Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

John Arne Riise - Player Thread

Read 35681 times
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Re: John Arne Riise - Player Thread
      Reply #23: Sep 24, 2007 06:40:07 pm
      When we first got him he was class, but in the past few seasons he has just gone downhill, i think many people refuse to see that he can't defend, because of his goals, but how many of these does he score in a season? Other than his shot he's got nothing going for him.

I used to say the same about...who was it again... former Captain...most medals...oh yeah...Phil Neal.

All he could do was take penalties, I'd say, and put crosses in sometimes.

My view on JAR remains that whilst he may no longer be an automatic choice for DL, and is essentially a back-up ML, he is, and has been, a solid member of the LFC team, and IMO we have yet to see the best of him.

The dynamics of a team are not always apparent to us fans. Maybe Riise's value is to do with his presence (I'm speculating), as well as his skill and experience.

I don't think he has been playing that well so far this season, but he's hardly alone in that, and he has been injured.

Riise on the bench I have no problem with - but sold-on would be drastic, unless another LB came in.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #24: Sep 24, 2007 09:20:23 pm
      How many left backs do you want us to have?
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #25: Sep 24, 2007 09:26:37 pm
      How many left backs do you want us to have?
      As many as we currently have. If one comes in - another can go.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #26: Sep 24, 2007 09:30:01 pm
      As many as we currently have. If one comes in - another can go.

So that's 3 then?
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #27: Sep 24, 2007 09:35:03 pm

I think you're right - in terms of the first team. Three is a reasonable number to me - defenders are generally more prone to suspension and it would be very unfortunate if all were unavailable at the same time for some reason.

What's your issue with how many? How many do you think we should have?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #28: Sep 24, 2007 09:48:12 pm
      Riise on the bench I have no problem with - but sold-on would be drastic, unless another LB came in.

This is why I think his days could be numbered. There was obvious interest in the summer with Heinze and I don't think that interest for a well equiped defensive left back will have gone away. I know he's played left mid for us but is that really his best position and can he compete for a regular place in that position?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #29: Sep 24, 2007 09:49:15 pm
      I think that Riise is a saleable asset.

I don't think he is a outstanding left back, nor an outstanding left winger but has been very useful for us in past season.

It's my personal opinion that we have enough first team cover for left back in Arbeloa and Aurelio, and we should be encouraging some of the players who moved up from the youth side and reserves, who moved to Melwood this summer, to take over the 'third' choice slot - something we kind of did with Stephen Warnock.

If a big offer came in for Riise, and it could be ploughed back in to the team - then I would sell him.
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #30: Sep 24, 2007 10:04:46 pm
      If a big offer came in for Riise, and it could be ploughed back in to the team - then I would sell him.

I think that's logical - and could be applied to a lot of players.

Your point about bringing players on is a good one - but I have yet to be convinced that Aurelio is a long-term asset, although Arbeloa looks a very good buy. I don't just say "don't sell Riise" because I like him, which I do - but because I think we still need him. I support the "no sentimentality" philosophy, but I wouldn't go touting him just yet, either. It could be that Aurelio is the one Rafa is looking to improve upon.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #31: Sep 25, 2007 11:20:15 am
      If we could get the right money I would definitely sell Riise.

I really think his days are numbered at Anfield, if you look at the fact that Rafa prefers a natural right back ahead of him, the fact that he tried to sign Heinze, even if you look through the match threads on here & see how many people put him in their predicted lineup, who honestly thinks he has a future at the club?
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #32: Sep 25, 2007 12:02:29 pm
      If we could get the right money I would definitely sell Riise.

I really think his days are numbered at Anfield, if you look at the fact that Rafa prefers a natural right back ahead of him, the fact that he tried to sign Heinze, even if you look through the match threads on here & see how many people put him in their predicted lineup, who honestly thinks he has a future at the club?

I would think Riise has a future at the club.  On form he is a quality player, there's no doubt about that.  Rafa Benitez favours Arbeloa because he is better defensively, simple as that.
      I wasn't too fussed that we lost out on Heinze to be honest.  It was a long drawn out saga that reminded me a lot of the Christian Ziege signing.  Houllier chased Ziege for so long only for him to be a major flop.  That's not to say that Heinze would have been a flop, but he had just recovered from a serious knee injury, and IMO there are better options out there.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #33: Sep 25, 2007 12:06:43 pm
      I would think Riise has a future at the club.  On form he is a quality player, there's no doubt about that.  Rafa Benitez favours Arbeloa because he is better defensively, simple as that.

And he favours Aurelio as an attacking option at left back, so where does Riise fit in?
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #34: Sep 25, 2007 12:21:06 pm
      And he favours Aurelio as an attacking option at left back, so where does Riise fit in?

He fits in to Benitez's rotation policy like every other player at the club.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #35: Sep 25, 2007 12:42:04 pm
      He fits in to Benitez's rotation policy like every other player at the club.

You can try & be a smartarse or you can actually try to give a proper answer, I would reccomend the latter.

Could you try & explain, if you are capable of doing so, exactly where in Rafa's rotation policy Riise would fit in? Aurelio was brought in to be the offensive option at left back ahead of Riise, and if it wasn't for Aurelio's injury Riise would probably already be gone. Rafa was also actively seeking to buy another left back, a defensively minded one in Heinze. When this failed Arbeloa was given the task, do you really think all this would've happened if Rafa rated Riise as good enough?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #36: Sep 25, 2007 12:58:44 pm
      I used to say the same about...who was it again... former Captain...most medals...oh yeah...Phil Neal.

All he could do was take penalties, I'd say, and put crosses in sometimes.

My view on JAR remains that whilst he may no longer be an automatic choice for DL, and is essentially a back-up ML, he is, and has been, a solid member of the LFC team, and IMO we have yet to see the best of him.

The dynamics of a team are not always apparent to us fans. Maybe Riise's value is to do with his presence (I'm speculating), as well as his skill and experience.

I don't think he has been playing that well so far this season, but he's hardly alone in that, and he has been injured.

your telling me that Bob Paisley/Joe Fagan picked a player sorry a captain who didnt offer there team much more then penos! come on be fair 
      Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #37: Sep 25, 2007 12:59:06 pm
      Could he be an option to play on the left midfield only and never in defence ?
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #38: Sep 25, 2007 01:00:34 pm
      Quote from EddieC  link=topic=828.msg55878#msg55878 date=1190720524
      You can try & be a smartarse or you can actually try to give a proper answer, I would reccomend the latter.

Could you try & explain, if you are capable of doing so, exactly where in Rafa's rotation policy Riise would fit in? Aurelio was brought in to be the offensive option at left back ahead of Riise, and if it wasn't for Aurelio's injury Riise would probably already be gone. Rafa was also actively seeking to buy another left back, a defensively minded one in Heinze. When this failed Arbeloa was given the task, do you really think all this would've happened if Rafa rated Riise as good enough?

I'm not trying to be anything... Just giving my honest opinion.  I think Riise gives Benitez options in Both the left midfield and left full back positions, and he also offers a goal threat when playing in either position.  IMO he is a player who should have a future at the club.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #39: Sep 25, 2007 01:01:29 pm
      Could he be an option to play on the left midfield only and never in defence ?

He doesn't offer too much there either for me, he can't go past players & his crosses hardly ever beat the first man. Apart from his shot he hasn't got too much going for him, I would definitely cash in for the right price.

I'm not trying to be anything... Just giving my honest opinion.  I think Riise gives Benitez options in Both the left midfield and left full back positions, and he also offers a goal threat when playing in either position.  IMO he is a player who should have a future at the club.

Is a goal threat really the main thing you want from either a fullback or a winger? If he could get the basics of either role right it would be a great bonus, but he can't.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #40: Sep 25, 2007 01:04:53 pm
      Riise is a great attacking player who can create wonderful shots on goal and help the team push forward.  One of my concerns about Riise though is that he does go up attacking a little too often and maybe that's why Aurellio is favoured more as he stays back and sets Pennant and Finnan on runs rather than being a hero which Riise has been known to do so many times.  So ok he has scored some craking goals from this but it is a risk when your left back thinks he's a striker.
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #41: Sep 25, 2007 01:16:41 pm
      He doesn't offer too much there either for me, he can't go past players & his crosses hardly ever beat the first man. Apart from his shot he hasn't got too much going for him, I would definitely cash in for the right price.

Is a goal threat really the main thing you want from either a fullback or a winger? If he could get the basics of either role right it would be a great bonus, but he can't.

As i've stated in a previous post... On form i think Riise is a quality player.  I do understand your points, and i far from believe that Riise should be a first eleven certainty, but there are others in the squad who should be shipped out before there is any talk of Riise being sold.  Also, Aurelio began looking like a quality player prior to his injury, but he still has to prove himself as far as i'm concerned.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #42: Sep 25, 2007 01:20:55 pm
      On form i think Riise is a quality player.

What does he bring to the table apart from his shot though? Or is that the measure of his form, whether he's scoring goals or not?

Plain & simple he does not get the basics right to play either role.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #43: Sep 25, 2007 01:26:53 pm
      The salient points are these...JAR, as loyal a servant as he's been to the Anfield cause, is no longer a certainty. He's never been a great defender and has become a slightly one dimensional attacker. When Aurelio returns to full fitness, he and Arbeloa will hold down the left back position. At left mid, we have other more attacking options at our disposal. JAR packs a hell of a punch but we need more than that...
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #44: Sep 25, 2007 01:29:28 pm
      Quote from EddieC  link=topic=828.msg55898#msg55898 date=1190722855
      What does he bring to the table apart from his shot though? Or is that the measure of his form, whether he's scoring goals or not?

Plain & simple he does not get the basics right to play either role.

I think you're being a little unfair to the lad!  He has more than a shot.
      Riise looked the part when he first joined the club, and admittedly, he hasn't reached the heights of his first season, but i'd be looking at others to dispose of before him.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #45: Sep 25, 2007 01:32:36 pm
      I think you're being a little unfair to the lad!  He has more than a shot.
      Riise looked the part when he first joined the club, and admittedly, he hasn't reached the heights of his first season, but I'd be looking at others to dispose of before him.

who istvan? just out of intrest like

Quick Reply