Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Arsenal [Premier League] Mon 28th Sep @ 8:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of September and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W8 D7 L6

Holidays.....

Read 175615 times
      andylfcynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,982 posts | 999 
      Re: Holidays.....
      Reply #1525: Sep 04, 2019 01:16:47 pm
      Just rode from Rouen down to Le Mans
      andylfcynwa

• 7,982 posts | 999 
      Reply #1526: Sep 07, 2019 07:53:53 am
      Rode into Paris  yesterday at rush hour was a blast , even crazier riding the Arc de triomphe at rush hour something I’ll never forget what a buzz
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,609 posts | 3345 
      Reply #1527: Sep 07, 2019 08:57:07 am
      Rode into Paris  yesterday at rush hour was a blast , even crazier riding the Arc de triomphe at rush hour something I’ll never forget what a buzz

You on a tour around Europe mate on the bike?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,687 posts | 2298 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1528: Sep 07, 2019 09:22:33 am

He's conquered all of europe, he's never going to stop...
      andylfcynwa

• 7,982 posts | 999 
      Reply #1529: Sep 07, 2019 01:31:39 pm
      Little tour mate went down west side down through Normandy onto Rouen then Le Mans , back up the middle to Paris onto Brugge today home tomorrow been a great little tour with good mates .
      crouchinho
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42,491 posts | 2601 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1530: Sep 09, 2019 01:52:57 pm
      Long story short...

I had a holiday planned and realised it clashed with the CL Final and last game of the league season.

I've now moved everything around to be able to go to Istanbul for the week and I'm going to be in Liverpool for the final weekend.

Question is, it's cheaper to fly to London than Liverpool by £250 - is Virgin Trains still the easiest and cheapest way to get from Heathrow to Liverpool? Also I've seen off-peak tickets be tons cheaper - what times are on and off peak over there?

Thanks anybody! <3
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,085 posts | 3155 
      Reply #1531: Sep 12, 2019 08:42:10 pm
      Long story short...

I had a holiday planned and realised it clashed with the CL Final and last game of the league season.

I've now moved everything around to be able to go to Istanbul for the week and I'm going to be in Liverpool for the final weekend.

Question is, it's cheaper to fly to London than Liverpool by £250 - is Virgin Trains still the easiest and cheapest way to get from Heathrow to Liverpool? Also I've seen off-peak tickets be tons cheaper - what times are on and off peak over there?

Thanks anybody! <3

Yeah the west coast line would be your best bet, deffo quickest but not sure if they would be the cheapest necessarily.
      Off peak is generally after 9.30 but before 15.30 and after 7.00pm Mon - Fri.
      Weekends are off peak.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,108 posts | 4955 
      Reply #1532: Sep 12, 2019 09:37:46 pm

The trick with the trains is you just have to book in advance to get a decent fare.  Like booking a month or 6 weeks before.

Fares from London to Liverpool start from about £23 (if you get an Advance ticket).  If you turn up on the day wanting a ticket then it's around about £200. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,108 posts | 4955 
      Reply #1533: Sep 12, 2019 09:39:51 pm

It's a mission trying to just walk across in front of there, surprises you managed to get your bike off that roundabout at the end.  Fair play to you. 
      andylfcynwa

• 7,982 posts | 999 
      Reply #1534: Sep 13, 2019 12:22:22 am
      It's a mission trying to just walk across in front of there, surprises you managed to get your bike off that roundabout at the end.  Fair play to you. 
      Surprisingly the car drivers in Paris are very considerate to bike riders , the scooter riders are just plain crazy
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,617 posts | 2628 
      Reply #1535: Sep 16, 2019 11:37:47 am
      So, Lisbon.............f**king magic city.

Favourite bar was a former brothel where they retained the old spirit by f**king me €18 for an IPA and a G&T........but it was worth it to see.......

I will confess to donning a Celtic top and getting a pic taken for my oldest lad - who still has a toe dipped in Celtic water and the rest of his body in red ;)
      crouchinho
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42,491 posts | 2601 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1536: Sep 17, 2019 07:38:53 am
      Thank you both, lads! Appreciate the advice.

The trick with the trains is you just have to book in advance to get a decent fare.  Like booking a month or 6 weeks before.

Fares from London to Liverpool start from about £23 (if you get an Advance ticket).  If you turn up on the day wanting a ticket then it's around about £200. 

What's the best site to book on, mate? Haven't seen anywhere offer a ticket for less than £63 even months out from the date.
      Dadorious

• 9,207 posts | 1200 
      Reply #1537: Sep 17, 2019 09:32:06 am

What's the best site to book on, mate? Haven't seen anywhere offer a ticket for less than £63 even months out from the date.

If I could chime in mate -Virgin trains the earlier the better. Made the mistake of not doing that on our honeymoon saw the tickets months out for about 40quid, assumed that was the fixed price and bought them on the day in London paid over a 100 for each.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,108 posts | 4955 
      Reply #1538: Sep 17, 2019 03:06:04 pm

Just book on National Rail or even through Virgin rail.  I've just had a look at a random day in November and the cheapest advance single from London Euston to Liverpool is £12 and most expensive is £33.  Direct train takes about 2 hours 15.

You can only book up to the start of March so it must be up to 6 months ahead.  You can't book for May time yet.  Come back in November on that one.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
      https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2019 03:11:44 pm by JD »
      higgy_sham
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,644 posts | 519 
      Reply #1539: Oct 04, 2019 09:12:22 am
      https://www.jet2holidays.com/turkey/dalaman-area/calis/jiva-beach-resort?gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1206481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIws7sxJOC5QIVia3tCh3xmQpEEAAYASAAEgIhTvD_BwE

Anyone ever stayed around here?

Wife talking about booking here for us next year. Hotel looks absolutely brilliant but I'm not so sure as it doesn't seem to be that close to anything.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,865 posts | 3325 
      Reply #1540: Oct 04, 2019 02:55:36 pm
      https://www.jet2holidays.com/turkey/dalaman-area/calis/jiva-beach-resort?gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1206481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIws7sxJOC5QIVia3tCh3xmQpEEAAYASAAEgIhTvD_BwE

Anyone ever stayed around here?

Wife talking about booking here for us next year. Hotel looks absolutely brilliant but I'm not so sure as it doesn't seem to be that close to anything.

My wife's cousin and her fella have gone to Dalaman town for years and were happy with it until this year, now they say it's got really expensive and are gonna jib it.
      Never been to Dalaman except the airport of course but places elsewhere in Turkey were ridiculously inexpensive, haven't been for a while but my sister goes regularly to Fethiye and she goes again soon and they are allergic to pricey holidays, after going there recently if it was expensive they would jib it.
      We used to go to Calish beach near Fethiye for years and that was cheap and a cracking resort.

Maybe Dalaman is expensive cos it is a hub and a built up area.

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2019 03:00:44 pm by stuey »
      higgy_sham
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,644 posts | 519 
      Reply #1541: Oct 04, 2019 03:24:44 pm
      My wife's cousin and her fella have gone to Dalaman town for years and were happy with it until this year, now they say it's got really expensive and are gonna jib it.
      Never been to Dalaman except the airport of course but places elsewhere in Turkey were ridiculously inexpensive, haven't been for a while but my sister goes regularly to Fethiye and she goes again soon and they are allergic to pricey holidays, after going there recently if it was expensive they would jib it.
      We used to go to Calish beach near Fethiye for years and that was cheap and a cracking resort.

Maybe Dalaman is expensive cos it is a hub and a built up area.

Cheers Stu.

I'm pretty sure I heard the wife mention Fethiye and Calish so this hotel must be around them parts. All I know is it's an hours taxi journey from the Airport in Dalaman

Would love to head back to Cyprus again but they've cancelled flights to Larnaca from North and South Ireland so that's out the window.

Think I'll give this one a go.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,865 posts | 3325 
      Reply #1542: Oct 04, 2019 07:15:42 pm
      Cheers Stu.

I'm pretty sure I heard the wife mention Fethiye and Calish so this hotel must be around them parts. All I know is it's an hours taxi journey from the Airport in Dalaman

Would love to head back to Cyprus again but they've cancelled flights to Larnaca from North and South Ireland so that's out the window.

Think I'll give this one a go.

Try and get a hotel on the sea front at Calish mate, it’s pedestrian only and the beach is great.
      Just a short walk to bars, restaurants etc, you can’t lose mate.
      higgy_sham
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,644 posts | 519 
      Reply #1543: Oct 04, 2019 07:26:03 pm
      Try and get a hotel on the sea front at Calish mate, it’s pedestrian only and the beach is great.
      Just a short walk to bars, restaurants etc, you can’t lose mate.

Went for that hotel in the link pal.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,865 posts | 3325 
      Reply #1544: Oct 04, 2019 08:44:16 pm

Went for that hotel in the link pal.

Have a good holiday buddy yuz won’t be disappointed.
      higgy_sham
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,644 posts | 519 
      Reply #1545: Oct 04, 2019 09:01:59 pm

Have a good holiday buddy yuz won’t be disappointed.

11 months to go yet. Countdowns on.... 😂
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,756 posts | 2512 
      Reply #1546: Oct 10, 2019 08:48:53 pm
      Been in Lake Garda since Monday and fly back late Monday next week.

Love this part of the world.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1547: Oct 10, 2019 09:45:09 pm

Hope you're having a lovely time Si. Sounds absolutely gorgeous and a perfect time of year to be there as well I'm sure.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,108 posts | 4955 
      Reply #1548: Oct 10, 2019 09:57:55 pm

Bologna airport is the closer I've been to it - but it's on my list for hopefully kid-free holidays in the distant future!  Enjoy the rest of your time there!
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,756 posts | 2512 
      Reply #1549: Oct 11, 2019 01:38:02 pm
      Bologna airport is the closer I've been to it - but it's on my list for hopefully kid-free holidays in the distant future!  Enjoy the rest of your time there!

Well worth it Jon. We've been here before and stay on a campsite just on the lake at Peschiera  Del Garda. Has everything you want and can be as peaceful or as packed as you make it.

Hope you're having a lovely time Si. Sounds absolutely gorgeous and a perfect time of year to be there as well I'm sure.

Relaxing here now with a Bardolino red listening to a few podcasts mate.

Going up the cable car to Monte Baldo tomorrow as we've never done that before.

Quick Reply