Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

German players?

Read 4893 times
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 692 posts | 46 
      German players?
      Jun 18, 2008 10:24:03 pm
      What do you think of the german players currently playing at the Euro? Are they worth a shot for Rafa?

Remember, Liverpool has had some good experiences with german players the last decade (Hamann, Babbel etc.).

IMO Ballack would be a lock for us, but I don't think Chelsea would let him leave to a direct opponent.

IMO Podolski and Frings are really worth a look. Podolski is still very young (23) and has grown with Bayern München into a reliabe player that can still be developed. He has a good and simple character and a very good work ethic. And since he isn't happy in München anymore, he could be available. He isn't David Villa, but he shouldn't be worse than Crouch, Kuyt or Voronin and he has a lot more potential than these guys.

Frings is a very good defender that is able to go offensive too.

And then we should look at the german defenders...they're always worth a look. IMO Benitez looks a bit too much into the "Spainworld" and too less into the whole word (lke Mourinho).
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Re: German players?
      Reply #1: Jun 19, 2008 02:38:41 am
      I would have said Lahm if we hadnt got Dossena. Lahm is most certainly one of the best Wingbacks in football. Out of their other players i would probably choose Podolski, he can play well in a more wide position like babel is playing in our 4-2-3-1 as well as playing well as a striker. He's still only 23 and i think he would do well in the premiership, he's a lethal player with a keen eye for goal. Another player who is great from the German national side is Gomez, he isnt doing well in the euros but he is a fantastic striker. Done very well for sttutgart, would be interesting to see how much they would want for him.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2: Jun 19, 2008 03:03:22 am
      The only players I would worth considering and could be a somewhat realistic target is Schweinsteiger. Though he isn't the fastest player I think Schweinsteiger has very good attacking element to his game and would slot into the wide positions and would improve on that. Lahm would be a no brainier but since we got a new LB it seems odd to talk about him, quality player never the less.

People I know who watch a lot of German football tell me that Gomez is the real deal but I can't say I seen him play for Stuttgart that much to make a good opinion because any German game always on tv here is either Bayern Munich, Werder Bremen or Bayer Leverkusen. So outside those clubs and their players I don't know that much because I only see them the odd time.
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 19, 2008 07:28:26 am
      Yea it would be Podolski for me aswell very clever player who's always on the move looking for space and has asweet left foot.As for Gomes dont know about him he missed an absolute sitter the other night when it looked easier to score but that was the only time i saw him play to be fair.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4: Jun 19, 2008 07:32:51 am
      Podolski & lahm will be great ! ;p
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #5: Jun 19, 2008 07:37:47 am
      Podolski is an excellent player, and I do think he'd fit well into our current system. I can't believe he's still only 23, he seems to have been around for a lot longer! Anyway, before we get too carried away, he's been linked to two English clubs, neither of which are us!  ::) Still, if he'd be tempted by them, which he says he is, he'd come to us in a shot! From SkySports:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3705378,00.html

Podolski claims Spurs interest
      Juventus also monitoring Bayern striker's situation

Bayern Munich striker Lukas Podolski claims Tottenham Hotspur and Juventus have shown an interest.

Podolski endured a frustrating past season at the Allianz Arena and is considering his future with the German champions.

He is currently impressing with Germany at Euro 2008 and plans to discuss his situation with new Bayern coach Jürgen Klinsmann after the tournament.

Reports have suggested Spurs and Italian giants Juventus would be keen to sign Podolski, if the former Cologne forward decides to quit Bayern.

And the 23-year-old, who was linked with Manchester City in the January transfer window, appears to be tempted by the reported interest.

Very interesting

"I have been informed about both clubs' interest," Podolski told Express.

"That is very interesting for me."

Podolski, however, has reiterated that he will not make any firm decisions on his future until Germany's participation at Euro 2008 is over.

He added: "I really want to reach the semi-final. I will only start thinking about the future after that."

German reports also suggest Podolski could be used as part of a swap deal after Bayern were linked with a bid for Stuttgart's top scorer Mario Gomez.

kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #6: Jun 19, 2008 07:45:38 am
      3 players I would be interested in, Podolski, still young but has an excellent international scoring record. Can play both out on the wings and upfront as a link up man.

Scweinsteiger I have always been a fan of. Gets down the wings well and has a great shot. I think he could adapt well to the English game.

Then of course there is Lahm, best left back (when played there) in the world in my opinion. Gets forward brilliantly and doesn't get caught out of position too much when asked to get back and defend.
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #7: Jun 19, 2008 07:49:22 am
      Looks promising to me now all we have to do is get the Yanky tw**s to open their chequebook. I'd be gutted if we lost such a good player to fu**in Spurs. Think his price will rocket over this tournament, one of the players of the tournament for me Sundays game should tell a big story.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #8: Jun 19, 2008 08:10:51 am
      Yea it would be Podolski for me aswell very clever player who's always on the move looking for space and has asweet left foot.As for Gomes dont know about him he missed an absolute sitter the other night when it looked easier to score but that was the only time I saw him play to be fair.

Poldolski for Me too, but I would have some reservations over his attitude, but he seems to be the only German in the zone at the moment the rest of the team seem to have left their concentration in the Munich red light district.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Jun 19, 2008 08:29:40 am
      Podolski and Schweinsteiger. They both have impressed me in the 2 tournaments i have seen them in (WC and Euro's) so they must have class. Wouldnt judge too much from that but still quality players.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #10: Jun 19, 2008 08:42:19 am
      Suprised Gomez name hasnt come up in every post.

19 goals in 25 appearances for his club last season.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Jun 19, 2008 08:45:16 am

Performances so far have not indicated where it came from though. As i said, a few games isnt right to judge but i cant see where his reputation has come from.

I have seen him play 3 times for Stuttgart in my early hour football days. He has great movement and knows where to be but that was against 3 lesser quality teams.
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #12: Jun 19, 2008 08:54:36 am

Going based on the Euro performances I can't say I'm surprised at all. He's been up there with Toni in disappointment stakes. Both have not proven why they were tipped to light the comp up.
      Shoelessboy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      Reply #13: Jun 19, 2008 10:21:56 am
      Schwiensteiger makes me laugh because the literal translation of his name is Pig-Mounter =D

But yeah he'd be a good signing, Metzelder is a good player too, the CB and his partner Merterzacker is a rock too.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #14: Jun 19, 2008 10:29:46 am
      Why don't we chase Lahm? Is it not necessary/senseful with our aquiration of Dossena?

IMO Gomez is not so good. Yes, he had 2 good years in Stuttgart, but there (in Stuttgart) Kuyt and Voronin would be the megastars too. He's an above average player for me - not more, not less. Podolski is superior for he has a better shot-technique and a tougher character.
      LPJD
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts | -2 
      Reply #15: Jun 19, 2008 10:33:04 am
      Podolski would be my #1 german pick , hes left footed a power house shot very pacey and strong

makes u think he would adapt to the English game instently but in all realistic terms if we want David Villa or David Silva or even Henry we cannot afford Podolski
      JonBassett
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts | -4 
      Reply #16: Jun 19, 2008 12:58:51 pm
      A bad Euro's for Gomez could mean a decrease in his value, if that's the case he is worth a look!

Lahm's a quality player, good at getting forward and extremely reliable. He never seems to get caught in possesion!

And Podolski is quality too, great left foot with plenty of power, he's primarily a striker but is playing on the wing for germany and could be a good partner for Torres!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #17: Jun 19, 2008 05:51:48 pm
      IMO Gomez is not so good. Yes, he had 2 good years in Stuttgart, but there (in Stuttgart) Kuyt and Voronin would be the megastars too. He's an above average player for me - not more, not less. Podolski is superior for he has a better shot-technique and a tougher character.

While those two years where Gomez was playing great and leading his team to a German title, Podolski was playing like sh*t and found him self on the bench and to the extent that Bayern had to invest a lot of money into the striker position in buying both Toni and Klose because he wasn't getting the business done.  I still think he has talent as we seen when he plays with the German National Team and maybe a change in scenery could be what is needed for him maybe he is worth a punt but if you look at club form then Gomez is much superior to Podolski and it seems to be the other way around when it comes to the National Team.

I would not be surprised at all to see Bayern Munich sell him and make a profit since he has been a major bust for them.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #18: Jun 19, 2008 05:59:39 pm
      I'd take Podolski.

Heard Mario Gomez is a top player. Not been all that at the Euros though. Not really fair to judge him on three games though.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #19: Jun 19, 2008 06:28:22 pm
      Already a thread going on Podolski here:

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,2816.0.html
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #20: Jun 19, 2008 07:13:08 pm
      Suppose that just goes to show how people rate players in such different ways. Podolski is known as a bad player in terms of goal tally in the german league with just 9 goals in 47 appearances since joining bayern munich in 2006 but seems to get goals for germany and thats what makes people rate him so highly and want him, yet its the opposite for gomez and he has only played 13 games for the national side and has still netted 6 times in those appearances but 3 euro games without a goal makes some people think he isnt such a good player.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #21: Jun 19, 2008 10:51:22 pm
      The only players I would worth considering and could be a somewhat realistic target is Schweinsteiger. Though he isn't the fastest player I think Schweinsteiger has very good attacking element to his game and would slot into the wide positions and would improve on that. Lahm would be a no brainier but since we got a new LB it seems odd to talk about him, quality player never the less.

People I know who watch a lot of German football tell me that Gomez is the real deal but I can't say I seen him play for Stuttgart that much to make a good opinion because any German game always on tv here is either Bayern Munich, Werder Bremen or Bayer Leverkusen. So outside those clubs and their players I don't know that much because I only see them the odd time.

In the last Euros, i rated Schweinsteiger but kind of forgot about him. This year howeve, since getting Setanta in, i was excited to see how he has progressed and to be honest, i havent been impressed with him. He scored a good doal tonight however. The one that i would look at , especially if Crouch leaves, is Podolski. He is an outstanding player that very rarely plays for Bayern, although i dont understand that, and i would say he would come at quite a good pric (around 15m). Imagine him and Torres up- front
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #22: Jun 19, 2008 10:53:33 pm
      I think that swin   schwin   swchein Bastain S is a good player :D

Quick Reply