Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jay Spearing

Read 97928 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Jay Spearing player thread
      Reply #23: Dec 09, 2008 10:01:03 pm
      Showed some nice touches tonight and set up N'Gog who unfortunately shot over the bar towards the end.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #24: Dec 09, 2008 10:02:34 pm
      Didnt look at all out of place. Delighted for him
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #25: Dec 09, 2008 10:06:07 pm
      Very impressed with Spearing tonight even if it was only for a few minutes. The most impressive thing was he didn't just go on and stroll about. He got stuck into the game and played some nice passes and looked like he really wanted to impress. As I said in the match thread I hope to see a bit more from him before the end of the season.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #26: Dec 09, 2008 10:07:18 pm
      I was very impressed with him when he came on.  Lets hope he gets more chances throughout the season.  Same goes for Darby.  Think he's class ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #27: Dec 09, 2008 10:16:37 pm
      For maybe the last 18 months one player has stood out as the one I would love to see progress to the first team more then others including Nemeth and thats Jay Spearing. For 2 reasons first hes a local lad and second hes a good player. But Ive had to listen to experts say hes to small! To me thats sh*te talk hes a fine footballer brain wise and as he showed against Lazio for Voronins goal he has an eye for a smart pass. He has the the heart to do well I mean Ive seen bigger men with less balls going into a 50 50 tackle in fact this boy will win 60 40 tackles because he has the balls to do it! Basically Id like to know if the rest of ye think he can make it or will it be a case of 3 years from now hell be a star for Man City or someone and well curse not giving him a chance?   
      who's the clarevoyant then.tonight he came on for the last 10 minutes or so and put his stamp on the game like a regular,well in.
      « Last Edit: Dec 09, 2008 10:25:59 pm by stuey »
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #28: Dec 09, 2008 10:50:45 pm
      Nice to see the young lads get a chance tonight,well done Jay!!!
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #29: Dec 09, 2008 10:58:02 pm
      Arsenal young guns are not in the same league .......
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #30: Dec 10, 2008 05:31:59 am
      Congrats Jay, you did very well when you came on, look forward to seeing more of you in Liverpool colours in the future.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #31: Dec 10, 2008 07:00:48 am
      But Ive had to listen to experts say hes to small!

I've heard some similar things. It's BS, Michael Owen is tiny and he's one of the best players in the premier league.

I don't think he will be getting many games in the near future, though. It's not just that out mid-field is world class, but also that it's fairly young, too. I hope he gets Carling Cup and FA Cup experience.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #32: Dec 10, 2008 08:01:40 am
      Spearing was outstanding he came on and really made some good passes i would really like to see more of him in the league
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #33: Dec 10, 2008 11:46:34 am
      I don't see what a lot of other contributors to this thread espouse,
      Yes Jay is, as I see it a good squad player, but that is all!
      If I was to use one word to describe him, it would be "mediocre" and I'm an avid viewer of reserve games.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #34: Dec 10, 2008 12:31:50 pm
      If I was to use one word to describe him, it would be "mediocre" and I'm an avid viewer of reserve games.

Controversial, i'll give you that.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #35: Dec 10, 2008 01:46:36 pm

I also watch the reserve games... average? i think he has bags of potential, was great to see him come on last night and look comfortable, but unless we get rocked by injuries he's still a season or two from being involved more with the first team.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #36: Dec 10, 2008 06:13:15 pm
      who's the clarevoyant then.tonight he came on for the last 10 minutes or so and put his stamp on the game like a regular,well in.

Nice to see all my posts arent just waffle  ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #37: Dec 10, 2008 06:45:25 pm

Have to disagree there mate. He hasn't been on form for a good few months now but since he was in the youth team up until near the end of last season he's been very impressive in my opinion. He's shown in the past that he's one hundred percent commited in challenges - he never bottles out. He's got a great shot on him and has scored some very good goals. He can pass the ball well and he'll run all day long up and down the pitch for the team. He's also looked very good off the ball too.

Hopefully he'll kick on after last nights game and find his form again, as I admit he hasn't been his usual self for a little while now. But neither have a lot of the other reserve lads. The only one I'd say who's carried their consistancy on is Darby.

Spearing's a good player with a good attitude and a lot of potential I reckon.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #38: Dec 11, 2008 08:20:08 am
      Have to disagree there mate. He hasn't been on form for a good few months now but since he was in the youth team up until near the end of last season he's been very impressive in my opinion. He's shown in the past that he's one hundred percent commited in challenges - he never bottles out. He's got a great shot on him and has scored some very good goals. He can pass the ball well and he'll run all day long up and down the pitch for the team. He's also looked very good off the ball too.

Hopefully he'll kick on after last nights game and find his form again, as I admit he hasn't been his usual self for a little while now. But neither have a lot of the other reserve lads. The only one I'd say who's carried their consistancy on is Darby.

Spearing's a good player with a good attitude and a lot of potential I reckon.
      I would agree with you that he has bundles to give in the commitment and aggression departments.
      But in all our youth / reserve squad and any other player for that matter, I look for that certain something that makes the player stand out, a la Owen and Gerrard. Maybe I'm being harsh on the lad, and I apologies for that, but I just don't see him no where near a great, that why I used the label "squad player" on him.
      Sorry Jay, and everbody else who disagrees with me.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #39: Dec 11, 2008 10:15:20 am
      Spearing is a player who works hard and looks for the simple pass. I watched him a few times for the reserves last season,nothing flash about him but he can pass is way out of most places with short simple passes so in that respect he is more a European type of player which Rafa has encouraged.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #40: Dec 11, 2008 04:21:25 pm
      I would agree with you that he has bundles to give in the commitment and aggression departments.
      But in all our youth / reserve squad and any other player for that matter, I look for that certain something that makes the player stand out, a la Owen and Gerrard. Maybe I'm being harsh on the lad, and I apologies for that, but I just don't see him no where near a great, that why I used the label "squad player" on him.
      Sorry Jay, and everbody else who disagrees with me.

Nothing wrong with your opinion mate, you're entitled to it so there's no need to say sorry at all. I suppose time will tell whether he goes on to become a great player or not. And he is a squad player at the moment.

I hope he can go on and prove me right at Liverpool. Not only for the fact of his potential, but also because he's a local lad and there is a danger of that being a thing of the past here.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #41: Dec 11, 2008 04:43:03 pm
      I certainly hope he gets given a chance.  He looked as assured on the ball as either Mascherano or Lucas did.

Maybe I'm biased because he's a local lad and I feel it's important, not having just English players, but having lads from the Academy come through.  He came on, did an excellent job - what more could he do to impress Rafa?  If these people do a job when called on then they deserve to be given a chance.  We will never find out if he is good enough or not without giving him a chance.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #42: Dec 11, 2008 05:25:14 pm
      I thought his run out last game he looked in his element and to be honest shown a lot more in such a limited time than Plessis in the 4 games he played (he looks of taken a step backwards imo). The problem is that he will need someone to get hurt to really get another shot at playing because we are deep in the middle of the park but who knows what will happen.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #43: Dec 11, 2008 05:28:17 pm
      Maybe I'm biased because he's a local lad and I feel it's important, not having just English players, but having lads from the Academy come through.
      Jd he has the spirit of a local boy wanting to impress his city & he plays to improve the quility of the team not to show off like many foreigners players (not in general 'cos torres, masch.,reina ecc are adopted scouses)
      He is like gerrard & carragher play for their shirt.
      I know jd that this ^^^ you know it.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #44: Dec 11, 2008 06:46:35 pm
      I certainly hope he gets given a chance.  He looked as assured on the ball as either Mascherano or Lucas did.

Maybe I'm biased because he's a local lad and I feel it's important, not having just English players, but having lads from the Academy come through.  He came on, did an excellent job - what more could he do to impress Rafa?  If these people do a job when called on then they deserve to be given a chance.  We will never find out if he is good enough or not without giving him a chance.

totally agree.. its just difficult what game to give him a chance in with so many games being important. I'd like to see him given another chance, at home this time if were looking comfortable.
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #45: Dec 11, 2008 06:59:18 pm
      He looks a promising player,being a local lad he has the hunger as well,nice to see youth being given a chance alongside the seasoned pros.

Quick Reply