Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Xabi Alonso (L'Arsenal)

Read 9558 times
      Mr Topsy Turvey
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 226 posts |
      Xabi Alonso (L'Arsenal)
      Aug 04, 2008 08:47:52 am
      Source

ARSENE WENGER is on the verge of signing Liverpool outcast Xabi Alonso.
      Wenger has turned to the £16m-rated Spaniard to provide the experience lacking in his young midfield at the Emirates Stadium.

The Arsenal manager moved for Alonso after admitting defeat in his late bid to tempt Gareth Barry away from the clutches of Rafa Benitez.

He has already moved swiftly to make contact with the Reds and expects to tie up a cut-price deal within days.

Alonso is valued highly at Anfield but Arsenal expect them to do business for nearer £12m as they need funds to buy Barry from Aston Villa.

Wenger was keeping his cards close to his chest last night, but sources in Liverppool suggest the deal is all but done.

Wenger said: “I don’t know if Gareth Barry will leave Aston Villa. At the moment I am not on this case. I like Gareth Barry – and I like two or three other players. I don’t speak about names.”

Alonso is surplus to requirements at Anfield despite winning Euro 2008 with Spain.

He even held talks with Juventus earlier this summer.

But the Gunners are now in pole position to land the 26-year-old as a replacement for Mathieu Flamini, who quit to join AC Milan.

Wenger had said Abou Diaby would play the holding role this season.

But the Arsenal boss now wants a more experienced player in there to lead his youngsters after selling Gilberto Silva to the Greek side Panathinaikos.

The prospect of Alonso moving to Arsenal and teaming up with Cesc Fabregas will horrify Liverpool fans.

They warmly received the Spanish international when he scored from the penalty spot in the win over Rangers at Ibrox at the weekend.

Benitez is prepared to sell the player, but admitted that the price tag which has already scared off Juventus, could be a problem for clubs.

“Xabi is a very good player,” he said. “It will not be easy to sell because the value of Alonso in the market will be really high.

“We are pleased because we don’t want Alonso to go unless we get a very good price.”

Juventus boss Claudio Ranieri, when asked if there was still a chance of signing Alonso, said: “No. Not at all.”
      -------------------------------------

We shouldn't sell him to another rival for teh title I don't think, Juve, maybe because he can't play us that much, but not to a domestic rival, let alone a fellow title challenger
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,703 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Xabi Alonso (L'Arsenal)
      Reply #1: Aug 04, 2008 08:59:37 am
      WTF. rafa did you forget when ferg. didnt sell us heinze 'cos we are thier rivals therefore from that example we must not sell alonso to any other english club!!!! Why rafa???
      browser
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #2: Aug 04, 2008 09:09:03 am
      Ridiculous and madness if true
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: Aug 04, 2008 10:08:57 am
      The lengths we go to secure Barry. If he is a flop, i would be down right F***ing pissed off. Not only this, why boost Arsenal's chances?!?!?

I dont think it will happen but i have a few walls that are prepared to be punched should the deal go through.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #4: Aug 04, 2008 10:15:02 am
      If Alonso is sold, i would be furious if he was sold to a rival. In fact i would be even more furious if we sold him in the first place. He must not be sold!

LFCJAK
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      Reply #5: Aug 04, 2008 10:19:34 am
      If Alonso is sold, I would be furious if he was sold to a rival. In fact I would be even more furious if we sold him in the first place. He must not be sold!

i agree he is a class player much better than barry but i think rafa will go ahead with the deal thoug
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #6: Aug 04, 2008 11:26:22 am
      This is getting stupid. First they are saying rafa wants to keep him now this. Dont believe it in the slightest, arsenal dont even have enough money for him.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #7: Aug 04, 2008 11:48:04 am

Completely agree.  I'm pretty worried by this to be honest.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #8: Aug 04, 2008 12:08:36 pm
      Well pissed off if this happens  :f_steam:   Xabi is worth 10 of Barry.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #9: Aug 04, 2008 12:13:18 pm
      I hope Barry has diamonds up his ass or something after all this.  :D
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #10: Aug 04, 2008 12:25:24 pm
      Seems like this is just more media garbage!!!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3906412,00.html
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #11: Aug 04, 2008 12:26:19 pm
      It just goes to show how messed up this whole Alonso, Barry saga is now even Wenger would rather have Alonso than to put in a last minute bid for Barry who has showed he wants out.  How stupid are we to still persue him?
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #12: Aug 04, 2008 12:34:08 pm
      Some sites suggesting that Wenger is looking to get Veloso instead. I'd be very surprised if Rafa sold Xabi to Arsenal.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #13: Aug 04, 2008 12:37:44 pm
      i will be absolutaly gutted if he goes to the Gooners!
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #14: Aug 04, 2008 01:01:51 pm
      “We are pleased because we don’t want Alonso to go unless we get a very good price.”

Good on you Rafa. We're showing some balls in the market!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #15: Aug 04, 2008 01:18:49 pm
      Good stuff rafa, i think i said this before, but xabi has prooved even in pre season that he's a much better player than barry
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #16: Aug 04, 2008 02:35:24 pm
      I asked this before ,don't know if in this same thread, BUT are we that desparate to get rid of a  top class player like Xabi Alonso,and to a rediculous price  nearing 12 mill. 
        like someone said before  I think too this is all media sh*t 
         ok bring Barry BUT we do not have to sell Xabi to raise the 18mill  ,if this happens I think Barry will have a strange start  as a liiverpool player from fans remembering we had to sell one of our best players toi bring in Barry
      « Last Edit: Aug 04, 2008 02:40:35 pm by xabigerrard »
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #17: Aug 04, 2008 02:44:02 pm
      LIVERPOOL will not accept a cut price offer for Xabi Alonso.

Arsenal tried to take advantage of the Reds' need to raise funds for the Gareth Barry transfer with an enquiry over the weekend.

But they were deterred from making a formal bid by Liverpool's £18m valuation.

The Gunners' valuation was nearer £12m, and while Arsene Wenger hopes Liverpool's asking price will drop as the August 31 transfer deadline draws nearer, the Reds were adamant today that will not happen.

Alonso scored from the penalty spot in Saturday's 4-0 romp at Ibrox and boss Rafa Benitez said: "Xabi played very well and he's a very good player.

"I'm pleased about this. The value of Alonso in the transfer market will be high and we're really pleased with him and don't want him to go if it's not a very good price."

The immediate need for funds to complete the Barry deal have eased after co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett agreed to underwrite the fee in what amounts to a short-term loan.

The Reds were waiting on confirmation from the Americans today that the funds are in place before making a fresh offer to Villa.

Once Barry has arrived at Anfield, the onus will then be on Benitez to raise cash to pay back the debt.

source..Liverpool Banter
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #18: Aug 04, 2008 03:41:48 pm
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #19: Aug 04, 2008 03:45:27 pm
      I think, (and I'm hoping) that the media needed space to fill in the papers so decided to make up this story.
      I'll be upset though if Xabi does go to Arsenal.
       :f_steam:
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #20: Aug 04, 2008 06:11:58 pm
      We have to do something so rafa knows that we dont want to see xabi leaving us, especielly not to ARSEnal. end of the its rafa choice but atleast he knows our point of view.
      Kopkingo
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 70 posts |
      Reply #21: Aug 04, 2008 06:17:26 pm
      I don't want Xabi to go either, but what are you suggesting Billo?  Since when did Liverpool supporters tell the manager who he should or shouldn't sell / sign?  We'll be going round waving flags like F***ing Newcastle or Manc city fans next.
      Mr Topsy Turvey
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 226 posts |
      Reply #22: Aug 04, 2008 06:17:48 pm
      I think we all just need to trust in what Rafa is doing, because after all - we haven't won a champions league or an FA cup with the biggest club in the world have we?

Quick Reply