Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Liverpool V Man U

Read 30738 times
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Re: Liverpool V Man U
      Reply #138: Sep 12, 2008 02:18:39 am
                     Reina

Carra  Skrtel  Agger  Dossena

Masch  Plessis

Pennant   Keane   Reira

Babel

This would be my choice of a line up obviously with Pennant and Babel taking Gerrard and Torres's positions.  I think we need strength infront of the back four to really not let utd attacking players settle, for me I think Plessis will do a good job.
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2008 02:22:10 am by king kenny »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,697 posts | 3714 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #139: Sep 12, 2008 07:45:54 am
                               Reina
      Carra        Skrtel           Agger        Aurelio or dossena
                           Mascherano
      Pennant            Alonso                 Riera
                     Keane              Babel
      Sub:Cava. hyypia, Arbeloa, Aur or doss, spearing, benayoun, Ngog.

I would not rush torres & gerrard. this only one game(important).
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2008 02:10:21 pm by clint_call01, Reason: Spearing not guthrie »
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #140: Sep 12, 2008 08:04:28 am
      Think it'll b a draw. Both teams will play it very tight, unless somebody can come out with a brilliant winner. Don't think it'll be an interesting game as well. Nobody want to lose.

Hope they prove me wrong and the Liverbird rise high.

king-nando
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 148 posts |
      Reply #141: Sep 12, 2008 08:19:42 am
      my team for the game:
                            reina
      arbeloa     skrtel     carra     dossena

lucas  masch   alonso

babel                                    riera
                           keane

wouldn't risk gerrard or torres
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,697 posts | 3714 
      Reply #142: Sep 12, 2008 09:19:58 am
      Update on torres and gerrard.

HOPES RISE FOR TORRES from football365.com
      Fernando Torres is believed to have a better chance of being passed fit for Liverpool's clash with Manchester United tomorrow than Steven Gerrard.

The striker has been out of action since suffering a hamstring injury against Aston Villa two weeks ago but is reputedly more likely to face the champions at Anfield than Gerrard. The Liverpool captain had a minor operation on a groin injury before the match with Villa but admitted earlier this week that he was unlikely to recover in time for Saturday's noon kick-off.

Benitez is intent on delaying a decision on the pair's participation until the last possible moment but Gerrard's return to action is most likely to be against Marseilles on Tuesday night in the Champions League.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #143: Sep 12, 2008 09:40:01 am
       I am picking on Torres to start and Stevie on the bench, Stevie to come on for the last 15 minutes when we are 2 goals in front. ;D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #144: Sep 12, 2008 01:12:17 pm
      24 hours to go!  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Really can't wait for this match, such a crucial one early in the season! Feeling totally pumped up, excited, can't wait for kick-off! :D

I'm sticking with my prediction of 2-1, regardless of whether or not Torres or Gerrard start the game. We've got to show more determination to go for the win than we did against Villa, beating the other top three teams at home this season would take us a massive step closer to challenging for the title.

Seeing Fergie's smile wiped off his F***ing smug red face by two goals from Keane would make my day!

:action-smiley-055: Up yours, Rudolph! Number 19 is ours!
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #145: Sep 12, 2008 01:24:02 pm
      24 hours to go!  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Really can't wait for this match, such a crucial one early in the season! Feeling totally pumped up, excited, can't wait for kick-off! :D

I'm sticking with my prediction of 2-1, regardless of whether or not Torres or Gerrard start the game. We've got to show more determination to go for the win than we did against Villa, beating the other top three teams at home this season would take us a massive step closer to challenging for the title.

Seeing Fergie's smile wiped off his F***ing smug red face by two goals from Keane would make my day!

:action-smiley-055: Up yours, Rudolph! Number 19 is ours!

That's the spirit mate! we know it's gonna be a tough challenge but we're Liverpool the big game team!

I think it's quite funny also that people are predicting Pennant to start, he is well and truly out of favour right now and with us having enough cover up front I can't see him being picked in favour of Kuyt.  Also I thought Guthrie plays for the Magpies now?

Reina
      Carra        Skrtel           Agger        Aurelio or dossena
                           Mascherano
      Pennant            Alonso                 Riera
                     Keane              Babel
      Sub:Cava. hyypia, Arbeloa, Aur or doss, gurthrie, benayoun, Ngog.

I would not rush torres & gerrard. this only one game(important).
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #146: Sep 12, 2008 01:25:49 pm
      i see on the official site there are pictures of Torres and Gerrard in full training ready for the Man U game.

Mind games or what? ???
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #147: Sep 12, 2008 01:31:24 pm
      Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard have both been passed fit to face Manchester United at Anfield this weekend. 
      Both players completed a light training session at Melwood this morning and have been included in the squad to take on Alex Ferguson's men tomorrow.

More to follow. 

GET IN!
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2008 01:38:11 pm by AJ »
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #148: Sep 12, 2008 01:51:13 pm
      i see on the official site there are pictures of Torres and Gerrard in full training ready for the Man U game.

Mind games or what? ???

Some pictures here aswell

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,3219.msg172827.html#msg172827
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,697 posts | 3714 
      Reply #149: Sep 12, 2008 02:07:55 pm

I think it's quite funny also that people are predicting Pennant to start, he is well and truly out of favour right now and with us having enough cover up front I can't see him being picked in favour of Kuyt.  Also I thought Guthrie plays for the Magpies now?

I made a big mistake i wanted to write spearing not guthrie :(
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #150: Sep 12, 2008 02:13:18 pm
      Now that it's official that Stevie and Nando are fit I think they have to play. You've got to look at what's more important. This or the Champions League game? For me personally we have to be full strenght for this because we can't afford to fall behind United and Chelsea so early in the season, plus United still have that game in hand. Whereas I think we can probably afford to drop the odd point in Europe.

I just hope we haven't rushed our two stars back too early. But if they're fit then they must play.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #151: Sep 12, 2008 02:16:19 pm
      Now that it's official that Stevie and Nando are fit I think they have to play. You've got to look at what's more important. This or the Champions League game? For me personally we have to be full strenght for this because we can't afford to fall behind United and Chelsea so early in the season, plus United still have that game in hand. Whereas I think we can probably afford to drop the odd point in Europe.

I just hope we haven't rushed our two stars back too early. But if they're fit then they must play.

That's the key point, isn't it. If they're trying too hard to be ready for this match and end up aggravating their injuries, it's going to be even harder keeping up with United. We should only play them if they are 100% sure.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #152: Sep 12, 2008 02:23:34 pm
      If they're fit then they're fit enough to play. In a game of such importantce I don't think you need to be 100% just fit enough to play. With Marsielle, Stoke and Crewe after this, there's plenty of time to rest before the Everton game. See us through tomorrow (hopefully without a serious injury)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #153: Sep 12, 2008 02:31:35 pm
      If they're fit then they're fit enough to play. In a game of such importantce I don't think you need to be 100% just fit enough to play. With Marsielle, Stoke and Crewe after this, there's plenty of time to rest before the Everton game. See us through tomorrow (hopefully without a serious injury)

If we were talking about simple tiredness I'd agree - the importance of the match would make the difference.

I'd just hate to see Torres or Gerrard limping off again after 30 minutes, maybe being out for longer this time.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #154: Sep 12, 2008 02:51:15 pm
      problem with that ayrton, is they could get injured in any single game. So because they've been passed fit I think they must play.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #155: Sep 12, 2008 02:54:08 pm
      problem with that ayrton, is they could get injured in any single game. So because they've been passed fit I think they must play.

True, but they're not going to be returning from injury every single game are they?

Let's wait and see what the starting line-up is tomorrow! ;)
      Mario91
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #156: Sep 12, 2008 04:24:20 pm
      Who do u think will start on the left wing - Babel, Benayoun or Riera ?
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #157: Sep 12, 2008 04:59:14 pm
      Interview with Rafa about the game, from .tv

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N161271080912-1629.htm

Journalist: These are always massive games against United. You must have your own theories on why you've not been able to beat them in the League...

I think that we were really close. For me, we played better than them in the last two games at home. We were so close but sometimes it is the quality of just one player or one mistake that makes the difference.

Journalist: Is there now a mental barrier that the players have to cross against United as well?

I don't think so because when you play against a team you have beaten in the Cup, it means that you can also win in the League. It is just one game. If we play at our level, we can beat them.

Journalist: All your players will want to win this one, but is the passion of Gerrard and Carragher something which can be an additional motivating factor for everyone? For them it's probably a bit more of a personal game...

It could be, for them it is important but also for some players like Sami Hyypia or Pepe Reina so we have a lot of players who want to win every game. But especially this game because we are playing against a top side and the rivalry is bigger than when you play against other teams.

Journalist: Against the big teams, you have shown proof that there has been improvement. Last year there were four draws against Chelsea and Arsenal. Is United the one that you desperately now want to win?

We know that if we want to be real contenders, we have to win these games against the top sides. And we need to improve against the top sides, so we will try to do that.

Journalist: What is the secret of United's success? We know they have good players, but it's about more than that isn't it? Their work ethic is absolutely fantastic.

That is not a question for me, maybe it is for Manchester United.

Journalist: Yes but with Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov, they are very good offensively, but they are also one of the best counter-attacking teams in the business, aren't they?

Yes well when you have players like Ferdinand, Vidic and Brown, you see that they are really strong in defence and they are also really strong in midfield, so they can regain the ball. They can be a threat on the counter-attack too with the quality of their strikers.

Rafa on Keane
      I think Ferguson was surprised about Keane's price because he was cheap. They paid around £30m for Berbatov, Rooney or Ferdinand - or even £35m for Tevez. That is maybe where the surprise came from.
      Journalist: You've touched upon the very narrow margins in which you've been beaten in three times out of the last four at home, what can you do to address those things? The last two times you were beaten, the goals came from set-pieces...

Yes that was really bad luck. We lost the last one because of one or two mistakes from the same corner. We try to improve in these things, but it's difficult when you play against good players because you might concede from open play too. We need to improve as a team because we need to be stronger – mentally, physically technically and tactically. They are a very good team.

Journalist: Do you think mentally you haven't been 100 per cent for those games?

I don't want to say that. I want to say that we have to improve. Sometimes you are doing your best but the other team is good too and maybe the difference is just one player.

Journalist: Unbeaten so far this season, I know you haven't been pleased with levels of performance. If you can get a win against United it would give you huge lift, wouldn't it?

Yes, we are in a good position in the table. We know that we can play better so if we can start doing that tomorrow and win, we will be in the top of the table with a lot of confidence - that would be fantastic for the game against Marseilles.

Journalist: Some comments were made by Alex Ferguson about Robbie Keane and the price you paid for him - were they ill-timed?
      I think he was surprised about the price because he was cheap. They paid around £30m for Berbatov, Rooney or Ferdinand - or even £35m for Tevez. That is maybe where the surprise came from.

Journalist: In all seriousness, if you look at the size of the two squads that are on offer, there is still some catching up to do, isn't there?

As I said before, you want to win trophies and you have to do everything almost perfectly against teams like United. You know it will be tough, so you have to do things properly and maybe we will be in a better position than last year.

Journalist: Robbie Keane is yet to get a goal. We know what a good professional he is and what a good player he is. Do you think it's beginning to nag away at him that he hasn't got a goal just yet?

I don't like to talk too much about Robbie, because I think he is doing a good job for the team. As I said before, he is training well and he is a player with quality, so it is only a matter of time. I will not put him under pressure. If he can play well for the team, I would prefer he can give three assists rather than three goals.

Journalist: With his capabilities, do you get the feeling that once he gets his first goal for Liverpool, then others will follow?

Yes. Clearly he can score a lot of goals because he has quality and mentally he is strong enough.

Journalist: This club is all about rewriting history and, of course, this is one fixture you will want to do that with sooner or later.

Yes, clearly it is a massive game for us - and for them too. So I think if we can win this game then it will be a boost for the confidence of the players.

Journalist: You must hate the fact that this is one fixture you have never got to grips with?

We want to win every game, especially against the top sides. When you win a lot of games in the League, you have to also win these big games if you want to be a real contender.

Journalist: United got Berbatov on transfer deadline day, he's got bags of ability, hasn't he?
      Everybody knows he's a really good player, so it will be more difficult for us. But, OK, we have some experience playing against him, so we will try to do the right things.

Journalist: He's a difficult player to play against isn't he, because of his ability to drift into space?
      Yes, he has quality and has good movement, so it will be difficult. But we also have enough quality in defence.

Journalist: Can you give us your team news on Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres?

Both players are progressing really well, they will be in the squad. I think they can both play, the only thing to do now is decide.

Journalist: You never expected them to be back quite this quickly though, did you?

Yes, because I have confidence in the medical staff.

Journalist: Alex Ferguson has talked about overtaking Liverpool's record of league titles, do you feel personally responsible for stopping that from happening?

The only thing I can say clearly is that we hope to win tomorrow. If we win tomorrow, we will be in a better position and they will be in a worse position. We want to be near the top of the table and want to win.

Bit in Bold, love it!!! IMO he has made a mistake letting them know Nando and Gerrard will play, but thats his decision.
      Not going to try and predict the line-up, but everyone who is going tomorrow, sing your hearts out and make it the best atmosphere we have had for years!

Come on you Reds!!

Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #158: Sep 12, 2008 05:09:18 pm
      Cannot wait for this game, especially after that long and boring International break!!

I'm going for a confident 2-0 win to us, i mean we have to win some time soon against them!!

Come on you RED MEN!!!!!

:scarf: :clap:
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #159: Sep 12, 2008 06:49:18 pm
      I'm really excited and can't wait for the game.I have such a good feeling about this game.I'm going 3-0 to the reds. Robbie Keane hat-trick.
      chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #160: Sep 12, 2008 06:58:23 pm
      Now Gerrard and Torres are fit it just has to be

REINA

ARBELOA      SKRTEL     CARRAGHER     DOSSENA

KUYT     GERRARD     MASCHERANO     RIERA

KEANE      TORRES

Great team to start off with!!!!

Quick Reply