he loved the club that much he’d have stayed in the first place.
      He could have turned Newcastle down too and given it until the winter window to try and force a move back to us. Sooner or later Madrid would have sold him back to us for the 10mill.
      IMO.

Yeah, I can see that perspective as well but thinking about this a bit more sometimes we overplay the 'red through and through' motif at times. As much as we as supporters see football as a team sport where loyalty is everything, the individual players will always see it differently. There will always be that 'looking after number 1' aspect with football players. I mean, in another world, Gerrard would have left us for Chelsea back in 2005 but we were able to sway his mind with a proper big contract extension. The thought of Gerrard in that all blue kit continues to send shivers down all of our spines but even our greatest player ever showed he was susceptible to personal motivations in seeking greater riches which circumvented considerations/loyalty of his boyhood club.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #496: Aug 26, 2018 01:55:32 pm
      He didn't need to leave , He didn't need to go to Newcastle and he certainly didn't have to go to UTD. Owen loves Owen nobody else matters so he made his bed he can lye in it I have no time for him .
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #497: Aug 26, 2018 02:00:33 pm
      He didn't need to leave , He didn't need to go to Newcastle and he certainly didn't have to go to UTD. Owen loves Owen nobody else matters so he made his bed he can lye in it I have no time for him .

You listened to the interview?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #498: Aug 26, 2018 02:21:33 pm
      Funny how Suarez still gets a free pass, when he did much worse things than Owen.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #499: Aug 26, 2018 02:44:21 pm

That's pretty much my view as well, I think it was a less cynical time though before player power, plus he left Liverpool at a time when we were fairly crap.
      I do have a bit more sympathy for Michael after that segment.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #500: Aug 26, 2018 03:07:30 pm
      Funny how Suarez still gets a free pass, when he did much worse things than Owen.

Strange one.

I loved Suarez but laying down tools and trying to force a move to Arsenal in 2013 is far worse than anything Owen did. And the records show that Michael did more and won more for this club on the field.

I know which one I'd thank more for their services. Strange fickleness/pettiness out there.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #501: Aug 26, 2018 03:13:34 pm

Strange how some supporters think. Probably coz most would say Suarez better player I suppose.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #502: Aug 26, 2018 03:15:17 pm
      Strange one.

I loved Suarez but laying down tools and trying to force a move to Arsenal in 2013 is far worse than anything Owen did. And the records show that Michael did more and won more for this club on the field.

I know which one I'd thank more for their services. Strange fickleness/pettiness out there.

not really Owen lets us get butt fu**ed for £16mil I think Suarez went for £80 mil . Going to UTD is simply unforgiveable.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #503: Aug 26, 2018 03:15:37 pm
      Strange how some supporters think. Probably coz most would say Suarez better player I suppose.

Certainly was a better player. But what does that matter when you contribute and win a lot less than what Owen did?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #504: Aug 26, 2018 03:20:05 pm
      not really Owen lets us get butt fu**ed for £16mil I think Suarez went for £80 mil . Going to UTD is simply unforgiveable.

So it's all about monetary factors is it? The ultimate football betrayal huh? McManaman left us for nothing. So what?

Owen went to the Mancs when his career was all but over. Why the big deal? I could understand the narrative if it was a Figoesque peak of his career move to our big rivals. But it wasn't. The guy had just been relegated with Newcastle for f**k sake. We thought David F***ing N'Gog was a better option than take up the option of re-signing Owen for F**k sake. Who's the bigger fool there?

Torres left us directly to the Chavs, screwing us over on the last day of the transfer window meaning we had to panic buy that donkey Andy Carroll. And yet the general consensus now is that he is 'forgiven'.

Weird.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #505: Aug 26, 2018 03:23:44 pm
      you keep missing the point so I will put it in Capitals "GOING TO UTD IS UNFORGIVEABLE" especially to Ferguson of all people.

Quick Reply