Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Olympics 2012

Read 46885 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Re: The Olympics 2012
      Reply #23: Mar 23, 2012 11:18:28 pm
      Buzzing for the Games to be honest.

Got tickets for swimming, hockey semi final and then the footie final at Wembley too.
      Enjoy It.   The Olympics, especially Summer games are monumental. I live in Atlanta. Ga.  The games completely changed Atlanta, for the good. The venues are still used. The Park is beautiful and its just amazing.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #24: Mar 23, 2012 11:35:09 pm
      It's disheartening to see so many people taking or pretending to take a non caring attitude to the Olympics. The Olympics is a monumental sporting event where the most fantastic athletes we never get to hear of come to prominence with some of the most incredible sporting achievements. I don't give a sh*t if people are moaning about it being in London. It has to be somewhere and for it to be in this country this year should be an absolute honour. Sadly I won't be attending the London Olympics but I really wish I was. For sure it won't match the extravaganza of Beijing (don't think anything will beat those Olympics) and we might as well forget about the look of this Olympics what with the truly awful looking logos, mascots and probably worst of all the stadium but what made me think is that no one remembers the Olympics for these things. No matter how butchering a job the organisers have done the last few years it's the athletes who make the Olympics. Not those shallow and sham marketing/business men and women.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #25: Mar 24, 2012 05:59:50 pm
      It's disheartening to see so many people taking or pretending to take a non caring attitude to the Olympics. The Olympics is a monumental sporting event where the most fantastic athletes we never get to hear of come to prominence with some of the most incredible sporting achievements. I don't give a sh*t if people are moaning about it being in London. It has to be somewhere and for it to be in this country this year should be an absolute honour. Sadly I won't be attending the London Olympics but I really wish I was. For sure it won't match the extravaganza of Beijing (don't think anything will beat those Olympics) and we might as well forget about the look of this Olympics what with the truly awful looking logos, mascots and probably worst of all the stadium but what made me think is that no one remembers the Olympics for these things. No matter how butchering a job the organisers have done the last few years it's the athletes who make the Olympics. Not those shallow and sham marketing/business men and women.
      People who are bitchin about the games in London, have no Idea how awe inspiring it is when it starts. The whole air is electric. When it comes down to 3-4 days before the opening ceremonies and the people start showing up and the press and athletes and the entertainment venues open and the park is kicking you will change your mind. Especially when you can go out at night and its 11:00 pm and you can look at the Olympic flame burning and all the lights are on at the venues and stadiums and tourists from every country and the Athletes are walking around, I guarantee you will change your mind. Its the World Cup, Champions league Final, Super Bowl, FA Cup all in one.

The biggest bonus...at night the bars and clubs will be packed with foreign women. I never saw more beautiful foreign women than during the Olympics.  It is a giant bowl of Ass Soup. Women EVERYWHERE!  The ratio is 10:1.  That alone makes the Olympics great.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #26: Apr 22, 2012 08:51:36 pm
      Board of this already, and it has not even started.

Every advert is an "Official Partner" or the like, don't get me wrong, I am patriotic, but I'm English, not British, but the Union Jack every where is beginning to get on my nerves.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #27: Apr 25, 2012 11:06:59 pm
      I was checking out the London Olympics site and was looking at the venues.  Some of those venues are stunning architecturally.

The Aquatic Centers is BEAUTIFUL!!!!  IMO,  Absolutely stunning architecture and design w/ the lattice framework and the sharp edges, then the sloping shell w/ slides off the center sides. It looks like a low horse saddle.  Great look.

The Velodrome is fantastic too.  The low profile and the low and long sweeping bowl looks like its made out of teak wood. Its a brilliant design.

The Lee Valley White Water Center is f***in cool as hell. They built a stadium around a man made white water rapids course. Thats just pretty cool too me.

The new Basketball arena, is weird. I kinda like the design, shape and roof but the PVC wrapping is boring. If they add some colored lighting for it, then it may be good. But just plain white?  It looks like a giant greenhouse.

And finally.

I dont mean this as a disrespect to my English Brothers and Sisters. But, your new Olympic Stadium is sh*t. 

Its supposed to be the centerpiece for the London Games and a new Iconic stadium for London and England and its just sh*t. It has a plain, boring round design.  First, their is no way you can use that as a Football ground. With the track and the distance from the pitch its useless.  Their is no form to the top. Those f***in tripod lights which just stick out on the roof look awful. The metal framing looks unfinished and just lazy. They should of had a wave like overhang or partial dome w/ a giant opening or even a retractable roof.  It reminds me of those shitty,cookie cutter, metal and cement Baseball stadiums that were built in the 60's and 70's here in the US.  Its just round, cement and steel and no feel or flow. The white and black , triangle shapes for the seats are ugly. 
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #28: May 22, 2012 11:11:28 am
      Does anyone seen the point in the Olympic torch? I get the fact that there are numerous competitions for the worlds best athletes but I don't see why they need thousands of people running with a torch.

The torch ran through Plymouth on Saturday and it took me an hour just to drive half a mile with the traffic. 
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #29: May 22, 2012 11:19:17 am
      Asians will always win individual sports XD
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #30: Jun 01, 2012 07:47:54 pm
      Watching Sky Sports News they always seem to have the Olympics rep on trying to big up events for tickets. There's still a good few on sale, they don't seem to be anywhere near as popular as they thought they would be.

Also can anyone see David Beckham not getting the sympathy pick for the football? He's an Olympic ambassador with huge drawing power. Just like his record England cap, he'll be put in there because of the name not for the (long gone) talent.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #31: Jul 13, 2012 04:02:08 pm
      Kobe Bryant came out today and said that the current US Mens Basketball squad could beat the original "Dream Team" from 92".

I have to disagree.   NO f***in' WAY........

Their is still not a team in the universe past, present or future, that could beat the 92 US Mens team.  No way.  They were unstoppable. Look at their stats.

That first team was just so good. Every top NBA player wanted to be on the team.  Since 92" I watched the other US teams and they didnt play as smooth and effortlessly and just overpowering as that original Dream Team. Every single player on that team is a Hall of Fame player. Except Christian Laetner.

Their is also a "Urban Legend" around this team. For practice they would just play little pick up games for 10 minutes and do shoot arounds etc..  Then on the last practice before the start of the Olymoic Games, coach Daly said to divide up some starters and bench players and he wanted to play a 30 minute game and told them to play all out and give it "All you got" So, this scrimmage game was played with Barkley, Magic Johnson, David Robinson, Chris Mullen and John Stockton against a team of Jordan, Bird, Malone, Ewing and Pippen. But the legend goes that the people who saw this game including the other players, athletes from other nations, reporters, Olympic officials etc... all said it was the greatest basketball game they have ever watched.  Its called the "Greatest game no one ever watched"

I do think that the current team were sending to London is great. I dont see anyone beating them.  Just having Lebron, Kobe and Durant on the team makes them a favorite. But then Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler.... I think we will win the gold. May have a tough time against  the Serb's or Greece but we are better and should win out.

Now I know whats it like to be Spanish or Brazilian when the World Cup is on. ;D
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #32: Jul 14, 2012 10:09:33 pm
      Kobe Bryant came out today and said that the current US Mens Basketball squad could beat the original "Dream Team" from 92".

I have to disagree.   NO f***in' WAY........

Their is still not a team in the universe past, present or future, that could beat the 92 US Mens team.  No way.  They were unstoppable. Look at their stats.
      Agreed. Even if you see that Bird was a shell of himself (the Gold medal game was his last ever, due to back pain) and that Magic wasn't 'magic' (due to his layoff), that team still was far deeper than this 2012 team. Not even close. Probably 4-1 in a 7-game series.

soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #33: Jul 14, 2012 10:16:10 pm
      Teaser: And on it went for eight days as scores of Olympians, male and female, trickled into the shooter's house -- and that's what everyone called it, Shooters' House -- at all hours, stopping by an Oakley duffel bag overflowing with condoms procured from the village's helpful medical clinic. After a while, it dawned on Lakatos: "I'm running a friggin' brothel in the Olympic Village! I've never witnessed so much debauchery in my entire life."

This is a VERY entertaining read. http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/story/_/id/8133052/athletes-spill-details-dirty-secrets-olympic-village-espn-magazine
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #34: Jul 15, 2012 02:50:44 am
      Agreed. Even if you see that Bird was a shell of himself (the Gold medal game was his last ever, due to back pain) and that Magic wasn't 'magic' (due to his layoff), that team still was far deeper than this 2012 team. Not even close. Probably 4-1 in a 7-game series.

Look at that roster. Jordan, Bird, Magic, Pippen, Drexler, Malone, Robinson, Ewing, Barkley, Stockton, Mullen and Ewing.  Every player is now a Hall of Famer.  Every player wanted to play on the team and were dedicated to not just winning the Gold Medal but making a statement that USA Basketball is the best in the World. That was the best TEAM to ever play.

If they played the 2012 team I dont even think the 2012 team would win 1 game. 92' would go 10-0 in a 10 game series. They were just too well rounded and too good. Which really goes to show how good the 92' team was because I dont think the current 2012 team will lose a game in this Olympics.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #35: Jul 18, 2012 12:31:46 am
      Cracking promo video for the Paralympics:

Channel 4 Paralympics - Meet the Superhumans

:gt-happyup:
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #36: Jul 18, 2012 08:51:47 pm
      Teaser: And on it went for eight days as scores of Olympians, male and female, trickled into the shooter's house -- and that's what everyone called it, Shooters' House -- at all hours, stopping by an Oakley duffel bag overflowing with condoms procured from the village's helpful medical clinic. After a while, it dawned on Lakatos: "I'm running a friggin' brothel in the Olympic Village! I've never witnessed so much debauchery in my entire life."

This is a VERY entertaining read. http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/story/_/id/8133052/athletes-spill-details-dirty-secrets-olympic-village-espn-magazine

No wonder Giggs was so keen to participate.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #37: Jul 19, 2012 01:32:35 am
      Olympic ceremony youngsters told they should wear Adidas trainers

PRIMARY school children from Thame have been told they should wear Adidas shoes when they take part in the Olympic opening ceremony this month.

The eight youngsters from John Hampden Primary were told by the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games they have to wear the sports brand or unbranded trainers at the event on July 27.

This means if they have another brand of trainers they should not wear them.

London 2012 spokesman Sutveer Kaur said: “We’ve advised comfortable, unbranded or adidas shoes.”

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/9821083.Olympic_ceremony_youngsters_told_they_should_wear_Adidas_trainers/?ref=mr

This Olympic sponsorship malarkey is ridiculous.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #38: Jul 23, 2012 09:41:24 am
      I heard from a not too reliable source (the misses who tends to get things wrong that she heard) that according to the radio a certain Mr David Beckham will "have" a BIG part to play at the opening ceremony.

Now I do hope that this media image driven tosser is NOT the one to light the Olympic Flame as it will be a serious kick in the bollox to true Olympic Athletes who would be more suitable.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #39: Jul 23, 2012 10:20:17 am
      This bollocks is so cosmetic it's F***ing cringeworthy.
      Borris Johnston Tory MP for London somewhere or other is in the news for reciting an Olympic poem, the government are promoting it like crazy, the Olympic torch is being foisted on on people all over the country, literally. In spite of the manic TV coverage and claims of 'thousands turning out' there are usually a line of individuals 1 deep on the pavement waving pathetic paper Union Jacks about.
      What's it all about I hear you ask? As ever the making of money and the government will have it's finger in the pie  - there has already been an incident of financial irregularity with the G4S scandal and questions in the house.
      The company has been exposed as having some really questionable working practices and is grossly unfit to perform it's contractual duties to a satisfactory standard, a director has resigned as they do.
      So apart from the scapegoat director who no doubt took a pay off, who else should shoulder the blame for this fiasco which is now costing the tax payer millions?
      How about that grandiose Tory Lord [finger to your foreheads] Seb Coe in charge of all things Olympic? He appointed G4S for whatever reason, financial inducements are not unknown in these situations, is it not patently obvious where the responsibility lies?
      Bollocks to the Olympics.     
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #40: Jul 23, 2012 09:08:23 pm
      I heard from a not too reliable source (the misses who tends to get things wrong that she heard) that according to the radio a certain Mr David Beckham will "have" a BIG part to play at the opening ceremony.

Now I do hope that this media image driven tosser is NOT the one to light the Olympic Flame as it will be a serious kick in the bollox to true Olympic Athletes who would be more suitable.

I would like to see Sir Steve Redgrave light it. Quite fitting for Britain's greatest Olympian.

I also hope it isn't Beckham but I fear it might be.  :roll:
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #41: Jul 25, 2012 09:40:57 am
      I would like to see Sir Steve Redgrave light it. Quite fitting for Britain's greatest Olympian.

I also hope it isn't Beckham but I fear it might be.  :roll:

Daley Thompson as well but Beckham should be fu**ed right off - Seb Coe was also involved in the Olympic bid but I dont see the cries for him to be running the 800m or lifiting the F***ing torch.

I really hate Beckham.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #42: Jul 25, 2012 10:03:25 am
      It should be Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards lighting it.

They could set up a ski jump, set him alight using the torch and have him flying through the air, arms and legs flailing about and landing with a thud into the cauldron.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #43: Jul 26, 2012 11:37:38 am
      Having witnessed the rehearsal for the opening ceremony, prepare to be shocked and amazed. ;)
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #44: Jul 26, 2012 11:47:57 am
      Having witnessed the rehearsal for the opening ceremony, prepare to be shocked and amazed. ;)

I heard the same that it was amazing - not usually what i would watch but I will be now.

Its just the thought of Beckham being given a mjor role that annoys me - he has nothing to do with the Olympics.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #45: Jul 26, 2012 11:52:12 am

Been told by my mates that is is out of this world

Cant wait for it all to start of !!!

Quick Reply