Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Pressure RBS?

Read 13148 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Pressure RBS?
      Sep 03, 2008 10:02:24 pm
      « Last Edit: Sep 04, 2008 01:53:53 pm by County_Rd_Kopite »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Pressure RBS?
      Reply #1: Sep 03, 2008 10:05:40 pm
      F**k, all my debt/insurance is with other companies  >:(

But great idea for everyone else to do their part  ;) 
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2: Sep 03, 2008 10:17:48 pm
      I'm not with any of those either, and I certainly won't involve myself with any of those insurance companies if it's helping the Reds! ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #3: Sep 03, 2008 10:39:37 pm
      Well I've got a Mint card and my car is with Direct Line. So I'll have to speak for you pair!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Sep 03, 2008 11:06:18 pm
      Well I've got a Mint card and my car is with Direct Line. So I'll have to speak for you pair!

You're a true gent! ;)

Any other takers, because I'm sure a nice 'we're going to stop giving you money' message would really make them think twice about funding the yanks prolonged stay in our city.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #5: Sep 03, 2008 11:07:49 pm
      Not with them. Good idea though!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Sep 03, 2008 11:08:09 pm
      I'm sure all these groups have feedback sections.

Even if people don't have accounts they could still get in touch to say why they're put off by their products?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #7: Sep 03, 2008 11:20:53 pm
      I'm sure all these groups have feedback sections.

Even if people don't have accounts they could still get in touch to say why they're put off by their products?

They do indeed, right here. Time to give them a piece of my mind.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #8: Sep 03, 2008 11:42:03 pm
      Just left a message of disagreement. Hopefully more will do the same? ;)

I can't hit them in the pocket, but I'd love it for us to make an impact an they f*ck the Yanks off! ;)
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #9: Sep 04, 2008 02:15:29 am
      I dont use any of their services but I'm planning to write something like that:

"I was thinking of signing up for an account at Natwest. But after knowing that it was part of RBS I have had second thoughts. I am a liverpool fc fan and I do not think that RBS helping Gillette and Hicks is in the best interest of the Liverpool fc club. I therefore will not use any RBS services until it stops its support to two people who are destroying my football club."
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #10: Sep 04, 2008 02:17:42 am
      I dont use any of their services but I'm planning to write something like that:

"I was thinking of signing up for an account at Natwest. But after knowing that it was part of RBS I have had second thoughts. I am a liverpool fc fan and I do not think that RBS helping Gillette and Hicks is in the best interest of the Liverpool fc club. I therefore will not use any RBS services until it stops its support to two people who are destroying my football club."

Sounds good mate! ;)

If a load of people wrote something like that I'm guessing we may have an effect!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #11: Sep 04, 2008 02:43:22 am
      Sounds good mate! ;)

If a load of people wrote something like that I'm guessing we may have an effect!

Absolutely. It's a shame this notion wasn't in place a lot sooner.

Where as Hicks and Gillett couldn't care less about 'their customers', RBS and everything else attached to it will certainly have a slight concern about their own custom.

If this is to have any real impact though, the message to real LFC fans needs to be put out there.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #12: Sep 04, 2008 04:43:31 am
      Okay, I sent them a nicely-worded complaint. It strongly expresses my views, but I feel I'm not being too harsh on them:

"Dear sirs,
           I am worried that you will be offering Mr T. Hicks & Mr G. Gillette another refinancing package on the 25th January 2009. This deeply concerns and bothers me, both as a Liverpool FC supporter, and a potential customer.

I am writing to inform you, however, that you will receive very little, or no custom from me in the future as long as you continue to finance the aforementioned. You at the Royal Bank of Scotland, I imagine, will be taking our views into consideration - because which caring and considerate company wouldn't?

Also, please take into account that it is not only us fans who are losing out, but you aswell. Your reputation could be at stake here, both in and out of Merseyside, which I am certain is far from beneficial on your behalf.

I am just one of many expressing my concern over this situation, and I pray that you make the right decision. Thank you for your time."
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #13: Sep 04, 2008 09:12:02 am
      I sent this:

I am writing to inform you that there is a growing movement calling for a boycott of all RBS products from fans of Liverpool FC.
      As you are probably aware, LFC is owned by Tom Hicks and George Gillett.  It has become apparent that these two cannot provide the finances required to run this club and all of the money they have spent, including the initial purchase of the club, has been money loaned by (in part) yourselves.  They took over a club which had around ÂŁ45m of debt and turned that into a ÂŁ350m debt.  This has made supporters the world over extremely nervous.

The call is for LFC supporters to refuse to use/stop using all products and services from you and your group.  This would include banking - NatWest, First Active, etc.; Credit Cards - MINT; finance - Lombard, Tesco Finance; Insurance - Churchill, Direct Line, etc.

In this time of 'Global Credit Crunch' companies like yours will need to fight for every last customer, competition is fierce.  Your company suffered quite a downturn this year, alhough still had an extremely healthy profit.  Imagine the effect of thousands (to start with) of people refusing to use your brands.  Bank accounts being closed, insurance being bought elsewhere, mortgages being moved.  Money is tight for everyone but we are prepared to spend a few pounds more to show how we feel, to help the club we are passionate about.

You are a worldwide company.  Liverpool FC is the best supported football team on Earth, with fans all over the world.  This call to our fellow fans is growing, the internet means we have reached many parts of the world already.  This is being initiated by the Spirit of Shankly supporters group and is spreading across internet forums all over the world.

We understand that the loan with you is due for review/repayment around January.  This is when supporters will act, when you have made you intentions known.  If they get the refinancing by your company, the boycott will begin.

You have to decide which you would prefer:
      A loan with two people who have already shown what poor businessmen they are?  Who have repeatedly failed to gain finance elsewhere and are looking likely to be unable to pay you in January - why else do they need to refinance?
      Or the continuation of support for you companies by LFC fans?

I personally have no business with you but currently, but my cars need insurance in March and my mortgage 'Fixed Term' period is up in July and I will look to switch.  If your companies have added to the misery of LFC supporters by helping Hicks and Gillett I will definately not use RBS.
      If, on the other hand, your company has helped Liverpool FC to throw off the shackles of bad, incompetent ownership the positive publicity amongst LFC supporters ccould only do your business good.

This is not a vindictive campaign.  Hicks and Gillett have had many offers already which would see them walk away with a huge profit.  They refuse to accept them despite their inability to make LFC a profitable business.  Their whole business plan revolves around them building a new stadium.  They have not started this yet despite being in charge for 18 months.

Please also be assured that LFC supporters are hitting LFC financially where they can; refusing to buy merchandise from the club and generally doing everything in our power to remove these two from the club.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #14: Sep 04, 2008 09:24:28 am
      This is a great idea and brilliantly worded complaints Reslivo and Shay ;)

I had no idea Ulster Bank was owned by the RBS and that is the bank I am currently with.  I'm damn sure I'll be giving them some feedback but I'm not sure how much it could do.  The word would need to spread for it to have any serious effect on them.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #15: Sep 04, 2008 09:39:36 am
      ^^ Those are three fantastically worded statements chaps.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #16: Sep 04, 2008 10:55:51 am
      Well done guys, hope it works  ;) 
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #17: Sep 04, 2008 02:12:32 pm
      Definitely! Excellent stuff that!

Can anyone feel something big going off? ;)

aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #18: Sep 04, 2008 04:13:01 pm
      Great stuff indeed. PS dont forget to mention about boycotting the 6 Nations Rugby which is sponsered by RBS.
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Reply #19: Sep 04, 2008 04:46:11 pm
      Spirit Of Shankly - Meeting Saturday 6th September 2008- 1pm

Spirit Of Shankly, the Liverpool Supporters' Union, would like to invite all members, and non member wishing to join and take part, to a specially convenened meeting next Saturday 6th September. The meeting will take place in the Liverpool Supporters' Club on Lower Breck Road, Anfield, and will start at 1pm.

The American owners have hit yet another stumbling block in their attempts to further burden our club with debt, this time for the stadium. We need to increase the pressure on them further, to force them into a sale, and out of our club. There will be a number of ideas proposed, one including targeting those who have financed Tom Hicks' and George Gillett's ownership of the club - Royal Bank of Scotland.

But there are more ideas out there. So let's come together. Give your ideas. Let's force Hicks and Gillett out.

Spirit Of Shankly

Agenda: Spirit Of Shankly - Meeting Saturday 6th September 2008

Please find the Agenda for Saturday’s meeting below. The Agenda is subject to change before the meeting.

1. Introduction & Welcome - Paul Rice

2. Admin Update - Update on memberships- Jay McKenna

-Update on Newsletter – Fran Stanton

3. Events update - Michael Shields Fundraising Night and Bucket Collection - Ste Monoghan

4. Travel Update - Alan Kayll

5. Update on present Situation regarding Ownership (inc. Rick Parry meeting) - Paul Rice

6. Action

Propose RBS idea

Open to floor for Feedback and other suggestions.

7. Any Other Business and Questions

Close

Well in for those letters top class effort lads, a boycott of RBS has'nt been decided yet formally by Spirit of Shankly, were having a meeting to decide the best course of action.

kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      Reply #20: Sep 04, 2008 04:49:53 pm
      A statement from Spirit of Shankly re:RBS from the Echo.

"We would encourage RBS to withdraw any future financial support for G&H, in their attempt to burden LFC with more debt. Should the owners come back asking again for money to finance the stadium we ask them to refuse, as it goes against the wishes of the vast majority of Liverpool fans.
      We would also urge RBS to reconsider its position with regards to the current loan they have with G&H. This is due for re-financingin early 2009 and we know that RBS has the final say on re-financing.
      We ask them to refuse the American owners request on behalf of all LFC fans" 
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      an open letter to RBS?
      Reply #21: Sep 05, 2008 01:48:34 pm
      Spirit of Shankly call to Liverpool FC bank
      Sep 5 2008 by Vicki Kellaway, Liverpool Echo

A FANS’ group has written to a bank urging it to stop supporting Liverpool FC.

The Spirit of Shankly group has asked Royal Bank of Scotland and its shareholders to withdraw backing for the club because of the way it is run by owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

In an open letter, it accused the pair of issuing false promises to fans and claimed they had neither the “competence or ability” to achieve their business plan.

The letter said: “We urge the bank . . . to show it respects a great institution and cares about the people of Liverpool, by withdrawing its support to the current shareholders of Liverpool FC forthwith.”

Full transcript:

Open letter to the Chief Executive & shareholders of the RBS

We write as the concerned voice of a great many supporters of Liverpool Football Club. Many of our number are also customers of the Royal Bank of Scotland.

It has become apparent to a wide range of experts that the business model, set in place by the current owners of Liverpool Football Club, George Gillett and Tom Hicks, for taking forward this historic institution, and community pillar, is not a viable one.

The American consortium, substantially backed by the RBS, has continually issued false promises to the club’s supporters - it’s key constituency and ‘customer base’. We no longer have faith in their competence or ability to meet the commitments of their business plan, and we believe, that from a financial perspective, they are fundamentally harming the value of the club.

The value of the club going forward is inextricably linked to the success of its team on the pitch, and the revenues its accomplishments can yield. Key to these revenues is constant participation in the world’s premier football club tournament, the Champions League. These revenues, in normal circumstances, should never be taken for granted, as the vagaries of ‘the game’ dictate that relying on income from this tournament is an extremely risky strategy to pursue (witness the debacle at Leeds United over the last few years).

The Hicks and Gillett model has clearly been grounded in the club ultimately generating significant new revenues from the extra capacity provided by a new stadium for the club. At present they have no way to fund the development of such a stadium, despite having committed to doing so as far back as April 2007. By their own confession, only a week ago, the project of building a new stadium for LFC is now indefinitely on hold.

Therefore, what can the value of the club be going forward ? Reliance on ongoing Champions League qualification is a ludicrously risky anchor to any football club business plan, and has been further exposed as such, by this week’s developments at Manchester City, whereby a new ‘force’ has emerged in the world game, that, as things stand, will inevitably be to the detriment of Liverpool FC, and push it further down football’s revenue seeking ‘pecking order’.

That Hicks and Gillett are still in situ is largely down to the financial support they are receiving from the RBS, albeit tempered by widely reported 6 monthly re-evaluation stipulations that reflect that it is nervous as to the viability of their plan for LFC.

This ‘wait and see’ stance from the bank would be understandable if the world financial markets were sound, and prospects good. Yet prevailing conditions are the worst in many a financial expert’s living memory. Moreover, and crucially, the bank and the owners are aware that, there exists, in the market, a ready and willing buyer for Liverpool FC. A buyer, it must be stressed, who is prepared to pay above the market rate, and deliver to the existing shareholders a sizeable profit on an investment that is barely 18 months old, on a business that is increasingly proving itself to be barely solvent.

In procrastinating, the RBS is taking an unacceptable reputational and financial risk, not only to the Anfield constituency and Liverpool FC, but even, surely, to it’s own shareholders. Should the Dubai based offer disappear, then meltdown for the club, and in turn it’s value, is a very real prospect.

Ready alternative buyers are not in the market. If the owners remain at the helm, it is highly likely, as they have no prospect of generating the required investment, that the club will not build it’s new stadium, nor continue to qualify for it’s revenue ‘lifeline’, the Champioms league tournament. Its status in the world game will decline swiftly, and it’s turnover plummet. As a knock on consequence the Anfield area of Liverpool, will see it’s prospects of regeneration delayed, if not shelved, indefinitely.

We, the supporters of Britain’s most successful football club, and one of the top 3 best supported clubs in the world, would ask those in the positions of the highest authority at the RBS :

‘How can you justify artifically propping up such a clearly unsound business plan, and jeopardise the future, not only of such an historic football club and it’s worldwide legion of supporters, but also set back, possibly for decades, the prospects of the people of Anfield, Liverpool 4, for whom the criminally long-overdue regeneration of their locality is intrinsically linked to the development of a major new stadium for Liverpool FC’.

We find the RBS stance indefensible in the face of the weight of the evidence, and in the light of the fact that, in Sheik Mohammed’s consortium’s bid, a ready solution exists. We urge the bank, in the strongest terms to show it respects a great institution, and cares about the people of Liverpool, by withdrawing it’s support to the current shareholders of Liverpool FC, forthwith, and persuading them to accept the offer on the table from the Dubai based group.

The Spirit of Shankly – Liverpool Supporters Union

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Š Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #22: Sep 05, 2008 03:09:14 pm
      Excellent letter that, Kingjari, really well worded.

Let's hope it has them quaking in their boots! ;)
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #23: Sep 05, 2008 06:17:02 pm
      Lets hope the RBS take this on board and act on it.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #24: Sep 05, 2008 07:45:08 pm
      Good Luck with it..........let's hope the powers that be, sit up and take notice.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #25: Sep 06, 2008 12:38:48 am
      Very good letter, I'm sure who ever wrote it thinks they are a big smart-arse, however.

A more simple reminder that a protest of Natwest, RBS, Direct Line etc would ensue if they failed to heed our warning would have been more powerful, especially to their shareholders.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,529 posts | 33 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #26: Sep 09, 2008 12:42:30 pm
      Please also be assured that LFC supporters are hitting LFC financially where they can; refusing to buy merchandise from the club and generally doing everything in our power to remove these two from the club.

I will use this and do likewise.  It will really mess me up but I guess its the sacrifice I and many others have to make.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #27: Sep 09, 2008 08:30:29 pm
      Hi mates, I've just found this thread. I am currently a long standing customer of RBS, but I will be writing to them to inform them that if they continue to support H&G with refinancig in 2009, I shall close my account with them immediately.I will also make them aware of the damage that is being done to my football club ,(which I have supported for over 40 years), by the current ownership.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #28: Sep 10, 2008 08:00:35 pm
      Just renewed my car insurance ,left Churchill and went with Nationwide. only to find  out its  still with bloody Churchill, so pissed off. when i complained the lady said that they don't actually do insurance and that they are only a broker. thought i should mention it in-case someone makes the same mistake. Ask first?
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #29: Sep 10, 2008 08:50:55 pm
      Think this is a great idea should have been started earlier, just sent of my complaint i do have a card with them and have not used it for a while and told them this is the reason i have not,on masse we really could get something going here .
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #30: Jun 05, 2009 10:55:46 pm
      Bumping this. People need to get some letters in ASAP to stop them refinancing those two morons.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #31: Jun 05, 2009 11:23:05 pm

Quick Reply