Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Peter Crouch (Striker)

Read 67468 times
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Re: Peter Crouch (Striker)
      Reply #322: May 08, 2008 11:24:21 pm
      15 mil pounds! That's a club record.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #323: May 09, 2008 04:22:58 am
      I would love to see big Pete here and would not give him for less than that. I am weary if Portsmouth win the FA cup and sell Kranjcar to Arsenal they would be prepared to fork this much out.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #324: May 09, 2008 09:03:05 am
      If RAFA gets 15 million for Crouch  it will go down as the 8th wonder of the world.I think 10 million would be nearer the mark and that would represent a good return to the club. If he was to stay I think he would play less games next season due to the emergence of some of our young reserves so it is probably better for club and player if he moves on.
      Brown LFC
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts | -34 
      Reply #325: May 09, 2008 11:13:04 am
      I think Benitez should convince Crouch to stay, that he  has a better future at LFC, but Benitez is half hearted about Crouch, he rather see him go, and if we lose him, I don't think Bentiez will replace him with better striker than Crouch, he will depends on the two useless strikers in Voronin, and Kuyt, who will not score 10 goals a season between them.

It is sad to see Crouch leave us, and that is because of Bentiez, who has no idea how to accommodate Crouch properly!!!
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #326: May 09, 2008 08:30:17 pm
      http://squarefootball.typepad.co.uk/squarefootball/2008/05/of-seasonal-mat.html

Of seasonal mating rituals and Peter Crouch

The mating rituals of the transfer speculation season are a splendid site. The empurpling of the noses, the puffing out of chests, the lesser crested warbling and so on. But the crucial indicator that the season is upon us is the traditional sight of the setting of inflated prices by the dominant males.

And £15m for the well travelled 27-year-old, Peter Crouch, does feel inflated.

There are a number of clubs in need of a forward like Crouch, a difficult to play against player with an excellent strike rate at the highest level - Crouch should be a solid gold player. But at club after club Crouch has scored goals, before being released.

After being sold to QPR for a nominal fee as a 19-year-old by Tottenham in 2000, Crouch has played for six clubs - usually in the top flight. His transfer fees add up to £16m to date, the most significant being when Rafa Benitez paid £7m for him to join Liverpool in 2005, and when Graham Taylor took him to Villa for £5m in 2002.

But Crouch's three seasons on Merseyside are the most he has spent at any club as a professional. He has no reputation as a moaner, yet he never seems to fit in. Given his ability on the deck and his physical presence this is surprising; perhaps he doesn't have enough pace for some managers?

But to get back to mating rituals. Rafa Benitez could well be under some financial and player contraints this summer after the purchases of Skrtel, Mascherano, Torres, Babel, Voronin and Benayoun as well as younger talent like Lucas, Leto, Insua, Plessis and Itandje since last summer. After signing these eleven players the wage bill at Liverpool, never mind the transfer budget will be strained. And some players need to be moved on to allow the new signings some space.

Which is why Liverpool need to offload the likes of Riise, Crouch, Carson, Kewell etc. Rafa Benitez knows that he needs fresh blood for the long awaited title challenge (that he really should mount in his fifth season at Anfield). A well publicised £15m price tag is unlikely to be the end of the matter and an offer of around £11m would probably be enough to bag the easily spotted Crouchus Crouchus, Biggus Manus Withus Goodus Touchus.
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ __________________

Well, well, well..... O dear.

If Crouch has to leave, it must cost the buyer a bundle. 15 million calms my nerves. I dont want him to leave. He is a different type striker.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #327: May 09, 2008 11:09:58 pm
      As much as i'd like crouchie to stay, I think now is the time for him to go. It's inevitable he will leave soon so lets get a big fee for him now rather than see him play for only a handfull of games and get next to nothing for him next year.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #328: Jun 02, 2008 01:02:34 am
      So is he gonna do a Michael Owen, Steve McManaman...?

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2008/peter-crouch-will-he-or-wont-he/

Are we going to be held to ransom by other clubs or Crouch himself?

I feel if Rafa doesn't want him, then sell him this summer. No messing about.

It's fair to say that Crouch hasn't really been given a fair crack of the whip this season, but the way things are with funds for the team these days, we can do without losing a few million pounds.

What do we value Crouch at?
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #329: Jun 02, 2008 01:56:08 am
      crouch had a few chances tonight for england..didnt seem to take them.... his headers are only about 20% effective, for such a tall feller ... i think heskey was better with his head.....   although i think he is a decent enough player....    we need to sell him and get david villa he can head the ball better
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #330: Jun 02, 2008 05:15:28 am

I have to say get 10m from him minimum. Got him for 7m and now he is much better player and is part of the England set up. I doubt a club will go in with a 16m Bent-esq money move for him.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #331: Jun 02, 2008 11:54:14 am
      Newcastle have upped their bid for crouch to £8m- i didnt know that they had bidded but according to setanta news they have
      Shoelessboy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      Reply #332: Jun 02, 2008 12:38:50 pm
      What we needed was a couple of strong performances for england to up his price a little

oh well
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #333: Jun 02, 2008 04:18:00 pm

Personally, I think 12m would be a good and fair price under the circumstances and someone will be getting value for money! 
      Scouse pie
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 10 
      Reply #334: Jun 02, 2008 06:06:53 pm
      Peter Crouch has already got a great goal ratio with England. I don't want him to go but I can see him going to Portsmouth despite being constantly booed when we played them at Fratton park (being an ex-southampton player). I'm sure in a market consisting of inflated prices, crouch can easily go above 10 million.
      its been a while since we have made  a lot of money from a transfer. Last huge amount of cash was Robbie Fowler's transfer of 11 million to Leeds UNited. I can see crouch going at more than 11 million. There you go I've compared  God with a Giraffe (sorry Crouch).
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #335: Jun 02, 2008 06:12:40 pm
      Personally, I think 12m would be a good and fair price under the circumstances and someone will be getting value for money! 
      Not sure we could replace him for anything less than 20 tho
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #336: Jun 02, 2008 06:30:03 pm
      When you see the sort of money that strikers cost today Rafa should not let him go for less than 12 mill. Crouch will not let you down and if other clubs want him let them offer a reasonable amount. I believe Rafa has improved Peter Crouches game, he used to run of side a lot, not any more and although his touch has been good now it's better than it was when he first came here, His all round game has improved and he's scored some great goals over the years and I believe he is worth more now than when we bought him...
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #337: Jun 02, 2008 06:39:41 pm
      Not sure we could replace him for anything less than 20 tho

Agree with you mate that its very difficult to replace him, but then does Benitez want to replace him?  There are alot of Crouch fans, but what value was he to our squad in the last campaign! 

I think personally that next season we should play the 4-2-3-1 formation predominately in the premiership.   That Torres to lead and back-ups of: Babbel, Kuyt and maybe even Nemeth.  The supporting role will be played by Gerrard and the back options:  Barry?, Benayoun, Lucas, Nemeth or maybe Bentley?.  The thing is my personal opinion is that we really need to strengthen and focus on the wings.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #338: Jun 02, 2008 11:20:08 pm
      Selling Peter Crouch would be a huge mistake. The fella offers us something that none of the other forwards can. Also, 15 million is a snip for him. Look at it, he's proven he can score in the Premiership, Champions League and on the international stage, he's got Champions League experince, he's an England international and he's at the prime of his career. How many other people with those credentials would be going for less than 15m?
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #339: Jun 02, 2008 11:29:16 pm
      I agree that he is worth 15m, but at the end of the day we are in borrowed time with a year left on his contract we can not watch the situation for too long.  The thing is on the financial front we just can't afford to not get any money for him and everyone knows that and thats why his admirers are taking their time.  But there is one thing for sure someone will get a very good player at a very good price.  I hope we get 15m for him, but at the moment I just don't think it will happen. 

As for selling him in the first place he has to sign a contract to extend his stay which is quite apparent he isn't willing to do and is understandable.
      Scouse pie
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 10 
      Reply #340: Jun 02, 2008 11:34:25 pm
      Selling Peter Crouch would be a huge mistake. The fella offers us something that none of the other forwards can. Also, 15 million is a snip for him. Look at it, he's proven he can score in the Premiership, Champions League and on the international stage, he's got Champions League experince, he's an England international and he's at the prime of his career. How many other people with those credentials would be going for less than 15m?

I agree with you totally. I am one of his biggest fans. He is such a unique player that it is impossible to find someone, of his height, knack of scoring goals and he excellent technique with the ball combined all together in one package. He has even scored two overhead kicks twice, which a Brazilian would be proud of.  He improved so much under Rafa
      Benitez has offered him a contract and wants him to stay. However with the formation and Torres being our main man he ain't ever gonna be our main striker. I've come to accept that maybe it be good for his own career that he goes to Portsmouth where he will link up with Defoe and essentially get more games.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #341: Jun 02, 2008 11:42:32 pm
      I agree that he is worth 15m, but at the end of the day we are in borrowed time with a year left on his contract we can not watch the situation for too long.  The thing is on the financial front we just can't afford to not get any money for him and everyone knows that and thats why his admirers are taking their time.  But there is one thing for sure someone will get a very good player at a very good price.  I hope we get 15m for him, but at the moment I just don't think it will happen. 

As for selling him in the first place he has to sign a contract to extend his stay which is quite apparent he isn't willing to do and is understandable.

fair enough but I couldn't stand him go for a mickey mouse price like Owen. He was in his last year and we got conned by Madrid. 8 poxy million for him, but I think the same will happen with Crouch. I don't see anyone forking out 15 mill despite him being worth every penny and more.

I agree with you totally. I am one of his biggest fans. He is such a unique player that it is impossible to find someone, of his height, knack of scoring goals and he excellent technique with the ball combined all together in one package. He has even scored two overhead kicks twice, which a Brazilian would be proud of.  He improved so much under Rafa
      Benitez has offered him a contract and wants him to stay. However with the formation and Torres being our main man he ain't ever gonna be our main striker. I've come to accept that maybe it be good for his own career that he goes to Portsmouth where he will link up with Defoe and essentially get more games.

I'm not overly convinced that the contract was offered because Benitez WANTED to keep Crouch, rather he DIDN'T WANT any other club having Crouch. Also for the new formation we still failed to beat any of the top sides with the new formation. We beat Arsenal using a 4-4-2 system that involved Crouch and Torres up top. I'd rather see us sacrifice a full back and go three at the back than see Peter Crouch leave. We don't have great full backs anyway (attacking or defending wise) whereas we have three great centre halves in Carra, Agger and Skrtel so why not use them and keep Crouch.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #342: Jun 04, 2008 01:00:02 pm
      Portsmouth boss him for about 10m, i think it is good.

Liverpool have slapped a £15million price tag on the England international, a fee which Portsmouth are refusing to pay.

Redknapp admits that he is keen to bring the striker back for a second spell at Fratton Park, but will not pay over the odds in order to get his man.

Crouch is desperate to find regular first-team football, while Pompey are keen to boost their attacking options, a situation which is ensuring that both parties are keen for a solution to be found.

"I don't know if the avenue for Peter Crouch is shut or not," Redknapp told The News.

"If Liverpool are asking £15m for him it is certainly shut.

"I like Peter, but he belongs to Liverpool at the moment.

"If the price is right something could happen. If they wanted £10m it would certainly be more interesting. We do need another front man.

"At the moment we have David Nugent, Kanu and Jermain Defoe. We need another one up there, at least.

"You need to have at least four strikers. So I need another good one up there."
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      Reply #343: Jun 08, 2008 06:57:50 pm
      http://www.eatsleepsport.com/articles/743480.html

Liverpool have reportedly dropped their valuation of striker Peter Crouch to £10million which could see a bid from Portsmouth.

Anfield chief Rafa Benitez does not want to lose the England international and slapped a prohibitive £15m price tag on the former Pompey favourite who is out of contract in a year.

Fratton Park chief Harry Redknapp is a big admirer of the giant striker who smashed 19 goals during his one-season stay on the south coast during the 2001/02 campaign.

Crouch knows his England career will not survive another year on the bench at Liverpool after falling behind Fernando Torres and Dirk Kuyt in the pecking order.

Redknapp has cash available to bolster his squad after qualifying for the Uefa Cup with Kanu yet to sign a new deal and David Nugent seemingly unwanted at the club.
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ____

15 Million pounds was good.

Still unable to get with the pecking order that preferred Kuyt to Crouch.
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      Reply #344: Jun 08, 2008 07:12:12 pm
      By CHRIS BASCOMBE , Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL’S cash-strapped American owners will overrule Rafa Benitez’s hardball stance on his £15million valuation of Peter Crouch.

The Anfield boss has vowed to keep Crouch and play him in the reserves unless he receives an £8m profit on the England international.

But with the 27-year-old having just a year left on his contract, the final decision on the price will be out of Benitez’s hands.

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp says he is willing to pay around £10m for Crouch.

If he follows up with a firm offer, Liverpool will begin negotiations with or without Benitez’s approval.

Fractured

That will infuriate the Spaniard. But with only £20m being made available by the Americans — roughly the amount Liverpool won for reaching the Champions League semi-finals — Benitez needs to raise funds for the rest of his summer spending.

The farcical situation at Anfield shows no sign of improving, with the crippling divisions in the club set to continue into next season.

Hicks and Gillett are resisting any attempts at mending their fractured relationship, while Dubai International Capital’s hopes of a takeover remain frustrated.

The co-owners have not communicated for months and are refusing to meet to thrash out their differences.

Tom Hicks insists he will find the necessary funds to buy out George Gillett — while Gillett is in the process of raising the resources to buy out Hicks.

One or the other must find £500m by September to realise their ambition of becoming sole owner of Liverpool. Even then the other must agree to sell his shares.

The club must prove it has the £300m to pay for the new stadium on Stanley Park, while Hicks or Gillett would need a further £200m to buy out their co-owner.

Neither is likely to succeed before the start of next season.

Veto

Failure to secure stadium funding in the next 12 weeks will jeopardise the start of building work as the pair seek to extend existing financial deadlines.

And that is putting calls for a shared stadium with Everton back on the agenda.

Hicks has spent the last month trying to raise funds — but not for Liverpool. His priority seems to be in assisting Republican presidential candidate John McCain in his bid for the White House.

Gillett, meanwhile, appears undecided whether to pursue a fresh partnership or cut his Anfield ties completely.

Talks with DIC hit a brick wall after Hicks exercised his right to veto any attempt by Gillett to sell without his agreement.

Legal challenges to Hicks failed to materialise as the agreement between the pair makes it clear Gillett could not sell against his partner’s wishes.

In the meantime, key transfer decisions are being made through an exchange of curt emails across the Atlantic.

Against this ridiculous background, Liverpool have had an improved £12million bid for Gareth Barry rejected.

Defiant

The Merseysiders offered a straight cash sum for the England midfielder, but Aston Villa still insist he is not for sale.

Kop boss Benitez had earlier offered £10m and a choice of players in a swap deal, but he may have to go as high as £15m to secure the 27-year-old’s services.

Villa boss Martin O’Neill, now in Switzerland for the European Championships, is remaining defiant in his resolve to keep Barry.

Benitez has also been frustrated in his attempt to buy Newcastle winger James Milner.

The Geordies told Liverpool they would have to cough up £7m — far beyond their valuation of the England Under-21 star.

Milner, 22, was targeted for a swap deal, with Jermaine Pennant heading to St James’ Park. But there is no way Benitez would allocate so much of his budget on the winger.

Benitez is keen to recruit more English blood because from next season the minimum number of home-grown players required in the 25-man Champions League squad goes up from six to eight.

Middlesbrough’s Stewart Downing is another target, but he would cost around £12m.

Quick Reply