Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Liverpool v Standard Liege: Match Thread

Read 17466 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Liverpool v Standard Liege: Match Thread
      Reply #322: Aug 28, 2008 01:12:40 am
      Another typical 'leave it late win' that's starting to become an annoying habit this season.

A lot of players need to realise that they haven't got a god given right to be in the Champions League, or any other competition for that matter. Not only that, they need to realise who they're playing for.

I don't want to hear any players coming out saying they played poorly after tonight because I'm getting a bit sick of hearing it. They should keep their mouths shut from now on and concentrate on playing better as a team rather than telling people what they think we want to hear.

Hats off to all to do with Liege apart from their manager who seems like a relative of the wicked witch Warnock. Their fans were full on tonight and they're a decent side. There were times tonight where you'd think they were the home side.

Players who I feel deserve a mention are El Zhar, Skrtel and Pepe.

The likes of Kuyt and Benayoun - even though played out of position - were worryingly poor. And alright, Kuyt might have got the goal but it doesn't paper over the cracks. Vast improvement is needed. Simple passing, concentration and determination was lacking by a lot of our players.

As already mentioned, we can't keep riding our luck because we'll come unstuck. We have to see a massive improvement against Villa. We wont win anything if we carry on playing like we have done.

Thankfully we're in a better position than we so easily could have been. It's a funny old game isn't it....Well my laughter is half hearted tonight.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #323: Aug 28, 2008 01:13:02 am
      I still think 4 competitive games are not enough to judge Yossi this year. Also we have to remember, last year Rafa almost only played him on the right where he looks much better, and then he suddenly has to play on the left. He has been sh*te so far this season, but Im willing to give him a chance. He is a smart player.

The problem for me though is that Rafa seems to rest inform players and insist on playing out-of-form players like Yossi. Something that definitely is not helping him getting back to his best. Like Pennant, I think they are valuable squad-players. Especially since they never complain about not playing. Unlike so many others would. I think he is worth keeping. But he should be given a break now, and then played on the right, when played.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #324: Aug 28, 2008 01:28:08 am
      Well, I was going to come on here and rave about certain players, rant at Rafa for not using wingers and generally bemoan our performance, but I see that that has already been taken care of. So I'll try something different.

Look at it this way, we're one of only two teams (the other being Chelsea) to have won both their opening fixtures, we're already through to the Champions League group stages, albeit only just, and we haven't even got one of our best players back from the Olympics, and our super captain isn't fully fit. How about a little statistic for you? Rafa has never won back to back opening Prem games in his time at Liverpool, but despite playing so poorly we've managed it this year. And another little bright spot, if anyone remembers playing Graz (Sp?) in 2004-2005, they will remember we were lucky to scrape through there. I'm sure everyone remembers what happened at the end of that particular cup run.

So it's not all doom and gloom, and if we're winning games ugly, I can't wait to see what we can do when we finally play pretty.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #325: Aug 28, 2008 01:46:50 am
      Artaylor, you are right. We need to get about improving however, and we need to do so post-haste.
      El Zhar
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #326: Aug 28, 2008 02:17:00 am
      I think you are El Zhar with that comment :P

Virtually speaking that's true  ;D
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #327: Aug 28, 2008 02:33:55 am
      The funniest part of the match was when Rafa and their manager were arguing with each and Rafa kept using the hand motion of diving. Then when both of them were on the touchline and the Standard manager elbowed Rafa in the side.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #328: Aug 28, 2008 02:39:26 am
      Well we at least we are through but we made hard work of it,still if you can win when not playing well i cant wait til we kick into gear.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #329: Aug 28, 2008 05:33:00 am
      Ill add to what has allready been said over and over again sorry it will make me feel better by venting some rage. Our performace was sh*t nothing different from the 3 previous matches no answer by the players to Rafa's call to improve all aspects of the game. The passing game was fluent for about the first 15 mins out of 120 clearly not good enough. The only players worthy of a pat on the back are Pepe, Carra, Skrterl, El Zar and Arbeloa i thought did well. Watching Xabi play was like eating ice cream with a decayed toothe one moment so sweet, so painful the next. Gerrard is nowhere near even half of himself Torres lacked service badly and Keane looks so lost.

I will also particularly criticise Benayoun yes he did have a descent season playing centre and right last year but just the football basics of controlling and passing a ball are non existent in his game this time around. He is useless defensively and I think we should try and cash in on him within the next few days. I am frustrated to the shithouse with Rafa as to why he says in his post match interview that we need to play with width and speed then he starts the game with two guys who dont have speed and are not natural wingers. Babel was also piss poor i seriously am having doubts over that lad he did well to assist the goal but considering the hype when he signed and being touted as one of the worlds best youngsters I am becoming concerned. I mean ffs how may times in one game can a player step on the ball or fall over it??

Pleased and Thanking God for that result but we must improve.
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #330: Aug 28, 2008 06:46:22 am
      Relief...that's all I can say. Not pretty...but in the end it was effective. Champions find a goal in the last minute...losers don't.

Looking forward to a better performance against Villa.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #331: Aug 28, 2008 07:24:26 am
      As bad as we are playing take nothing from Liege they played out of there skin and defended with there lives, it looked like they were defending 5 to 6 deep at times.

I thought the problem last night was the wings, they seemed to drift too far in-field and hoping that the wing backs would beat there man and cross the ball in Yossi and Kuyt should have been out wide not in the middle all they did was take up space in the center cramping Torres up, you could see Rafa the whole time telling them to get out wide.

All i can say is im just happy we through!!!!

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #332: Aug 28, 2008 07:58:01 am
      Personally I'm getting a little nervous!  :-\

Personally I'm now very releived  :P
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #333: Aug 28, 2008 10:36:06 am
      http://LINK

A distinctly underwhelming display from Liverpool was rescued by the Dutch pairing of Ryan Babel and Dirk Kuyt in the death throes of this UEFA Champions League qualifier against the Belgian champions. talkaloadofbull.com analyses the contributions of the participants...

Liverpool:

Pepe Reina: 9.0 - Invaluable to Liverpool with another string of game-saving stops. His contribution is worth as much as Kuyt’s. Two matches, two shut-outs - flawless.

Alvaro Arbeloa: 7.5 - Better going forward than defending but growing steadily into the role vacated by Steve Finnan. He offers more of an impetus than the Irishman and is a committed, effective performer. Witsel did not have it all his own way on the flank tonight.

Fabio Aurelio: 6.5 - His inclusion was perhaps a surprise but he coped well. Aurelio held the ball well and was efficient in possession. Dalmat gave both he and Dossena a tough time defensively.

Martin Skrtel: 8.0 - A tough customer - Gave Dieumerci Mbokani very little comfort on the ball. He tackled and headed well. He was perhaps out of position once or twice however.

Jamie Carragher: 7.5 - Par for the course from the committed Scouser. His heart is as big as Anfield and he demonstrated the kind of resilience and determination that typifies his Liverpool career.

Xabi Alonso: 6.0 - Looked assured when he was on the ball but did not chase possession enough. Tidy and efficient in his distribution, but the game passed him by for large chunks.

Steven Gerrard: 7.0 - Did not exert the type of influence expected of him at times but was nonetheless to the fore. Looked determined going in both directions. Perhaps he needs to invest in a new pair of shooting boots however.

Dirk Kuyt: 8.0 - His goal could be worth as much as £25million to the club. Flourished when Keane and Benayoun were withdrawn. He has a tendency to be ignored as an attacking entity when on the wing but forced his way into proceedings with a few shots. His contribution to Liverpool in Europe is vital to Rafa Benitez.

Yossi Benayoun: 6.0 - Easy to forget that he was playing. Not his type of game. Liverpool need urgency and pace on the flanks and all too often, the Israeli looked for a little pass or to run inside.

Robbie Keane: 6.0 - Needs a goal and needs one fast. The harder he tries the more desperate he looks. If he forgot about the elusive strike on target and played to his strengths, he would cut a far more relaxed figure. Links well with those around him but needs to calm himself.

Fernando Torres: 7.0 - Not the most effective evening from El Niño. He made some inspiring runs but was afforded little space by Sarr and Onyewu.

Subs:

Damien Plessis: n/a

Nabil El Zhar: 7.0 - Gave Dante a few frights and earned the Brazilian a booking. Has jet-heels but needs a final product. Perhaps should have had a penalty.

Ryan Babel: 6.5 - His cross was inch perfect but came very late. He made no considerable impact before the assist but that will all be forgotten now.

Standard Liege:

Rorys Aragon Espinoza - 8.0 - Had little chance with Kuyt’s goal but did well besides. Looked occasionally butter-fingered but offers a relatively secure last line of defence. Excellent shot-stopper.

Marco Camozzato: 6.5 - Looked tired as the game wore on and was slow to react to Babel’s cross. Had the game finished within 90 minutes, he would have registered an 8.

Dante Bonfim Costa: 6.0 - Jaded as the contest wore on and was forced into untidy errors during extra-time. The change in tack by Benitez meant he had to deal with faster and more mobile wingers in the added 30 minutes.

Oguchi Onyewu: 7.5 - A near flawless display from the big American. He and Sarr have a remarkable understanding as a partnership. He tackles well and competes honestly.

Mohamad Sarr: 7.5 - Like his partner, Sarr is a formidable prospect for attackers and he rarely gave Torres the opportunity to relax. A tight marker and decent challenger.

Steven Defour: 8.0 - A tireless midfielder with good ball usage. Epitomised the work ethic that makes this Liege side such an effective unit.

Maroune Fallaini: 6.0 - Not as prominent as he was in the first leg. Struggled at times to exert his considerable influence. Had one decent first-half opportunity.

Axel Witzel: 6.0 - He was given a tough ride by Arbeloa and Kuyt. He did not have the opportunity to force his way into the game high up the pitch. Nevertheless, he was always available.

Wilfried Dalmat: 7.5 - Expended all his energy over the two legs. A clinical crosser and accurate passer. He also proved tonight to be good all-rounder with some decent tracking-back and tackling.

Dieumerci Mbokani: 8.0 - Could be one of the biggest prospects in the African game. He is blessed with silky skill as well as pace and power.

Igor De Camargo: 6.5 - Wasteful with the half-chances that came his way. He has a tendency to be hurried in front of goal at this level. He could do with improving his awareness.

Subs:

Salim Toema: n/a - Struggled to have an influence and to adapt to the pace of the game.

Milan Jovanovic: 6.0 - Boloni would have wanted a bigger contribution from the Serb. Did not force Carragher or Skrtel into discomfort.
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ____________

Unbiased. Independent. On point.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #334: Aug 28, 2008 10:45:31 am
      For the first time ever, i'm glad i had school. From what i have read, utter sh*t performance again and now Stevie is out with a groin operation. We are truly fu**ed then.

Bloody getting on my nerves that we have continually put in these performances, i cant say much though as i havent seen the match but after that embarrassment in Belgium in the first leg, two 11th hour wins against sh*t teams, i thought we would come out all guns blazing and show everyone why we are where we are.

Atleast we won, rather play sh*t and win then play sh*t and lose.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #335: Aug 28, 2008 11:36:40 am
      Just read 21 pages of this...glad it's over  :f_tongueincheek:

First off, want to say hope everything went well for Ayrton and his missus and number 3 has arrived safely.

I was going to say the same thing as everyone else about the game ...played crap, lucky to get through but we did and in the end that's all that matters at the moment.

Let's just hope we improve before the Villa game otherwise we could be in a bit of trouble.

One thing I want to say is about that crap commentator. I was watching it on Setanta sports must have been the same guy , you guys were talking about Gary Preston...what an idiot. At one stage when Robbie Keane has the ball...he goes and here's Roy Keane.  :-\   .he also said that if we lose this game and we're out of the Champions League then Fernando, Xabi and Benayoun would consider leaving the club...F***ing idiot. :f_steam:

Nabil el Zhar
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | -1 
      Reply #336: Aug 28, 2008 12:30:25 pm

Penalty or not?

koppiteal
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      • CMON THE REDS
      Reply #337: Aug 28, 2008 12:48:43 pm
      In my opinion Arbeloa should be dropped for the next game and Finnan SHOULD be given a run out. He is twice the player Arbeloa is and doesnt mind running up and down the line. ALSO WE NEED WINGERS
      Nabil el Zhar
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | -1 
      Reply #338: Aug 28, 2008 01:09:50 pm

Jose Reina                   8
      Jamie Carragher         7
      Martin Skrtel                   7
      Fabio Aurelio                   7
      Alvaro Arbeloa         7
      Steven Gerrard         7
      Xabi Alonso                   7
      Robbie Keane *         5
      Dirk Kuyt                   7
      Fernando Torres **         6
      Yossi Benayoun ***         5
      Substitutes
      Diego Cavalieri         
      Andrea Dossena         
      Daniel Agger         
      Jay Spearing         
      Damien Plessis (120) **    5
      Ryan Babel (61) ***         7
      Nabil El Zhar (83) *         7

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_facts/0,19762,11065_3040623,00.html

AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #339: Aug 28, 2008 01:35:54 pm

That's the most blatant penalty I have seen in my life! they just didn't know how to deal with young El Zhar.

By all accounts we played very average for a competition which we know demands hard work and dedication from everyone but credit to Liege they once again played a blinder against our first team and I'd hate to think what the score would have been without Reina in goal  :o

Torres looked like he may get a break a few times but Sarr had him well covered, they did what Beskitas should have done last season and maintained there classy home display with another right in front of the kop and that ain't easy! hats off they were alot better than us on the night and if it was not for a bit of double dutch in extra time we could have had a nervy penalty shoot out, and we know Reina should be good with that but their keeper ain't no mug either!

We need to book our ideas up if we are to get through the group stages this year based of that quality of team prior to the groups!
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #340: Aug 28, 2008 01:36:23 pm
      Well I've had time to mull over the performance last night but I'm afraid I can't come up with many positives but here goes.

We won.  In the final analysis that's all that matters.

We have a great goalkeeper when he doesn't go walkabout or leaves crosses he should be dealing with.

The defence wasn't bad and we didn't concede any goals.  Their players ended up scared of going near 'Skittle'.

Torres and Keane are showing some signs of developing an understanding.

Nabil played well when he came on despite the blue boots.

That's about it.

So what are the problems?

The midfield has seriously missed Mascherano.  Half fit Stevie has to hang back and cover the defence as Alonso is certainly not capable of doing this.  This stops Gerrard making his forward runs or picking out the pass that opens the defence for Torres and Keane.  At the moment Alonso doesn't seem capable of making any sort of pass.

Wings.  Well we haven't got any as both players deployed there constantly cut back into a crowded midfield where Yossi frequently lost possession and Kuyt always lost possession.  The narrowing of the play denied any space for Torres or Keane to exploit.

Ryan didn't look like he wanted to be on the pitch when he came on and apart from the cross we scored from he also kept cutting in and narrowing the play.

What do we need to address these problems?  Two world class wingers, a fit Stevie and Mascherano back at his best. 

We can all see we are playing too narrow.  Everyone you talk to comments on our lack of width.  Why haven't we done something about it?  Until we do I can't honestly see us winning anything this season and with only two league games in this is a disheartening thought.

Any thoughts that might brighten my day?

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,281 posts | 2834 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #341: Aug 28, 2008 01:45:51 pm
      Sorry Oldred I cant brighten your day as I have to agree with your asessment. If we havent got wingers then our 2 full backs need to push on and stay wide and they dont do it and its killing us. As you say at the end o the day we won we could easily be in the uefa cup this morning so thats the biggest positive!!
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #342: Aug 28, 2008 01:56:09 pm
      In my opinion Arbeloa should be dropped for the next game and Finnan SHOULD be given a run out. He is twice the player Arbeloa is and doesnt mind running up and down the line. ALSO WE NEED WINGERS

Completely agree, Arbeloa isn't the worst player in the world, but Finnan has got more quality in my opinion... How the ref never gave a Penalty for the tackle on El Zhar is beyond me, the guy just lunges and completely missed the ball!  I'm gutted more so because Liverpool were the only side to let me down on my coupon!
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #343: Aug 28, 2008 01:57:31 pm
      gd result at the end of the day
      i think ALOT of peeps underestiamted Standard Liege
      so no point makin urself feel bad and think how crap we actually played
      lets jsut hope torres and keane click soon
      cuz when they do it might just put a smile on rafas face!!!
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #344: Aug 28, 2008 03:32:47 pm
      Sorry Oldred I cant brighten your day as I have to agree with your asessment. If we havent got wingers then our 2 full backs need to push on and stay wide and they dont do it and its killing us. As you say at the end o the day we won we could easily be in the uefa cup this morning so thats the biggest positive!!

I agree it would be good if the full backs pushed up and gave us some width but with the 'wingers' tucked in that would leave us hopelessly exposed if the attack breaks down.

Quick Reply