Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Anyone live in any Scottish Islands?

Read 1527 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Anyone live in any Scottish Islands?
      Sep 07, 2008 08:19:59 pm
      My mother is thinking of buying property in the Shetland Islands but to me that is the middle of nowhere. Yeah a very lovely place I'm sure but it's looks like there is absolutely nothing around.

Could anyone advise some good places to live (somewhere not too expensive) and obviously up north is a far cheaper option than down south.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Anyone live in any Scottish Islands?
      Reply #1: Sep 07, 2008 08:23:09 pm
      As a holiday home, or moving permanently?
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2: Sep 07, 2008 08:23:37 pm
      RaRa, I don't think its up to us to advise your mum where she wants to live  ;)    Whats appealing to us might not be to your mum, as you've just proven !

Maybe she wants to be away from it all for a bit of peace and quiet  ;)  Is she taking you with her ?
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #3: Sep 07, 2008 09:05:32 pm
      RaRa, I don't think its up to us to advise your mum where she wants to live  ;)    Whats appealing to us might not be to your mum, as you've just proven !

Maybe she wants to be away from it all for a bit of peace and quiet  ;)  Is she taking you with her ?

Well I'm going into training hopefully so I won't be living at home. My sister will be living in California doing her media so maybe she will be moving there on her own. She has family up north but not that far up north.

As a holiday home, or moving permanently?

Permantently, will not be a holiday home. Holiday homes should be somewhere like Spain ;D
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #4: Sep 07, 2008 09:21:34 pm
      Well I'm going into training hopefully so I won't be living at home. My sister will be living in California doing her media so maybe she will be moving there on her own. She has family up north but not that far up north.

Permantently, will not be a holiday home. Holiday homes should be somewhere like Spain ;D

What you training for Ra Ra ?  and will you be moving away as well ?   
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #5: Sep 08, 2008 07:13:21 am
      I lived on the most northerly Shetland Island, Unst, for a couple of years in the 90s.  There's not much there tbh.

If she decides to live in the capital, Lerwick, it is a small but lively town.  It has everything you could need, shopping-wise.

The people are very nice - but they don't like the Scottish.  They don't see themselves as Scottish, either British or Shetlanders.

Obviously it is cold up there.  It never gets past 20 degrees even on the best of days and I've seen the snow 12 foot deep.

She needs to have a visit up there before she decides IMO.  She can get a ferry from Aberdeen (if she wants to take her car) or fly from Aberdeen, Edinburgh os Glasgow.

By the way, I spent a bit of time in the Outer Hebrides as well.  The Shetlands are the better of the two.

Tell her good luck if she decides to go.  I really enjoyed my time there, but I was single and spent most of it partying.

Quick Reply