Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Vladimir Smicer

Read 1707 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Vladimir Smicer
      Aug 31, 2006 05:55:23 pm
      Just picked this up from skysports news website:

Vladimir Smicer has told skysports.com that he is relishing the prospect of returning to Anfield when new side Bordeaux take on Liverpool in the UEFA Champions League.

For Czech Republic playmaker Smicer, Bordeaux being drawn in the same group as his former side Liverpool was a dream come true.

Smicer's last act as a Liverpool player was to score a penalty in the decisive shoot-out that saw The Reds lift the European Cup for a fifth time in May 2005.

Smicer also bagged one of Liverpool's three comeback goals against Milan but he will now play against the Merseysiders in the Champions League.

Bordeaux are in the same group as Rafa Benitez's side and Smicer cannot wait to play at Anfield again.

"I am so happy to face them. In fact, when I was watching the draw I was dreaming of meeting Liverpool," Smicer told skysports.com.

"Playing at Anfield again will be a real gift. It is the icing on the cake.

"I just love the fans and the atmosphere of that great stadium. You can't compare Liverpool with another club, they are just unique.

"Of course, it will be difficult for Bordeaux to beat them, they are a big team and they have bought great players.

"Benitez has shaped a squad full of promise. But nothing is impossible in football, and we may be able to annoy them.

"I still have friends there, but I haven't called them yet. I will do it, and remember great matches in England, but when the match begins I will stay focused."

Smicer admits that Bordeaux will be underdogs going into the competition, but he believes the club could spring a surprise and qualify into the knockout stages.

"A lot of players will start their first Champions League campaign and they will learn a lot, and show their talent," added Smicer.

"Bordeaux are not favourites for qualification but we will give 100 percent to prove they can step up to European football.

"To my mind, this season is going to be more difficult than last year's but we are well equipped and will compete against the biggest teams."

Absoulate legend! I always liked him. Anytime he pulled on a reds shirt he showed passion and was always up for it! although he spent a lot of his career at liverpoo on the sidelines i can never forget (and im sure use cant either) him scoring a cracker againts milan in the final!

LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Vladimir Smicer
      Reply #1: Aug 31, 2006 05:58:13 pm
      it seems pretty good for vladi this year if he gets himself fit he could face us also the trip to turkey and the ataturk stadium for him bet he is chuffed to bits
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Vladimir Smicer
      Reply #2: Aug 31, 2006 06:09:47 pm
      another who could have been a great had it not been for injuries. always rated him and am eternally grateful for what he did in istanbul
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Vladimir Smicer
      Reply #3: Aug 31, 2006 06:49:46 pm
      I dont think he was good enough to take us that step further to win the league, but that could be said of alot of our players over the last 10 years.

But fairs, fair this is one little chap that we owe a big thank you to,
      I'll always remember him as ........
      Vladi the lad who saved his best 'till last!  ;D

Quick Reply