Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who will win between Calzaghe and Jones Jr

Calzaghe
      (85.7%)
      Jones Jr
      (14.3%)

Calzaghe vs Roy Jones Jr (November 8th)

Read 12095 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Calzaghe vs Roy Jones Jr (November 8th)
      Sep 21, 2008 07:49:01 pm
      Right it's the big one. Maybe one of the best fights you'll see this year but it's definitaly going to be a good one. Two absolutely great boxers go head to head. Calzaghe is a wicked boxer but he never really came up against any great boxers when they were in their primes.

Roy Jones is one of the best boxers to have lived. Now he is way past his best, but he'll still put up a fight I think. If they were both in their primes then I'd put my house on Roy Jones to win through his sheer natural ability but obviously he's not the same anymore.

Has Calzaghe picked an easy target but a big name in Roy Jones? Should this fight have taken place 8 years ago? What do you think the outcome of the fight will be?

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2008 12:27:36 pm by Rafa La Bamba »
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Re: Calzaghe vs Roy Jones Jr (November 8th)
      Reply #1: Sep 21, 2008 07:53:24 pm
      Calzaghe has beaten all that has been put in front of him,ok some of them were nobodies but he beat a hell of a fighter in Jeff Lacey very soundly.Roy Jones Jr one hell of a fighter but past his sell by date - Joe to win!
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #2: Sep 21, 2008 07:53:53 pm
      Should you have to ask ? Calzaghe al the way . ;D
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #3: Sep 21, 2008 08:10:09 pm
      Should you have to ask ? Calzaghe al the way . ;D

You could be suprised!

I know it's only his clips and to be honest this is useless because it was years ago but here is a video of his best moments..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kPT6E_ouBnM
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #4: Sep 21, 2008 08:21:33 pm
      I know this fight should have taken place a few years back , but its joe all the way . And if i had to put money on it i would say , knock out . Within 7.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #5: Sep 21, 2008 08:28:12 pm
      I know this fight should have taken place a few years back , but its joe all the way . And if I had to put money on it I would say , knock out . Within 7.

To be honest I don't even know who's going to win. Jones isn't the same fighter anymore but I give him respect that he's still gone on even though he's way past his prime unlike Mayweather who was too scared to fight on because he knew eventually someone who have beaten him.

Anyway I can't wait for this fight and obviously Calzaghe is British I'm going to support him but I am a fan of Jones too.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #6: Sep 22, 2008 10:16:41 am
      Poll added.

It's going to be an excellent fight. I feel that Calzaghe should quite while he is ahead, so if he wins this one I reckon it should be his last.

It'd be nice to go for Marciano's record but I can't see it happening with the state of Joe's hands.

Still, my bets on Calzaghe for this one.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #7: Sep 22, 2008 12:32:07 pm
      Roy Jones will put up a good fight, just not as good as Calzaghe .

If this had happend a few years ago, i'd off been drooling over it.

Calzaghe will win this i reckon.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #8: Sep 22, 2008 01:56:24 pm
      Roy Jones will put up a good fight, just not as good as Calzaghe .

If this had happend a few years ago, I'd off been drooling over it.

Calzaghe will win this I reckon.

If this fight was done a few years ago, everyone would have been saying that this is a step too far for Calzaghe. Let's be honest here, as great as Calzaghe is, he's never been close to being as good as Roy Jones was. Calzaghe has only had one fight against someone who is not European and that was against Hopkins who he nearly lost to early on.

Roy Jones is at the end of his career now, but at one point Roy Jones was untouchable and Calzaghe wouldn't have come close. It will still be a good fight and I won't mind who wins as both have been great fighters over the years but I think Jones could supprise some.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #9: Sep 22, 2008 08:13:04 pm
      When will we see joe drop down a weight and flloyd "i swear im retired this time" Maywether move one weight... then we can see Calzaghe vs Mayweather.... thats something to drool over

As for this fight, Joe will win on points due to stamina most likly
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #10: Sep 23, 2008 01:43:34 pm
      When will we see joe drop down a weight and flloyd "I swear im retired this time" Maywether move one weight... then we can see Calzaghe vs Mayweather.... thats something to drool over

As for this fight, Joe will win on points due to stamina most likly

Mayweather & Calzaghe will never fight each other. They'd both have to move to unnatural weight divisions which would change the performance in the way they fight.

Just look at De La Hoya instead. He was able to fight Mayweather and it wasn't Oscar who won.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #11: Oct 10, 2008 06:42:45 pm
      Anyway, can't wait until this fight. Roy Jones is so much more naturally talented but he may lose due to not having the stamina that Calzaghe has. But I think Calzaghe will be massively shocked, as he has never faced anyone of Jones standards before.

Jones can win this fight though, you'll be supprised. Just because the voting so far on here is 8 Calzaghe and 1 Jones.. don't mean that Calzaghe is probably going to win. Just look at how many voted that Hatton was going to beat Mayweather... it was far from happening.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #12: Oct 10, 2008 07:25:21 pm
      I don't think this will be a good fight. Jones will only have a few rounds in him at this level and I'm going for Calzaghe to win easily. This fight is five years too late for me!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #13: Oct 11, 2008 12:05:42 pm
      I don't think this will be a good fight. Jones will only have a few rounds in him at this level and I'm going for Calzaghe to win easily. This fight is five years too late for me!

Don't under estimate Jones mate. He's still a good boxer, better than most that Calzaghe has fought against. Will be a shame that if Calzaghe wins the gloss will be taken off because Jones isn't even half the boxer he once was.

At the end of the day, if this fight took place 8 years ago it would have been one way traffic. Jones at his peak was virtually unstoppable he beat the likes of Hopkins with ease, and Hopkins was in his prime back then. However Calzaghe is very fast for his age still, but his technique doesnt match Jones.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: Oct 11, 2008 02:04:57 pm
      I don't know much about boxing to be honest. I hope Calzaghe wins because hasn't he said this would be his last fight? I'm sure he said that about his fight in April though? And he wants to finish at the top, unbeaten, I really hope he does! :D
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #15: Oct 11, 2008 03:29:03 pm
      Is his next opponent Sugar Ray Lenard :D
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #16: Oct 11, 2008 03:34:45 pm
      Totally agree mate this fight is years to late . Would have been a great fight 5 years ago. Still Calazaghe to win .
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #17: Oct 11, 2008 09:34:05 pm
      Totally agree mate this fight is years to late . Would have been a great fight 5 years ago. Still Calazaghe to win .

We are obviously not going to see any of those quick left hooks from Roy Jones anymore :(
      He was a bit cocky back in the day though :D
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #18: Oct 12, 2008 01:48:30 am
      I would like to see Roy Jones win it. Though, don't think it'll happen.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #19: Nov 09, 2008 02:41:58 am
      Anybody paid out for this???

:lmao: :lmao:

http://www.justin.tv/sportinwood2
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #20: Nov 09, 2008 12:55:16 pm
      Good scrap that.  He wiped the floor with him. 

What a way to end his career if he does.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #21: Nov 09, 2008 01:02:34 pm
      Joe Calslappy has taken this one. He deserved to win even though Jones put him on his arse on the 1st round!
      Here is what Ben Dirs has to say in his blog about Calzaghe win

It's been a bad week for the old guys - first John McCain, and now Roy Jones Jr. In both cases, you didn't have to be Nostradamus to predict the result.

What did the fight at Madison Square Garden in the early hours of Sunday morning prove? That Joe Calzaghe is one of the greatest fighters Britain has ever produced and that Jones' best days are a distant memory. But then most of us knew that already.

What it did reveal is that the pride of Newbridge, still blowing like a whirlwind at the age of 36, has got plenty left in the tank. What price a swansong at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium next summer? I'll lay you 2-1.

Calzaghe said in his autobiography that he thought Jones was "washed up" three years ago after shocking knockout defeats to Antonio Tarver (twice) and Glen Johnson. He revised his opinion in the build-up to this fight. But he was right first time.

For the first four rounds some journalists ringside thought they might be witnessing a Garden classic, to rank alongside Robinson-LaMotta and Ali-Frazier. But from the sixth round on Jones was just another Garden ghost.

And however gratifying it was to see Calzaghe put in a virtuoso performance at the "mecca of boxing", you'd be a heard-hearted fight fan not to feel sad at seeing the once untouchable Jones lumbering forward with hands held high, bloodied, just waiting for the final bell to toll.

Still, don't start crying into your cornflakes. Jones, who will split the proceeds of the fight straight down the middle with Calzaghe, will walk into retirement considerably richer. When that retirement might be is difficult to say. He says he might be back.

His trainer Alton Merkerson, a Vietnam veteran who has seen his fair share of bloodshed, should sit Jones down and show him a tape of Ali versus Trevor Berbick. "This is what happens when you go on too long - you get beaten by bums."

Bernard Hopkins and Mikkel Kessler were ringside to see the demolition first hand, while Chad Dawson, the undefeated IBF light-heavyweight champion, had penned a challenge to be read out to Calzaghe at the post-fight presser.

"I don't do rematches," said Calzaghe, who beat the 43-year-old Hopkins in Las Vegas in April and Kessler in Cardiff last November.

"I'm happy with what I've achieved this year, but I'll see what happens."

That old boxing chestnut, "I'll see what happens". It's up there with "never say never". I preferred it when he said "it was a fairytale fight and would be a fairytale ending".

Only the second man in history to win ABA titles at three different weights, unbeaten as an amateur and a professional in 18 years, 21 world title defences, two wins on American soil. Surely that's enough for any man?

Jimmy Wilde, perhaps Wales' greatest ever fighter (Calzaghe might disagree), finished his career flat on his face in a New York ring, knocked out by one Pancho Villa and stripped of his world flyweight crown.

No fairytale finish for Wilde, and there rarely are in boxing. Calzaghe would do well to remember that and walk away now.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #22: Nov 09, 2008 01:05:09 pm
      Don't know whether you watched all the fights Rafa, but the fight two matches before the Calzaghe one was decent as well.

All the showboating and dancing of the boxers was class.  I was dying for somebody to get a knockdown when they were dicking about!

Quick Reply