Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce -> Feyenoord)

Read 257610 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Super Dirk Kuyt
      Reply #2116: Jun 09, 2014 03:02:48 pm
      I know this is random, but I miss Kuyt :(

Always felt he was wasted on the right and should've played center forward to get the best out of him. I'm sure he would've scored a lot more goals.

That is a serious case of rose tinted glasses my friend, Dirk was a warrior on the pitch and gave his all but a talented clinical striker he was not.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #2117: Jun 09, 2014 03:05:45 pm
      That is a serious case of rose tinted glasses my friend, Dirk was a warrior on the pitch and gave his all but a talented clinical striker he was not.

I think Dirk was pretty clinical in front of goal to be fair.

I miss him as well.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2118: Jun 09, 2014 03:58:48 pm
      I think Dirk was pretty clinical in front of goal to be fair.

I miss him as well.

I agree. I honestly feel he would've doubled his goal scoring tally if he weren't too busy playing on the right and covering Johnson!

Lets not forget what he could offer too. He had the movement and work rate of Suarez and the physicality of Carroll.

Never really had the chance to get into those goal scoring positions as often as a striker would. It's a real shame he wasn't given the opportunity :(
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2119: Jun 09, 2014 04:20:34 pm
      I know this is random, but I miss Kuyt :(

Always felt he was wasted on the right and should've played center forward to get the best out of him. I'm sure he would've scored a lot more goals.

I miss him as an individual but admittedly all players life cycles at the club had to come to an end and I think we can all agree he moved on at just the right time. That said I totally agree with you thought he was wasted on the right as well. One of my all time favourite players who despite lacking technical ability, always made up for it with sheer hard work. If ever you wanted someone alongside you in the trenches he would be the type of guy you'd pick!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #2120: Jun 09, 2014 09:13:00 pm
      Mr Duracell.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2121: Jun 10, 2014 02:41:11 pm
      I agree. I honestly feel he would've doubled his goal scoring tally if he weren't too busy playing on the right and covering Johnson!

Lets not forget what he could offer too. He had the movement and work rate of Suarez and the physicality of Carroll.

Never really had the chance to get into those goal scoring positions as often as a striker would. It's a real shame he wasn't given the opportunity :(

he was given plenty of opportunities as striker in his first season and didn't do well, it was only after he was shifted out to be a kind of combative wide player that he started really contributing to the team. All that having been said I also miss him for his spirit, work rate and joy of the game.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce)
      Reply #2122: Jun 30, 2014 02:14:06 pm
      Holland’s Dirk Kuyt: An unsung hero who simply refuses to stop running
      He started his 100th international at left-wing-back and moved to right-back. When Holland needed to score, he moved to centre-forward. Towards the end, he was right-back again

Dirk Kuyt sat patiently on the fringes, waiting for his chance. Stuck on 98 caps, he watched from the sidelines against Spain and Australia, wondering if he would ever join the 100 club.

The list of Oranje centurions is an impressive one. On Sunday, Kuyt became the seventh to reach triple figures, alongside illustrious company such as Edwin van der Sar and Frank de Boer.

He started his 100th game at left-wing-back and moved to right-back. When Holland needed to score, he moved to centre-forward. Towards the end, he was right-back again.

Nobody from outside the Holland camp thought he would reach a century in such unfamiliar territory but Louis van Gaal had been plotting his new defensive role for five weeks. Away from the glare of the cameras, Kuyt had been prepped for it in training games since the squad convened in mid-May.

The milestone was made all the more poignant because it fell on the anniversary of his father’s death. When Klaas-Jan Huntelaar sent the ball past Mexico’s Guillermo Ochoa, Kuyt sank to his knees and pointed to the sky. It was a touching moment – a victory the Fenerbahce player deserved to revel in.

Little wonder Robin van Persie singled him out in the dressing-room at full-time. “We have given Dirk a very nice gift for his 100th international game. I had a little speech for him in the locker room. I told him I am so proud of him and that he is an example for young and old,” Van Persie said. “There are only seven players who have reached this number of internationals in Oranje. He stayed a long time stabbing away on 98. It is fantastic, if anyone deserves this, it’s him.’’

The heat was so stifling in Fortaleza many of those in the stands moved into shaded seating. The mercury hit 38C at one point in the first half. Kuyt was playing on the left, the sun beating down on him. The second half should have given him some slight respite on the shaded section of the pitch. Instead, he was switched to the right.

While those around him wilted, Kuyt was red-faced but kept going. Rafael Benítez christened him Mr Duracell at Liverpool in 2009, when he was in his prime. Now 33, his work-rate remains as extraordinarily high, his dedication never questioned.

If Louis van Gaal’s self-praise afterwards seemed a tad overbearing – “Did you see what I did?” he asked during his press conference, in case the change of formation went over the heads of some – he owed much to Kuyt.

Van Gaal’s relaying of instructions during the 75th-minute water break was akin to a basketball coach staging a time-out in the dying embers of the fourth quarter. All Van Gaal was missing was a whiteboard and marker.

Arjen Robben’s move to the right was credited as the key to their comeback, but Kuyt was as influential. He was the one that won the corner in the lead up to Wesley Sneijder’s equaliser and provided crucial support and cover behind Robben.

Sneijder made his 100th appearance against Spain, when Kuyt’s role was on the bench, but Van Gaal knew he could depend on him when called upon.

Even Johan Cruyff, notoriously hard to impress, was effusive in his praise: “You’re blessed as a team when you have someone like him walking around. With Kuyt, you can, at a tactical level, go in all directions.”

There have been murmurs about Kuyt joining Van Gaal at Old Trafford. Initially that sounded unlikely but his performance against Mexico proved he still has something to offer at the highest level.
      http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/30/dirk-kuyt-holland-world-cup-2014-running

Great piece.
      Bier
      Reply #2123: Jun 30, 2014 02:31:02 pm
      Yeah, was a really special game for him, he was quite emotional after the game. He could barely walk at that point. Played in the sun most of the game where it was 39 degrees celcius, yet he still ran 11 kilometers. I read some Dutch players lost 4 kgs during those 90 minutes. Us Dutch aren't made for that heat, I'd die doing a 100 meter sprint in that weather.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2124: Jun 30, 2014 04:58:06 pm
      He started his 100th international at left-wing-back and moved to right-back. When Holland needed to score, he moved to centre-forward. Towards the end, he was right-back again

Dirk Kuyt sat patiently on the fringes, waiting for his chance. Stuck on 98 caps, he watched from the sidelines against Spain and Australia, wondering if he would ever join the 100 club.

The list of Oranje centurions is an impressive one. On Sunday, Kuyt became the seventh to reach triple figures, alongside illustrious company such as Edwin van der Sar and Frank de Boer.

He started his 100th game at left-wing-back and moved to right-back. When Holland needed to score, he moved to centre-forward. Towards the end, he was right-back again.

Nobody from outside the Holland camp thought he would reach a century in such unfamiliar territory but Louis van Gaal had been plotting his new defensive role for five weeks. Away from the glare of the cameras, Kuyt had been prepped for it in training games since the squad convened in mid-May.

The milestone was made all the more poignant because it fell on the anniversary of his father’s death. When Klaas-Jan Huntelaar sent the ball past Mexico’s Guillermo Ochoa, Kuyt sank to his knees and pointed to the sky. It was a touching moment – a victory the Fenerbahce player deserved to revel in.

Little wonder Robin van Persie singled him out in the dressing-room at full-time. “We have given Dirk a very nice gift for his 100th international game. I had a little speech for him in the locker room. I told him I am so proud of him and that he is an example for young and old,” Van Persie said. “There are only seven players who have reached this number of internationals in Oranje. He stayed a long time stabbing away on 98. It is fantastic, if anyone deserves this, it’s him.’’

The heat was so stifling in Fortaleza many of those in the stands moved into shaded seating. The mercury hit 38C at one point in the first half. Kuyt was playing on the left, the sun beating down on him. The second half should have given him some slight respite on the shaded section of the pitch. Instead, he was switched to the right.

While those around him wilted, Kuyt was red-faced but kept going. Rafael Benítez christened him Mr Duracell at Liverpool in 2009, when he was in his prime. Now 33, his work-rate remains as extraordinarily high, his dedication never questioned.

If Louis van Gaal’s self-praise afterwards seemed a tad overbearing – “Did you see what I did?” he asked during his press conference, in case the change of formation went over the heads of some – he owed much to Kuyt.

Van Gaal’s relaying of instructions during the 75th-minute water break was akin to a basketball coach staging a time-out in the dying embers of the fourth quarter. All Van Gaal was missing was a whiteboard and marker.

Arjen Robben’s move to the right was credited as the key to their comeback, but Kuyt was as influential. He was the one that won the corner in the lead up to Wesley Sneijder’s equaliser and provided crucial support and cover behind Robben.

Sneijder made his 100th appearance against Spain, when Kuyt’s role was on the bench, but Van Gaal knew he could depend on him when called upon.

Even Johan Cruyff, notoriously hard to impress, was effusive in his praise: “You’re blessed as a team when you have someone like him walking around. With Kuyt, you can, at a tactical level, go in all directions.”

There have been murmurs about Kuyt joining Van Gaal at Old Trafford. Initially that sounded unlikely but his performance against Mexico proved he still has something to offer at the highest level.
      http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/30/dirk-kuyt-holland-world-cup-2014-running

Great piece.

Still my favourite Liverpool player from the last 10 years for those reasons alone. What a guy.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2125: Jun 30, 2014 05:52:24 pm
      Yeah, was a really special game for him, he was quite emotional after the game. He could barely walk at that point. Played in the sun most of the game where it was 39 degrees celcius, yet he still ran 11 kilometers. I read some Dutch players lost 4 kgs during those 90 minutes. Us Dutch aren't made for that heat, I'd die doing a 100 meter sprint in that weather.

I read about the significance. 7 years to the day his father died, he became the 7th Dutch player to reach 100 caps.

Still my favourite Liverpool player from the last 10 years for those reasons alone. What a guy.

Kuyt was and still is one of my favorites too. Tireless worker who did whatever was asked of him, not to mention a top top attitude.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #2126: Jun 30, 2014 06:02:58 pm

Great piece.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #2127: Jul 01, 2014 12:55:21 am
      He scored goals in big matches. I remember his debut against Tottenham, he was unbelievably active.
      He covered players, made runs off the ball to free up space. He did everything and people still used to stay " but he can't dribble a man out wide..." If he ever comes on this forum ...Well done Dirk we are hugely respectful of your work.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2128: Jul 03, 2014 08:55:45 am
      I was really pleased to see Dirk doing what Dirk does best ,he puts the team first. I expect to see him in goal next match.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #2129: Jul 03, 2014 09:05:00 am
      If he's for sale, sign him BR! :D
      He can still score some important goals, I'm sure of it, and it would be fantastic to see Kuyt lifting the EPL in a red shirt soon.

Yes I'm dreaming but I liked him very much. He was very underated.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #2130: Jul 03, 2014 03:24:14 pm
      Let's just hope to God that the last line in that article doesn't come to pass... :f_wah:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,229 posts | 2807 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2131: Jul 09, 2014 10:13:31 pm
      I have the height of respect for Kuyty. Always works his bollox off.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2132: Jul 09, 2014 10:22:33 pm
      I have the height of respect for Kuyty. Always works his bollox off.

Same as Brian.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2133: Aug 07, 2014 12:03:37 am
      Would have him back at RWB instead of GJ at the moment, cheeky bid? Him and Manquillo to fight it out for the position, wouldn't be bad.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #2134: Aug 08, 2015 10:35:24 pm
      Just noticed Dirk is back at Feyenoord for this season and seems to have the armband.

Pleased for him and a great way to finish his career.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #2135: Aug 08, 2015 10:55:27 pm
      Just noticed Dirk is back at Feyenoord for this season and seems to have the armband.

Pleased for him and a great way to finish his career.

Deserved, what a great servant to our club he was.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #2136: Aug 09, 2015 12:16:41 pm
      Deserved, what a great servant to our club he was.

Always ready to go through a brick wall for our club (and everywhere he played). You don't see his work ethic too often nowadays, also in his private life i've read he is a decent person, down-to-earth type of man. For an example, his wife continued to work as a nurse in an old people's home, until she gave birth to their daughter. Also he has a foundation to help disavantaged children in his country. Top lad.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2137: Aug 09, 2015 12:18:10 pm
      Scored a penalty in a 3-2 win in their first match. Well done, Dirky!
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2138: Aug 09, 2015 01:10:36 pm
      Don't care what anyone says, Kuyt is a legend!

Quick Reply