Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool V Man U

Read 30736 times
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Re: Liverpool V Man U
      Reply #23: Sep 02, 2008 03:39:13 pm
      Team I would play against Man Utd:

Reina

Carragher - Hyypia - Skrtel - Dossena

Mascherano - Alonso

Gerrard - Keane - Riera

Babel

Torres is expected to be out that's why Babel will be playing up front. Carra at Right Back because I wouldn't trust Arbeloa and Hyypia at Center Back because Agger isn't match fit.

Thoughts.  ;D
      « Last Edit: Sep 02, 2008 03:43:38 pm by Pepe Reina »
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #24: Sep 02, 2008 04:18:28 pm
      This of coarse is quite a hugh game, as someone said before the game is more about mentality of the team and winning this game is more about the fact it will install a belief and confidence in the players and supporters about pushing for a title. Also the fact I always one who thinks the difference with us vs Chelsea/ManU is that we get a poor result we usually end up dwelling on the fact which leads to a couple more poor results while the other two simply put it in behind them and go on a run of winning games.

I hope that Gerrard can play, he is the link from defense to attack and without him it is going to be hard to break down United.

My line-up with Gerrard

- - - - - - - - - - - - - Pepe- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Arboloa - - - - Carra- - - -Skrtel- - - - - Dossena
      - - - - - - - - -Alonso- - -  - -Javi - - - -- - - - - - -
      Kuyt- - - - - - - - - -Gerrard- - - - - - - - - - Babel
      - - - - - - - - - - - - -Keane - - - - - - - - - - -  - - -

My line-up without Gerrard

- - - - - - - - - - - - Pepe  - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Arboloa - - - - Carra - - - - Skrtel - - -Dossena
      Kuyt - - - - - - Alonso - - -Javi- - - - - Aurelio
      - - - - - - - - - - Keane - - - Babel - - - - - - - -
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Reply #25: Sep 02, 2008 05:04:58 pm
      I'd be very surprised if Gerrard was playing. 

^^ adammac - I'd go with your system but I would have Kuyt up front with Keane, Babel on the right and Riera on the left.

Riera did of course make his Premiership debut for Man City in a 3-1 win over Man Utd.
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #26: Sep 02, 2008 05:33:01 pm
      ---------------reina----------------
      carra--skrtel---agger--dossena
      --------masch---alonso----------
      kuyt-------gerrard------riera---
      -------------keane-------------

i have faith gerrard will be back
      berabtov will break his leg
      tevez will break his arm
      rooney will get malaria
      ronaldo will cry
      fergie retires in disgust
      liverpool- 10-0 man u

i live in hope
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #27: Sep 02, 2008 05:50:22 pm
      As much as I love Carra he can't do the required wing-back job on the right that is required, not for 90mins anyway...

I don't think Torres will play... but StevieG will probably make it back in time...

---------------Reina----------------
      Arbeloa--Skrtel---Carra--Doss
      --------Masch---Alonso----------
      Penn-------Gerrard------Riera--
      -------------  Babel-----------------

If Gerrard is also out slot Keane in there.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,637 posts | 130 
      Reply #28: Sep 02, 2008 05:51:32 pm
      ---------------reina----------------
      carra--skrtel---agger--dossena
      --------masch---alonso----------
      kuyt-------gerrard------riera---
      -------------keane-------------

I have faith gerrard will be back
      berabtov will break his leg
      tevez will break his arm
      rooney will get malaria
      ronaldo will cry
      fergie retires in disgust
      liverpool- 10-0 man u

I live in hope

Think tevez would carry on with a broken arm :-D BTW without Torres against this United team, it will be a massive challanges for us. But Reina in this form is a great chance to win this game ;-)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,255 posts | 2821 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #29: Sep 02, 2008 06:00:34 pm
      My mates who follow utd have been telling me that they have been very average without Ronaldo so we should go at them f**k holding back even without Nando and maybe Stevie as a victory would give us a nice gap over them

I can see Rooney playing left midfield for them so id move Carra to right back

REINA

CARRA SKRTEL AGGER DOSSENA

MASCH  ALONSO

BABEL                       RIERA

KEANE    KUYT

Distinct lack of passion I feel in recent games with these and by that I mean when I see the players in the tunnell I expect to see fired up faces charging out that tunnel wanting to steamroll the mancs and first 60/40 tackle in ther favour go and win it and not just Masch. Were too fu**in nice to them show them no respect at all so what if theyre current European and English champions were the ones with the Liverbird on the chest we are the number 1 club and if we lie down and let them beat us we will regret it because they could go on to equal our title record hall

RAFA GO AND KNOCK FERGIE OFF HIS F**KING PERCH
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,255 posts | 2821 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #30: Sep 02, 2008 06:07:30 pm

Reina--------------------
      Carra --- Skrtel --- Agger --- Dossena
      -----------Mash --- Alonso
      Babel -------------------------- Riera
      -----------Kuyt-------Keane

I picked the exact 11 and formation great minds eh   :D All joking aside I truly believe its the right way to start against them
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #31: Sep 02, 2008 06:16:42 pm
      I guess the thread has moved from a comparison of the two clubs to a pre-match thread. Against Man U, we have always fallen for the psychological games of Ferguson (as in Ferguson vs Torres - Anfield) or the 12th Man (Man U vs Liverpool - OT). We need to combine outplaying them with actually scoring.

The best 11

Reina

Arbeloa   Carragher   Skrtel   Dossena

Mascherano   Plessis

Babel      Alonso      Riera

Keane

SUBS: Ngog, Benanyun, Agger, Aurelio, Cavilieri

We can get past them. But knowing Rafa Benitez, he would have Babel on the bench and start with Kuyt.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #32: Sep 03, 2008 11:48:03 pm
      With Agger not fit, i'm concerned with Sammy's pace at the back. Dossena hasn't settled as well as he will. Needs a bit more time. Riera on the left could come up with a few surprises. Torres out and Stevie a long shot and not fully fit. Going to be a tough one. If we get anything out of this one on our current form it will be a bonus. We will also still be in touch which will be a big phsycological boost so fingers crossed. I wont make a prediction in case i put the kiss of death on it.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #33: Sep 04, 2008 12:02:01 am
      i predict we will win 3-1... robbie keane to get 2 goals.

the law of averages say that we will win this one

man u are a good team but i dont really rate them much this season having watched them twice.....they were laboured and even got beat once

time is up.....mighty reds for a convincing victory with robbie keane actually turning up and making his real debut.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #34: Sep 04, 2008 12:05:20 am
      I predict we will win 3-1... robbie keane to get 2 goals.

the law of averages say that we will win this one

man u are a good team but I dont really rate them much this season having watched them twice.....they were laboured and even got beat once

time is up.....mighty reds for a convincing victory with robbie keane actually turning up and making his real debut.

I'm not thinking about law of averages. I'm thinking about the fact that we're playing sh*te! :D

Which will probably end with us winning 3-0! :D I shouldn't be optimistic but I can't get the feeling out of my head that we're going to win this one! :D
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #35: Sep 04, 2008 12:14:58 am
      I've predicted 2-1, I hope for a clean-sheet though. The Mancs aren't playing well, a bit like us at the mo'. Oh well, two off-form teams clash, who wins? Simple, the one with the most luck.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #36: Sep 04, 2008 12:17:36 am
      Manure haven't looked like they've hit top for yet but have definitely played much better than us of late.. On form, they win hands down but I've got a feeling we're gonna do the bizniz...
      Madzz Adzz
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts |
      Reply #37: Sep 04, 2008 12:33:56 am
      I canot see manure scoring in this match, but sayin that I crnt see us scoring tho. I say it will be a 0-0 draw with a big improvment in our game.
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #38: Sep 04, 2008 03:41:03 am
      -------------Babel-------------Keane---------
      Reira--------------Gerrard--------------Kuyt
      ---------------------Masch---------------------
      Dossena----Skittles----Carra----Arbeloa
      -----------------------Reina-------------------

You wanna win? That's the team you play. Simple as that, but it's too attack minded for rafa so it wont happen. Prolly see Reira at Right back no doubt. Yes Rafa is really frustrating me with his team and subs.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #39: Sep 04, 2008 03:58:12 am
      I am not a fan of predicting big scorelines like somebody above said 3-0 wtf!! Get real based on what other than fan biased can someone come up with such a scoreline when we have played sh*t. I would settle for a draw again would love a win but based on current performace we will need a small miracle for a win.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #40: Sep 04, 2008 05:33:01 am
      theres no reason why we cant win this. If Gerrard's fit then I'd go for 4-2-3-1;

----------------Reina-------------------

-carra--Skrtel--Agger--Dossena-

-------Masch------Alonso------------

----Babel----Gerrard-----Riera----

---------------Keane-----------------

If Gerrard isn't fit I think Babel Should go up front in a 4-4-2 with Keane. Babel would definitely score at some stage.

--Kuyt--Masch--Alonso--Riera---

--------Keane------Babel-----------

We need to take advantage of the fact they don't have Ronaldo and Rooney's playing sh*t, they will be taking advantage of the fact Gerrard might not be there and we wont have Torres.

Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #41: Sep 04, 2008 07:27:15 am
      Okay mate:

Rooney on his day is a 10 - I'm sure Alex Ferguson would like to have an arguement with you on that.  So you're wrong on him.

My arguement is - you cannot compare Liverpool and the Mancs on the individual matches.  You have to look at the overall picture - they keep winning and winning. 

Right mentality!  Yes, but it's more about the quality on the pitch, which we've been lacking.  Next season, we will see if we are nearer.  But on the facts (past) - we cannot be compared mate!

I got criticised not long ago for claiming that Wayne Rooney is over rated... That's not a biased view, but an honest one.  When he was at Everton he had a rawness about him... Nothing seemed to phase him and he was direct, dangerous, and would try anything (and i'm not talking about s*aggin OAP's)... He carried that side of his game into the the European Championship... But since he's been at Man Utd, slowly but surely an edge has been taken off his game in my opinion and that's because Ferguson has turned him into more of a team player, which may not seem like a bad thing, especially when you've got a player like Ronaldo in the side.
      I do rate Rooney, and obviously he is an excellent player, but i think that he get's over rated by some, and let's face it, he hasn't really performed to a world class level for England for some time, yet i feel it's highlighted more when the likes of Gerrard and Lampard aren't performing well for their country.
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #42: Sep 04, 2008 10:09:34 am
      Thing with Rafa is despite this being a home game against a weakened united team he will still set out a defensive team with no emphasis on attack. Just you watch
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #43: Sep 04, 2008 10:23:31 am
      We must go for it especially at Anfield. At OT I could understand Rafa playing a more negative formation but even with Torres and maybe Gerrard out we have to take the game to them....their best player missing too.

I would go with.......

Reina

Carra Agger Skrtel Aurellio

Babel    Xavi    JM     Reira

Kuyt Keane

but more likely be

Reina

Arbeloa  Carra Skrtel  Dossena

Jossi        Xavi  JM      Babel

Kuyt Keane
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #44: Sep 04, 2008 12:00:22 pm
      theres no reason why we cant win this. If Gerrard's fit then I'd go for 4-2-3-1;

-------Masch------Alonso------------

----Babel----Gerrard-----Riera----

---------------Keane-----------------

If Gerrard isn't fit I think Babel Should go up front in a 4-4-2 with Keane. Babel would definitely score at some stage.

--Kuyt--Masch--Alonso--Riera---

--------Keane------Babel-----------

We need to take advantage of the fact they don't have Ronaldo and Rooney's playing sh*t, they will be taking advantage of the fact Gerrard might not be there and we wont have Torres.

100% agree with u mate. That line up with stevie is ideal and i would be confident of a win on the other hand without stevie doesnt look so bad but rafa will never put babel up front unless he suprises us all. Dont rule out El Nino just yet.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #45: Sep 04, 2008 12:23:26 pm
      My team if Torres is fit:

Reina

Arbeloa         Carragher         Skrtel           Dossena

Mascherano

Pennant           Gerrard             Babel

Keane            Torres

If not then put Babel where Nando is and try Riera.

I wish we had another RB here, it just frightens me to think that Nani/Anderson or Giggs will be running at Arby when he is in sh*te form but we need Carra in the middle. Catch 22 i suppose, either weaker in the centre and stronger on the right or strong in the centre and risk having their winger just getting past him. In saying that, his best showings for us have been in the big games ala Messi etc. so i'm praying so hard for him to realise what tackling is and how to mark.

I think Masch will be on a mission and fully focused in this game. He is a determined lad, he hates to let the club down and you could tell he regretted every bit in the last game. He'll play a blinder IMO.

Stevie, he will play if 80% fit.

Dont forget too, they have Rooney, Tevez and Berba to choose from up front and maybe even play all 3 from the get go so we have to take our chances otherwise one loose ball/player in the box and it will be over.

No nonsense, one touch passing and just getting forward when we can. I've included Pennant because he just gets it and goes. He plays his best footy cutting in and playing part in goals so i think he'd do really well there.

Riera, what a way to show us what he has, rip up the Manc bas**rds. Hopefully this long break will help him settle in to the club and have a few training sessions with the boys and he'll be right for this game.

This is Dossena's moment of truth. They will have pace on that right no matter who they play. He has looked abit off when one on one but this is the game which will show alot of his character and whether he will make it.

I want to say we will win and if you want to play Scum then its early in the season where they go through their usual bad form. I dont want us to be the side to play them in to form so we have to be focussed and just try and win rather than let them attack against us.

I'll say 1-1 but it'll be a good 1-1.

Quick Reply