Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool FC - The Reserves Thread 08/09

Read 36221 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Jul 21, 2008 02:16:48 pm
      L'pool reserves lost to Peterborough 4-1 at London Road.

Side looked like this: Oldfield (Duyan 45), Kelly, Mackay-Steven, Kellerman (Huth 45), Antwi, Irwin, Crowther (Brouwer 45), Flynn, Lindfield, Eccleston (Poloskei 45), Bruna (Kacaniklic 68)

Bruna got our only goal.

Meanwhile the youth side won 5-1 against Bury goals from Pourie, Dalla Valle, Pepper and two from Amoo.

Full side: Robinson, Metcalf, O'Connor (Flanagan 75), Trialist, Kennedy, Roberts, Amoo, Kasami, Pourie (Dalle Valle 45), Pepper, Cooper (Ince 45, Clare 75)

Reserves next game is against Stockport on the 26th of July. Followed by two games in Scotland against Inverness CT and Hamilton before the league campaign starts on 2nd of September against Middlesborough. First three league games are away before the mini derby.

As for the youth side they've got two more friendlies both at home against Plymouth and Bradford.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #1: Jul 23, 2008 08:34:57 pm
      NEMETH SUFFERS HUNGARIAN HEARTACHE

Krisztian Nemeth, Andras Simon and Peter Gulacsi are on their way back to Merseyside after Hungary were beaten 1-0 by Italy in the semi-finals of the European U19 Championships. 
      Nemeth and Gulacsi, two of the standout performers in the tournament so far, played all 90 minutes on Wednesday afternoon as the Italians prevailed thanks to a Fernando Forestieri strike. Simon was not involved.

Italy will now play either Germany or hosts Czech Republic in this weekend's final. 

Sad that there out of the euro,s, but nice to see the lads back.

I hope we see Nemeth, in a few games now, will be nice to see how he goes on in the 1st team in the warm up games
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #2: Jul 23, 2008 10:39:02 pm
      It'll be interesting what Rafa does with some of our young players this season and with a lot of the kids starting games in Switzerland it's obvious that some are in and around the first 18 for this coming season, I see Nemeth, Patcheco, Plessis, Insua, Derby, Hobbs and the two out on loan although they wont figure this season there is every chance for the next one. I know all will not make it but if we get half of them through to be first team regulars it stands us in good nick for the next few years. 
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #3: Jul 24, 2008 04:22:43 am
      I think there will have to be a lot of players either loan out for the season, released or sold to other club because we have a lot of players on the books at Liverpool. Especially when you consider the players Rafa has bought into Liverpool (Vincent Lucas Weijl, Emmanuel Mendy, Nikola Saric and potentially Nogn) there has to be room made for these guys to play.

Gary always says that the players who have been training with Liverpool after a couple of years end up going on loan to make room for the new players bought or pushed up from the u-18. I will be looking forward to see what players do go out on loan and where to. You looks at Anderson who impressed in League 1 and is now on a club in the champions and even Antwi who went from League 2 with According Stanley to League 1 with Hartlepool so it would be nice to see him make a loan move to a championship side to continue to develop his skills and get experience at a higher level. Hammill who went from a great showing in the SPL to the championship and is back there again. I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Spearing, Darby, Huth or Insua get loan out but it is something I will be interested in seeing.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #4: Jul 29, 2008 01:57:43 am
      another draw for the reserves. Has Spearing not done enough in Switzerland to merit a place with the first team?

Liverpool Bouzanis (Hansen 45), Kelly, Huth, San Jose, Ayala (Eccleston 45), Spearing (Metcalf 83), Flynn, Bruna (Simon 56), Lindfield, Weijl (Kacaniklic 56), Brouwer (Amoo 77)

Unused Subs Nemeth

Goal Bruna (21)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stockport County Williams, Rose (McNulty 65), Owen, Pilkington (Green 83), Dicker (Blizzard 65), Thompson, Baker (McNeil 65), Rowe, Raynes, Turnbull, McSweeney (Vincent 77)

Unused Subs Astbury, Havern

Goal Raynes (62)

Youth side won 5-2 against Plymouth mind you with goals from Dalla Valle, Ince, Pepper, Pourie, Buchtmann. Dalla Valle looks a real prospect, certainly knows how to score goals although Amoo and Pepper have scored 3 goals each in pre-season. Overall we've scored 13 goals in our 3 pre-season games and only conceeded 3. Lookin like a good season ahead.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #5: Aug 04, 2008 03:22:40 pm
      STOPPER COMPLETES LOAN MOVE
      Jimmy Rice 04 August 2008 lfc.tv

Liverpool goalkeeper David Martin has joined League One side Leicester City on a six-month loan.
      The 22-year-old follows clubmate Jack Hobbs in making the temporary move to the Walkers Stadium.

"At my age, gaining first-team experience is of paramount importance and that's why I have come to Leicester," said Martin.

"I certainly want to make the most of my time here and hopefully Leicester will benefit from my arrival as well."

The Romford-born stopper, who has one England Under-20 cap to his name, has yet to make his competitive debut for Liverpool.

The Leicester move is his second loan since arriving at Anfield in January 2006 having made 10 appearances for Accrington Stanley last year.

It's good to have two lfc players in the same team & that they are both english.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #6: Aug 04, 2008 03:38:05 pm
      Ripped off of the official site forum..

-------------------------------
      Nemeth: "Thats how I made my debut in the Liverpool first team" (2008.07.31.)

I have many unbeliveable feelings now as we are heading back to Liverpool from Spain. We are heading back to the airport, but I can only think about the game agains Villareal. I'm incredibly happy, because I was waiting for this moment all of my life, to make my senior debut in one of the greatest teams in europe.

I have been with big stars for some days now, and It's quite a difference to how I lived my life . If someone would ask me about this, I would say I don't want to be such a star like Gerrard and Torres. People in Spain are mad about football players, this is not normal what they are doing to them. They were always there srceaming for autographs and trying to touch them. It's like in the movies. It's strange, because in England Torres and Gerrard for example can go to the streets, and nobody disturbs them, english people keep one's distance.

But let's start from the beginning. After thuesday's training Rafa Benitez announced his squad. While I was expecting that in my hearth, I was still very happy about getting the chance. And then came the first surprise, when guys in uniform came to the dressing room to examine my bags. I tought this was an initiation, but elder members of the team explained, that when the team goes abroad, we do not check in at the airport, because all of this work is made at Melwood. I simply could not belive this professionalism.

In spain the weather was great and the fans were excellent too. I shared my room with Yossi Benayoun, who is one of the best guys in the team, he is very straight and nice man, everybody likes him. He was great to me by helping and encouraging me.

I made some calculations, and we were 26 of us in spain. I tought I will not play and I only came here to get used to the life at the first team. But Rafa Benitez came to me and told, that I would come in at half time and I will be substituted by Torres later. He told me he wants to play the spanish players, but they can only play 20 minutes as they started training recently, and that's true for me too, because I was absent with the U19 national team.

I tried to do everything exactly as I used to, but I was a little bit nervous. Of course this feeling has gone as I stepped onto the pitch. There were moments when I think I should have been more calm as there were 3 situations I would do differently now.

Firstly I was in a good position to score, but Pacheco did not pass the ball, then I made the same mistake by not passing to him. And there was that shot that went away by centimeters. It would have been great to score on my debut.

Of course I am really happy and motivated, because this showed me where I can get and it gives me strenght to continue my work and I know exatly how hard I have to train and improve to get there.

---------------------------
      Nemeth: "It's a pitty that shot was saved." (2008.08.03.)

Life goes very fast for me nowdays. I'm on my way to Glasgow airport, and I'm fretting about not scoring my first goal at Liverpool senior team. Everybody told me to be happy with my performance, but I'm disappointed as that shot have not gone in. I don't know how the keeper could save that shot.

I was on the pitch for 1 or 2 minutes and Insua passed to me in the box, and I strucked that shot with my left foot. I saw it going in but that keeper made a fantastic save. Fortunately the ball fell in front of Yossi and he scored from the chance. By the way it was a great feeling to be on the pich, the atmosphere was great and I enjoyed the game.

The penalty was a good decision by the ref. Alonso's ball was a little bit short and I had to move back a bit, and there came the defender who fouled me. I was thinking about asking for shooting that penalty, but when I saw Xabi Alonso to move for the ball I did not say anything, but supporting him. He is European Champion, one of the greatest penalty takers in the world, who I respect very much, so I was happy with his goal.

After the match everybody said some good words to me, even Rafa Benitez did, but I think his words do not behove to the publicity. I'm instead enjoying his words in myself.

As for the experience in Scotland it was great. We were in a nice hotel and we were napping a bit. We had a nice walk in the mountains, where the scenery was beautiful and the air was clear and fresh. After the technical discussion Rafa Benitez told me he will bring me in after 50 minutes an I will play to the end.

From that I was only thinking about the game, witch was fantastic. I have never played in front of 55000 people. It was great to see, that Liverpool is going to be a strong team this year, as the others were playing well together. Ngog played very well and Dossena was really good also. As for me It would be great to be close to the first team this year.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Liverpool FC - The Reserves Thread 08/09
      Reply #7: Aug 21, 2008 12:16:21 am

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160984080820-2327.htm

Liverpool reserves have rounded off their mini tour of Scotland with a 2-1 win over Scottish League leaders Hamilton Academical. 
      Gary Ablett's men bounced back from a disappointing 5-0 thrashing at the hands of Inverness Caledonian Thistle earlier in the week to earn victory at New Douglas Park thanks to goals from Robert Huth and Daniel Pacheco.

Huth gave the Reds the lead with a first half header before Joel Thomas equalised for the home side after the break. Spanish striker Pacheco grabbed the winner to leave Ablett with a smile on his face following his side's heavy defeat on Monday night.

"I'm much happier after this performance," he told Liverpoolfc.tv. "This was a big test of character for us and I wasn't sure before the game if enough of the players possessed the character to be here.

"The season we had last year just kept getting better and better but what happened on Monday night brought us right back down to earth with a heavy bump. We can't live on last season, we have a lot of hard work to do.

"If the saying about only being as good as your last game is true, then we weren't very good before tonight's match. The players had a lot to prove. We see them every day in training and so we know how good they are but they have to keep showing they have what it takes to wear the red shirt.

"I was so disappointed after the Inverness game - especially because we had so many supporters there - but I think the lads gave a great response tonight. Hamilton Academical are a side who play really nice football and they gave us a real test.

"Ronald Huth scored with a header but when they equalised we had a storm to ride out. Defensively we were solid and we were able to hold them out and then Pacheco won the game for us with a nice finish after one of their full-backs had made a mistake. He drew the 'keeper well and finished in style.

"We wanted a response from them and we got it, but we're not kidding ourselves because we know there's still a lot to improve on in terms of our tactical play. The lads showed a fantastic attitude tonight though and I'm pleased they showed they had the character to bounce back after Monday night."

The reserves are next in action on Wednesday afternoon when they entertain Hull City in a friendly at the Academy before the defence of their league title gets underway at Middlesbrough on September 2.

Team: Hansen, Darby, Ayala, Huth, Insua, Flynn, Spearing, Jose, Weijl, Pacheco, Simon. 

Good to see that Ablett wants that LFC spirit in the lads. After last season it can become too easy to get complacent.

And it's about time Pacheco scored a goal. Very impressive in pre season but did miss one or two chances. This will have done his confidence the world of good.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #8: Aug 21, 2008 12:24:46 am
      Good to see the lads back on track. Another reserve title this year, with so many first team reserves from last year on loan or made the step up, would be a much bigger achievement in my opinion.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #9: Aug 21, 2008 03:39:41 pm
      Nice to see the lads back to winning ways, I guess the Reserves are going to be a force to be reckoned with again this season, and that all bodes well for the future.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #10: Aug 21, 2008 06:56:27 pm
      Any word on Rafa's idea to get the reserves into the football league and not a reserve league?
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #11: Aug 21, 2008 07:21:58 pm
      Any word on Rafa's idea to get the reserves into the football league and not a reserve league?

Never gonna happen
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #12: Aug 21, 2008 07:40:26 pm

You never know, barwick is stepping down... maybe the new boss will like the idea ::)
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #13: Aug 21, 2008 09:22:23 pm
      You never know, barwick is stepping down... maybe the new boss will like the idea ::)

Im convinced it wont, i could well be completely wrong but i dont think they see it as a good idea.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #14: Aug 21, 2008 09:49:36 pm
      Im convinced it wont, I could well be completely wrong but I dont think they see it as a good idea.

Yea i think your right... but i think it is a good idea to be honest
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #15: Aug 21, 2008 10:00:40 pm
      Yea I think your right... but I think it is a good idea to be honest

Yeah it is a very good idea. I'd love to see it, but as with all the good ideas that come up, it gets shot straight back down stupidly.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #16: Aug 21, 2008 10:02:13 pm
      Yeah it is a very good idea. I'd love to see it, but as with all the good ideas that come up, it gets shot straight back down stupidly.

I no, but if by some chance trevor brooking gets the head of FA post.... that may shake up the FA for the better
      DonaldAccies
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #17: Aug 21, 2008 10:33:35 pm
      Just to point out, which the Liverpoolfc.tv report doesn't make clear - it was very much an Accies reserve side too, with 6 trialists (including a French defender who was auditioning for Comedy Central!). Having said that, it was an entertaining game. Just don't want people to think that was Accies first team!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #18: Aug 21, 2008 10:37:47 pm
      Just to point out, which the Liverpoolfc.tv report doesn't make clear - it was very much an Accies reserve side too, with 6 trialists (including a French defender who was auditioning for Comedy Central!). Having said that, it was an entertaining game. Just don't want people to think that was Accies first team!

NP. I think the first report that was put up on here was from an Accies website and they said it was Accies reserves.

DonaldAccies
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #19: Aug 21, 2008 10:44:21 pm
      Thanks. We did play a friendly at Anfield once the 1920s I think, and won 2-0, so I like to think our 100% record remains intact! (It was an odd game though, as we apparently had to borrow a couple of Liverpool players to make the eleven!).
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #20: Aug 21, 2008 10:53:23 pm
      Good to see you give your thoughts DonaldAccies.

Who would you say impressed you from our reserves at the game? It's always good to see things from an opposing fans perspective.
      DonaldAccies
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #21: Aug 21, 2008 11:04:47 pm
      Sorry I can't help really - didn't have a team sheet and I have no clue who was who. Too busy watching our own trialists!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #22: Aug 21, 2008 11:07:51 pm
      Sorry I can't help really - didn't have a team sheet and I have no clue who was who. Too busy watching our own trialists!

No problem. Can understand if you were just looking at a number of trialists then..

Quick Reply