Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce -> Feyenoord)

Read 256394 times
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Re: Dirk Kuyt Player Thread
      Reply #69: Feb 20, 2008 10:16:13 am
      Dirk to start versus the Boro now Rafa... and Crouch to get used to super sub role... which he is very good at btw.

What a difference 90 minutes makes.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #70: Feb 20, 2008 11:52:47 am
      Well played Dirk...he just needs to keep building on that. He showed some good touches last night and even beat his marker on a few occasions. Keep going lad...
      MsGerrard
      Reply #71: Feb 20, 2008 05:00:00 pm
      Kuyt played well last night, and deserved his goal, does so much running off the ball,  he was playing very wide last night, I kept shouting at him to get in the box. ;D

Hopefully his form is slowly coming back.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #72: Feb 20, 2008 05:13:05 pm
      I feel for crouch if kuyt form is getting back now, he hasnt been able to get a game with kuyt not scoring so imagine him trying to get a game with kuyt scoring.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #73: Feb 20, 2008 05:30:40 pm
      Kuyt had a very good game last night, Rafa has stuck by him, when we where all shouting for his head.

It looks like he is getting back to good form, lets hope Rafa does not rest him now.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #74: Feb 20, 2008 06:23:11 pm
      I honestly dont believe that Kuyt should be written off just yet. I think last night is proof that if the midfield plays well and does its job, Kuyt will score.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #75: Feb 20, 2008 07:36:01 pm
      Even if he does not get the goals as frequently as Torres or Gerrard, I would still want him in the team. He works hard consistently.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #76: Feb 20, 2008 08:07:50 pm
      He does work hard for the team and last night he had a very good game. He deserves all the credit for that.

Still many more games to play though. For the sake of himself and Liverpool, he has to keep improving to the best of his level. I hope there is no complacency from any of the players after a very good performance. Got to keep it up.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #77: Feb 20, 2008 08:16:44 pm
      Dirk played well last night (Inter Milan) and it was good to see him get his reward with a goal as the guy always gives his all and the result may have been a little different without him  (but that we'll never know) still in the end we played well as a unit and thanks to a little luck with Kuyts first we got the result that's cheered me up no end....
      wdavidw10
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #78: Feb 20, 2008 08:26:18 pm
      Well done kuyt! hope he gets more goals!!!
      « Last Edit: Feb 20, 2008 08:29:17 pm by wdavidw10 »
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #79: Feb 20, 2008 09:28:08 pm
      Poor crouchy
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #80: Feb 20, 2008 09:47:18 pm
      Sorry to spoil the optimism, but I can't see Kuyt regaining any sort of goalscoring form, considering he's never had one. :D

Poor lad, I pity him, and I truly hope he does find form and improve, because otherwise Rafa wasted 9million and the bearded one doesn't seem to want to admit his mistake and drop the lad.

Honestly hope he gets better, but how can Crouch not start after the clear difference he made vs Inter? He's a far superior player to Kuyt. The only reason Benitez should start Kuyt is if it's in a system that Crouch can't play in, and even then Kuyt is probably not the best option, but Rafa seems to proceed with the Dutchman anyway. For instance, we often play a sort of 4-3-3 these days, and I can't see the positives to playing Kuyt as a wing forward. The lad has no pace and can't beat a man, so why bother? It's irritating to see attacks broken down as he turns back away from the goal instead of trying to beat the man like Babel does. Fair enuf Ryan doesn't always manage it, but at least he shows intent and shows the ability to every once in a while beat his man and fashion a scoring opportunity for himself or someone else in the box.
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      Reply #81: Feb 20, 2008 10:03:45 pm

Honestly hope he gets better, but how can Crouch not start after the clear difference he made vs Inter? He's a far superior player to Kuyt. The only reason Benitez should start Kuyt is if it's in a system that Crouch can't play in, and even then Kuyt is probably not the best option, but Rafa seems to proceed with the Dutchman anyway.

Crouch relies on daring one-two touches to score; he first touch has to be very good for him to be effective. Kuyt on the other hand has a very extensve movement and work rate. Crouch can not bring to an LFC game, what Kuyt brings. Crouch has good reflexes and often thinks two moves ahead, but he is slow and most of the time he gives a maximum of two touches to the ball and then passes. He never really moves aggressively with the ball. kinda slow. Reminds me of Kanu
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #82: Feb 20, 2008 10:13:28 pm
      Crouch has one of the beset first touches in our entire team. He sets up other people more than having a go himself but chooses the right time to. He is a great player, berbatov isnt the quickest either but he works wround it as dose crouch.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #83: Feb 20, 2008 10:51:16 pm
      I agree with lil cisse. Playing alongside Torres (or in Berba's case, Robbie Keane) means Crouch isn't required to make quick runs or dribble alot with the ball. It's his first touch that sets him apart. He can control a ball on his chest (where most high balls go anyway :D) or his feet, and he has excellent close control whilst dribbling, making it hard to take it off him. One of the things he's best at is taking a ball down on his chest from a cross and firing in a shot. It's something Kuyt can't do, and whilst Kuyt may be more hardworking than Crouch, saying he's quicker is not true. Dirky is slow as a turtle and so is Crouch, but at least Crouch tends to do something with the ball when he gets it!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #84: Feb 20, 2008 10:57:36 pm
      They both have great qualities but i agree crouch has the better of the two, his close control is excellent and essential.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #85: Feb 20, 2008 10:58:45 pm
      Slag him off after his best performance why don't you. It's unfair to make out he's never been good, every fan was raving about him last season, then his father died & he's been a shadow of the player since. I think it's plain to see it's a severe dip in form rather than a case of never having had the talent, hopefully last night was the beginning of him coming out the other side.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #86: Feb 21, 2008 04:05:50 pm
      Im not slagging him off iv'e always said hes capable of being alot better than people make him out to be and stated the reasons for him having a bad spell. But i just think crouch is better and i feel sorry for him because if kuyt regains his form and crouch couldnt get a game when kuyt was playing bad what chance does he have with kuyt scoring? That would make me think Crouch would be sold and kuyt would stay and i dont think thats fair kuyt obviously has the talent he just needed time to show it and the faith of his manager and he has had that.

But i was just stating i dont think crouch has had a fair chance this season and it doesnt look like things are about to get better for him does it. Im delighted kuyt is scoring goals again he works so hard every game and always seems to give his all but i just feel sorry for peter crouch who always seems to go through alot and cant do anything to prove his how good he is to be honest because he seems like he wont get a chance to.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #87: Feb 21, 2008 09:06:15 pm
      I think some of what you say is right Eddie, Kuyt did have a good game Tuesday but I think his lack of goals in the Prem was evident before his Dad died. Mabey he needs to play more as an out and out Striker for us to see the best in him, and not a deep lying supporting striker. Then of course his work rate won't be so effective, so what do we really want from him ? In the role he's given at the moment, I just don't think he's good enough for the prem !
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #88: Feb 21, 2008 09:27:51 pm
      Slag him off after his best performance why don't you. It's unfair to make out he's never been good, every fan was raving about him last season, then his father died & he's been a shadow of the player since. I think it's plain to see it's a severe dip in form rather than a case of never having had the talent, hopefully last night was the beginning of him coming out the other side.
      #

Eddie do you think Kuyt would benefit if he wasn't asked to drop so deep and instead hung around in the box or off the last man like a predatory striker? His last two goals I think were pretty similar, in and around the box, one chance = goal.

I've never really associated him as a player who can go past defenders. I admire his work rate chasing players and running back to defend but I think he misses opportunities. There was a cross the other night , I don't know if you recall it. Maybe a cut back from Torres and Kuyt arrived a few seconds too late and I just thought if only he was hanging there in the first place.
       I like him and think that given the chance he could have a good run of form.
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      Reply #89: Feb 22, 2008 07:18:18 am
      They both have great qualities but I agree crouch has the better of the two, his close control is excellent and essential.

Every time Crouch has started a game, his performance has been below standard. You expect a player like that to prove to everyone that he deserves a start. I don't agree with the notion that playing alongside Torres should take some of the pressure off him. Crouch is brilliant sometimes, but most of the times he gives everyone High blood pressure! It is not enough to always rely on those high balls, control it with the chest and then not score. We need more of Kuyt's work rate in the team. Crouch is the Super sub.

If we are ever through with Kuyt, we better have enough money to buy Samuel Eto'o or someone else. The team's No 1 & 2 Striker is too big a responsibility to heap on Crouch. He is the perfect sub that provide that brilliant alternative approach to the game.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #90: Feb 22, 2008 02:42:56 pm
      haha he gets too much stick, high balls arent his choice are they he is better with the ball at his feet and he knows it so do you yhink he would ask for passes to his feet or his chest? It seems everyone is happy for him to go in the summer because that is what will happen if this continues, you can count on it, he isnt going to want to be a benchwarmer when he was our best striker last season why should he now be fourth choice.

Everyone expects goals from our strikers all the time and crouch has nearly always got them, i feel his treatment this season has been awful and think he is strong to come through it because in january he could have said i did so much for this club last season and now you just leave me on the bench. 
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      Reply #91: Feb 23, 2008 01:37:40 pm

Everyone expects goals from our strikers all the time and crouch has nearly always got them, I feel his treatment this season has been awful and think he is strong to come through it because in january he could have said I did so much for this club last season and now you just leave me on the bench. 

Last season, I think he had 16 - 20 games without a goal! and Rafa kept starting with him. Why should he complain now that he features in nearly every game from the bench. He is a good player and Rafa is using him productively.

Quick Reply