Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce -> Feyenoord)

Read 256331 times
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Re: Dirk Kuyt
      Reply #46: Oct 26, 2007 02:24:49 pm
      Interview with Kuyt from the official site

How good was it to win at the home of one of your biggest rivals last weekend?

It's always nice to win the derby. Everyone knows what happened last year and we really wanted something different this time. I'm really glad we beat them and I think we deserved to win. It was two penalties but if you look at the chances we had enough to score more.

Was that your best moment in a red shirt?

I think so. It was really important to score in the last minute and it was definitely one of the best feelings I've had so far.

Was it planned that you'd take any penalties on the day?

I was on the list together with Andriy Voronin and we decided between us that I would take them. I had the confidence that I'd score. I felt strong, I said this to Andriy and he said: 'Okay, you can take it then.'

Were you feeling the pressure as you stepped up to take that second penalty?

There is always pressure on a penalty, especially in really important games like this. The second one particularly was very strange and difficult as well. I knew the goalkeeper would be thinking about which way I'd go with the second penalty. The first one was good, so I went the same, though it could have been a little better. I was very pleased to see it go in.

It must have been a relief to get your first league goals of the season as well?

It's always important for a striker to score goals, especially in the league. Like you said, I hadn't scored so it's nice to be off the mark. I have to keep that going now.

Are you going to take all the penalties now?

We have lots of people who can take good penalties, like Xabi and Stevie, so you'll see other people taking them as well. I'd like to hog them all but the most important thing is to score, and if you always have the same taker it's easier for the goalkeepers.

Looking at your challenge on Phil Neville – were you surprised at the reaction afterwards?

When I saw it on TV I knew it was a bad challenge. By the time I was in the air it was too late to pull out but I never had an intention to touch him, you could see that on TV. It looks really bad but I never intended to touch him – if I had wanted to I could have.

Did you speak to him afterwards?

No, I was too busy celebrating!

You must have taken a lot of confidence into the Besiktas game – what went wrong over there?

I think we were really unlucky. We played quite well. The goal against us was unlucky but we had enough chances to maybe win 3-1 or 4-1. We controlled the game, maybe not for 90 minutes, but we controlled it. That was our best Champions League performance so far. The only thing we can do now is try to forget about the result before the next game against Arsenal because that's really big for us.

Liverpool had 28 chances on the night. As a striker do you look at that and feel disappointed?

Of course we feel disappointed but I think you have to say the goalkeeper did a good job. He made a couple of magnificent saves from Steven Gerrard. Sometimes you get the luck, sometimes you don't – that's football. But it's not good to keep looking back. We have to look forward because we are still in with a shout of reaching the second round of the Champions League. We have a good squad and have the confidence and belief that we can progress.

How do you rate your chances of getting out of a group in which you're currently bottom?

It will be really difficult but we have three games to go – we can still get 10 points and if we do that I believe we will go through.

No thoughts about the UEFA Cup just yet, then?

No. You still have to believe in the Champions League. They are difficult games but we are at home so it should be possible to do it against Besiktas and Porto. Then we have to see what happens in Marseille.

How big a blow would it be if we didn't progress, considering expectations at the start of the campaign?

It would be a big blow for all the players because we work really hard and we not only want to win the Premier League, we also want the Champions League. We all know what happened last year in the final and we never want that to happen again. We have to believe.

How easy will it be to forget that result when Arsenal come to Anfield on Sunday?

We just have to keep going on, but I don't think we played as bad as some people have said on Wednesday. We have the belief we can beat Arsenal, especially with the crowd behind us.

How vital is it you do win on Sunday if you're to mount a serious title challenge?

It is really important. It's still a long season but this game could take us to within three points of the leaders.

Arsenal are playing some terrific football right now – how do you go about stopping them?

I think we have to look at how they can stop us. Okay, they have a really good team with young, talented players. It will be really difficult but we also have a strong team and I'm sure they're not happy about having to come to Anfield. I think we showed against Everton that we're on the way back. The quality in the team will start to show.

There's been a lot of talk about Cesc Fabregas but who else do you need to look out for?

Van Persie is a dangerman but unfortunately for him he's injured. He's really dangerous for them, like Fabregas, but they have a lot of good players.

Van Persie is a friend of yours, have you spoken to him about the game?

Not yet because he's injured and feeling disappointed. Maybe I will ring him, see how he's going and see what he thinks about the game. Maybe he can tell me a few secrets about Arsenal!

Will you rub it in afterwards if we win?

We'll have to see, but I have the confidence we will win.

It was 4-1 last time they came to Anfield. Will that give you confidence going into this one?

We played well and I think we always tend to play well against Arsenal at home, but it's a different year.

You're still unbeaten in the league – how desperate are the players to keep that going?

As a professional and a Liverpool player you never want to lose – it is always painful. We have to keep winning and hopefully we can give them their first defeat on Sunday.

How do you assess our title chances from what you've seen so far?

Arsenal are doing a good job and also Man Utd are really strong this year, so there are several teams who can win it. We just have to win each of our games but I'm confident we can be really close. Everyone believes we can do it, you can see that in training every day. Everyone is working really hard to make sure we're there at the end of the season. The players have confidence - we believe we have the quality to do it.

Top bloke is Dirk. Always positive and loved the bit about being too busy celebrating to speak to Phil 'Keeper' Neville.

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Re: Dirk Kuyt Player Thread
      Reply #47: Oct 27, 2007 09:32:51 am
      Kuyt needs a rest. Along with Voro. Both need a confidence injection - would play them both versus Cardiff...
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #48: Oct 27, 2007 01:35:13 pm
      I'd actually play Babel/Kewell up front against Cardiff....
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #49: Nov 08, 2007 10:22:49 pm
      I would actually sell Kuyt.

Upfront we've got Babel, Torres, Crouch & Voronin... so why do we need Kuyt who lacks decent technique, passing, footwork and pace? We should sell him on, I like the guy and his brilliant attitude.. I just feel that we can do better.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #50: Nov 09, 2007 12:29:24 am
      I agree; if Babel/Crouch continues this form, one of Voronin and Kuyt have to be sold; they'll very similar players.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #51: Nov 09, 2007 11:36:25 am
      I've been a little two minded when it comes to Kuyt. The knee-jerk reaction to his poor performance in front of goal against Blackburn when it seemed harder to miss, was that he is not good enough to be one of 2 lethal strikers. Some will argue that its been a while now since he's delivered a noteworthy performance in front of goal. He came with a reputation as a goal scorer in Holland but hasn't reproduced the kind of consistent form he did back home. That's not to say that he never will though...

The english game has certainly required adjusting to. The pace is frenetic and relentless. Against better defenses, forwards are not allowed any time or space to dwell on the ball. A striker therefore has to tweak his style in order to be effective or he simply won't be. Kuyt works very hard and defends from the front and his first game in the Premiership with El Nino we saw signs of a decent strike pairing in the making. Whether that's been checked by rotation or inconsistency only the stats will tell. What is certain is that (in the absence of Torres) Benitez seems more likely to pick Kuyt than he is to not pick him and he hasn't taken the chances as far as scoring is concerned.

We see that as Kuyt's form dips, Crouch gets in and amongst the goals and now we interested to see him partner Torres in future matches. But I won't take anything away from Kuyt regarding his commitment to Liverpool Football Club. He never stops running and always is always on a defender's shoulder giving him a hard time. Yes we can't be sentimental but I'm sure he still has more to give and may yet prove to be a matchwinner on a more consistent basis as we challenge for number 19.

Walk on...
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #52: Nov 09, 2007 04:01:21 pm
      i think most people can see that dirk is not one of our more gifted players.

i would say crouch and torres are the two most lethal strikers we have and the main thing with dirk is that if we do keep him till the end of the season & beyond, which is highly likely with rafa's liking for hard working players,
      i think the one thing not to do, is partner him with voronin.

when these two play together we are toothless.

play him with crazy legs or nando until he's replaced with something better.
      Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Kuyt
      Reply #53: Dec 16, 2007 10:28:28 pm
      I think he should play as a striker and stop dropping back and going out wide and playing as a second striker. His touch isnt good enough, in the last few games he's been slow to play passes and given the ball away to much and when he drifts out wide we dont have the people in the box for the cross.
      He is most effective as an out and out striker, the goals he scored against Chelsea last year and Marseille last week prove that. The only benefit is he puts pressure on the midfield and defence of the opposition to make mistakes but i dont think thats enough to justify playing where he does.

He could be getting on the end of crosses and heading in goals, he would cause defences more problems and create space for someone like Gerrard or Benayoun to get on the end of a loose clearance. I wouldnt mind the odd game or when we need to but not every game.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #54: Dec 16, 2007 11:54:01 pm
      There is no doubt that Kuyt works one of the most in the team, but he hasn't been blessed with great skills but he works to become better. Obviously he had a shocker last night, he needs more pace, and quite clearly we can buy a better forward than him. But we do have Crouch who mightn't be fast but he can win it in the air. Kuyt is my favourite player at the moment but he just isn't doing alot of good, he just needs to be able to take on defenders, or be able to put in a killer pass for his striker alongside him. Kuyt's goals this season haven't really been made by his own skill but some of them being at the right position at the time. I think Kuyt was brought to fill the void last year and will not be at Liverpool in 4 years. I hope he doesn't leave but it might be just Rafa that has alot of faith in him.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #55: Dec 17, 2007 12:18:56 am
      I think he should play as a striker and stop dropping back and going out wide and playing as a second striker. His touch isnt good enough, in the last few games he's been slow to play passes and given the ball away to much and when he drifts out wide we dont have the people in the box for the cross.
      He is most effective as an out and out striker, the goals he scored against Chelsea last year and Marseille last week prove that. The only benefit is he puts pressure on the midfield and defence of the opposition to make mistakes but I dont think thats enough to justify playing where he does.

He could be getting on the end of crosses and heading in goals, he would cause defences more problems and create space for someone like Gerrard or Benayoun to get on the end of a loose clearance. I wouldnt mind the odd game or when we need to but not every game.

I fully concur that playing Kuyt outside the box is a sheer waste of time. For god's sake Rafa has to understand that Kuyt is not Maradona and he just simply to not have the skills, speed and ball control to whizz pass defenders. How many times  we have seen that already. He must be inside the box to join in the melee and create the scoring chances.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #56: Feb 02, 2008 03:22:50 pm
      Dropped from the Holland side.  Deserves to be dropped from the Liverpool side.

I wonder if he will play today.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #57: Feb 02, 2008 03:24:38 pm

Needs to be dropped in the Mersey  :D :D
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #58: Feb 02, 2008 03:42:42 pm

Please not, please!

Needs to be dropped in the Mersey  :D :D

Classic!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #59: Feb 04, 2008 10:30:37 am
      He will be one of those players who when he does move on will score for fun at his new club.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #60: Feb 04, 2008 11:23:09 am
      He will be one of those players who when he does move on will score for fun at his new club.

Dirk's dad's death has been a massive hit on the lad, I hope he recovers form BEFORE he ever leaves the club.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #61: Feb 04, 2008 01:07:25 pm
      One of the few things i blame rafa for is the downfall of dirk kuyt. I think he should never have tried to put him in that deeper lying strikers role, its like putting Nistelrooy there. Kuyt was a goal poacher before he came here and now he has just had to change his game completely. Riise is now suffering from the same kind of thing, He is now told to concentrate on defending instead of both attacking and defending so now he just seems crap.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #62: Feb 04, 2008 01:11:11 pm
      One of the few things I blame rafa for is the downfall of dirk kuyt. I think he should never have tried to put him in that deeper lying strikers role, its like putting Nistelrooy there. Kuyt was a goal poacher before he came here and now he has just had to change his game completely. Riise is now suffering from the same kind of thing, He is now told to concentrate on defending instead of both attacking and defending so now he just seems crap.

You seem to prove a point.

World class players can play in most roles within their "zone" on the field - e.g. they usually have to adapt when they join their national squads.

Dirk won't need to be doing that for a while... seeing he has just been dropped by Van Basten - who said something along the lines of "when he plays better for Liverpool, we will look at the situation again".
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #63: Feb 04, 2008 01:20:42 pm
      Yes this is what i mean, he can score goals theres no doubting he has the ability. One big thing i have noticed is one of his traits back in holland seemed to be that when his team mates where tired approaching 90 minutes he would still be running and had the ability to score goals that won games for the team.

I think rafa saw this and has tried to use it in a different way which was a big mistake. We need either a player who can link up the midfield to the front men effectively or to use our wingers in a better way either one or the other, to see the best from kuyt as then he will really have no choice but to stay in the box and poach goals. 
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #64: Feb 04, 2008 02:39:42 pm
      Kuyt's technique is very poor for an International football player. He is scrappy and seems like one of those players who'll burst his lungs for the ball and then give it away as soon as he's won it.

We payed £10m for him, can't believe that! We would be lucky to get half of that now...
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #65: Feb 07, 2008 01:34:17 am
      Kuyt's technique is very poor for an International football player. He is scrappy and seems like one of those players who'll burst his lungs for the ball and then give it away as soon as he's won it.

We payed £10m for him, can't believe that! We would be lucky to get half of that now...

Ra Ra, Have you been writing articles for kop-tv.com :lmao:

http://kop-tv.com/go/transfer-news/united-ready-to-lure-kuyt-with-5m-offer/

After failing to seal a deal with £13million-rated Peter Crouch, Newcastle United gaffer Kevin Keegan, has set his sights on Dutch misfit Dirk Kuyt and will try to lure the (recently dropped) International star to St. James’ Park during the summer break.

Keegan will tempt the Reds’ money-men with an offer believed to be in the region of £5million, which could be seen as a decent return on a player who has failed to nail down a regular starting slot at Anfield since his £10million switch from Feyenoord during the summer of 2006.

With Rafa Benitez expected to swing the axe in a mass overhaul of his squad this summer, Dirk could feel his days at Anfield are numbered and the attraction of remaining in the Premier League could be enough to tempt the 27-year-old to the North-East.

Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #66: Feb 20, 2008 09:19:48 am
      2 goals in 2 games! You can still catch up to fernando this season!

COME ON DIRKY!  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #67: Feb 20, 2008 09:25:45 am
      Loving the positivity Venom-C :D

I've always been confident Kuyt would regain form, but I wasn't certain if it would happen before the end of this season, and accepted he would have to go if it didn't.

I hope this isn't a false dawn, and gives Dirk the confidence needed to pull out of his poor form.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #68: Feb 20, 2008 09:51:55 am
      let the floodgates open, Dirk....keep on scoring mate...well done

Quick Reply