Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Jay Spearing

Read 98387 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Jay Spearing Player Thread
      Reply #920: Apr 29, 2013 12:22:43 pm
      Congratulations to Jay for becoming Bolton Player of the season:

@LFCphoto: Congratulations to #LFC loan star Jay Spearing who has won Bolton's 'Player of the Season' Award. Nice one Jay! http://t.co/2Bp4sht3fz

Could he come back and do a decent job as back up? Not so sure but, while I haven't seen him play at all season, must be doing something right. Probably a lower Premier League standard player but I wish him the best either way.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #921: Apr 29, 2013 12:30:16 pm
      Well done Jay lad. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #922: Apr 29, 2013 12:35:16 pm
      Well done Jay.

Always liked him as a player and still feel he could have offered us something here this season.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #923: Apr 29, 2013 12:37:40 pm
      I understand that his 'fight and attitude' are great but is he really going to take us to the next level and help us to break into the top 4 again? I've got a feeling that the answer to that is a definite no. He would be an OK back up just like he was before he went out on loan but he isn't good enough for our first team. We need somebody that will compete with Lucas on an ability level not just attitude and fight. Those aspects can only get a player so far, they need the ability and Jay I think has found his home/level at Bolton.

Regardless of how I feel about him starting for Liverpool I think it would be nice for him to have his future sorted once and for all during the summer, if he stays then I will support him but if not and he ends up at Bolton permanently then good for him!
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #924: Apr 30, 2013 08:42:55 am
      Sell him. No point in keeping him.

He was not good enough for us and never will be. Championship suits him more. A bit cruel but an honest opinion.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #925: Apr 30, 2013 07:29:27 pm
      Wonder will Bolton snap him up now that he's been their best player this season?

Bolton's not too far from Liverpool either, so maybe Jay would be up for it too, proper first team slot there.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #926: Apr 30, 2013 07:42:05 pm
      Well done Jay - I think he would have been a useful option but equally have no doubt BR wouldn't have picked him.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #927: Apr 30, 2013 08:53:56 pm
      We should sell to Bolton. Good move for all involved.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #928: Jul 07, 2013 11:09:51 pm
      Jays been sold to Blackburn for £1.5M according to the Mirror.

Liverpool agree to sell Jay Spearing to Blackburn for £1.5million

Championship side Rovers want the Kop-grown midfielder to fill the boots of Danny Murphy – but may have to sell a player

Liverpool have agreed to sell home-grown star Jay Spearing to Blackburn Rovers in a £1.5million deal.

Boss Brendan Rodgers will let midfield dynamo Spearing leave and the Kop have struck a payment plan with Rovers.

Now Blackburn’s Indian owners Venkys are under pressure to push through the move quickly - although they may have to sell a player first to complete.

Rovers want Spearing to fill the gap left by Danny Murphy, but they were expecting cash from Martin Olsson’s move to Norwich to pay for his replacement.

Olsson is yet to finalise personal terms on a £2.5 million switch to the Canaries. The alternative is for Venkys to find the Spearing funds from their own pockets.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-jay-spearing-2036660
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #929: Jul 08, 2013 01:39:42 am
      £1.5m from their Venky's own pocket, that's chicken feed.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #930: Jul 08, 2013 11:50:17 am
      While I never thought Spearing would make the grade £1.5m seems a ridiculously low fee to me.

English, 24, that alone would set us back £10m. In all honesty I expected us to get nearer £5m for Jay and am very disappointed by the fee being reported there.

Seems Ayre may have slightly confused the phrase buy 'em cheap, sell 'em high, because we very rarely buy cheap and we almost never sell high.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #931: Jul 08, 2013 12:34:59 pm
      Thought it would be around 3mil myself to be honest.

Spent the last season in the Championship, and looks to be heading there permanently. I still remember people wanted him in the team, but he's obviously found his level now. No disrespect to the lad, he always gave his all, but sometimes talent just over-rides heart & desire.

He has a good short-passing range, but his eagerness in the tackle & size just weren't suited to the PL game, IMO.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #932: Jul 08, 2013 02:31:56 pm
      In all honesty I expected us to get nearer £5m for Jay

Really? Seems too big an asking price to me. Think you have to remember he spent all of last season in the Championship. If he'd been on loan to a Premier League club, maybe the fee would have been £3-5m for Jay.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #933: Jul 08, 2013 04:14:03 pm
      Yeah I think I was expecting something around £2-3M but it doesn't shock me to be fair.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #934: Jul 08, 2013 04:50:51 pm
      I doubt the club were willing to wait around for a better offer to come in at some point this window.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #935: Jul 08, 2013 06:18:10 pm
      Would have expected about double that to be honest but I'm not going to complain because he was no where near good enough so gotten in an extra bit of money and a player we don't need off the wage bill.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #936: Jul 09, 2013 12:36:30 am
      £1.5m from their Venky's own pocket, that's chicken feed.

Too good not to post Rodders ! ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #937: Jul 09, 2013 12:42:55 am
      Loved his work ethic and drive. Put in some excellent performances notably during Kenny's first few months. Not a surprise he's leaving but it's still sad to see him go after working his way up from those days in the Academy and beyond.

Hope he does magnificently at Blackburn if he is indeed going there.

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #938: Jul 09, 2013 10:29:01 am
      So just to clarify has this deal been completed?  wish him all the luck in the world never gave less than 100% for the shirt and some players should take a leaf out of his book on work ethic.

do we know how much a week he was on as it all adds up if we are to sign a replacement for GOOFY when he does one
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #939: Aug 05, 2013 03:39:39 pm
      Rumors that Bolton will try to sign Jay permanently this summer.  Good move for all parties.  He would never be more than a bit part player here.  I love the Wee-Man's enthusiasm and intensity, but he just isn't LFC quality.  Hopefully he can move on and get more minutes with Bolton. 
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #940: Aug 09, 2013 01:12:32 pm
      Best of luck at Bolton, Jay!
      Always gave his best and had some good moments with the red shirt, but I'm afraid he needs this move if he wants to play regularly. Hope he continues to do well for them.

Spearing completes Bolton switch
      Liverpool Football Club have confirmed Jay Spearing has joined Bolton Wanderers on a permanent transfer.

The midfielder made 55 appearances for the Reds' first team after graduating from the club's Academy.

Spearing spent last term on loan at the Reebok Stadium, where he was named Player of the Season.

Everybody at Liverpool FC would like to wish Jay all the best for the future.

Official website
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #941: Aug 09, 2013 01:24:42 pm
      Best of luck Jay
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #942: Aug 09, 2013 01:52:49 pm
      Best of luck to the wee man. An extremely likeable lad and always a hard worker.

Quick Reply