Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Scottish want their own Olympic team

Read 10042 times
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Scottish want their own Olympic team
      Aug 24, 2008 12:25:32 pm
       ::)
      The Scottish Government has repeated its calls for Scotland to have its own, separate team at the Olympics.

Ministers believe it would be good for Scotland's sport and standing and the SNP wants to hold a referendum in 2010 - two years before the Games in London.

However, Labour said the Nationalists were being petty and should share Britain's pride in Team GB.

The Beijing Olympics saw cyclist Chris Hoy earn the accolade of Scotland's greatest Olympian with his three golds.

His three medals helped Great Britain to its best performance for a century but if the Scottish Government is successful in its bid, Team GB in future will not include Scotland.

Sports Minister Stewart Maxwell pointed to the success of nations such as Jamaica as proof small countries can make an impact at the Olympics and believes a separate Scottish team could achieve great things.

He told BBC Scotland: "If you look at Jamaica, a small island nation, they won gold, silver and bronze in the women's sprint, they've got world records, they've won the men's, the women's 100 and 200 metres and the relay.

"This is an exceptionally brilliant nation - at the same time a small nation. Scotland can compete on the world stage - we proved that in the Olympics - and a Scottish team at the Olympics is the future."

Asked what Mr Maxwell would say to those Scots who would rather see Scotland's athletes play a big role in Team GB, Mr Maxwell replied: "What I would say to them, do Irish athletes want to rejoin the UK and be part of the UK team?

"Do we want to get rid of the GB team and have a European team because a European team would sweep the board?

"So I think you have to think about whether or not it's appropriate in the level you represent your own country in. I think it's quite right you represent your own country."

However, Labour said most Scots took pride in the achievements of the whole of Team GB, with Scotland's own success making it extra special.

Frank McAveety, Scottish Labour sports spokesman said: "I'm absolutely passionate about Scotland and I want Scotland to do well, but I'm also exceptionally proud of team GB's performance in the Olympics. I don't see why I should be asked to make a choice between those two."

Meanwhile, Labour leadership contender Cathy Jamieson has called for Scotland to have its own Year of Sport in 2014.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7579124.stm

They love their little 'referendum's' don't they.  Can the Government up there not make a decision themselves? Isn't that what their paid to do.  Maybe they should save some money and just run their country through a webpage with loads of polls on it?

Love the bit attempting to compare Scotland with Jamaica.  :lmao:

Fine by me.  Anyone else agree?

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Scottish want their own Olympic team
      Reply #1: Aug 24, 2008 04:02:08 pm
      Sorry, but Scotland can go and... well you get the idea, they are always bleating about the terrible English, when to be honest they really don't have much, don't mention the oil because it was the English taxpayer who payed for the in frostructure, the Scottish Parliament WTF! they have not only spent millions on it but also want a say in ours. Did you know that there is a suburb in Glasgow where the life expectancy is only 55!
      give them their year of sport, I'm sure the Tossing the Caber will be riveting, wow a national sport where you throw a stick! All because Hoy can ride a Bike FAST, and they want independence again,  :mad:

I know I've lost the plot abit, but either SHUT UP Scotland, and Live with the English, or rebuild Hadrian's Wall,  :f_steam:
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #2: Aug 24, 2008 10:55:39 pm
      Seein as the English think their the best at everything, I agree with the fact that Scotland should have its own team.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #3: Aug 25, 2008 12:23:10 am
      Seein as the English think their the best at everything, I agree with the fact that Scotland should have its own team.

What would you do when Chris Hoy retires though?
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #4: Aug 25, 2008 08:47:39 am
      How many referendums do Scotland want, they had one a good few years ago, and Scotland and Wales said then they wanted to start going there own way.

Before the referendums I used to say I was British, not any more, F**k them if they want to split GB up.
      I'm English and proud of it.

Scotland and Wales over the years will go there own way, but it will not happen that fast, maybe in 10 or 20 years.

I know Scotland keep going on about there oil, but it was English and USA money that got it out, if it was left to Scotland it would still be under the north sea.

Here are some facts some of you might not no about.
      For every pound that Scotland raises in taxes, we down here in England have to put in 15p.
      Wales we have to put in 10p.
      There are no figures for NI. but NI, do not want to spilt GB up.

So if we did not have Scotland and Wales we could be 25% better off, that could be more money in are pockets or are health and are schools could be better off.

What would you do when Chris Hoy retires though?

Chris Hoy, did a great job for us in the GB team, but he is 32, don't think he will be part of the next games.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #5: Aug 25, 2008 01:40:53 pm
      Be good to see a breakdown of the nationalities in the British olympic team this year see what percentage are English or Scottish or Welsh or Northern Irish
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #6: Aug 25, 2008 01:53:49 pm
      Graham your English and proud , I'm Welsh and proud ,but not all of us in wales want home rule and i personally think it should stay GB.
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: Aug 25, 2008 03:41:11 pm
      Should stay GB, I am scottish and the scots take all of this anti-english to the next level, my mum is english so I enjoy supporting england in all of their sports apart from the football the majority of the time. But many Scots would love Scotland to become Independent but knowing sods law it would all turn sour and would just ruin Scotland am afraid.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      Reply #8: Aug 25, 2008 04:33:19 pm
      Graham your English and proud , I'm Welsh and proud ,but not all of us in wales want home rule and I personally think it should stay GB.

I think when you had your referendum, It was something like 51% in favour to 49%.
      That might have change now, because the Welsh party are getting more votes now.

I will be sad to see GB go, but it is on the cards, it will take a good few years, but it will happen.

The Scots are forging the way, and there is no turning back now, and Wales will follow Scotland.

But the thing that Im realy sad over, Scotland and Wales had there referendum, BUT, no one has the guts to ask us English, and give us a referendum. MMMMMMMMMMM I wonder why.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #9: Aug 25, 2008 04:47:40 pm
      I think when you had your referendum, It was something like 51% in favour to 49%.
      That might have change now, because the Welsh party are getting more votes now.

I will be sad to see GB go, but it is on the cards, it will take a good few years, but it will happen.

The Scots are forging the way, and there is no turning back now, and Wales will follow Scotland.

But the thing that Im realy sad over, Scotland and Wales had there referendum, BUT, no one has the guts to ask us English, and give us a referendum. MMMMMMMMMMM I wonder why.
      Dont want to sound bitchy , but why shoulld you ? The English invaded Wales and Scotland then took over. It was your choise. But like i said i would rather a United Kingdoom. :)
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      Reply #10: Aug 25, 2008 04:57:14 pm
      Are we talkin about an olympic team or independance? ???
      Its easy to have a scottish, english and welsh olympic team but independance is a whole different topic.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #11: Aug 25, 2008 05:04:33 pm
      If the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish want their own Olympic teams then that's fair enough.

Let's do it.

2008 Olympics Team GB medal winners

gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #12: Aug 25, 2008 05:08:17 pm
      Who is saying that the Welsh want thier own olympic team anyway?
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      Reply #13: Aug 25, 2008 05:17:59 pm
      Winning medals isnt all the olympics is about JD.
      Showing us where the medal winners came from isnt going to change my mind.
      Its about representing your country, and if someone would rather represent Scotland than GB, thats fair enough, its their choice.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      Reply #14: Aug 25, 2008 05:22:45 pm
      If the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish want their own Olympic teams then that's fair enough.

Let's do it.

2008 Olympics Team GB medal winners

Chris Hoy might be from Scotland, but he lives in Manchester.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #15: Aug 25, 2008 07:56:04 pm
      Winning medals isnt all the olympics is about JD.
      Showing us where the medal winners came from isnt going to change my mind.
      Its about representing your country, and if someone would rather represent Scotland than GB, thats fair enough, its their choice.

No it isn't really their choice.  I'd rather represent Merseyside than England but I wouldn't be allowed to.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #16: Aug 25, 2008 11:22:42 pm
      Haha as a member of the NI community.... i think that a seperate team would be a poor sports move :P, just look at the medal map
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #17: Aug 26, 2008 09:42:06 pm
      I think it would be better to stay as Great Britain, but if Scotland want their own team then let them have one.
      But isn't GB split up into the seperate countries in the Commenwealth Games?
      What's the difference in sending Team GB to the Olympics but England, Scotland, Wales and Nothern Ireland to the Commenwealth Games?
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #18: Sep 04, 2008 02:05:44 am
      To be honest, I feel all this Olympics stuff is being blown out of proportion. Gold winners now are treated like Royalty, when beforehand, no-one was really that fussed. The winners this year got home, welcomed with open top buses and the freedom of a town, which is fair enough. But why the sudden rush of plaudits when no-one has really been bothered before?

I know the London Olympics are coming up (the reason for our apparent recession perhaps) and people are getting this big sense of pride, but for me, the Olympics are just a big fanfare. A 'look at us' type of thing. Beijing used it to show the world how they're not an old fashioned country anymore. I haven't a clue how Great Britain is going to use it. We're paying mega taxes, prices are going up on everything, and for what? Some party for people around the world to come and see how brilliant our capital is? Hardly our capital! We're priced out of going any other time! Imagine it in 2012. Petrol will be £2.50 a litre and I dread to think how much it'll be on the train! :-\

Rant over! :D My apologies!

Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #19: Sep 04, 2008 05:46:10 am
      Let them have their own team, Wales too if they want.  For the paltry amount of medalists they provide each year (one exception in Chris Hoy) it is not going to make much difference to medal table.

Imagine if Hoy had been injured - Jason Kenny would have picked up his gold in the Keirin.  We could have sent another English rider who may have done well.

I have never had a problem with them wanting independance either.  Since Braveheart was on the tele they all think we English have taken "their freedom."  Let them have their referendum - if I could I would vote for evolution devolution for them.   ;D
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #20: Sep 04, 2008 11:02:08 am
      I would like to see Scotland and Wales and Ireland become theire own nations at the Olympics as I feel that its about representing my country,
      ALthough a Welsh person I know, calls himself British, not Welsh although if you call him English he gets angry.
      Whats with that? I think to end it once and for all the teams should compete for their own countries.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #21: Sep 06, 2008 05:06:30 pm
      i think liverpool should have independence from the UK.......
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      Reply #22: Sep 07, 2008 03:17:46 pm
      I think liverpool should have independence from the UK.......

Ken Dod did just that a lot of years ago, he went on radio and telly saying Liverpool had just got there independence from the UK.
      He said the East Lancs was closed, and so where the tunnels, and armed diddey men where holding the borders.

The phone lines to the radio and police and TV where jammed.

Mind you it was the 1st April.
      But so many people believed him.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #23: Sep 07, 2008 04:25:40 pm
      Ken Dod did just that a lot of years ago, he went on radio and telly saying Liverpool had just got there independence from the UK.
      He said the East Lancs was closed, and so where the tunnels, and armed diddey men where holding the borders.

That's the best thing I've heard all day!  :lmao: Exactly when was this Graham?
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      Reply #24: Sep 08, 2008 06:56:01 am
      I'm showing my age up now, but I think it was somewhere around 1980,s.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #25: Sep 08, 2008 08:34:50 am
      I don't get this team GB anyway.  Surely it should have been team UK?  The Ulster contingent must have been well p*ssed off.

As a Scouser - a mixture of English, Irish, Welsh and Scottish (not to mention a bit of Norwegian) team UK is fine for me.

If they all went their separate ways I could support all the teams anyway.

As for 2012 let's get something straight.  As they consistently say in the media - IT IS THE LONDON OLYMPICS.

It is currently draining and will continue to drain resources from the rest of the country to the capital, as if they don't get enough already.

So as far as I'm concerned it's nowt to do with me.  I shall just ignore it.  After all it's the LONDON Olympics and I don't come from London.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #26: Sep 09, 2008 01:31:46 pm

Brilliant... i do remember something......    we dont need em all....ha ha
      « Last Edit: Sep 09, 2008 01:35:13 pm by ayrton77 »
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      Reply #27: Sep 09, 2008 05:44:51 pm
      I don't get this team GB anyway.  Surely it should have been team UK?  The Ulster contingent must have been well p*ssed off.

As a Scouser - a mixture of English, Irish, Welsh and Scottish (not to mention a bit of Norwegian) team UK is fine for me.

If they all went their separate ways I could support all the teams anyway.

As for 2012 let's get something straight.  As they consistently say in the media - IT IS THE LONDON OLYMPICS.

It is currently draining and will continue to drain resources from the rest of the country to the capital, as if they don't get enough already.

So as far as I'm concerned it's nowt to do with me.  I shall just ignore it.  After all it's the LONDON Olympics and I don't come from London.

Sorry Oldred, I will have to disagree with you on this one, yes the Olympics are in London, but it would be no diffrent if they where in the midlands our Scotland.
      I'm just made up the UK has the Olympics, Its the people who have put a lot of hard work in, the runners, swimmers so on so on, to get up to Olympic standard, there the ones who get my support.

I love sport, and I have never been to a Olympic games, so god willing I will be at this one in 2012.
      tomarto
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 143 posts |
      Reply #28: Nov 27, 2008 11:24:52 am
      yes lets scrap team GB aslong as therey train the own  Olympic teams Chris Hoy may be scottish but he trained in england

Quick Reply