Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Olympics 2012

Read 46913 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: The Olympics 2012
      Reply #46: Jul 26, 2012 02:54:05 pm
      Check out how many photos the Daily Fail have attached to this story about Voula Papachristou. Blatant pervery, haha:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2178836/London-2012-Olympics-Greek-athlete-Voula-Papachristou-banned-racist-joke-Twitter.html?ICO=most_read_module
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #47: Jul 26, 2012 04:01:39 pm
      London 2012: Sir Roger Bannister hot favourite to light Olympic flame

William Hill has stopped taking bets on Sir Roger Bannister lighting the Olympic cauldron after receiving a flurry of big bets backing the man who ran the first sub-four-minute mile.

Coral bookmakers are still taking bets, even though Sir Roger has now emerged as the overwhelming favourite to perform the task at Friday's opening ceremony.

Although Sir Roger competed at the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki, he failed to win a medal, meaning that he would be an unusual choice to light the flame, which has traditionally been an honour bestowed on great Olympians.

William Hill confirmed that they had closed the book on Sir Roger at lunchtime. "He went from 6-1 to even money and he was 33-1 just a few days ago," said a spokesman. "It's the second time it's happened, but it seem a bit illogical as he's got no strong link with the Games."

A spokesman for Coral said they were still taking bets and that Sir Roger was currently on 5-6, having seen his odds slashed from 7-1. Sir Steve Redgrave, meanwhile, is at 5-4.

"It's looking that way, but we're playing it very carefully," said a spokesman, who added that they had also seen money placed on novelty outsiders including James Bond, Harry Potter and Doctor Who.

Coral said they had also seen "significant money" on Thursday on David Beckham (7 from 14), Tom Daley (12 from 50), Bradley Wiggins (25 from 40) and Muhammad Ali (20 from 100).

"It's been an incredibly popular betting event, with everyone in our list attracting a bet, but it's Sir Roger that's the stand out selection with the punters at Coral," added the spokesman. "It seems to be the best kept secret around at the moment, and as long as it stays that way we will keep taking bets on it."

On Thursday morning, the organising committee's chief executive, Paul Deighton, said the person who would light the cauldron had been chosen and Team GB's chef de mission, Andy Hunt, said the decision had been "unanimous".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/26/london-2012-olympics-roger-bannister?CMP=twt_gu
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #48: Jul 26, 2012 04:06:04 pm

Naturally, the reference to pervy photos meant I had to take a look.  :f_whistle:

And you're right, there's loads of them. Out of character for the normally conservative Daily Fail.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #49: Jul 26, 2012 05:29:02 pm
      Just seen the torch go down Oxford Street.  I nearly missed it, I was expecting a runner but it was on the top of an open topped double decker bus.

The crowds were amazing, and I've heard that they have been huge all over the route today.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #50: Jul 26, 2012 10:13:26 pm
      Those pessimists saying "it's a waste of money", "F**k the Olympics" are being silenced hopefully. Really looking forward to this Olympics. Can't believe these 7 years are almost up. I remember watching the moment they were awarded the games and thinkng "that's such a long way away!". It's fantastic that so many people are happy and excited for this. Let's hope it goes well and that Britain can win lots! It won't be as big as Beijing but that's not what the Olympics are about.

Oh and let's all hope the opening ceremoy isn't a patch on that handover ceremony part of the Closing ceremony in Beijing. Remember? Leona Lewis and Jimmy Page god awful music act, David Beckham kicking a ball into the crowd and kids dancing around a double decker bus which top exploded (really apt considering what happened on 7/7) into a hedge? If there's any of that snooty drama teacher sh*te tomorrow I'm switching off!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #51: Jul 26, 2012 10:27:18 pm
      I heard the same that it was amazing - not usually what i would watch but I will be now.

Its just the thought of Beckham being given a mjor role that annoys me - he has nothing to do with the Olympics.

Ah to be fair on Beckham he played a massive role in Lndon getting the games 7 years back. He really did everyone proud in the promotion and presentation of the bid. Regardless of what I used to think of him he's done a lot of good in using his profile to great effect. As a British ambassador it's hard to think of anyone who has done a better job.

I would like to see Steve Redgrave light the flame though. Incredible athlete and an even better Olympian.
      Ideally I would like to see Ben Ainslie involved as well. Often overlooked in the great british sportsman stakes but if he wins gold in the sailing again this year he'll be right up there with Redgrave in my opinion. Doubt he'll be involved tomorrow night as he'll probably be training.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #52: Jul 27, 2012 12:18:57 pm
      Two world records have been broken in the archery:

London 2012: First two world records broken at Games
      London 2012 has seen its first world records broken as the South Korean archery team set two landmarks at Lord's.

Im Dong-hyun, who is legally blind in one eye, set an individual record in Friday's ranking round.

In the team event, Dong-hyun, Kim Bubmin and Oh Jin-hyek set a new landmark.

South Korea's archery team is regarded as the best in the world and has won 15 gold medals since 1984.

Dong-hyun, who won team golds at the past two Games, broke his own 72-arrow mark of 696 by three points.

Then, alongside Kim Bubmin and Oh Jin-hyek, he helped score a 216-arrow total of 2,087, passing the world record by 18 points.

Lord's played host to the men's individual ranking round on Friday morning and will hold the men's team gold medal match on Saturday.

South Korea's men are reigning world champions and have taken four of the six Olympic titles since the sport was added to the Games in 1988.

Dozens of spectators were denied entry to the event, the first London-based action of the Olympics, as it was held behind closed doors.

Lord's venue manager Vanessa Bellamy said: "This has always been a non-ticketed event but it seems some people believed they could come down on the day."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19013793
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #53: Jul 27, 2012 04:19:07 pm
      Bradley Wiggins: We may be strongest team ever in an Olympic road race

Bradley Wiggins

guardian.co.uk, Friday 27 July 2012 16.05 BST

Enjoying a spin in the Box Hill area are the Team GB road race team of Mark Cavendish, left, Chris Froome and Ian Stannard, ahead of David Millar and Bradley Wiggins in preparation for the men's road race in the 2012 Olympic Games. Photograph: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images
      Four weeks ago I was in Liege getting ready for the Tour de France, now I'm in a golf course hotel in leafy Surrey waiting for the start of the Olympic Games. It's been a crazy few weeks, and the last seven days was the maddest of all. A week ago I rode the time trial of my life in the Tour, with James Murdoch in the car behind, the power flowing perfectly and the last five kilometres spent knowing I was going to win, thinking of everything that had gone before: training on the Trough of Bowland in the rain, emptying the tank for Shane Sutton in Tenerife, the sacrifices my wife Cath had made so that I could train as I needed.

The last day in Paris was everything I had wanted: it had been a dream of mine to lead Cav out for the stage win while wearing the yellow jersey, and when I saw him going round the corner on the Place de la Concorde behind Eddy Boasson-Hagen, I knew the job was done. After it all died down, the team went for a reception at the Ritz, again with James Murdoch, and Jeremy Darroch, the head of Sky; there was champagne, quick speeches, with the riders all clearing the finger buffet because we were starving.

I flew back to the north-west with Cath and the kids. I'd insisted on going home, it was what I had wanted throughout the Tour, but it wasn't quite what I expected. We woke up to find a mass of press and other people at the end of the road, cars parked for half a mile down the lane, and it felt like we were under siege. I think I'd underestimated quite how big the whole thing was. By the evening I was like: 'I've got to go out on my bike for an hour', so I went out, but I couldn't get through the mass of people, and I had to give them a few minutes.

There was a line of cars following me as I rode, people taking photographs, people wanting me to sign things — some of them piles of pictures that they were going to sell on eBay, I suspect — and the next day when I went out for a pint of milk and a loaf of bread I was mobbed. The same thing happened when I took Ben to a rugby league training day; all the rugby people coming over, which you don't expect because cycling isn't their thing. We met Sam Tomkins and whereas he's been my lad's hero, there he was praising me.

So I'm having to come to terms with what people think of me, which is humbling to say the least. As cyclists we become famous in our own little world, we don't become celebrities. It's a sport that levels people out.

When you go on a club-run, if you puncture, you repair it yourself. You don't get someone else to do it for you. I still wash my own bike when I'm at home and it's covered in sh*t — I did that on Monday. I used to get laughed at and called names when I was a kid and wearing Lycra. So it all takes a bit of getting used to.

That meant it was a relief to get to Surrey. We're well protected here, with the media only allowed in on one day. We are outside London, but it definitely feels like being at the Olympic Games, because Doug Dailey, the GB logistics manager, is here. He's been there throughout my career at every Games since I was 19 at Sydney. I only seem to see him every four years, each time I've improved a bit and he says: "You've done a bit better since I last saw you." It's a more protective environment since the Tour, where you have people photographing you as you eat your dinner, as if you were monkeys in a cage.

We had a taste of what awaits when we went out training, with people who were just going about their daily business saying: 'Bloody hell, there go Great Britain.' The support was massive just in the villages around Surrey, and on Box Hill there were people everywhere looking for a glimpse. You can feel the buzz already.

This is what Cav has been living for for most of the year. The road race title is what he's been thinking about since he won the world's last September. He looks as fit as I've ever seen him. I told him I think black makes him look fat, but he looks different now he's wearing Great Britain blue. He's been rallying the troops, telling us what a fantastic team we are, and how he has no doubt we will be around him in the finale. It's probably the strongest team ever in an Olympic road race. We're all humble about what we have achieved but externally we must look like the dominant force.

There's no problem recovering from the Tour; it's the best way to prepare. This is a 250km race and we've had five days to recover since the Tour, sitting on our backsides in a nice hotel. It's no secret what we want to do. You can predict that we have the horsepower to bring it together on the Mall, and we've got the fastest rider in the world. If you can get Cav to two kilometres to go in a bike race, he's going to win. Someone needs to take on the mantle of leadership and Cav's done that. So I'll do whatever job is asked of me. If it's about getting him to 300m to go, I will do it.

You'd put far more money on him than on me. He's been there for me for the last month and now it's his turn.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jul/27/bradley-wiggins-mark-cavendish-london-2012?CMP=twt_gu

Looking forward to the road race tomorrow. Mark Cavendish is odds on favourite to win gold.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #54: Jul 27, 2012 06:11:08 pm
      Fingers crossed for Cav!

Who's going to light the cauldron? Steve Redgrave? Roger Bannister? I think it will be more original than that - maybe a bunch of schoolkids. Looking forward to it nonetheless! Judging by the opinions of those who saw the rehearsal it sounds like Danny Boyle has done a great job.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #55: Jul 27, 2012 07:23:11 pm
      It should be Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards lighting it.

They could set up a ski jump, set him alight using the torch and have him flying through the air, arms and legs flailing about and landing with a thud into the cauldron.

Surely you can see the fatal flaw in that?

You could make the cauldron 90 feet wide and he'd still miss the bloody thing!

Would be funny to see him try, though. If he isn't dead, that is.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #56: Jul 27, 2012 07:47:56 pm
      Really looking forward to the ceremony tonight particularly as it's one of my favourite film directors involved.

Interested to see what Danny Boyle comes up with.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #57: Jul 27, 2012 07:52:03 pm
      What time does it start? I wasn't gonna bother with it, but after reading everything on here, have to watch it now.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #58: Jul 27, 2012 07:57:02 pm
      9PM UK time Kate.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #59: Jul 27, 2012 08:01:26 pm
      Fingers crossed for Cav!

Who's going to light the cauldron? Steve Redgrave? Roger Bannister? I think it will be more original than that - maybe a bunch of schoolkids. Looking forward to it nonetheless! Judging by the opinions of those who saw the rehearsal it sounds like Danny Boyle has done a great job.

Deffo everything crossed for Cav tomorrow!

I'd like to see Daley Thompson light the cauldron.  Another great Olympian who has actually competed in Olympic Stadiums.  Saying that, I would also be made up if it was Steve Redgrave, a true Olympic hero.

Just so long as it's not Beckham, he's done his bit to get the games here but he's not an Olympian.

Not long to wait now!

Kate, it's 9pm UK time.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #60: Jul 27, 2012 08:03:21 pm
      The Olympic Ceremony is based on the British countryside. I expect it to develop into a Tesco Express by midnight.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #61: Jul 27, 2012 08:07:56 pm
      Cheers Si and whyohwhy.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #62: Jul 27, 2012 08:08:18 pm
      Surely you can see the fatal flaw in that?

You could make the cauldron 90 feet wide and he'd still miss the bloody thing!

Would be funny to see him try, though. If he isn't dead, that is.

Haha, fair point.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #63: Jul 27, 2012 08:32:09 pm
      They're previewing the boxing on the beeb.  Team GB apparently looks to have several medal chances.  Sounds like there are a couple of scousers who have a chance.  Captain Tom Stalker is ranked number one in the world.  And Natasha Jones in the women's.  A few other prospects too!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #64: Jul 27, 2012 09:10:10 pm
      Someone on RAWK just went:
      "This is the bestest Hovis advert ever!"

HAHA.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #65: Jul 27, 2012 09:56:32 pm
      Olympics trivia I just read: There was a flyover at 'Hitler's' 1936 Olympics in Berlin. What flew over the stadium?

The Hindenburg.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #66: Jul 27, 2012 10:19:23 pm
      Wasn't to sure about this when it first started, but it's got better and better and I have to say, proud to be British.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #67: Jul 27, 2012 10:23:04 pm
      Prince Philip cheering the Greeks on!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #68: Jul 27, 2012 10:36:39 pm
      Have to say this was unbelievable so far. The industrial revolution start with Kenneth Branagh and all those chimneys and workers was one of the best things I have ever seen and definitely tops anything else I've seen in opening ceremonies. And then the Mike Oldfield and the NHS part was so brilliant.

Too right Ms G - proud to be British.

Quick Reply