Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Top Of the Pops One Off Special

Read 2791 times
      MsGerrard
      Top Of the Pops One Off Special
      Nov 20, 2008 09:31:46 pm
      Top Of The Pops back for Christmas

Top Of The Pops is coming back this Christmas, with two special one-off shows, the BBC confirmed.

The first programme will go out on BBC1 on Christmas Day and the second on New Year's Eve.

The corporation said there are no plans to bring back TOTP, which regularly pulled in millions of viewers in its 1970s heyday, permanently.

The show was decommissioned in 2006 after more than 40 years of showcasing established and new acts.

The announcement follows growing speculation of a comeback and lobbying by the music industry and fans for the show's return amid claims of a lack of pop music on television generally.

Culture Secretary Andy Burnham has questioned where the successor to TOTP would come from.

And last month X Factor judge Simon Cowell might have ruffled a few feathers when he said he would like to buy the rights to the show from the BBC - and broadcast it on its rival ITV instead.

"I would rather it came to us than just sit in the dustbin," he told the BBC.

Bands including the Ting Tings have also called for the show's return.

The TOTP Christmas Special is billed as an hour-long celebration of all things pop.

********************************************************************************

Well I'm glad that Top Of The Pops will be back on Christmas Day, to me it's part of Christmas, I grew up with Top of the Pops, and used to love watching it.
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Re: Top Of the Pops One Off Special
      Reply #1: Nov 20, 2008 09:36:37 pm
      I used to love watching TOTP on Christmas Day,quite a tradition like the Queen`s speech although i am usually quite merry by then!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2: Nov 20, 2008 09:38:55 pm
      I think Cowell should buy the rights. It'd be better ran by him anyways. ;)

I didn't really watch it that much but I'm sure a new version would hold up a little better! Everything retro seems to win these days!

A Christmas Special will be nice though! Although I like their music, The Ting Tings aren't that good live, hope they're not on it! :D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #3: Nov 20, 2008 10:28:41 pm
      Bring it back for good, it was part of growin up.

I'll look forward to it on crimbo though.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #4: Nov 21, 2008 07:46:57 pm
      A Christmas Special will be nice though! Although I like their music, The Ting Tings aren't that good live, hope they're not on it! :D

You will more likely be entertained by Slade and Wizard  ;D

Quick Reply