Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

John Barnes named new manager!

Read 3071 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      John Barnes named new manager!
      Sep 18, 2008 01:30:16 pm
      Of Jamaica!

His suits are going to go down a treat over there!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Re: John Barnes named new manager!
      Reply #1: Sep 18, 2008 02:55:55 pm
      They are playing in the same qualification group as my country (Canada) in world cup qualifying. They are pretty much out of it after getting 1 point from the first 3 games. So really he has a up hill battle.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #2: Sep 18, 2008 03:23:02 pm
      They are playing in the same qualification group as my country (Canada) in world cup qualifying. They are pretty much out of it after getting 1 point from the first 3 games. So really he has a up hill battle.

Sure he will be back on Channel 5 soon then.

Following the sacking last week of Brazilian Rene Simoes, the Jamaican FA has turned its hopes to favourite son John Barnes. The former Liverpool star, capped 79 times for England, but born in Kingston will take over the reins of the struggling national team in November after signing a one-year contract.

''I've been trying to get back into football for many years and it had proved difficult," said Barnes, one of the Caribbean region's most famous footballing exports. ''This was an opportunity for me to get back into football at a coaching level, which I love doing.

''Managing Jamaica is not the same as managing England," added Barnes, who briefly managed Celtic. "But football is football, you've got to motivate your players, you've got to get them organised and to try and win football matches.''

The Jamaicans have started poorly in their qualifying section in the North, Central American and Caribbean zone for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africaâ„¢. After three games, the Reggae Boyz are joint-bottom after losses to Honduras and Mexico. The only bright spot so far was a 1-1 draw with Canada in Toronto.

Slim hopes

With three games to go, all at home, the Jamaicans are still alive in the hunt for a spot in the region's final ‘hexagonal' qualifying group, it will take a Herculean effort. Honduras are on six points and Mexico have a perfect nine from three games.

With only the top two teams from the three preliminary groups booking their passage to the final round, Jamaican hopes are dimming by the day. But the powers that be in the island's football association are hoping that the appointment of Barnes, who will begin his one-year contract in November, will turn things around.

''When an icon like John Barnes becomes the coach of Jamaica's Reggae Boyz' team, immediately the international spotlight will shine on Jamaica in every single aspect of the sport,'' remarked Jamaica FA president Horace Burrell.

Jamaica's next qualifier is next month at home against Mexico, but Barnes' first game in charge will not come until the final Group B game on 19 November against Canada. Jamaica could well be eliminated from the hunt for South Africa 2010 by then.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #3: Sep 18, 2008 03:31:48 pm
      Good luck Barnesy

Has been after a coaching or managerial position for a while, so hope he does well.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #4: Sep 18, 2008 04:08:12 pm
      Well he's only got one game in charge by the looks of things!

Why November?

Has he got a busy diary next month?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #5: Sep 19, 2008 06:55:17 pm
      good luck Digger. Football needs Jamaica, they know how to party.
      N-I Red
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts | -3 
      Reply #6: Sep 23, 2008 07:41:54 pm
      good luck barnesy

Quick Reply