Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool v Middlesbrough: Match Thread

Read 30632 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Re: Liverpool v Middlesbrough: Match Thread
      Reply #299: Aug 23, 2008 10:40:03 pm
      Another below par performance, but another three points. If this was Chelsea or United we'd be hearing "that's what champions do, they grind out results" with us it's "Liverpool were lucky to come away with three points" well tough titty you media tw*ts we're doing what champions do, we're grinding out results and winning when in all fairness we don't deserve it.

It was a below par performance but we stuck in until the end. Didn't let our heads drop when they scored and we're turning draws into wins, something we didn't do last year. Our side is still embedding some new players, who by the way are improving with every game, as well trying to welcome back a few injuries or lads who've been absent for other reasons (Olympics) Our opening two games have been against sides who've both beaten Tottenham, the same Tottenham who were gonna break into the top four this year at our expense. Well not f***in now. So pipe down and accept that this year Liverpool Football Club are the side who you're gonna have to finish above if you want to the league.

The match itself was not a good one for me nerves. Although Boro didn't ever look too dangerous we weren't as clinical as we'll need to be in the future. The first goal for us was lucky, can't deny that but if it hadn't gone in, Pogatetz would of been sent off, Boro down to ten men, us with a penalty so they were just as lucky. Stevie's goal was just typical Stevie. Doing everything he had to at the precise moment, what a finish. No player in the world can do what he does and Fabio Capello wants him on the left wing? Italian Idiot. Good to see Keane finally complete 90 minutes, he and Torres are almost there as a partnership. Nando was great throughout today. Benayoun again wasn't at his best but some players just have a dip in form, it is allowed to happen. El Zhar showed promise when he came on. Overall another disappointing performance but good result and results are what count at the end of the day.

Roll on Villa so we can shut that moaning tw*t O'Neil up.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #300: Aug 23, 2008 10:41:28 pm
      MOTD on tele now.  Or if you can't be arsed moving, and you're in the UK, you can watch it on the BBC football website.

The 'pundits' had best pay some respect to the league leaders.

;D they can't deny us a little respect this time surely!

Can guarentee they will end up talking about the possibilty of Gareth Barry signing or Alonso leaving instead of the fact we are top!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #301: Aug 23, 2008 10:45:15 pm
      Missed the first 15 mins. Have the reds been on?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #302: Aug 23, 2008 10:47:21 pm
      Missed the first 15 mins. Have the reds been on?

I think they are on next
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #303: Aug 23, 2008 10:47:34 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #304: Aug 23, 2008 10:50:53 pm
      Or not......Probably will be on next now :D
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #305: Aug 23, 2008 10:50:59 pm
      You not got Sky Sport then JD?
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #306: Aug 23, 2008 10:52:46 pm
      I like the current game, they just scored the winner ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #307: Aug 23, 2008 11:01:24 pm
      Now we're on!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #308: Aug 23, 2008 11:03:10 pm
      "Liverpool used to be really good" Well two Champions League finals in four years must only be half decent...what the F**k does that make Arsenal, Chelsea and United then? ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #309: Aug 23, 2008 11:21:47 pm
      You not got Sky Sport then JD?

Yeah. Taped the full game but I just wanted to see the other games as well. Obv.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #310: Aug 23, 2008 11:23:33 pm

He's a pr**k is Lineker.

Alan Hansen was on the money though - we are 'wingless' - and good on Mark Lawrenson for sticking it to the Americans.  I think, as I have for sometime, that our potential success this season rests on the ability for us to land a class winger in the next week.  Unfortunately if they've done F**k all all summer then the chances are pretty slim.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #311: Aug 23, 2008 11:25:44 pm
      When Hansen done the analysis about the style of play and showed them yellow lines of just how narrow we play it makes you realise even more just how badly we need wingers, there was so much space out on them wings and with wingers it would draw the defenders wider freeing up space for Keane and Torres.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #312: Aug 23, 2008 11:28:02 pm
      When Hansen done the analysis about the style of play and showed them yellow lines of just how narrow we play it makes you realise even more just how badly we need wingers, there was so much space out on them wings and with wingers it would draw the defenders wider freeing up space for Keane and Torres.

Agree with that fully.
      Cant believe the space that was their and how we dont use it. Like Lawro and Hansen said, were going to become easy to defend against.
      SIGN A WINGER!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #313: Aug 23, 2008 11:44:27 pm
      I love Hansen on MOTD when it comes to Liverpool. He doesn't let anyone else get a word in, even Lawro who also played for us. Only way anyone else gets to speak about the Liverpool game is if Lineker asks them a question, even then you can see Jocky waitin to jump in.
      solodee

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #314: Aug 24, 2008 12:41:46 am
      Heard Gerrard saying after the game that he 'felt' for Middlesbrough.

They need to stop spouting that sh*te straight away.  Winners never feel sorry for losers.

Winners need to have a heart. Crush the weak first, feel for them later.  ;D
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #315: Aug 24, 2008 01:09:36 am
      An unfit Gerrard is still the best player on the pitch, Says it all.

I think Torres is best as a lone striker, I kind of miss the 4-2-3-1. Maybe we will revert once we get our DMFs back from China.

Yossi should definitely be seeing some bench time coming his way.

Does Pennant have a metatarsal injury or something? How long will he be out for?

The Skrtel bicycle kick might just be the greatest moment of strategic play Rafa has ever masterminded.

Alonso should work on moving with the ball. It's like he can't move with the ball at his feet, or refuses to. He gets the ball, maybe kicks it once, to buy time and scope out someone for a 40-60 yard pass.
      maxextz
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts | -13 
      • Id like To dip my cookies in your tears.
      Reply #316: Aug 24, 2008 01:29:46 am
      i hope carra gets that goal he deserved it, after all it took a deflection off the defender and went in, it was hes shot not the defenders doing, the players really enjoyed the comeback today both goals were well celebrated haven't seen them enjoy it so much before, great stuff. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #317: Aug 24, 2008 01:35:44 am

Yossi should definitely be seeing some bench time coming his way.

As should Arbeloa
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #318: Aug 24, 2008 03:40:02 am
      My god we were awful. Still, results like this last season were slipping away from us and ultimately cost us a title challenge. Games exactly like this last season were finishing 1-1 or 0-0 but already in the first two games we have an 85th minute winner against Sunderland, 85th minute leveler and then 93r minute winner. Whole different mentality gets created from results like these, these two games could have already had a massive massive barring on our season. We draw against Sunderland and then loose to boro and your already in a very negative head space but having pulled both games out of the fire the players will be on a big buzz. Also with Masch to return and Agger to slot back in, the team will improve.

I'm not impressed, but I'm happy. Once we qualify for the CL I expect one more signing too.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #319: Aug 24, 2008 03:45:15 am
      It is great to get the three points and great to see the game winners out there making the difference. Gerrard looked well off the pace for the whole game but came in with a clutch goal when needed.

Performance wise we still leave a fair bit to be desired if we want to be fighting for the title because we can't keep on banking on late winners. I see the team very very slowly getting better in terms of Keane him-self and the Keane/Torres combo, Dossena on the left I thought had a better game attacking wise (though still room for major improvement), Kuyt was more a influence as well. Though I have to say Yossi was completely dreadful to watch out there, offered nothing of any value.

There is also two things I watch to point out which drove me nuts tonight,

1) I dunno why we always try short corners all the time, they never come off and after about 2 they become predictable and yet we did it 5 or 6 times.

2) Rafa has to make up his mind now on CB pair and run with it. I know we have great depth in the CB position but you can't be changing it every game.

This game did little to make me feel safe about the Standard game mid-week but I pray make a hugh step towards much better performance and better results (not relying on late game winners).
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #320: Aug 24, 2008 05:37:08 am
      Ok so we didn't play well but we got the 3 points. At the end of the season no one is going to remember how we played, but they'll remember the scoreline and it was another W for us. Yes, we've started shakily but we have to remember the season is a marathon not a sprint.

Three words that keeps coming to mind are Grinding it out. DLS pointed it out before as well....it's what the top teams do and if we want be challenging, these are the sorts of games that will instill some self confidence in ourselves that no matter how badly we play, we're not out of it till that Fat Lady sings.

So happy for Carra today....loved it went the Commentator said "Try taking that of Carragher" gave me a good laugh ;D and when I thought all was lost, up pops Stevie with a trademark scorcher. I loved his celebration with the new spin on it...was copying it myself in my loungeroom, then when the final whistle went...ran outside the house (kids and missus fast alseep...2am in the moring)....jumping up and down.

So yeah we can play a lot better and I'm sure it will come but for now 6 points out of 6...that's all we can ask for...bring on the Villains and the Mancs..I know they will be a lot better oppositon, but if we have the never say die attitude, anything can happen...we could even be 4 from 4 at the end of the first month..fingers, toes and everything else that can be crossed, will be.  ;D   Go you REDS
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #321: Aug 24, 2008 09:07:22 am
      that is a win of champions - previously as soon as boro had scored we'd have taken a draw and hoped for the best, but the fact we pressed and pressed for the win is a sign that winning is only acceptable.

It's nice to see us grinding out results like this

Quick Reply