Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Sunderland V Liverpool (Premiership is back)

Read 27647 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Sunderland V Liverpool (Premiership is back)
      Reply #253: Aug 16, 2008 07:53:51 pm

And mine    ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #254: Aug 16, 2008 08:03:04 pm
      was the captain for me but i changed it to stevie this morning :(
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #255: Aug 16, 2008 08:05:31 pm
      was the captain for me but I changed it to stevie this morning :(

You'll get more points if your captain scores, and the chances are that Nando's gonna bag more goals than Gerrard this season  ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #256: Aug 16, 2008 08:06:33 pm
      You'll get more points if your captain scores, and the chances are that Nando's gonna bag more goals than Gerrard this season  ;)

i know but i was hoping it would be more than 1-0 and that gerrard would most likely be the one who provides the assists
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #257: Aug 16, 2008 08:14:05 pm
      Torres obviously works better alone. Rafa should look into ordering Keane to leave Torres more space. Bring back the 4-2-3-1!
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #258: Aug 16, 2008 08:16:45 pm

I think he's most of ours.

Great stuff from the wonder boy, he really is the difference between a mediocre depressing nil nil draw, the kind we've stumbled through oh so many times over the past few years, and three points in the bag on a hard days work. Rest of the boys were dissappointing and promising in equal measure, though particular mentions goes to Arbeloa for being awful. Didn't provide anything going forward and was a constant weakness at the back. Let's hope Degen is an improvement. Alonso, as I've said so so so many times, influenced the team immensely in the second half, and was one of our best players out there. Kuyt was industrious again but needed to be more decisive and use the ball better when he got it, which he did... Alot... Keane was slightly dissappointing, perhaps needs to stop trying these little one touch passes with his back to goal so much. Mix up the play a little, and there will be an improvement.

Anyway, tough game, but it's a good sign that we can play poorly and still pick up 3 points and the win.

Oh, and I agree with Joe above. Torres works a lot better when he hasn't got another striker dragging defenders towards him. He's not the right player for all this little one touch tap and go passing in and around the box. Bring back the 4-2-3-1 and stick Keane on the wing in place of Kuyt.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #259: Aug 16, 2008 08:26:03 pm
      Torres obviously works better alone. Rafa should look into ordering Keane to leave Torres more space. Bring back the 4-2-3-1!

This is the reason i didnt think Keane should be bought. But as i said im giving him my full backing to succeed. I think his first goal will be very good for both him and us as it will give him confidence to go on and score more.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #260: Aug 16, 2008 08:26:47 pm
      popool
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #261: Aug 16, 2008 08:37:42 pm
       :mad: Here we go again!
      a selection policy to prove a point regarding our strength in depth is very worrying. Replace Keane with El Zhar? If the man has " game intelligence" tell him where we want him to play, not give a 20 mill signing the ignimony of being replace by a reserve team sub.
      Have nothing but praise for the two forwards getting in each others way from the keepers great save but spill after a deflection. The point being that even if they were telepathic, there is no way you would want either of your front two not reacting to that.
      Xabi made a big difference in the game, and Dossena look better than he has, so that was O.K.
      My big worry was our reluctence to go after a mediocre side from the first whistle. I know people believe we are only a couple of wins against our rivals away from the title, but Charlton away will live long in my memory.
      Until we have a disdain for our hosts tactics away from home and just go for them, we will have to rely, like today on pinching victorys.
      We can't do that no more, we have to believe that we are far and away better, because everyone below the top four honestly expects to get beat at home by them, exept when they play us. We are a potential scalp at every away groung again this season, mostly because we are negative.
      Honest question in the Ale House today watching was why get rid of Crouchy and still punt the ball up, i have no answer, and you have to say it is negative.
      From the same tactic, the conclusion can be drawn that we have no cohesion as a TEAM, and that the defensive, midfield and strike force act either independently of each other in training, or, have no confidence in each other. Very disturbing.
      The stats on Benayoun were impressive reading, but is anyone of the same opinion as me that he is too light-weight?
      If we continue to forge our offensive play right down the middle then we need his trickery, but today, and always away from home, i get exasperated by shouting GET IN.
      The number of times we shirked the tough stuff today was awful. The battles have to be won away first and foremost, then class will tell. Today, very few examples of our lads intimidating the opposition with some " we are Liverpool" were apparent, for God sake Gerrard s**t out of two tackles.
      Back to the positives, my just turned three year old son has just learned the Torres song, and jumps up and down to the "nar nar nar" bit.
      Thank you 'nando, what was very bad became a good day, and i am going to enjoy motd, with Dithering Davey worked over by Mr Ince.........GET IN
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #262: Aug 16, 2008 08:38:52 pm
      Tbh, it was not a great game, we were lucky to win really, but we took the chance we had and that was the difference really.
      Thank god for Nando!
      Hopefully we'll put a better performance in at Anfield next week.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #263: Aug 16, 2008 08:44:21 pm
      I think Keane should learn Spanish, so he understands  " Oi !!  thats mine "   :D :D
      TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #264: Aug 16, 2008 09:28:20 pm
      Apologies for my lateness on this thread... I did not see the game but I was wondering what your opinion was on Craig Gordon? As he is a Jambo like myself and Scotland's No1 just asking...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #265: Aug 16, 2008 09:32:48 pm
      Apologies for my lateness on this thread... I did not see the game but I was wondering what your opinion was on Craig Gordon? As he is a Jambo like myself and Scotland's No1 just asking...

To be completely honest.  He had very little to do.  Quick reaction to a potential own goal and a Torres snapshot rebound but apart from that not a lot of work.

Nearly got lobbed by Alonso from 70 yards out and couldn't have done much better to stop Fernando's goal.
      el nino9
      • Forum John Barnes

• 417 posts |
      Reply #266: Aug 16, 2008 09:33:15 pm
      Tell you what, the game changed when Xabi came on, quality passes were more frequent. Plessis provided cover for Stevie G to get foward and did quite well but Xabi did come in and make a difference.

Robbie Keane needs a little more time to settle, I'm sure that someone of his quality will start scoring and opening up defences soon.

Stevie G looked spritely today what's he gonna be like near 100% !!!

Water boy (Dossena)did better today aswell, just a bit concerned that he needs to be aware of overlapping providing there is cover or if there is no cover he better shift his ass back if he loses out.

For the first match of the season we did really well to snatch victory. A sign of a good side is to sometimes not play as well as you can but still get the 3 points. Fernando is the proof, not many chances but when he gets one even if it's outside the box with nothing on, he scores. We haven't done that in the past.

Key players are away at the games, first match of the season away to Sunderland who have strengthened their squad well I mean steed malbranque is no soft touch!!!I'm sure that once we get that rhythm going which started to form in the second half it is hard not to see us doing more damage to teams in the future and get wins where last year we only got draws.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #267: Aug 16, 2008 09:33:21 pm
      I think Keane should learn Spanish, so he understands  " Oi !!  thats mine "   :D :D

Actually I was very impressed by Torres' English post match.  Keane might find it easier to learn that language.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #268: Aug 16, 2008 10:29:10 pm
      Me, me dad, Alison, uncle Tony, cousins Mark and Mick listened to the match on City on with Aldo, just waitin for Match of the Day to start now. Would of watched the match but me dad's not bothering with sentanta this year. Prefer Aldo anyway!!!!

From what I heard Dossena excelled at being awful. Benayoun was pushed off the ball far too easily and I didn't think Kuyt was playin, didn't hear his name. Defenders pumped too many balls upto Keane and Torres in the first half. Carra gave Arbeloa a constant bollocking all game. Xabi changed the game and finally it was a screamer of a goal, very much like his goal against Boro at the Riverside.

I'll be able to have a better look on match of the day. Christ it's f***in good to have match of the day back ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #269: Aug 16, 2008 10:30:30 pm
      Me, me dad, Alison, uncle Tony, cousins Mark and Mick listened to the match on City on with Aldo

Sound.  Do you often have Aldo round at your house?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #270: Aug 16, 2008 10:36:55 pm
      Sound.  Do you often have Aldo round at your house?

All the time mate, he adores a cup of soup. Must of had at least 3 today.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #271: Aug 16, 2008 10:50:19 pm
      We very lucky to get all three points today.Sunderland had the better of the first half and we had poor finishing to thank that we wernt a goal down at half time.The second half began with the introduction of Alonso,he replaced the inexpierenced,ineffective Plessis, and  began to make Liverpool tick.He almost scored from his own half when his attempted lob just went wide of the post. Why he didn't start amazes me, even with a slight knock he was still Liverpool 's best player on the day. Is he still going to leave?

Benayoun had an ok second half  had a few shots , but tried to play the impossible pass on a few occasions where I feel he'd be better off shooting,same applies for Kuyt, should have shot on numerous occasions,as tireless as he works he simply is not a winger nor a striker and  should be sold, we won't win the title with him in the team -- there's no room for sentiment -- Why Rafa hasn't solved the problems on the wings, I don't know.

Arbeloa and Dossena were outdone the majoriy of the times by the likes of diouf and co,they offered very little going forward too.They weren't helped by a suprisingly shaky performance from Hyypia.A combination of superb covering by Carra and wastful Sunderland possesion ensured we kept a clean sheet.

Gerrard was quiet today by his own high standards, drifting in and out of the game, a few long range efforts and a few free-kicks and an odd tackle was all that he offered, he was very subdued IMO,but I'm sure he'll return to Superman status very shortly.

Keane and Torres had very little to go on, a snap shot from the edge of the box from Keane went harmlessly wide and an inadvertent block by him stopped Torres from grabbing the opener.But the Spaniard was not to be denied,with about ten minutes remaining,Alonso hit a pass,dummied by Gerrard, was gathered by Torres who quickly turned and hit an unerring shot into the bottom corner giving craig gordon no chance.This ensured that Liverpool left with all three points,though with a lot to be desired
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #272: Aug 16, 2008 10:57:43 pm
      The mark of champions is to grind out victories and win when you're not playin that well. We did just that and kept a clean sheet in the process. Can't grumble too much, a win is a win.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #273: Aug 16, 2008 11:11:39 pm
      The mark of champions is to grind out victories and win when you're not playin that well. We did just that and kept a clean sheet in the process. Can't grumble too much, a win is a win.

I agree with what you're saying,I was giving just my objective view. Now I put on my LFC cap and say they're the three points that crown us premiership champions in May.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #274: Aug 16, 2008 11:16:54 pm
      We're on Match of the Day now if anybody isn't watching!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #275: Aug 16, 2008 11:18:39 pm
      I'm watchin it Viking and they were boos for Diouf :D

Quick Reply