Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Liverpool v Standard Liege: Match Thread

Read 17469 times
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Re: Liverpool v Standard Liege: Match Thread
      Reply #345: Aug 28, 2008 03:42:41 pm
      Sorry Oldred I cant brighten your day as I have to agree with your asessment. If we havent got wingers then our 2 full backs need to push on and stay wide and they dont do it and its killing us.

Yossi and Kuyt were terrible in possession so if the full-backs were bombing ahead they would of been caught out of position so many times it would of made things a lot worst.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #346: Aug 28, 2008 05:50:30 pm
      One sentence for me that describes what our biggest problem is
        In 120 minutes only ONE decent cross from deep near the touchline and we scored
        so clearly we are lacking wide and deep going  wingers  Kuyt,Benny, Babel and  all tend to go inwards  most times when they recieve the ball ,very predictable even Nabil
      oftem makes that type of move
        So as every one is saying in here and not ,we need 2 left and right pure wingers who can widen our game
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,283 posts | 2835 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #347: Aug 28, 2008 06:08:52 pm
      Yossi and Kuyt were terrible in possession so if the full-backs were bombing ahead they would of been caught out of position so many times it would of made things a lot worst.

But our own attacks are breaking down because of the lack of width. The time has come for this side to risk being caught in order to score ourselves. In fairness if we do lose the ball we have Mascherano to go get it back and a choice of Carra Agger and Skrtel and Pepe of course who still have to be beaten for the other team to score
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #348: Aug 28, 2008 06:13:17 pm
      so clearly we are lacking wide and deep going  wingers  Kuyt,Benny, Babel and  all tend to go inwards  most times when they recieve the ball

I agree with Kuyt and Benny but Babel is clearly only comfortable with his right foot so hes not going to run to the byline and then cross it in with his left because he knows himself better than anyone and if he feels it will just waste possession then he shouldnt play the cross. He cuts in so much to take it back on his right foot. I think we should try him on the right wing instead.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #349: Aug 29, 2008 12:04:29 am
      Definate penalty! shame it was'nt given because Gerrard could have shown them how its done :D
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #350: Aug 29, 2008 01:09:36 pm
      I swear the Bitters have just drawn Standard Liege in UEFA Cup... hahaha
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #351: Aug 29, 2008 05:08:05 pm
      Andy Townsend face was a picture after the match, I swear he had a face like tripe 'cos we won.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,244 posts | 8576 
      Reply #352: Aug 29, 2008 05:30:33 pm
      Oh well good luck to Liege against them, play like the did against us and they can beat everton.

Also a big up to their support, magnificent and a good bunch, six of them got pissed with a me and a few mates in town, put this way they wanted to be in the ground for 7, I think they eventually got in for 7.45, but even before they left one of them told us this had been the best away game they had been to.

They had been told they had to sit, so of course after we stopped laughing, we told them ignore some of those supposed rules and just support their team. Almost felt a pang of pride when they sang ''You only sing when you're winning.''

Oh and a couple of them were good at taking the piss too!!!
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #353: Aug 29, 2008 11:10:38 pm
      Truthfully.. I could only hear their fans on the telly.. I was a bit concerned at that..
      TBH its probably cos it was such a nervous game for us..

Quick Reply