Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Fans protest against Thomas Cook - new LFC partner

Read 5326 times
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Fans protest against Thomas Cook - new LFC partner
      Aug 12, 2008 10:12:38 pm
      From the Echo

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/08/12/kids-cry-foul-over-liverpool-fc-tickets-deal-100252-21515908/

CHILDREN joined a protest outside Liverpool FC claiming the club was taking tickets away from young fans.

Members of the Spirit of Shankly Union (SOS) have hit out at the unveiling of Thomas Cook as the Reds’ official travel partner.

They are unhappy with a new initiative that offers supporters the opportunity to buy tickets for every Anfield Premiership game as part of a package with a hotel.

Depending on the opponents, customers can buy bronze, silver or gold deals, ranging from £96-£165.

But the SOS fans’ group believe the policy takes more tickets away from Liverpool’s loyal community fan base, and said the move was designed to appeal to the Reds’ “day-tripper” supporters.

Children gathered in the shadow of the stadium in Walton Breck Road in a staged display to show the increasing difficulty of buying match tickets.

Some opponents of the scheme say some of the hotels are not even in Merseyside, with some based in Manchester.

SOS spokesman Kevin Sampson told the ECHO: “With schemes like the Thomas Cook packages, it is taking more tickets away from local fans.

“Will the youngsters ever be able to see their children play at Anfield?

“The club should also make it a priority to make tickets available exclusively for under-16s – there used to be a boy’s pen at the ground.

“The tragedy is that all the boys can do now is try to get autographs of the players at Melwood.”

Today, Liverpool FC said they would soon publicly unveil Thomas Cook as their official travel partner.

A club spokesman stressed that the home game package deal was not reducing the overall ticket allocation for normal match fans.

He added: “Thomas Cook will soon be announced as a significant partner, which will work like major sponsorship.

“As part of that, they get a hold of tickets which they will utilise.”

Packages for the home games against Manchester United, Everton, Chelsea and Tottenham have already sold out, showing demand is fairly high.

luketraynor@liverpoolecho.co.uk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This certainly doesn't help the cause giving tickets to travel agents , these kids are the future of the club, its bad enough that you cant get adult / child tickets on line so end up paying full price for the kids I fully support more tickets going to local under 16's at a sensible price
      « Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008 04:47:37 pm by JD »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Fans protest against Thomas Cook - new LFC partner
      Reply #1: Aug 13, 2008 11:57:46 pm
      Ive said it before as a non local its a fu**ing disgrace the club dont aim at local kids, the future fanbase, instead would rather give tickets to Thomas Cook to sell to people who want a weekend city break and will take in Anfield while there away. A fu**ing sin
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #2: Aug 14, 2008 12:52:14 am
      These packages are a great for people like myself who find it very hard to get a ticket. I do think that people from Liverpool should get priority on tickets though. I've only been to Anfield twice as I feel that there are other fans out there who deserve a ticket more than myself. One guy very kindly sold me his Kop ticket when he discovered that he couldn't go. I can't thank that bloke enough. I feel very priviledged to have stood on the Kop and I  wouldn't want to take tickets from other people.
      IrishP
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #3: Sep 17, 2008 12:47:56 pm
      A licence to steal if Celtic's 'partnership' with them is anything to go by. Also another step to make independent travel more difficult for the fan.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #4: Sep 17, 2008 01:29:31 pm
      This type of sh*t really makes me lose faith in the club. They dont give a sh*t about the local fans anymore. The people who built this club to what it is and the true lifeblood of the club are jibbed off for bellend daytrippers who support us cause we are a successful side.

I actually feel ashamed that the club have done this and i will no doubt get abuse about it by the gobs***e everton fans.... but hey at least they can go an F***ing watch there team.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #5: Sep 17, 2008 01:52:02 pm
      A licence to steal if Celtic's 'partnership' with them is anything to go by. Also another step to make independent travel more difficult for the fan.

Agree. 

I am independently travelling to Atletico Madrid.  To get just a ticket off the club I need to have 5 away European games last season.

But if I want to pay around £280 for a one day there and back travel package with Thomas Cook including my ticket I just need a fancard.

Robbing bas**rds.  Another nail in the coffin of representing us as a supporters club and a money making exercise by Thomas Cook.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #6: Sep 26, 2008 08:17:01 pm
      As an OOT, I saw this the other day and thought great a better chance to get tickets, but now that I've seen this article I fully understand that it is totally unfair on local supporters.

Football is truly going very global these days and with schemes like these we have no hope of ressurecting a great Anfield atmosphere.

I fully support any protest against this, it's a F***ing disgrace, i feel for the real hardcore local fans that this will piss about and i say this even as an OOT (Who it will benefit!)
      « Last Edit: Sep 26, 2008 08:20:50 pm by T-Unit-LFC »
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #7: Sep 26, 2008 08:38:07 pm

Agree with all of the above. I now live in the North East and never get to Anfield anymore.
      But it's the youngsters
      that are the future fanbase of the club, and if they are priced out of it, the club is F***ed in the long run
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #8: Oct 10, 2008 01:16:33 pm
      http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/Follow-up-meeting-with-Rick-Parry.html

(RP - Rick Parry, BM - Bryce Morrison[Club Secretary])

2. Thomas Cook.

* Numerous complaints over pricing of trips   

* Thomas Cook warning travel agents from doing business with S.O.S.

* Discrimination against disabled supporters wishing to travel to Madrid.   

* Effects of their 'home game packages' on local hotels and other local businesses.

BM and RP aware of the disabled issue and BM is to contact Thomas Cook expressing the club's concern over the possibility illegality of any discrimination and will try and resolve the issue. The Thomas Cook deal was a deal done by the club's commercial department, outside of the scope of the normal day-to-day operations run out of Anfield. It is a 3 year deal.  Under the deal, Thomas Cook are entitled to 50% of Euro away tickets, as of yet they have not taken up this amount. We expressed our concern as to what would happen should the club reach next year's final.  We reminded the club of the FA & England getting rid of Thomas Cook as official travel supplier, due to their alleged incompetence. RP said he was aware of this and had spoken to other clubs who were involved with TC before we signed the deal; all clubs he spoke to had raised doubts about TC. At the moment Thomas Cook are asking for 500 tickets for each away European tie. The club are insisting that all tickets sold are only to those who meet the loyalty criteria, and it will be the club, not Thomas Cook, who deal with things like 'proof of travel' and 'proof of loyalty' etc. RP was made aware of the effect on local businesses in Liverpool of Thomas Cook's use of hotels outside of the city, and their preference to only organising short (1 night) stays. RP & BM also said TC are given no tickets for domestic away games, when questioned about why away tickets are selling out at such high credits. The club said this is definitely nothing to do with TC. When told that there are many people who were easily getting the tickets in past years and are now struggling for them, BM suggested it may be that in past years the people with higher credits may not have taken up the option on these particular tickets, whereas they now are. BM will investigate and SOS will chase this up with him.

Still think it's shocking that Thomas Cook can take up to 50% of our away tickets and then flog them with a flight for £280.  I'd imagine Ian Ayre at the Commercial department is behind this (Tom Hicks crony). 

Well and truly shafted the fans.  Just not good enough.  Not good enough at all.

Quick Reply