Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Danny Guthrie (Newcastle Utd)

Read 7096 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Danny Guthrie (Newcastle Utd)
      Jul 11, 2008 01:52:58 pm
      Liverpool have agreed a fee with Newcastle United for the transfer of Danny Guthrie to the North East. 

The former Academy player, who spent last season on loan at Bolton Wanderers, will now discuss personal terms with Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan before finalising the deal.

Liverpool FC Head of Press Ian Cotton said: "We have agreed a transfer fee with Newcastle United for the transfer of Danny Guthrie.

"We have now given Newcastle permission to speak directly with the player." 

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160498080711-1343.htm

not too disappointed, we've got enough central mids, I would be expecting somewhere between 2-5 million for him though. He wasn't a bad a player, but he was never gonna make the grade with Stevie, Xabi and Masch in front of him.
      « Last Edit: Jul 11, 2008 04:33:19 pm by redkenny »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Guthrie to the magpies
      Reply #1: Jul 11, 2008 02:03:02 pm
      F**k. He is one of the best young players that we have. sh*t!! :(
      Scouse pie
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 10 
      Reply #2: Jul 11, 2008 02:03:30 pm
      Yeah it's only fair to the lad to let him move on rather than go on loan again. I would have liked to have seen him do well here but he was unfortunte in that the centre midfield is probably our best in a long time. Newcastle have got a great fanbase so it will be a good experinece for him. I'm surethe transfer fee will help Rafa get closer towards his goal in buying Robbie Keane. Bolton must be dissappointed not to have secured a permenant deal with him.
      molby86
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts |
      • Best left foot ever.........
      Reply #3: Jul 11, 2008 02:05:38 pm
      hope this doesn't come back to bite us as he looked like he was developing into a pretty decent centre midfireld player. but with the current line up and plessi showing potential it may be an astute move by rafa to get some more cash in for his transfer war chest.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #4: Jul 11, 2008 02:08:57 pm
      Would have been tough for him to have got a first team place but newcastle though :( hope his career doesnt go downhill with him getting injuries like so many other players that go there.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Danny Guthrie (Newcastle Utd)
      Reply #5: Jul 11, 2008 04:35:20 pm
      From what I seen of him last season at Bolton, he did seem like he was improving. But as lil cisse says, it would have been tough for him to break into the first team.

Good luck to him at the barcodes.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Jul 11, 2008 04:53:32 pm
      I dont think he would have ever become more than a bit part player for us so its good he moves on to another team because he has the potential to be a very good player
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #7: Jul 11, 2008 04:54:54 pm
      Anybody who has a good guess as to what the fee for him is?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: Jul 11, 2008 04:56:14 pm
      im guessing the fee is around £2m
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #9: Jul 11, 2008 05:10:25 pm
      im guessing the fee is around £2m

That is indeed what its being touted as. Good guess
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #10: Jul 11, 2008 05:26:43 pm
      Nice to see the Academy produce some Premiership level players, good luck to the lad!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #11: Jul 11, 2008 06:27:33 pm
      F**k. He is one of the best young players that we have. sh*t!! :(

The problem is one of supply and demand though.  We're well covered in that department.
      RobBarron
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      • Give me any colour... as long as it's RED!
      Reply #12: Jul 11, 2008 06:50:19 pm
      Danny Guthrie is a good player, developed by an excellent Academy at at great club.

When clubs like Liverpool develop such youngsters, they do so with an eye on the future to provide us with talent for years to come. However, when those players mature, they have to either be good enough to fight for a place with the rest of the squad or they have to move on.... just like anyone else who is not quite holding down a place in the team.

Guthrie is a good player and I most certainly wish him well. That the barcodes have bought him after a season playing for Bolton shows that he has the ability to hold down a place at Premiership level, even if not at the highest level of a top four club.

One thing that is for sure, if Rafa Benitez had believed for a moment that Guthrie was the next Gerrard, he would no way have let him go. He presumably believes that DG is going to do well but not be world class and frankly, at the moment at least, Liverpool have no need for a midfielder less than world class when they already have Stevie Gerrard, Javier Mascherano and (at the moment at least) Xabi Alonso.

All the best Danny, we'll be looking out for you in your career and hope it's a good one.

Cheers,
      Rob
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #13: Jul 11, 2008 07:33:13 pm
      Im a bit disapointed to see the lad go. He had a few impressive displays for Bolton. He seems to be developing his all round game well. He looked pretty good against Man Utd for Bolton last season. Anyway, good luck to him. Wish him all the best.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #14: Jul 12, 2008 01:48:29 am
      Good Luck Danny.

He's got a good future ahead of him if he works hard and keeps his head down.

Think he'll do well at Newcastle.
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #15: Jul 14, 2008 10:45:55 am
      He better not score a goal against us.Ill hunt him then
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16: Jul 14, 2008 12:02:12 pm
      Was always a good player but it was never going to be at this club. Had a great season at Bolton and i have no doubts he will be a better player than most will think for Newcastle.

YNWA Danny.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #17: Jul 14, 2008 01:10:48 pm
      Danny Guthrie has today completed his move to Newcastle United, the Reds have confirmed. 
      The Academy graduate, who impressed during a loan spell at Bolton last season, has now joined up with his new teammates at St James' Park.

He said: "I'm really happy to be joining Newcastle United.

"I'm ready to get involved straight away and I cannot wait to meet the boys and get started."

Guthrie will now work under Liverpool icon Kevin Keegan, who couldn't hide his delight at the capture.

"He proved himself in the Premier League last season so we know he can play at that level," said the Magpies boss.

"He's at the right age and is a good signing for us."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160517080714-1024.htm

Good luck Danny.

Topic locked.

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #18: Sep 16, 2008 09:03:13 am
      Glad he is gone what a cock head for that challenge. Bloody disgraceful Nando, Berbatov, Adebayor or any top PL striker could have been on the end of that tackle.What a tool!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=572518&sec=england&cc=3436
      Guthrie horror tackle broke Fagan's leg
      By Soccernet staff

Updated: September 15, 2008, 6:18 PM UK
      Comment
       Email
       Print
       Hull City striker Craig Fagan will miss the next three months of the season after being the victim of a horrendous tackle from Newcastle midfielder Danny Guthrie. 

The Magpies midfielder was rightly shown a straight red card for a tackle that reflected the frustration on Tyneside amid the Tigers' 2-1 win as civil war rages at St James' Park.

Fagan was able to play on after the challenge but left the ground on crutches. Hull decided to carry out a scan after his leg swelled badly over the rest of the weekend. Hull confirmed had that Fagan suffered a fracture to his right tibia, and now could miss up three months of the season.

Angry Tigers' boss Phil Brown said of the challenge this afternoon: "It cannot be tolerated, it needs to be kicked out of the game. When you see that the end product is him putting a fellow pro in a cast, it's just not right."

Guthrie later expressed regret for the crunching tackle and claimed it was ''totally out of character''.

''I was very upset to hear the news concerning Craig,'' he told his club's official website

''The club have been in touch with Hull City on my behalf because I want to speak to Craig in person to apologise and wish him a speedy recovery. I hope to be able to do that as soon as possible.

''It was a challenge that came purely out of frustration towards the end of Saturday's game, but anybody who knows me will accept it was totally out of character on my part.''

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #19: Sep 16, 2008 09:30:46 am
      It was horrible at the time.  Sorry for the player that he has broken his leg.

When you have a thug like Joey Barton at your club who seemingly gets away with 'not quite murder' then it rubs off on to other impressionable young players.

Newcastle, all around, are a complete joke.

I wouldn't have batted an eyelid if Guthrie had been banned for half the season.  3 games is ridiculous when his opponent could have had his career ended and is likely to miss around 15 games.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #20: Sep 16, 2008 04:01:52 pm
      Yes 3 games is a joke its like the Eduardo situation all over again.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8550 
      Reply #21: Sep 16, 2008 05:43:21 pm
      Would this be the same Fagan that tried to stamp on Arbeloa when he played for Derby last season
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #22: Sep 16, 2008 07:04:51 pm
      Would this be the same Fagan that tried to stamp on Arbeloa when he played for Derby last season

Think it is. But 3 games is a joke.

Quick Reply