Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce -> Feyenoord)

Read 257770 times
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Re: Dirk Kuyt Player Thread
      Reply #92: Feb 23, 2008 01:42:15 pm
      last season he scored so many goals for us. I dont think it was last season that happened either. So your saying if you were him you would be happy to be on the bench every game after what he did last season, im sure if kuyt hadnt scored in the last 2 you would have a different view.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #93: Feb 23, 2008 01:56:26 pm
      last season he scored so many goals for us. I dont think it was last season that happened either. So your saying if you were him you would be happy to be on the bench every game after what he did last season, im sure if kuyt hadnt scored in the last 2 you would have a different view.

The 16-20 match goal drought was in his first season at Anfiled.

Because of his performance last season, especially in the Champions league, I wondered why Rafa was ignoring him, but he has had games where he started as the lead striker and didn't deliver the goods. Him playing alongside Torres will require a third player doing what Kuyt does as Crouch is incapable of doing that.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #94: Feb 23, 2008 02:15:29 pm
      ;D Im sure last time crouch and torres started together as strike partners crouch scored and set up torres goal. But if you think a kuyt type player is needed with crouch and Torres together than thats your opinion, i however think different and its been proven they dont need him playing at the same time as them two in order to be effective.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #95: Feb 23, 2008 02:24:41 pm
      Nuff said!  ;D
      adam17
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #96: Feb 24, 2008 07:31:06 pm
      Last season, I think he had 16 - 20 games without a goal! and Rafa kept starting with him. Why should he complain now that he features in nearly every game from the bench. He is a good player and Rafa is using him productively.

I don't think Rafa's using him productively. OK he's scored a couple lately but when else apart from working hard has he made a telling contribution.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Kuyt: Rafas the best, and I will improve
      Reply #97: Mar 16, 2008 07:09:32 pm
      Dirk Kuyt has described Rafael Benitez as 'the best manager he has ever had' and aims to repay the Spaniard for his support by helping to fire Liverpool to more Champions League glory.
      The Dutchman admits he has endured a difficult season following the death of his father last year but believes he can now see light at the end of the tunnel and feels he is about to prove just how important he can be to Liverpool's future.

"You always give your best as a player but sometimes you can have problems mentally," said Kuyt.

"It was difficult to concentrate on football after my father died but I feel it is all behind me now. Sometimes things just need time for you to recover.

"People don't know what is happening with players behind the scenes. Everybody knows I have had a hard time privately, and I am just coming out of it.

"I've played better in the past few games, I have scored a few important goals and I have provided a few assists.

"It was the first time anything like this had happened to me and it has made me only stronger. Now I feel much better than a few months ago, I want to carry on and show I am a good player."

Kuyt's recent upturn in form has seen him play a significant role in Liverpool's seven match winning streak - including a vital goal in a 2-0 win over Inter Milan - and he insists it was Benitez's support during the difficult times that helped him to come through it and he now wants to reward his manager with another European Cup success.

"It would be really special to repay him by winning the Champions League," continued Kuyt.

"He is a really great manager. In the period when it was hard for me, when I had some problems, he was there for me.

"That he cared what happened to me outside the pitch means a lot. He is the best manager I've had.

"Playing football has been like a medicine for me. When you play great games, such as against Inter Milan in the Champions League, you can devote all your energy to what happens on the pitch.

"Hopefully, I can keep going like this and we can do well in the league and Champions League. We lost the final last year, we definitely want to be there again this time."

While the Reds' hopes of a third Champions League final appearance in four seasons remains their only realistic chance of silverware this year, they must still maintain a push for fourth spot in the Premier League.

A 2-1 win over Reading has helped them to consolidate that position ahead of next weekend's crunch trip to Old Trafford and Kuyt feels it is about time Liverpool got a result that past performances have against United have not been rewarded by.

Kuyt added: "We were a bit unlucky in our recent games against United, so hopefully we will get that luck this time.

"It is unbelievable. We deserved something more from those games.

"I think when you are at Liverpool you want to win every game, and especially against Man United.It is a really big game coming up and we really want to show we can beat them.

"United have a quality team. Only in the past six or seven games have we shown it."

Source from www.lfc.tv
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Kuyt: Rafas the best, and I will improve
      Reply #98: Mar 18, 2008 12:19:35 pm
      Top man Kuyt is and i agree with every single word he says. I am confident that he will improve, he was a 30 goal a season striker on two occassions in the Dutch league. Even if it is significantly inferior to the top 5 leagues scoring 30 goals is a mean fete.
      admski
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #99: Mar 18, 2008 12:25:21 pm
      totally agree but if he wants to get back to scoring ways he has to be a lot more selfish
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #100: Mar 18, 2008 05:39:56 pm
      Works so hard for the team, just wish he could apply himself a bit more in front of goal. Was delighted for him when he scored against Inter.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #101: Mar 18, 2008 07:39:10 pm
      Kuyt has what it takes to be a great striker and he work hard aswell. we should respect him cuz after all he plays his heart out for us, goals or no goals! seen alot of posts where he have been targeted by some ppl. i feel that he will be vital for us next season, if he stays at Anfield!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #102: Mar 18, 2008 07:43:08 pm
      Kuyt's a great player who's had a really bad turn of events for him this season. I know that it sounds like excuses when we roll out the old arguments for him - he lost his father this year and that was the reason for his loss of form. Well I may not be a professional footballer, but my father died four years ago when I was only 25 and it was a hell of shock to me. I was living abroad, I hadn't seen him for 2 years, and it happened very quickly and unexpectedly.

Now I can't imagine the added pressure of  having a Premiership career, in a position where if you don't score every other game then the media are on your back, scouring your every move. I had a hell of a hard time getting back to my job 2 weeks after burying the man who meant the world to me without ever having said it to him, and again, this wasn't in the Premiership limelight.

I've not been on Kuyt's back because I can relate to him, what he is feeling. And I can say in all honesty that it isn't a couple of months that are going to bring back the best of him. But I can say that he deserves another season to prove himself, and that his recent improvement shows a hell of a strong character that is deserving of the Liverpool shirt. He may not have the best technique but he deserves his chance, and I think that Rafa understands this because he sees him every day at the training ground and not just on match day. He sees the man behind the number, what many of us forget (including myself) when a player has a bad spell.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #103: Mar 18, 2008 07:44:39 pm
      I agree. You can't really blame the chap for his poor run of form. His dad's death, playing out of position and then Nando coming in must have his confidence in tatters. He's always chasing down lost causes, right into the final minutes of games. You can't fault him once you remember that he's a goal poacher and not a right winger. You don't hear him complain about that though either.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #104: Mar 18, 2008 09:44:53 pm
      A goal poacher? He can barely finish...

Sorry but he's all hustle no end product for me. Okay he scored against Barnsley, then a deflected goal v Inter but that's hardly scintillating form and it doesn't make up for the countless times he's scuffed it, stopped an attack dead in its tracks or just been plain poor. I don't think he's good enough and paying 9million for him was crazy. Honestly hope he proves me wrong, but when you look at an attack that contains Babel, Gerrard and Torres, you'd say he's no where near their level and is the weak point in our side.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #105: Mar 18, 2008 10:18:11 pm
      I've been frustrated this season, there's no doubt about it. But I do keep his father passing away in mind. I think we'll just have to wait and see if he can improve on the field.

I'm wondering if he'll ever be good enough though - in his right position. The level has been raised and some of the chances missed this season would have us in a very good chance for the title.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #106: Mar 18, 2008 10:28:52 pm
      You just have to look on youtube for a compilation of his Feyenoord goals. That's what he's capable of. It reminds me of the Morientes situation a bit.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #107: Mar 18, 2008 10:39:08 pm
      You just have to look on youtube for a compilation of his Feyenoord goals. That's what he's capable of. It reminds me of the Morientes situation a bit.

I think Dirk is still capable of his Feyenoord form here at Liverpool, I haven't been his biggest fan since he arrived, but still think he will come good hopefully next season. But if Rafa buys a big name striker next season, surely Dirk will lose alot more confidence, yeah he works hard for the team as we all no, and he would prob stay anyway if rafa bought a big name striker. but having dirk how he is playing now, coupled with a new striker next season which most fans seem to think were gonna buy then i cant see a future for him here in the coming seasons.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #108: Mar 18, 2008 10:45:59 pm
      Of course. He was good back home. But that's why I wonder if he'll ever be good enough here. Different league and in all fairness a higher level. I hope it doesn't turn into another Morientes situation. But I do think he's capable of having more of an effect on games compared to how Morientes did.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #109: Mar 18, 2008 10:50:15 pm
      Of course. He was good back home. But that's why I wonder if he'll ever be good enough here. Different league and in all fairness a higher level. I hope it doesn't turn into another Morientes situation. But I do think he's capable of having more of an effect on games compared to how Morientes did.

Yep a higher level here, but he does show he can handle that task, runs everywhere, doing other players jobs, at the west ham game recently he was shoving Carra out the way to clear the ball. Dont think its the fitness level or anything else like that. He can mix it with the best of em in our league but just his lack of goals lets him down big time.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #110: Mar 18, 2008 11:06:25 pm
      Lack of goals and first touch I'd say. When I talk about the level here, I don't mean coping with the fitness aspect, I mean time on the ball. Something he may have had a little bit more of back home.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #111: Mar 18, 2008 11:08:55 pm
      not sure kuyt can regain his goal scoring form while hes playing on the right, but lets face it hes not doing bad out ther assisting torres every week
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #112: Mar 18, 2008 11:13:29 pm
      Lack of goals and first touch I'd say. When I talk about the level here, I don't mean coping with the fitness aspect, I mean time on the ball. Something he may have had a little bit more of back home.

I agree with back home he had more time on the ball. And yes not as much here. But 2 seasons now he has been here he must of had plenty of time to sort that aspect out. Even Masch is doing extra training on his shots at goal and passes, and its just started to pay off.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #113: Mar 18, 2008 11:29:36 pm
      We can only wait and see can't we Macca. No doubt it's a confidence thing as well. I think it's fair to say on goal scoring form, this season has been a write off for him - but not entirely his fault.
      As LFC9 points out, he's not doing too bad playing out of position for what that brings to the team lately. But I'd much rather see him scoring goals, like he used to do back home.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #114: Mar 19, 2008 10:58:07 pm
      I'm just watching some of his highlights on lfc.tv, and it's reminded me that he did have a good shot on him, and some lovely touches. Last season he was looking a very promising player, you only have to read through past posts on here to see what people thought of him. Obviously none of us know for certain what's gone wrong for him this season, but it would be a pretty safe bet that the death of his dad has been a big part of it. Purely for his workrate alone he is a great option to have, especially when defending a lead. If he can also start to rediscover some of the goalscoring form I've just been watching then it'll be great news for him & the club.

Quick Reply