Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Jay Spearing

Read 98796 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Re: Jay Spearing player thread
      Reply #46: Dec 12, 2008 12:03:21 am
      totally agree.. its just difficult what game to give him a chance in with so many games being important. I'd like to see him given another chance, at home this time if were looking comfortable.
      might be that he shows his potential best on big occasions ,that seemed to be the case against psv so throw him in at the deep end!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #47: Dec 12, 2008 12:20:00 am
      might be that he shows his potential best on big occasions ,that seemed to be the case against psv so throw him in at the deep end!

I remember seeing him play in the youth team in defence. It was no big occasion but he was the biggest character on the pitch. He was a menace in our own players ears and a nightmare for the opposition. So I wasn't surprised to see him slot into the side nicely when he came on against PSV.

He's definitely got potential and I'd love to see him take some part in a game at Anfield. People who have never seen him play before will no doubt judge him by his size. But he's certainly a bigger player than he looks.

I'm not going to big him up too much though. He's going to be rough around the edges. So I have no doubt, if he's in Rafa's plans, he'll be introduced slowly.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #48: Dec 12, 2008 10:20:20 am

He's definitely got potential and I'd love to see him take some part in a game at Anfield. People who have never seen him play before will no doubt judge him by his size. But he's certainly a bigger player than he looks.

I'm not going to big him up too much though. He's going to be rough around the edges. So I have no doubt, if he's in Rafa's plans, he'll be introduced slowly.
      The fact that the manager chose to blood him in such a massive arena shows as you rightfully say,that he has plans for the lad but I think he has a unique mindset for the big occasion unlike some individuals who would be overawed and intimidated on such a stage.Maybe it would benefit the lad if he were given more opportunities in big matches to hone his obvious talents.
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #49: Dec 12, 2008 02:03:06 pm
      He looks a tidy player and a little terrier, but I am worried about his height...it could really hamper his prospects at the highest level.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #50: Dec 12, 2008 07:34:35 pm
      He looks a tidy player and a little terrier, but I am worried about his height...it could really hamper his prospects at the highest level.

I agree with you on the 1st bit about him looking a tidy player but that bit about his height (dont take this the wrong way by the way :D) is just a load of crap. Height has nothing to do with it anymore, Masch is short and IMO he is the best defensive midfielder in the world, Messi is short and it kills me to say this but Scholes has had a very good career and he is short. If Spearing is really good enough then he will make it regardless of his height, gone of the days when short players did'nt make it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #51: Dec 12, 2008 08:33:59 pm
      I agree with you on the 1st bit about him looking a tidy player but that bit about his height (dont take this the wrong way by the way :D) is just a load of crap. Height has nothing to do with it anymore, Masch is short and IMO he is the best defensive midfielder in the world, Messi is short and it kills me to say this but Scholes has had a very good career and he is short. If Spearing is really good enough then he will make it regardless of his height, gone of the days when short players did'nt make it.
      it pains me as well to recall the exploits of another wee man,Nobby Stiles used to scare the sh*t out of the opposition he was more of a bull terrier.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #52: Dec 13, 2008 12:02:35 am

He's only an inch shorter than the one and only Kenny Dalglish...............i f your good enough, your big enough  :)

To me...........he's a bit in the Sammy Lee mould.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #53: Dec 13, 2008 12:41:02 am
      Put in a excellent shift the other day, keep it up lad and the games will come!
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #54: Dec 13, 2008 01:39:47 pm
      Its a big disappointment for me that Spearing and Darby never got a run out in the League cup this year. This is the competition that they should be being blooded in. Spearing could have about 5 appearances in the first team now, and all valuable experience for the lad. Spearing will always give you energy in midfield, he's a good passer of the ball, bites in every tackle and when I see Lucas being picked or coming on from the bench a head of him I can't understand it. Even if he doesn't turn out good enough to be first choice for the 'Pool he will always give 200% and that will make him a more effective player for us (even if only a squad player) than some of the multi million pound foreigner's we buy and play ahead of him!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #55: Dec 18, 2008 09:35:25 am

The only problem I've got with him is...

Is he too small? 5 foot 6?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #56: Dec 18, 2008 12:59:12 pm

The only problem I've got with him is...

Is he too small? 5 foot 6?

A worry I had too but I now believe that what he lacks in height is covered by his ability on the ball to find a pass and get a tackle in. Sammy Lee was about 5'6 as well and he done ok!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #57: Dec 19, 2008 12:01:41 am
      F**k height, he doesn't let it bother him, he's still prepared to mix it with players a foot (or more) taller than him. He's got the ability to make it, it's just whether or not he gets the chances with our midfield being as good as it is. I'd like to see him involved a bit more, maybe to replace Masch when he comes off because they're similar type of players - the bull terrier go in for everything type of player.

Will only improve by playing with better quality around him.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #58: Dec 19, 2008 12:10:06 am

What's height ever done to you? Leave height alone you big meany.  ;)

Totally agree with him improving with better quality around him. He's already a good footballer so a few sub appearances will be very good for him.

Along with Darby, definitely a player who I have high hopes for. (no pun intended)

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #59: Dec 19, 2008 12:29:37 am
      What's height ever done to you? Leave height alone you big meany.  ;)

It's never quite got round to me, that's what. I'm a similar height to Jay and similar type of player who'll go in for every tackle in the middle of the park. So I'm really desperate for him to suceed because of that.
      kopfan
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts |
      Reply #60: Feb 13, 2009 05:41:53 pm
      When could we see him running on the pitch during the league games again?
      He should be given more chance to play as our captain is injured.
      Alonso and Mash should start every game now and could get some rest if we are taking a good lead, Spearing use as replacement.
      Kopite09
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts |
      Reply #61: Feb 13, 2009 07:55:55 pm
      Look at Mascherano he is'nt exactly a giant and he's done alright !
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #62: Feb 14, 2009 01:45:05 am
      liverpool players should only need height if they are defenders or attacker, not midfielders,

liverpool play a pass pass pass game, if you can pass well, tackle well and have a good football brain then height shouldnt make much difference for a midfielder
      Dansven
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts | -2 
      Reply #63: Feb 14, 2009 02:31:33 am
      he´s a good player
      The lovery big head boy !
      auyhauhauah
      miguelred
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts |
      Reply #64: Feb 14, 2009 02:52:25 am
      I like this player  in the game in Holland, I think he has a great future.
      When
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts | -5 
      Reply #65: Feb 15, 2009 09:59:01 pm
      I like this player  in the game in Holland, I think he has a great future.
      '

Agree with you.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #66: Feb 16, 2009 06:36:09 am
      Sammy Lee like,a little terrier. 
      Tombo
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts | -2 
      Reply #67: Feb 16, 2009 03:30:24 pm
      Hopefully in the last few games of the season when we have the league wrapped up and want to rest players for the C/L final, Rafa will let a few of the reserve team have a go!
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #68: Feb 16, 2009 07:34:22 pm
      Hopefully in the last few games of the season when we have the league wrapped up and want to rest players for the C/L final, Rafa will let a few of the reserve team have a go!

That there is a beautiful example of extreme optimism !! ;D

Quick Reply