Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Is it OK to eat thread?

Read 34391 times
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Re: Is it OK to eat thread?
      Reply #184: Nov 15, 2011 09:02:15 am
      Funnily enough we've got a jar of that sauce in the cupboard.

Expiry date is January 2013 tho.

Are we bollocks eating it though! ;)

Joey sounds like he is up for a challenge.

I'm alive!! F***ing nice it was too. It's addictive this cheating death malarkey. :D

Go on Joey I will chip in a pound for your medical expenses.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #185: Nov 15, 2011 09:19:29 am
      Bump. :D

New Covent Garden Butternut Squash and Bacon soup. Went off yesterday but it sounds too nice to waste. :D
      They reckon thats all bollocks Joey about sell by dates, it's a very approximate time scale and if there are no obvious signs like discolouring, bad smells, maggots etc its down your neck with the gear.
      There was that prog on the TV when this fella had to live on benefits and scavenge when the dosh ran out - bit extreme I know but he was off round the back of the supermarket in the skips searching out the untouched items that had been lashed cos they were past their sell by or very near. There were more people scavin than there were at the tills, the lad took the gear home and cooked it up it was ok. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #186: Nov 15, 2011 09:29:20 am
      There is a bit of difference between Best Before and Use by dates.

Crisps are a fine example - not going to kill you but will taste like cardboard.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #187: Nov 15, 2011 10:38:38 am
      I don't know what all the fuss is about. A bit of botulism never killed anyone.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #188: Nov 15, 2011 01:07:14 pm
      There is a bit of difference between Best Before and Use by dates.

Crisps are a fine example - not going to kill you but will taste like cardboard.
      Crisps are indeed a fine example, arl crisps are F***ing awful all the're good for is dunking in scouse or soup.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #189: Nov 15, 2011 06:36:44 pm
      It's only there to stop companies getting sued. Plus they probably add a day or so on to stop divvies like us doing ourselves any damage. :D

Joey sounds like he is up for a challenge.

Go on Joey I will chip in a pound for your medical expenses.

Sounds like a challenge. ;D

Not beating the old Marmite I found in me Mum's fridge. It was a good 8 years past it's Use By Date. Still tasted pretty normal though to be honest.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #190: Nov 16, 2011 09:31:26 pm
      Best before is a suggestion.

Use by is an instruction, but generally has a 12-24 hour "grace" period.

Don't forget, that the most common food poisoning bacteria is found naturally on 75% (at least) of people, staphylococcus aureus (sp?) and is found around the nose, hair, fingernails etc
      In other words, all the places where people wash less often or less vigorously - it's easy to protect against, and even though it reproduces very quickly by binary fission (asexual reproduction of its own DNA) it is quite easy to get rid of simply by following good hygiene when cooking.

Clostridium botulinum (botulism) is a different matter and is a VERY powerfull neuro toxin, which can kill very quickly.
      Most sauces and tinned foods are subjected to a "botulinum cook" before being sealed, and if a very rigorous process is not followed, then botulinum will still be present, because it is a spore forming agent, and the spores will not be destroyed unless food is cooked at a minimum temp for a set period (usually 121 degrees C for at least 3 mins) which I assume is what went wrong with the lloyd grossman sauces.

I have RIPHH diplomas in food safety and hygiene - in fact if I do one more I would be qualified as a health inspector.
      « Last Edit: Nov 16, 2011 09:42:54 pm by KennyIsKing »
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #191: Nov 16, 2011 09:59:10 pm
      This one is drink rather than eat.

My house is bloody freezing but I must have had about a gallon of tea at work so decided a nice hot juice might be a better idea. I rummaged through my cupboards and found half a bottle of Ribena.

On the bottle it says, 'Once opened, consume within 21 days'. I don't recall buying the juice but I do know it has been opened for at least 3 months.

As you may have guessed, I've already started drinking it but what are your thoughts? Never heard of anyone being ill from out of date juice before.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #192: Nov 16, 2011 10:09:44 pm
      This one is drink rather than eat.

My house is bloody freezing but I must have had about a gallon of tea at work so decided a nice hot juice might be a better idea. I rummaged through my cupboards and found half a bottle of Ribena.

On the bottle it says, 'Once opened, consume within 21 days'. I don't recall buying the juice but I do know it has been opened for at least 3 months.

As you may have guessed, I've already started drinking it but what are your thoughts? Never heard of anyone being ill from out of date juice before.

Should be OK if it's hot, but make sure you use boiling water to dilute, or better still, mix the juice with boiling water then give it 30 secs in the microwave.
      Acidity can also be an issue with certain bacteria, and most fruit juice is acidic, so give it a good old nuke.

The problem with fruit juices is that they can start to ferment, and some of them have some very nasty microbes as a by product of the fermentation.

Leave half a carton of OJ or any other juice for a few weeks, outside of the fridge, then pour it into a bucket or bowl, and you'll see what I mean - you can literally smell the fermentation (which isn't limited to making alcohol ;)  )
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #193: Nov 16, 2011 10:12:43 pm
      Cheers, KiK. I mixed it with boiling water so hopefully it'll be ok.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #194: Aug 19, 2014 07:11:32 pm
      BUMP!

Rice fusions Egg Fried Rice. It specifically says "do not pierce the bag". Well it was all frozen together so I was trying to break it up a bit and the bag then popped, taking the "do not pierce" to a whole new level. I listened to me mam and put the rice in the microwave upside down with a bowl over the top. I took precautions and nuked it for a minute longer than it says too. You may be wondering where the upside down part came from, well, it has a green bit at the top of the pyramid bag that it says to have at the top but in this case had to go at the bottom.

It was piping hot when it came out the bag and onto the plate but the fact it was egg fried rice and the bag wasn't sealed as it should be has got me thinking.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #195: Aug 19, 2014 07:57:21 pm
      Anyone?! Unhelpful bunch of gets!
      LFCexiled
      Reply #196: Aug 19, 2014 08:03:48 pm

Do you have to eat it? Do you live with old mother hubbard? Why take the chance with egg?

Eat some dry bread.

Or, catch a pigeon.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #197: Aug 19, 2014 08:11:20 pm
      Do you have to eat it? Do you live with old mother hubbard? Why take the chance with egg?

Eat some dry bread.

Or, catch a pigeon.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #198: Aug 19, 2014 09:54:37 pm
      Nail it. It won't be in you for too long and JD is still with us since the OP. Just keep an eye on his side effects for any future reference. What happens to him happens to you in six years.

PS, how funny is this thread? :D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #199: Aug 19, 2014 10:13:37 pm
      BUMP!

Rice fusions Egg Fried Rice. It specifically says "do not pierce the bag". Well it was all frozen together so I was trying to break it up a bit and the bag then popped, taking the "do not pierce" to a whole new level. I listened to me mam and put the rice in the microwave upside down with a bowl over the top. I took precautions and nuked it for a minute longer than it says too. You may be wondering where the upside down part came from, well, it has a green bit at the top of the pyramid bag that it says to have at the top but in this case had to go at the bottom.

It was piping hot when it came out the bag and onto the plate but the fact it was egg fried rice and the bag wasn't sealed as it should be has got me thinking.

Your still logged in mate so did you eat it or bin it?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #200: Aug 19, 2014 10:23:24 pm
      Your still logged in mate so did you eat it or bin it?

Oh I eat it. Couldn't hang around forever to which I am still waiting for a helpful reply :D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #201: Aug 19, 2014 10:28:28 pm
      Made a chicken dish the other day, that I've put in the freezer.  I accidentally used 2 tsp of hot chilli powder instead of paprika and I'd already overdone it with fresh chillies. I suppose it's more a case of scared to try than is it safe.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #202: Aug 19, 2014 11:00:54 pm
      Oh I eat it. Couldn't hang around forever to which I am still waiting for a helpful reply :D

No point wasting food mate, it'll come out one way or another  :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #203: Aug 19, 2014 11:11:54 pm
      BUMP!

The idea of the bag is to steam the egg and rice.
      If you've sealed it with the bowl and then microwaved it then it should be alright.

Let us know if you keel over.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #204: Aug 19, 2014 11:25:23 pm
      The idea of the bag is to steam the egg and rice.
      If you've sealed it with the bowl and then microwaved it then it should be alright.

Let us know if you keel over.

Best reply so far! :D

It's been a while now and a I still feel fine, hopefully stay that way.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #205: Aug 19, 2014 11:28:16 pm
      Best reply so far! :D

It's been a while now and a I still feel fine, hopefully stay that way.

You can eat an egg raw anyway.
      Not that I'd recommend it.

Egg and milk is an acquired taste.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #206: Aug 19, 2014 11:33:41 pm
      I was thinking back to a time my old man re-heated egg fried rice from a takeaway and chucked his guts up for a few days as a result.

Quick Reply