Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Shanks anniversary

Read 1349 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Shanks anniversary
      Jul 12, 2008 10:10:29 pm
      Sorry folks for being so late with this but I only realised today is the 12th  :f_doh: Today marks the 34th anniversary of the great Bill Shankly's retirement. An incredible man as well as manager we owe him a hell of a lot for what we have today. In our memories always Shanks

Y.N.W.A
      MsGerrard
      Re: Shanks anniversary
      Reply #1: Jul 13, 2008 10:16:17 am
      ON THIS DAY: SHANKLY RESIGNS

Paul Hassall 12 July 2008 

Bill Shankly rocked the football world when he sensationally announced his decision to step down as Liverpool manager 34 years ago today. 
      The charismatic Scot was synonymous with Liverpool, a man whose love for the team and its supporters had been a mutual affection shared by the loyal followers in the stand.

But after 15 years at the helm, he had now decided to lower the curtain on what had been an incredible footballing journey.

As reporters huddled inside Anfield in expectation of the unveiling of the club's new record signing from Arsenal, Ray Kennedy, they were left well and truly taken aback when chairman John Smith sat down and announced the news no Reds fan had expected to hear.

"It is with great regret that I have to inform you that Mr Shankly has intimated to me that he wishes to retire from active participation in League football, and that the board has - with extreme reluctance - accepted his decision," said Hall.

"I would like to place on record the board's great appreciation for Mr Shankly's magnificent achievements over the period of his managership. Meanwhile he has agreed to give every assistance to the club for as long as necessary."

After several moments of awkward silence one reporter composed himself enough to ask a clearly saddened Shanks, why he was bowing out just weeks after leading the club to their second FA Cup success.

"It was the most difficult decision I've ever had to make, And when I went in to see the chairman it was like walking to the electric chair."

****************************************************************************************************

Thankyou Brian for reminding us all about this, I saw this yesterday on the Official LFC Site, and shame on me I never got round to posting it on here, so your reminder this morning prompted me into action.

Bill Shankly...........all our young members should know all about this great man, who made Liverpool into what it is today, he laid the foundations on what Rafa builds on now.

A great man who would have walked through a brick wall for Liverpool.

Football  'A matter of Life and Death' .............No, said Bill, "it's much more important than that"

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #2: Jul 13, 2008 02:06:19 pm
      He left a legacy that wont be surpassed by this club or any other BIG THANKS MR SHANKLY FOR ALL THAT WE HAVE ,AND ALL THAT MAKES OUR CLUB GREAT.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3: Jul 13, 2008 02:20:05 pm
      I wish i was alive to see the great man
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #4: Jul 13, 2008 02:23:42 pm
      Great man from what I've read into him etc.

Hopefully Rafa can reach the heights Bill did.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Jul 14, 2008 08:53:30 am
       After watching the REDS in the mostly miserable days in the 2nd division Nobody but BILL SHANKLY could of turned this club around the way he did.In my memory it was in the 60s that the kop really came alive, dont get me wrong REDS supporters have always supported the team but Shankly brought the kop to life.I still remember the joy of winning the league in 64 and 66 and the biggest joy of all was winning the F.A.CUP in 1965 for the first timeand Shanks master stroke of getting Gerry Byrne and Gordon Milne to carry the CUP around Anfield before the kick off against Inter Milan in the European Cup,I for one will never forget the late great Bill Shankly for the dynasty he set up in this great club. It would be nice to remember Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan as well as they were a big part of Shanks success.

Quick Reply