Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Losing to Standard Liege?

Read 2697 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Losing to Standard Liege?
      Aug 14, 2008 05:32:04 pm
      Clearly I don't want to see us face the humiliation of getting knocked out of the Champions League early doors.

However if we were to crash out then the loss in finances would be catastrophic for two men, Hicks and Gillett, who not only need to repay interest on loans but also take out new loans later this year.

I think they're hanging on by the skin of their teeth, everyone knows we want them out, and it could be argued that those two have more to lose than anyone when we play Standard again in a fortnight.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Losing to Standard Liege?
      Reply #1: Aug 14, 2008 05:59:31 pm
      But they would still get some money from the uefa cup, I know its alot less than the champion league but the yanks would be happy with that as they seem intent on hanging on in there. Maybe it would take crashing out of europe altogether :-\
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #2: Aug 14, 2008 06:40:03 pm
      However much I want the Yanks out, I can't hope for us to get knocked out of Europe.

I do seriously hope they're shitting themselves right now though, makes the situation slighty less unbearable.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #3: Aug 14, 2008 06:43:20 pm
      If we went out, every single Rangers fan that I mocked would just turn round and give it right back to me :(
      But, I cant see us losing to them at Anfield, cmon you Redmen!
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #4: Aug 14, 2008 07:55:46 pm
      Clearly I don't want to see us face the humiliation of getting knocked out of the Champions League early doors.

However if we were to crash out then the loss in finances would be catastrophic for two men, Hicks and Gillett, who not only need to repay interest on loans but also take out new loans later this year.

I think they're hanging on by the skin of their teeth, everyone knows we want them out, and it could be argued that those two have more to lose than anyone when we play Standard again in a fortnight.

Something similar to that I read on Belgium forum of the journal "Le soir". But those were the words of Belgium fans. Because for them Liverpool are something divine and they were ready to lose in advance and gave different opinions about the score. People who believe les Rouches can do something were taken like crazy.
      I was amazed by one story about children who have difficulties in counting were invited to the match. It was said that was for helping them to learn to count all the goals in the Standard net by Liverpool!
       As I read in our press, Standard were not standard.
      Now we helped them to be proud of them. We are very kind people!Next time hope to see very Liverpool!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #5: Aug 14, 2008 10:07:12 pm
      Exactly what I've been thinking all day,it may be sickening in the short term but when you look at the overall picture it may not be to bad the only trouble with this train of thought is that their are too many things that have to work to see the back of Hicks like getting knocked out early in all compactions, like being out of a shout for the title by October and then he would have very little going for him in terms of generating any cash. I am not so sure we will win against Standard as I see them getting at least a draw and they even have a shout for a win and it wouldn't surprise me at all. We shall know more after the next two games in the Prem and if we struggle in those anything can happen, we are always slow out the blocks most years and lets be honest we have had scrapes at this round on more than one occasion under Rafa. What we need and like right now is to get our players back from the Olympics and we shall either have Babel or Mascha back by the Standard game and once our players are back and if we haven't dropped many points then we will be able to judge us and not before although if you listen to the expert's we are already big underdogs for the title and all I hope is I wake up and Rafa pulls the whole thing around because that performance has me really worried and things like this can be a shock that's hard to shake off and it has to be the most inept I have witnessed sinse Houllier team's in his last year......
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #6: Aug 14, 2008 10:33:52 pm
      Losing to in the qualfiers would be the worst thing that could happen to this club in my personal opinion.

1) we still go into the UEFA which still generates money and with us being possibly the best team in the UEFA we're likely (on paper) to reach the semis at least.
      2) the UEFA Cup has a knock on affect which would force us to play a fair share of games on Sundays with the knowledge of Saturday's results...adding pressure that we have to win or knowing we can extend the gap between ourselves and the rest of the league. That added pressure can force some players to crumble.
      3) playing in the UEFA will stop players wanting to join. Take Silva for example (I know he's said he doesn't wanna move but just for this I'll use him) come January he won't be cup tied for Europe...Liverpool and Chelsea are after him...Chelsea can offer him Champions League football whereas all we can offer is UEFA Cup. It's a no brainer.
      4) We're already skint so we're gonna need to progress as far as possible in every single competition, particuarly the Champions League which provides massive amounts of money in terms of prizes but also the television rights, sponsorship deals and match revenue. Sky and Granda can offer more money than Chanel 5. Potentional investors would rather be involved with a Champions League side than UEFA. And in terms of revenue you'll get more money from the Nou Camp than Villa Park.

I don't think exiting this early from the Champions League is likely to see Hicks/Gillett piss off because they're looking to make as much money out of this club as possible. So poncin around in the UEFA isn't earnin the club as much so it's more likely to keep them here for at least another year.
      XABI ALONSO 14
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts | -1 
      Reply #7: Aug 14, 2008 10:48:54 pm
      Last nite proved dat we need wingers.El zhar is not a bad player bt we need cover if babel is out.I still believe dat we will beat them.We will ave either mascherano or babel back soon cause there playn each other in quaters
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #8: Aug 14, 2008 11:07:07 pm
      I reckon the second leg is calling out for a certain Mr Gerrard to inspire us once again.  I really can't see a repeat of the first leg, especially at Anfield with the crowd behind the lads.

But if the dreaded knockout did happen(God forbid) then I reckon Hicks and Gillett are stubborn enough bas**rds to stick around and drag the club down into even more debt  >:(

I for one would rather see Champions League qualification and them stick around(for a while anyway) than waiting to see the financial ramifications of not qualifying.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #9: Aug 15, 2008 12:07:50 am
      cant see us losing   BUT, if standard score a goal we could be in trouble,,,,, especially if we take a laclustre approach to them as we did yesterday........if worse comes to worse and we lose ............at leaste we are GUARANTEED a trophy next season in the uefa cup... its better than nothing, although probably a quarter final place in the CL is far more lucrative and memorable.

lets hope we can get up to 2-0 in the first half then just take control, it will be a great atmosphere at anfield because this really is a Winner takes all match so early in the season....the atmosphere will be electric, (no where else will this be....says yoda),

and we probably have the most exciting match to look forward to until christmas and the league properly kicks in

come on red men.....time to be counted,............. im sure stevie and torres will see us through, and hopefully keane will get off the blocks with a good performance as he was a little overly expensive imho
      RedArmy96
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 96 posts | -1 
      • What we achieve in life, Echoes in eternity
      Reply #10: Aug 15, 2008 12:19:08 am
      I am completely againgst the yanks, but feel it would be a disaster if we failed to qualify!

I cant see us losing, but last nights performance needs to be drasticaly improved, or we may be in trouble. But with the Anfield crowd behind us, i can see us winning fairly comfortably
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Aug 15, 2008 06:19:21 am
      It wont be enough. UEFA cup brings in money for them anyways.

What no one has stated is that if we were to lose, wouldnt it put more pressure on Rafa and give them another excuse to boot him out? We have to learn to cope with them until they die or somehow 'accidently have a bullet in their heads'.

Also, if we lose that valuable money from CL and tv then our loans will be paid by player sales or cutting Rafa's kitty to spend. We cant afford to lose money now, we are barely hanging onto a top 4 spot and should we not improve our side, we could possibly drift back into the pack.

Its a lose/lose/lose should we go out to Liege. We lose money, we still have the Yanks and Rafa's job is in jeopardy.
      Evilone
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts | -1 
      Reply #12: Aug 15, 2008 12:33:32 pm
      we will winn they can not winn aginst us on Anfield, and thanks to Livverpool played 0-0 aginst thsi belgium team i have lost 50 kr :( i hade 4 games and 3 was right then livverpool who was the most safest game when to hell :(
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #13: Aug 15, 2008 12:45:49 pm
      I don't like this thread. Fair enough we were shockingly bad the other night but for god's sake we are not going out of the champions league. Dose anyone honestly believe we will be as bad at Anfield? We were lucky not to be going into the second leg with a deficit to overturn but even then I would still expect Liverpool to turn things round and dispose of this side. Standard did look a good team but we made them look good and to be fair I will be very shocked if we perform as bad all season long.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Reply #14: Aug 15, 2008 01:13:10 pm
      I didn't start this topic about the 'will we won't we' perform on the pitch.

I was asking whether going out of the Champions League would have an impact on the future direction and ownership of our club.

If we went out of the Champions League this early would it not force a financial predicament upon the owners who are looking to secure more lending during the course of this season?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,264 posts | 2825 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: Aug 15, 2008 01:17:20 pm

I was asking whether going out of the Champions League would have an impact on the future direction and ownership of our club.

If we went out of the Champions League this early would it not force a financial predicament upon the owners who are looking to secure more lending during the course of this season?

If we got knocked out before the group stages would that change the mind of potential buyers to go ahead with a deal? That would be my big fear as the yanks wont sell for a dollar less then they paid.

On a football point of view if we were knocked out would it leave us better placed to go for the league? Either way I never want to see us lose and cant see Liege doing what they need to
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #16: Aug 15, 2008 01:24:20 pm

I want the Yanks out as much as anyone and I think an early exit from the champions league might well do it.

I don't wish it though.  It's too higher price to pay.  I don't think they will be able to raise the money for the new stadium anyway so their demise will come if not sooner then later.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #17: Aug 15, 2008 11:24:31 pm
      Losing to Liege,doesn't even bare thinking about..Yanks or no yanks,a trophy is a trophy..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #18: Aug 16, 2008 03:45:33 pm
      if we lose to liege i think i will actually cry
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #19: Aug 16, 2008 04:36:56 pm
      if we lose to liege i think i will actually cry

I'll be absolutely gob-smacked if we loose.
      Let's just think positvely though!
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #20: Aug 17, 2008 06:00:36 pm
      I don't think we will play that bad again and I certainly don't think that with 45,000 Kopites shouting at them that Leige will be anything like the team that played us last week.

Quick Reply