Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Holidays.....

Read 224952 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Re: Holidays.....
      Reply #1357: Jul 22, 2015 07:41:57 pm
      It is looking like it could be a three weeker mate. Looking to do the whole Disney and theme park thing. There is going to be a gang but we want to be in a villa that is just for the four of us especially if we're going for that long.

I best get the gym.

Ok, you have to be careful with renting a villa as there are a ton of timeshares that seem like a good deal, but you get there and realize they haven't been updated inside since 1988 (trust me, I've stayed in a couple). We usually end up in a hotel so I don't know as much about the villa/condo type places. If you have some in mind, shoot me the links and I'll let you know what I think, whether I've been there or whether or not it's a good area and such. I know the areas around Orlando pretty well as I've got quite a few clients up that way as well.

3 weeks is a pretty good length of time but you shouldn't have too much trouble finding things to do. Legoland is just down the road in Winter Haven too...about 30 minutes from Lake Buena Vista (where Disneyworld is). Kids all go crazy over that place as well.

I think the Food and Wine festival at Epcot starts Sept 25 so you'll want to hit that, word to the wise though, Epcot gets more crowded once that starts up and at night it's almost impossible to get around the park with kids in tow (at least I wouldn't have the nerves or patience for it).

Like I said, any specific questions you have let me know, be glad to offer any advice I can. We love staying in Orlando...well...except for all the damn foreigners ;D

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1358: Jul 22, 2015 07:58:20 pm
      Ok, you have to be careful with renting a villa as there are a ton of timeshares that seem like a good deal, but you get there and realize they haven't been updated inside since 1988 (trust me, I've stayed in a couple). We usually end up in a hotel so I don't know as much about the villa/condo type places. If you have some in mind, shoot me the links and I'll let you know what I think, whether I've been there or whether or not it's a good area and such. I know the areas around Orlando pretty well as I've got quite a few clients up that way as well.

3 weeks is a pretty good length of time but you shouldn't have too much trouble finding things to do. Legoland is just down the road in Winter Haven too...about 30 minutes from Lake Buena Vista (where Disneyworld is). Kids all go crazy over that place as well.

I think the Food and Wine festival at Epcot starts Sept 25 so you'll want to hit that, word to the wise though, Epcot gets more crowded once that starts up and at night it's almost impossible to get around the park with kids in tow (at least I wouldn't have the nerves or patience for it).

Like I said, any specific questions you have let me know, be glad to offer any advice I can. We love staying in Orlando...well...except for all the damn foreigners ;D

Excellent,  thank you. I'll have a good scout once I've put the squawkers up to bed.

Quick one though, would I best to avoid booking through Disney themselves?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1359: Jul 22, 2015 08:06:30 pm
      Excellent,  thank you. I'll have a good scout once I've put the squawkers up to bed.

Quick one though, would I best to avoid booking through Disney themselves?

Don't think it will matter, but we've always just booked anything we've done through them. I suppose there's a chance you could get a better deal, but I've always been leary of getting a raw deal by a disreputable travel agency. Saying that, we have friends that have a relative that's a travel agent and they do end up getting some better deals on lodging.

As far as park tickets, I don't think there's any real discounts to be had. I think you pay what you pay no matter what. Just make sure you pay the extra to add the "park hopper" option. That way if you get to a park and the kids hate it or it's really crowded or whatever you can just pop on over to another park no charge...and do that as many times as you want during the day.

If you are doing Disney, you'll also want to get those tickets probably no later than about a month out because the "fast passes" are different than they used to be. If you aren't familiar with them, that's how you could skip long lines. You could use your tickets to schedule a time to hit a ride where you'd have little to no wait (helpful for the ones that always have long lines like Soarin or Test Track at Epcot or Space Mountain at Disney), then once the time for that ride came and went, you could schedule another one. Now they are linked with the magic bands that Disney provides you with your tickets and you have to setup your fast passes in advance. it's best to set them up about a month in advance because otherwise you get crap options for times. This may sound confusing but I can always add some more detail via PM if need be.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #1360: Jul 22, 2015 08:09:39 pm
      Don't think it will matter, but we've always just booked anything we've done through them. I suppose there's a chance you could get a better deal, but I've always been leary of getting a raw deal by a disreputable travel agency. Saying that, we have friends that have a relative that's a travel agent and they do end up getting some better deals on lodging.

As far as park tickets, I don't think there's any real discounts to be had. I think you pay what you pay no matter what. Just make sure you pay the extra to add the "park hopper" option. That way if you get to a park and the kids hate it or it's really crowded or whatever you can just pop on over to another park no charge...and do that as many times as you want during the day.

If you are doing Disney, you'll also want to get those tickets probably no later than about a month out because the "fast passes" are different than they used to be. If you aren't familiar with them, that's how you could skip long lines. You could use your tickets to schedule a time to hit a ride where you'd have little to no wait (helpful for the ones that always have long lines like Soarin or Test Track at Epcot or Space Mountain at Disney), then once the time for that ride came and went, you could schedule another one. Now they are linked with the magic bands that Disney provides you with your tickets and you have to setup your fast passes in advance. it's best to set them up about a month in advance because otherwise you get crap options for times. This may sound confusing but I can always add some more detail via PM if need be.

This is quality. All my mates are going to be so impressed with my knowledge of what to do in Orlando.

Thanks again FL.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1361: Jul 22, 2015 08:16:44 pm
      This is quality. All my mates are going to be so impressed with my knowledge of what to do in Orlando.

Thanks again FL.

I can also give you some tips on some places to eat as well when the time comes. There is at least one place (Keke's) that you'll want to hit for breakfast. I never pass up the chance to get breakfast there when I'm in town.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #1362: Jul 22, 2015 08:54:26 pm
      I can also give you some tips on some places to eat as well when the time comes. There is at least one place (Keke's) that you'll want to hit for breakfast. I never pass up the chance to get breakfast there when I'm in town.

You'll have to try and get there at some point while we're there mate so we can have a bite to eat and a beer.

I asked about booking through Disney as I'm looking at the moment at

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/#/deluxe-villa

as it's high up on Trip Advisor but I'm counting out Epcot because of what you said and The Magic Kingdom as I assume that would be madness. And my 5 year old is petrified of people dressed up as Mickey Mouse. I know.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind somewhere that's not too wild at night as that's when I'd prefer to try and chill, eat out and have some beers etc. Its the areas that I'm lost on.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1363: Jul 22, 2015 09:17:06 pm
      You'll have to try and get there at some point while we're there mate so we can have a bite to eat and a beer.

I asked about booking through Disney as I'm looking at the moment at

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/#/deluxe-villa

as it's high up on Trip Advisor but I'm counting out Epcot because of what you said and The Magic Kingdom as I assume that would be madness. And my 5 year old is petrified of people dressed up as Mickey Mouse. I know.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind somewhere that's not too wild at night as that's when I'd prefer to try and chill, eat out and have some beers etc. Its the areas that I'm lost on.

Yea that's Disney's booking site, probably your best bet for places to stay that are affiliated with Disney. I've been wanting to stay at the Bay Lake Towers, it's right beside Magic Kingdom, right on a monorail stop so you can get to any of the parks pretty easily I believe. It's just been a bit out of my preferred price range. It looks fantastic though. Truth be told, because I travel a good deal for work and stay exclusively in Hilton properties, I usually stay at a Hilton resort or hotel when I'm up there because I can use points. We stay either at the DoubleTree by Downtown Disney, the Lake Buena Vista Hilton (near Downtown Disney) or the Hilton Bonnet Creek (http://www.hiltonbonnetcreek.com/).

The Bonnet Creek doesn't have villas that I know of, standard hotel rooms for the most part, they may have suites...but they have a nice pool with a water slide and a lazy river. Also a nice golf course right there (shared with the Waldorf Astoria). I've played it...it's tough but a nice course all the same). The Bonnet creek has a complimentary shuttle to the parks but it's kind of secluded about a 10 minute drive from Downtown Disney area.

Now across the street is the Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort (http://www.wyndhambonnetcreek.com/). They have condo type amenities for familes, at least a couple resort type pools with water features for the kids (a big pirate ship at one), it sits around a big lake, I stayed there once, it was nice, it's fairly new (last 4 or 5 years it was built) so that's another option.

I'll tell you, the Disney properties are nice but they are EXPENSIVE. Similar accomodations are usually much cheaper off property. It just depends on how much time you are going to be spending at the parks as to whether it's worth it to stay on property in my opinion. In fact I don't think I've ever stayed a a Disney property to be honest. Usually the folks that stay on property are going to be hitting the parks everyday all day long. If you don't think that's going to be you and your group, you may want to also look at some of the off property resorts.

I wouldn't count out Epcot based on what I said, it's fine for the most part during the day, it just gets crowded at night during the food and wine festival. I thought I remembered you having smaller kids...my boys (12 and 10) would do ok but man with the crowds at night, it's a pain to keep track of tiny ones.

I'd love to be able to pop up and meet up, I'll have to see how my work schedule is panning out...that yime of year starts my busy travel season. My boy has a cross country race at Disney sometime in Oct...there's a chance that would overlap with when you are going to be there. When you know your dates I can see if it overlaps. As you can probably tell we spend enough time up there that I could go on and on. ;D

I guess the bottom line is...if you are going to be doing Disney parks every day, it probably makes sense to consider Disney Resorts, but if you think you'll be spending as much or more time NOT at the Disney parks then you may want to consider other locations.

Really you probably want to be in the Downtown Disney/Lake Buena Vista area (near parks) or you may want to be nearer International Drive which is a larger area, not as near the parks but near all kinds of other tourist areas including SeaWorld and to an extent, Universal Studios (Harry Potter world).

There are so many hotel rooms in that city, I'd be surprised if there aren't more rooms there than any other city in the world...it's seriously scary how many places there are to stay.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #1364: Jul 22, 2015 10:01:47 pm
      Yea that's Disney's booking site, probably your best bet for places to stay that are affiliated with Disney. I've been wanting to stay at the Bay Lake Towers, it's right beside Magic Kingdom, right on a monorail stop so you can get to any of the parks pretty easily I believe. It's just been a bit out of my preferred price range. It looks fantastic though. Truth be told, because I travel a good deal for work and stay exclusively in Hilton properties, I usually stay at a Hilton resort or hotel when I'm up there because I can use points. We stay either at the DoubleTree by Downtown Disney, the Lake Buena Vista Hilton (near Downtown Disney) or the Hilton Bonnet Creek (http://www.hiltonbonnetcreek.com/).

The Bonnet Creek doesn't have villas that I know of, standard hotel rooms for the most part, they may have suites...but they have a nice pool with a water slide and a lazy river. Also a nice golf course right there (shared with the Waldorf Astoria). I've played it...it's tough but a nice course all the same). The Bonnet creek has a complimentary shuttle to the parks but it's kind of secluded about a 10 minute drive from Downtown Disney area.

Now across the street is the Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort (http://www.wyndhambonnetcreek.com/). They have condo type amenities for familes, at least a couple resort type pools with water features for the kids (a big pirate ship at one), it sits around a big lake, I stayed there once, it was nice, it's fairly new (last 4 or 5 years it was built) so that's another option.

I'll tell you, the Disney properties are nice but they are EXPENSIVE. Similar accomodations are usually much cheaper off property. It just depends on how much time you are going to be spending at the parks as to whether it's worth it to stay on property in my opinion. In fact I don't think I've ever stayed a a Disney property to be honest. Usually the folks that stay on property are going to be hitting the parks everyday all day long. If you don't think that's going to be you and your group, you may want to also look at some of the off property resorts.

I wouldn't count out Epcot based on what I said, it's fine for the most part during the day, it just gets crowded at night during the food and wine festival. I thought I remembered you having smaller kids...my boys (12 and 10) would do ok but man with the crowds at night, it's a pain to keep track of tiny ones.

I'd love to be able to pop up and meet up, I'll have to see how my work schedule is panning out...that yime of year starts my busy travel season. My boy has a cross country race at Disney sometime in Oct...there's a chance that would overlap with when you are going to be there. When you know your dates I can see if it overlaps. As you can probably tell we spend enough time up there that I could go on and on. ;D

I guess the bottom line is...if you are going to be doing Disney parks every day, it probably makes sense to consider Disney Resorts, but if you think you'll be spending as much or more time NOT at the Disney parks then you may want to consider other locations.

Really you probably want to be in the Downtown Disney/Lake Buena Vista area (near parks) or you may want to be nearer International Drive which is a larger area, not as near the parks but near all kinds of other tourist areas including SeaWorld and to an extent, Universal Studios (Harry Potter world).

There are so many hotel rooms in that city, I'd be surprised if there aren't more rooms there than any other city in the world...it's seriously scary how many places there are to stay.

Thanks FL, really appreciated.

I only decided to go on Monday so it's early research days but off site seems the way to go now as I was thinking Disney would charge through the nose. My kids will be aged 1 and 6 when we go so I'm taking on board what you say about Epcot. I'd imagine a lot of the days are going to be hectic so we'd want to wind down (to an extent) of an evening. We will be hiring a car over there also so don't mind driving to the parks.

I think we will be looking to go about 26th September and they're getting married on the 6th October so I think after that, we'll be a lot more free to do more of our own thing with helping with the Wedding and Hen and Stag parties out of the way.

Thanks again, this thread is going to be a 'go to' for info for me now.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1365: Jul 22, 2015 10:31:32 pm
      Thanks FL, really appreciated.

I only decided to go on Monday so it's early research days but off site seems the way to go now as I was thinking Disney would charge through the nose. My kids will be aged 1 and 6 when we go so I'm taking on board what you say about Epcot. I'd imagine a lot of the days are going to be hectic so we'd want to wind down (to an extent) of an evening. We will be hiring a car over there also so don't mind driving to the parks.

I think we will be looking to go about 26th September and they're getting married on the 6th October so I think after that, we'll be a lot more free to do more of our own thing with helping with the Wedding and Hen and Stag parties out of the way.

Thanks again, this thread is going to be a 'go to' for info for me now.

Absolutely, just keep posting in here, it will pop up on my unread list and I should be able to catch back up with you when needed  :ernaehrung004:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #1366: Aug 06, 2015 10:12:57 pm
      Just booked an apartment in La Cala de Mijas, Spain for next week for two weeks.

Should be a 'relaxing' break with the 5 year old and 8 week old giving us two different versions of headache and fun wrecking.

MsGerrard
      Reply #1367: Aug 06, 2015 10:57:52 pm
      Just booked an apartment in La Cala de Mijas, Spain for next week for two weeks.

Should be a 'relaxing' break with the 5 year old and 8 week old giving us two different versions of headache and fun wrecking.

Have a great time hun, sure it will be great, but how very dare you be going away now the season has started  :o Shanks would have ya guts for garters  :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #1368: Sep 11, 2015 05:28:47 pm

Have a fantastic time, went to Mojacar in Spain about a month ago, was superb to be honest and wished we had booked for longer, was in a Villa and was so worth the money we paid.

Have a great time!

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #1369: Sep 12, 2015 04:48:53 pm
      Cheers Huyt,  I got back on the 27th August :D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1370: Oct 12, 2015 01:05:32 am
      Flying out to Turkey later on today.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #1371: Oct 12, 2015 01:57:46 am

Have a great time.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1372: Oct 12, 2015 03:11:18 am

I'm easily pleased and it has water slides and mini golf. Plus alcohol. :)
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #1373: Oct 12, 2015 03:35:17 am

Sounds like a it has everything to make it a fun holiday.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1374: Oct 12, 2015 05:20:11 am
      Heading back to the motherland for a few days. Wish I had been there last week for the football and rugby victories. Still looking forward to a good Guinness.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #1375: Oct 12, 2015 03:10:05 pm

Have a cracking holiday.

I was away in Spain the other week and the weather was fantabulous.  Wish I had stayed longer but with a 3 year old and a 5 month old it was good to come home for a rest!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #1376: Oct 12, 2015 03:34:04 pm
      Have a cracking holiday.

I was away in Spain the other week and the weather was fantabulous.  Wish I had stayed longer but with a 3 year old and a 5 month old it was good to come home for a rest!

We used to do it with three kids, two lads and our daughter - nightmare.
      What with the lads fighting, getting lost continually and injuring themselves we were kept well occupied.
      Holidays in the UK usually involved the same carry on but it seemed less of an ordeal than when abroad.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #1377: Oct 12, 2015 04:03:01 pm
      Have a cracking holiday.

I done two weeks in La Cala with the 5 year old and 2 month old back in August. Was in a gated complex with a gated pool so wasn't too bad but that travel with all of that stuff....Grr

Have a good one Rodders! Jammy b***ard.

Heading back to the motherland for a few days. Wish I had been there last week for the football and rugby victories. Still looking forward to a good Guinness.

Enjoy mate. Back to Ireland from England? Where you living Mags?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1378: Oct 12, 2015 04:49:18 pm
      Enjoy mate. Back to Ireland from England? Where you living Mags?

Living over in Edinburgh mate. Amazing city. Good to be home for a few days though. Something to be said for a few days in the countryside every now and then.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #1379: Oct 12, 2015 05:24:54 pm
      Living over in Edinburgh mate. Amazing city. Good to be home for a few days though. Something to be said for a few days in the countryside every now and then.

Only ever drove through Edinburgh in passing but a mate goes often and says it's a great city.

Quick Reply