Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

England Squad vs Andorra/Croatia

Read 8874 times
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      England Squad vs Andorra/Croatia
      Aug 31, 2008 08:54:50 pm
      Odd selections by Capello  ???

Fabio Capello has included Fulham's Jimmy Bullard in his squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

England are set to begin the road to South Africa with a double-header against Andorra and Croatia on 6th and 10th September respectively.

Bullard has never previously been mentioned as an international midfield option but, with established stars such as Liverpool's Steven Gerrard and Manchester United duo Owen Hargreaves and Michael Carrick sidelined, he has been handed a shock opportunity to prove what he is capable of.

There is no place in the 23-man party for Newcastle's Michael Owen despite his goal scoring exploits this term, while Portsmouth's Peter Crouch is another who misses out.

Wigan's Emile Heskey retains his place in the squad and West Ham goalkeeper Robert Green returns from the international wilderness.

England in full:

Goalkeepers: Paul Robinson (Blackburn), David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham)

Defenders: Joleon Lescott (Everton), Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), John Terry (Chelsea), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Matthew Upson (West Ham)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Jimmy Bullard (Fulham), David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), David Bentley (Tottenham), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham)

Forwards: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Jermain Defoe (Portsmouth), Emile Heskey (Wigan)

Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Re: England Squad vs Andorra/Croatia
      Reply #1: Aug 31, 2008 09:55:43 pm
      Is Joe Hart still playing for Youth England team?

Agree, why not to choose Owen. He looks fine in pair with Heskey. They build a good link. Remember that from match with Russia and Latvia. England won both 3-0.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Aug 31, 2008 10:13:16 pm
      Does Capello not like Owen because he never picks him even though he is the only one capable of scoring for england on a regular basis and when he has been chosen he has just been on the bench, its like he does'nt want him to become all time top scorer. Wes brown, jimmy bullard (who by the way is actually german) and Upson should not be in the england team. Upson is sh*te and has had an absolute mare this season and brown is just, well.................... .......... enough said. Bullard being called up late in his career, wont have even played a friendly I think will struggle.

And why no Crouch?, Capello is picking by names even though he said he would'nt, Beckham is past it at this level IMO.

When will England appoint a good manager???

But I dont mind, im only half english so will go and support Malta instead :D
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2008 10:16:34 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #3: Aug 31, 2008 10:27:27 pm
      since Crouch left Liverpool, he has been out of England team.

Agree with you 7-King Kenny-7, if to choose amongst all English strikers Owen is the best. Rooney never has been talented like Owen. Think Crouch and Owen or Heskey would have looked better together!

What pair of strikers will Capello choose for Andorra? May he think it's not worth to use best striker for a team like Andorra?
      Russians were playing badly vs. Andorra their last match before Euro and hardly scored a goal to get to Euro 2008 final stage.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #4: Sep 01, 2008 03:04:27 am
      When will England appoint a good manager???

Who do you think would be a better manager than Capello which England could realistically get?
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #5: Sep 01, 2008 07:38:52 am
      I think its a good line up.

He could not pick Owen, he is still not match fit, and its nice to see Capello leaving players out who are not fit, let them fight for there place.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Jimmy Bullard (Fulham), David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), David Bentley (Tottenham), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham)

The only one I dont like in there is Beckham, he has done well for England, but its time to say bye bye.

Forwards: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Jermain Defoe (Portsmouth), Emile Heskey (Wigan)

Think it will be Rooney and Heskey up front, but I would have liked to see Heskey and Defoe.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #6: Sep 01, 2008 10:35:04 am
      I must admit I find it somewhat comical that both Crouch and Owen are not in the England team after citing this desire as one of their reason's to leave Liverpool.

Michael Owen.  Had it. Blew it.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #7: Sep 01, 2008 01:23:09 pm
      Bring back Sven!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #8: Sep 01, 2008 02:17:08 pm
      I must admit I find it somewhat comical that both Crouch and Owen are not in the England team after citing this desire as one of their reason's to leave Liverpool.

He should of looked at Phil Neville, the guy was average and got like 40-50 caps when he played for United and as soon as he went to Everton where he was pretty much the same talent wise he doesn't get a look in.

I was watching news today and Capello said he never picked Owen was because of lack of fitness, if he is telling the truth or simply making up something well you can be the judge. 
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #9: Sep 01, 2008 07:50:56 pm
      He should of looked at Phil Neville, the guy was average and got like 40-50 caps when he played for United and as soon as he went to Everton where he was pretty much the same talent wise he doesn't get a look in.

I was watching news today and Capello said he never picked Owen was because of lack of fitness, if he is telling the truth or simply making up something well you can be the judge. 

Don't you think he wouldn't pick Gerrard even not really fit?
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #10: Sep 06, 2008 10:56:44 pm
      Croatia 3 Karzakstan 0
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #11: Sep 06, 2008 11:00:23 pm

Michael Owen.  Had it. Blew it.

Crouch was still getting called from Liverpool FC bench. Now Dafoe gets to play and Crouch is not even there (?) sad. It's on him though.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #12: Sep 07, 2008 06:28:10 am
      Croatia absoulutely mauled Kazakstan it was fukn superb footy great movement and great passing will absoluteky destroy England. I mean when will England learn calling up Becham ffs move on..
      chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #13: Sep 07, 2008 03:15:17 pm
      Well 0-2 against Andorra was a shi** result, you look at our players and look at theirs we should maul them, Croatia is the one wednesday lads though!!!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #14: Sep 07, 2008 03:20:57 pm
      England will get beat on wednesday - just a shame Gary Neville's not playing!!
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #15: Sep 07, 2008 03:29:31 pm

Yeah agree.Sven was better because he picked the best players and the most famous players.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #16: Sep 07, 2008 04:22:15 pm
      England will get beat on wednesday - just a shame Gary Neville's not playing!!

:lmao:

I like it!

I only seen the last 20 mins of last nights game. I wish I hadn't bothered. I was practically falling asleep then swapped over to watch Argentina.

Croatia absoulutely mauled Kazakstan it was fukn superb footy great movement and great passing will absoluteky destroy England. I mean when will England learn calling up Becham ffs move on..

I reckon you's will give us a good lesson in football again mate.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #17: Sep 08, 2008 03:29:35 am
      I am hoping so lad we have never lost at Maksimir and it has become a cauldron for visiting teams it will be super electrifying because a big team like England is playing and there is nothing better then beating England. I hope some does in that ugly f**ker Rooney too .
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #18: Sep 08, 2008 01:16:49 pm
       :gt-happyup:
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #19: Sep 08, 2008 03:21:48 pm
      Bilic unimpressed by 'predictable' England

Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has begun the mind games ahead of the crucial World Cup qualifier against England in Zagreb by labelling Fabio Capello's side as 'predictable' and that he 'expects' his side to win the group and qualify automatically for the finals.
      Slaven Bilic

Picture/AFP

Slaven Bilic 'expects' group success
      And Bilic also revealed some of the bizarre tactics he uses to coax the best out of his players, including lying in bed with his star players.

Although both England and Croatia have only played one qualifier, Wednesday night's game is already seen as having a huge influence on the final outcome.

Both teams had unspectacular victories over Kazhakstan and Andorra at the weekend and will hope for an improved performance in midweek.

Croatia appear to have the Indian sign over England after winning both clashes in qualifying for Euro 2008. Bilic's victory at Wembley also sent Steve McClaren's side crashing out of the tournament and cost the coach his job.

With Fabio Capello at the help many had expected a bright new future for the England team but that is yet to materialise and Bilic feels he will again come out on top. In October 2006, Croatia beat England 2-0 courtesy Eduardo and a calamitous Gary Neville own goal.

Bilic told The Sun: 'England can't play good football because they play predictable football. I don't know why. I would know that if I was training with them and speaking to them.

'As a national team manager you have to talk to them. If I was England manager I would find out because, really, I don't know why they sometimes perform nowhere near what they can.

'No one is fearing England. 'If anyone should be worried about Wednesday, it's England.

'I expect us to win the group. I expected that two years ago and now definitely so. My team is definitely better than the one that beat England twice.'

Former West Ham and Everton defender Bilic went on to outline the unusual methods he uses to get the best of out his players.

'Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players,' he revealed. 'I go to the room of (Vedran) Corluka and (Luka) Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes.

'You have to do it. Sometimes football managers think 'If you do that you're losing the distance and the authority'. No, you're gaining.'

:f_tongueincheek:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #20: Sep 08, 2008 06:43:37 pm
      Here's one for all you big England fans.

Commemorative England - Croatia shirts

http://www.football-kit.org.uk/kits/england-v-croatia-half-price-england-shirts.html
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #21: Sep 08, 2008 06:44:43 pm

No wonder they're half price  ;) :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #22: Sep 08, 2008 06:54:23 pm

Touche Smigger.  The 'special shirts' aren't half price.  The normal England ones are.

Might go up in value if England get their first convincing win of the century ;)

Actually the infants kits for £13.49 are actually a bargain to be fair.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #23: Sep 08, 2008 06:56:19 pm
      Embarrassing wasn't a strong enough word for Saturday's result. I know we won, but it was Andorra for fucks sake. Hardly the greatest nation in world football. We were constantly short of ideas and if that was the best group of players available to Fabio Capello then I'm the king of the England.

Croatia will give us another footballing lesson in a couple of days and I just hope we can find some form to come away with a draw. Ferdinand going over there in place of Lescott? Another shocking decision by Capello. Even if he does play for Everton, Lescott is one of the best defenders we have in that current squad, get rid of Ashley Cole who is highly overrated anyway and put Lescott at left back.

Early into his Englan career but Capello will not win England the world cup and we'll be mighty lucky to qualify from this group. I think Croatia will win the group, easily and we'll come second and fail in the play-offs. A world cup without England...oh the joys of the 2010 summer.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #24: Sep 11, 2008 01:31:18 am
      I am hoping so lad we have never lost at Maksimir and it has become a cauldron for visiting teams it will be super electrifying because a big team like England is playing and there is nothing better then beating England. I hope some does in that ugly f**ker Rooney too .

Records are there to be broken! ;)

Quick Reply