Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Peter Crouch (Striker)

Read 67463 times
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Re: Peter Crouch (Striker)
      Reply #46: Feb 05, 2007 06:50:34 pm
      I'm sorry but there where times on Saturday when he just plain embarrassed himself, how many times did he fall over when going for a 50-50 ball in or around the box? And you cant tell me that not one of our other strikers couldnt have done better with the chance he had at the end of the game when his shot became a back pass!
      Yes he does score the odd spectacular goal but so did Danny Murphy and he wasn't good enough either, as for the 7.5mill price tag that is purely down to the fact he is English if we had got him from the continent for example he would have cost half the price and for me that would have been a more sensible fee, he is a budget player because we cant at the moment afford any better.
      The lad is slow his first touch can be terrible and for a man who is unusually tall his heading ability is dire,I mean surely it should be his strength something he would have worked on as a kid like for instance Nial Quinn or Jan Koller.
      Yes he has scored some crackers and I would never question his commitment and while he wears a red shirt I will back him to the hilt in front of non reds, but ask yourself this if Rafa gets as expected a war chest to go out and buy players do you think he is good enough to stay in the managers future plans?
      « Last Edit: Feb 05, 2007 06:53:06 pm by Glenbuck »
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #47: Feb 05, 2007 07:16:07 pm
      My personal opinion is that he is sellable, at the right price.  He does provide us with options that none of the strikers do, but a good point was raised in this thread. 

Where's all the headed goals from the fella? Very strange.

More than £10 million and we could do business.
      OK so we sell him for £10 million,who would you get for £10million to replace him?  :-\
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #48: Feb 05, 2007 09:27:05 pm
      OK so we sell him for £10 million,who would you get for £10million to replace him?  :-\

Can we not rebuild Fowler for £10 million?

Sell Cisse for another £6/7 million and then buy somebody for £18 million.

mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #49: Feb 05, 2007 10:04:01 pm

ok it's only paper talk, but £25m for Henry ?,
      put it this way £15m cash to find and sell Crouch for £10m - Bargin or what !!
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #50: Feb 06, 2007 01:24:56 am
      Not trying to flame but regarding Peter Crouch...is he really a good enough player for us?

I have been sitting on the fence since he arrived to be honest.  I just can't work him out.  You look at sides with the likes of Drogba, Rooney and Henry and then we have Crouch.  If we are going to be getting a bit of money in the summer then maybe it is time to cash in on him.

I've got nothing against the guy - he's scored some good important goals for us...but is he the future of our strike force?

I know I'm new but I agree with you. He is good but when we look at other team's strikers and compare ours we just don't seem half as good.
      I know I love Bellamy cos he's from Cardiff, he is good, but we need someone who's gonna score like 25 a season, like Drogba or Rooney (Even though I hate both their guts!!)
      For the price we got him and at the time, even now he is doing well, but I just think we need someone who's gonna score more consistently than him. Maybe at another club he could be their top scorer ever.
      Could we get £10m for him?! Maybe. Depends who bids. Steve Bruce has money to burn at the mo!!
      kawada
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #51: Feb 06, 2007 12:36:55 pm
      I think Rafa did a brill deal by getting crouch at that price. name a player that wud of cost that much and made a big impact in games?. ime sorry but crouch is fantastic. 

Dean Ashton..  Also Vennegoor of Hesselink would of been way cheaper and he is a better target man than crouch.  Crouch goes missing in the big games!

Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #52: Feb 06, 2007 12:53:39 pm
      ok it's only paper talk, but £25m for Henry ?,
      put it this way £15m cash to find and sell Crouch for £10m - Bargin or what !!

Can you honestly see Henry leaving Arsenal and come to Liverpool?It would nice but sorry cant see it myself.The problem we have is,no matter who we get they will have to be class and the problem I see is all the well known great players are already playing for well known big clubs, which means big wages and lots of money to try and get them leave the club their with and come to us
      KopQueen
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 526 posts |
      Reply #53: Feb 06, 2007 02:04:35 pm
      he has good feet yes but is that enough?

he is ineffective in a whole lot of games.  Gets the ball and passes it back or he just flicks it on without even looking too see if a Liverpool player is anywhere near.  yes he sometimes beats players but he has no pace at all so defenders always recover to get in a tackle. 

there are target men out there who are better players and better finishers then crouch.  Dean Ashton is just one of them!!

No it's not enough, and for me the Jury is still out for Crouchy.  Yes he's scored a few spectaculars, but as I've said before in previous posts, we haven't had a 20+ goal a season striker since Michael. Crouch can't head a ball either...... How's that?  He's 6ft7 for Christ's sake!! He may give us options, but he needs to get a decent run in the team too instead of been dropped all the time.

One more season for Crouchy or if we can get good money for him, sell his ass!!  ;)
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #54: Feb 06, 2007 02:51:00 pm

One more season for Crouchy or if we can get good money for him, sell his ass!!  ;)

i did not realize you can sell just bits of a player, maybe we could flog of the good bits left of Harry :laugh:

I would agree that he needs a run in the side to prove himself, and acknowledge his heading needs work but lets be honest the service from the flanks has not been the best :'(
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #55: Feb 06, 2007 04:58:49 pm
      I think crouch has had his ups and downs at anfield,i don't really blame for his recent failings though.Playing three strikers can sometimes be confusing.Even in the everton game, it was the forwards were uncommfortable,especially Kuyt(playing on the left side).Crouch provides us with an option very rare in other teams.Its rather unfortunate he scores less with his head than he should.Our wing play has not been all that impressive this season as in the Everton game when our wingers esp. Pennant had their crosses going of target
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #56: Feb 06, 2007 08:10:27 pm
      Well let's face it. He's not deadly is he. I reckon he'd probably do better with his head if he runs round with his laces undone and his shirt stuck over his head!!!
      Thing is though, he has popped up with a few important goals (one against the mancs in the FA Cup was a beautiful occasion I recall) and he can hold the ball up better than Heskeeeeeeeeee ever could. Don't think his future is with us for the long term though.
      For me, we need a DEADLY striker who CAN head the ball and hold the ball up for others to join the attack. He just doesn't fit the full bill in that sense...
      gerrard8
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts |
      Reply #57: Feb 11, 2007 08:23:45 pm
      hes big hes red his feet stick out the bed

good player but not amazing
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #58: Feb 11, 2007 10:11:07 pm
      In spain there likes much, a high forward who lowers balls of head, him  well to the betis
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #59: Feb 12, 2007 06:12:41 am
      So you get 10-12 mil for him...turn that money around and do you really think youll get someone better,  or not just better but even same skill? He is always going to take away that big defender....that is a priceless option for a manager because you put him in there with a real quality striker and your money.  And we have all seen him work well and he did sink the scum so he plays big games.  Hang on to him ditch cisse and bellamy, hold onto crouchy fowler and kuyt and dangle some american money in fornt of some world class strikers....that will leave great strike options.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #60: Feb 13, 2007 11:08:57 pm
      Fowler? He hardly does anything :( But he doesn't get much time on the pitch to be fair.
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #61: Feb 13, 2007 11:44:40 pm
      when he does play for a fair amount of time he is always influencial. But back to crouchy...
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #62: Feb 14, 2007 04:25:15 pm
      Sorry! Didn't mean to go off topic.

I think Crouch is good just sometimes spacks up good chances that could easily be goals if he took them properly instead of doing fancy kicks.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #63: Feb 14, 2007 06:05:29 pm
      I think Crouch is good just sometimes spacks up good chances that could easily be goals if he took them properly instead of doing fancy kicks.

Problem is Crouchy hasn't got the ability to nail 'em easy chances. He does it the hard way; which is just so Liverpool (comeback cup victories instead of straight forward victories, screamer goals instead of tap-ins)

Nah, don't mean I want to keep him. The chances he missed are too many and too dear in vital matches, let's replace him with a striker who's more convincing.
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #64: Feb 14, 2007 09:30:05 pm
      i reckon crouch is class to have around he scores his fair share of goals and makes them, if he was to work on his heading he could double the amount he gets in a season! but we paid 7mill for a English player who looks to be gonna score 15+ goals this year, you know what you get with crouch!
      i would keep him but i believe a lot of it depends on crouchy attitude is he ambitious enough to know this is as good as it gets he can play for the red maybe 20 times a year win a medal or 2 or he can go to newcastle or somewhere else maybe play more but win medels! no chance
      so yeah keep him if he accepts being on the bench if not get rid
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #65: Feb 19, 2007 10:35:44 pm
      I like Peter Crouch. I really do. Have to be honest too: sometimes I don't know why I like him so much hehe.. Cause he is very up and down. But.. I like him. Done so since he came. I remember I read this early interview with him, and you could really notice his passion and his pride playing for Liverpool. And I fell in love :)
      Now, I know this doesnt make him unique. But I belive in his potential. And I think that Liverpool is the right club for him to reach it.
      My new home shirt says nr 15 on the back, got it with long sleeves too ofcourse, got to have it authentic!!!  ;)
      And no matter what happens, no one will ever forget Galatasaray and Bolton!

(Just wanted to post this before his brilliant performance wednesday night at the Nou Camp!!!! hihi  :D )
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #66: Feb 19, 2007 11:15:56 pm
      Crouch by name but not by nature!
      Strikers, the same as keepers, are always in the spotlight. One mistake - you're a villan, one moment of magic  - you're a hero.
      He may not be the be all and end all when it comes to strikers but you can't fault his effort or skill.
      Crouchy does his fair share both as a support striker (ie holding the ball up for other players to run on or laying off balls to team mates). Equally he has the ability to pull rabbits out of hats with classy strikes. His ball control and footwork is excellent for someone who's all arms and legs! I beleive he will become better if he stays at Liverpool, he is already a handful for most defences so, with improved heading and finishing he will be well worth his transfer fee.
      My opinion: Crouchy should stay, and Dirk (quality all-rounder), Bellamy - the jury's out (50-50)
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #67: Feb 20, 2007 12:27:16 am
      Crouch by name but not by nature!
      Strikers, the same as keepers, are always in the spotlight. One mistake - you're a villan, one moment of magic  - you're a hero.
      He may not be the be all and end all when it comes to strikers but you can't fault his effort or skill.
      Crouchy does his fair share both as a support striker (ie holding the ball up for other players to run on or laying off balls to team mates). Equally he has the ability to pull rabbits out of hats with classy strikes. His ball control and footwork is excellent for someone who's all arms and legs! I beleive he will become better if he stays at Liverpool, he is already a handful for most defences so, with improved heading and finishing he will be well worth his transfer fee.
      My opinion: Crouchy should stay, and Dirk (quality all-rounder), Bellamy - the jury's out (50-50)

Thank you sir :)
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #68: Feb 20, 2007 12:56:10 am
      Why, thank you for thanking me ma'am!  ;)

Quick Reply