Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Man City v Liverpool

Read 14076 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Man City v Liverpool
      Oct 02, 2008 03:59:54 pm
      Our last game before the international break is a tricky away match to the City of Manchester stadium. I am very confident we can go there and get a result providing we play the way we did at Goodison rather than Villa Park.

Keane is looking to build on his first goal, Gerrard's can open his account for another 100 and Jamie Carragher will be number 10 in the list of all time appearances if he plays any part on Sunday. He's currently joint 10th with Billy Liddell (534)...next in his sights is Chrissy Lawler. Speaking of appearances, Stevie G will make his 449th (going above Sami Hyypia in the list who has 448) so it's nice to see Stevie scoring his 100th goal before 450 games. Not bad for a midfielder a goal every four or so games.

The side is looking settled and I don't expect whole sale changes for this match either. The only change I would make is Masch for Xabi and tell Masch to stick to Robinho or Elano like glue.

We're still yet to conceed away from home this season and hopefully that'll continue this Sunday. My prediction though is a 3-1 win.
      « Last Edit: Oct 06, 2008 11:43:58 am by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Man City v Liverpool - Pre Match
      Reply #1: Oct 02, 2008 04:03:05 pm
      This is going to be a draw.

Sorry.

Mascherano should be back to full fitness - but Alonso has been in a winning team.  What will happen there mewonders?
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #2: Oct 02, 2008 04:08:28 pm
      This is going to be a draw.

Sorry.

Mascherano should be back to full fitness - but Alonso has been in a winning team.  What will happen there mewonders?

I remember last season Man City away and i remember thinking i would be pretty pissed off to be a City fan and watch my team put 11 men behind the ball at home without for a moment thinking of going for all 3 points.
      I think we are going to beat them this time, we are in such good form and playing with fantastic confidence.
      What makes you so sure it will be a draw this time JD?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #3: Oct 02, 2008 04:09:56 pm
      I remember last season Man City away and i remember thinking i would be pretty pissed off to be a City fan and watch my team put 11 men behind the ball at home without for a moment thinking of going for all 3 points.
      I think we are going to beat them this time, we are in such good form and playing with fantastic confidence.
      What makes you so sure it will be a draw this time JD?

Last season was terrible.  Thanks for reminding us about that game.  That was the nail in the coffin for me last year as far as the Premiership.

I just know Mark Hughes is a spawny horrible get and I can almost see his stupid smirk now.

Call it 'Liverpool supporter pessimism'.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #4: Oct 02, 2008 04:13:35 pm
      Pretty much every team below us in the table has the same game plan when they play us home or away:
      Bring the team bus into the stadium and park it in-front of the bloody goal
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #5: Oct 02, 2008 04:18:56 pm
      It will be interested to see if Rafa will put in Javi to take Robinho out of the game by simply kicking him about which is something Wigan did to good effective. Which makes me think about if Rafa will simply slot out Alonso for Javi or maybe take of Riera and go for the 4-3-3.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #6: Oct 02, 2008 04:38:20 pm
      It's a win, I have no doubt in my mind. Man City may have good form at home, but we have sublime form away - and that's what will make the difference.

I'd say 2-1.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #7: Oct 02, 2008 04:47:46 pm
      I think City will have a go at us. Especially when you think of last seasons home team performance by them - which actually fell on my birthday!!!  :f_steam:

What I've seen of them so far this season is a bit more attack minded play. So if they throw the whole team behind the ball again, it's more respect to us. But with Keane and Torres' strike partnership growing in confidence, I think we'll have a bit more of a chance to open them up.

Just got a feeling there might be a few goals in this one though.
      LauraMc
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts |
      Reply #8: Oct 02, 2008 07:55:48 pm
      I don't think it will be an easy one..but I'd say it will be a win for us..if we keep our form up it will be anyway!!
      Mick Lfc 1892
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #9: Oct 02, 2008 07:58:22 pm
      i thin kn we will be full of confidence going into this game especially with Keane opening his account in Europe he will want to batter them in every game now hes a very determind player good hard worker 3-1 liverpool
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #10: Oct 02, 2008 08:09:39 pm
      I've gone for a 2-1 win to us I think with our growing confidence they'll not be able to contain our midfield and forward line now there firing on all cylinders !
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #11: Oct 02, 2008 08:11:49 pm
      3-0 to us :)

Keane hat-trick ;)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #12: Oct 02, 2008 08:34:20 pm
      There defence is dead shaky at the minute Dunne is in the worst form of his life and the left back his pretty average. So id go 4 4 2 but Id stick Stevie out on the right tell him to run the left back every chance he gets. Nando up top with Babel so we have power and pace going at Dunne. Robbie would be an easier option for Dunne. Masch to play with Xabi in the middle to break up there play not to man mark Robinho And Id start Agger to give us an extra creative option with his ability to carry the ball out with him

REINA

ARBE CARRA AGGER  AURELIO

GERRARD ALONSO MASCH RIERA

BABEL TORRES

Not a hope of that 11 starting  :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #13: Oct 02, 2008 09:04:22 pm
      REINA

ARBE CARRA AGGER  AURELIO

GERRARD ALONSO MASCH RIERA

BABEL TORRES

Not a hope of that 11 starting  :D

Actually Brian, i have to agree minus Agger and put Martin in. I'd maybe shift some around but we definately need Masch and Xabi in the side. I'll have a crack at:

Reina

Arbeloa      Carragher        Skrtel        Dossena

Alonso          Masch

Keane                                              Riera

Gerrard

Torres

I know Keane shouldnt play on the wing but wherever you tell him to play he'll run anywhere so might as well stick him out there. He was there so often against PSV.

Need Masch and Xabi in to contain the threat of Ireland, Wright-Phillips, Robinho, Elano etc. We are capable of winning if we soak up abit of pressure and then just hit them on the counter. They have no excuses to sit back with all their attackers they could score with. I dont think it'll be as frustrating as last season but it should be a close match which we could prevail in.

Stevie should just concentrate on attacking if we are to get anything out of this game, he will have the supply for Nando who will want to continue his domestic form.

2-1 win if we play that.
      ArkansasRed
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts |
      Reply #14: Oct 02, 2008 11:23:05 pm
      3-2 I say, late winner (75th on) from Kuyt.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #15: Oct 03, 2008 01:45:22 am
      Be a hard game but we should be full of confidence and carry on winning ways 2-1 to us Gerrard and Torres.
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #16: Oct 03, 2008 03:18:41 am
      1-0 Gerrard.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #17: Oct 03, 2008 10:57:29 am
      I think that this game we will get to see if Rafa is serious about the league or not, IMO he is, but this should just confirm it. If he puts out an attacking team, then the evidence is there for all to see that he is desperate for the league, if he puts out a side that looks as if it will settle for a draw though, then people will quite rightly ask questions.

But I have faith the Rafa will go for the win in this game, and I can see it being tough until the first goes in then it should be fairly comfortable win, this should be another 3-1 win, I can see Chelsea dropping points to an in form Villa so getting the win here is vital, possibly put us on top before the international break or joint top before the break. So come on Reds, show these mancs that they have a lot of work to do before they can be challenging the likes of us.
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #18: Oct 03, 2008 11:03:10 am
      City didn`t look great last night against the Cypriot team,we should go at them.
      cheshire
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts | -1 
      • GO LIVERPOOL
      Reply #19: Oct 03, 2008 12:08:42 pm
      I think this will be our win,
      proberly a 2-1 match, with them scoring early. But i hope our defence can control Robinho
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #20: Oct 03, 2008 02:08:20 pm
      i think it is hard to find the first goal but if we find it early i think 2 & 3 will come after it. Come on mighty reds. 1-0 or 3-0.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #21: Oct 03, 2008 02:39:15 pm
      I'm going 2-0 Keane & Torres with Gerrard supplying the ammo.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #22: Oct 03, 2008 02:40:19 pm
      We haven't conceded to City for ages, but somehow I can see us conceding one at Eastlands this time.

2-1 - Keane and Torres to score.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #23: Oct 03, 2008 02:50:50 pm
      Btw Keane has scored more often than anyone against city. 7 goals in 12 games.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #24: Oct 03, 2008 02:51:51 pm
      City have a knack for recapturing the form of their opposition ;)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #25: Oct 03, 2008 06:42:39 pm
      I don't see City playing against us like they did last season at their place. Will probably be a more open game with a sew goals in it. I see us winning 3 - 1. Nando 2. Robbie 1. And while this is going on, Chelsea will be drawing with Villa. :scarf: :scarf:
      maxextz
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts | -13 
      • Id like To dip my cookies in your tears.
      Reply #26: Oct 03, 2008 11:55:14 pm
      This is how city will line up against liverpool on sunday, just like last season :lmao:
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #27: Oct 04, 2008 01:01:46 am
      I think I will have to agree with JD on this one too.  Forget the fact that they now have Robinho and Jo and Wright-Phillips who have obviously been great or them this season, we can't underestimate the rest of the team ie Dunne and Richards at the back who played well in both games last season and Elano who is playing really well and will give his marker a tough game.

I'd say the way we are playing at the moment we should be good for a draw and a win will be a bonus for a team that has improved a hell of a lot and are going to make it a tricky game whatever the outcome.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #28: Oct 04, 2008 02:30:14 am
      Stephen Ireland too mate. He is capable of cutting open a defence with one ball. They are strong all over the park but to be honest we have a better side.

With Robinho, he hasnt done anything yet to justify his price tag against poor oppositions. He scored a deflected free kick against Chelsea and did nothing for the rest. Missed a great opportunity to score against Wigan on the weekend. I think when he comes up against Jamie and Marty he'll be the same.

I think this is how they'll line up going from recent weeks:

Hart

Zabaleta       Dunne       Richards       Garrido

SWP          Ireland         Elano          Petrov

Robinho          Jo

That really does have goals in it but they struggled midweek and they struggled against Wigan when pressure was put on them so hopefully we can pile on the pressure on them and really chase this game from the start before they settle in.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #29: Oct 04, 2008 02:32:38 am
      Close them down like we closed down the other Manchester team and we'll be in the business ;)
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #30: Oct 04, 2008 03:27:01 am
      one strong tackle on robinho by skrtel and he'll be staying away from our box and trying to do that fancy flicks and ballet ......biggest threat is jo and SWP.....we need wingers tht will chase SWP    which means no babel, we can't have SWP running at our back line ---I vote pennant or kuyt on SWP's side...here is what I would like too see,,,,,a little strange but conventional, and it fits into the new keane addition.

Riena
      arby   carra     skrtel  doss
          kuyt     xabi     riera(or pennant)
               gerrard  keane
                    torress

I know its strange but it would work against Man city, keane and gerrad track back all the time anyways.....let me know if you think its total Sh*t.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #31: Oct 04, 2008 07:46:48 am
      I have confidence in RAFA and the MIGHTY REDS and will go for 3-0 to us courtesy of Torres, Keane and Riera to punish his old club.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #32: Oct 04, 2008 10:15:35 am
      Not going to be an easy game this at all, I just hope they don't play like they did last season cos that was soooooooo boring for the fans.

I'm swaying towards a 2-1 to Liverpool, but it could easily be a draw, 1-1 possibly.

I'd like to think that Liverpool have the bit between their teeth, and will go out for the win, it would be nice to see us clear at the top   ;)

The way we have been playing recently, we should fear no-one.

So I'll stick me neck out and go 2-1  :scarf:
      fran_gray
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      Reply #33: Oct 04, 2008 12:13:39 pm
      cant beleive the tosh thats comin from the city fans ie the ''view from man city'' feature thats on lfc.tv. just cos they bought one good player (who doesnt look interested half the time) they think that they are going to giv us a thrashin?!?! ridiculous considerin they just got beaten by brighton. i think they will play a very attacking game which will suit us down to the ground as we can take apart teams who leave us any space in the final third. i reckon gerrard and riera are gonna have a field day anyway  YNWA
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #34: Oct 04, 2008 01:13:07 pm
      City are already overrated. Lets be honest here they bought Jo I never heard of him before did any of you? OK they bought Robinho but come on we've faced Ronaldinho Messi Kaka before all far better players then Robinho and come out on top. Lets break it down here there midfield is Stephen Ireland a decent player but as an Irishman id rather have Alonso Masch and Stevie playing for Ireland then stephen Ireland. They have 2 less then average full backs a young goalkeeper 2 centre half's who on there best day wouldn't contain Torres.

Man City are hype now because of the money they have. Wigan beat them last week for Christ sake. We are one of the top sides in Europe!! I fully expect our lads to stamp there authority on the game early and put city in there place   
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #35: Oct 04, 2008 01:45:11 pm
      I can see SWP and Ireland causeing us a few headaches. If we heap pressure on this City team, like Wigan did which caused Man City a few problems, then will walk away with a hard faught win.

3 - 2 to us
      ONTHEWING
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #36: Oct 04, 2008 02:12:15 pm
      anyone got an internet link to the match?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #37: Oct 04, 2008 03:03:53 pm
      anyone got an internet link to the match?

Dont think there'll be too many floatnig around right now. Closer to kick off and you'll find plenty.
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #38: Oct 04, 2008 03:37:33 pm
      I'm going for 3-1 to the reds Riera for first goal anyone??
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Man City v Liverpool
      Reply #39: Oct 06, 2008 11:44:52 am
      First of all - apologies that the forum went down.

But what a F***ing win!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #40: Oct 06, 2008 11:49:47 am
      Just want to say this:

IT'S ON!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #41: Oct 06, 2008 11:56:30 am
      Cracking result, the lads showed great character to comeback from 2 down. Shame about Skrtel's injury though, which has now been confirmed as a cruciate problem :(
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #42: Oct 06, 2008 12:01:14 pm
      Cracking result, the lads showed great character to comeback from 2 down. Shame about Skrtel's injury though, which has now been confirmed as a cruciate problem :(

How long of a setback is a cruciate problem? I heard about 8-12 months. Really, really bad news.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #43: Oct 06, 2008 12:08:56 pm
      They're saying they'll have a better idea of how long he'll be out tomorrow, but it is usually a lengthy layoff.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #44: Oct 06, 2008 12:10:18 pm
      How long of a setback is a cruciate problem? I heard about 8-12 months. Really, really bad news.

It's going to be the season isn't it. 

Rafa's team selection nearly killed us though.  Keane should have been on from the start.  That was a foolish change.
      5strs
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #45: Oct 06, 2008 12:27:35 pm
      Tried all day yesterday to get on this forum.What happend? I thought me Pc was dieing.All the streams were garbage aswell. I had to make do with Aldo on Radio City.But what a result eh!! If that second half was a woman,I'de make love to her until the neighbours complained of the smell. ;D WELL DONE LADS!! GWS Martin Lad :(
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #46: Oct 06, 2008 12:30:56 pm
      First of all - apologies that the forum went down.

But what a F***ing win!

Think you said all the right words. ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #47: Oct 06, 2008 12:31:54 pm
      Unfortunately we missed the half time hiliarity it would have been on here what with the usual suspects popping up to tell us how sh*te Rafa is and how we're going to win F**k all again.

Robinwho?

Best league result since erm... last week against the blues which was the best league result since erm... the Mancs the week before.

United home and Everton and City away.  I don't think any of us expected 9 points from that.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #48: Oct 06, 2008 01:11:13 pm
      A brilliant 9 points , i was expecting draws against united and city and of course three points against Everton. Very nice indeed.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #49: Oct 06, 2008 01:14:08 pm
      What a performance!! Well come second half anyway!! Brilliant!

I think that if we do challenge for the title, this will be the game that we look back on and say 'that was a turning point' to show such character when in previous seasons we would have given up or settled for the draw after getting back to 2-2. Just brilliant!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #50: Oct 06, 2008 01:15:28 pm
      Good job Kuyt didn't score that easy chance he had in the first five minutes.

It might have been a really straightforward win.  And we know how boring those are.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #51: Oct 06, 2008 01:15:32 pm
      That fight back tells me a hell of a lot about the belief spirit and will to win in that side.Funny yesterday me mate texting me updates and at 2 nil I never felt down or that we were gone despite the fact that we were playing a side supposed to take our place in the top 4!!

If we go on to land 19 in May this is th game ill look back to and say thats were we won it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #52: Oct 06, 2008 01:19:50 pm
      That fight back tells me a hell of a lot about the belief spirit and will to win in that side.Funny yesterday me mate texting me updates and at 2 nil I never felt down or that we were gone despite the fact that we were playing a side supposed to take our place in the top 4!!

If we go on to land 19 in May this is th game ill look back to and say thats were we won it.

I don't know how Kuyt does it - I really don't. 

And as for Torres - fantastic stuff.  He should have had a hat-trick against Everton and he should have nailed a hat-trick against City.

I hope it's making him very angry inside and he's going to tw*t about 8 past Wigan.

I thought Keane was excellent when he came on as well.

Believe.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #53: Oct 06, 2008 01:24:04 pm
      Unfortunately we missed the half time hiliarity it would have been on here what with the usual suspects popping up to tell us how sh*te Rafa is and how we're going to win F**k all again.

Robinwho?

Best league result since erm... last week against the blues which was the best league result since erm... the Mancs the week before.

United home and Everton and City away.  I don't think any of us expected 9 points from that.

You should have seen Robinhos' face when he got subbed that was class ;D

Great win and it was one of our best come backs ever! I thought we may get 1 back but then when they didn't come out at half time it was game on, they didn't know what to do.  The only bad part of this win obviously was the injury to Skrtel as he's been a key player in our progress so far and it's never good to see the stretcher deployed. 

Skrtel is a tough nut though he'll be back with a score to settle and you'd better watch out Evans!

Well played Liverpool it's results like this that separate the best from the wannabees "cough Man City" no one mention you know what just yet though ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #54: Oct 06, 2008 01:35:58 pm
      Still a long way to go.

And going down 2-0 is not a tactic I hope we continue to employ.  Arbeloa was 'sort of' at fault for the first and I think of all our players he has been the one most out of form.  Not helped by the fact that Finnan's left, and Degen's injured. 

Kuyt and Torres both missed good chances and if Robinwho had scored to make it 3-1 it would have been doubtful if we would have got anything out the game.

Did anyone see Mark Hughes to the official when the player got sent off.

Good job he watched a replay before he did the MOTD interview is all I can say.

I read a lot of City fans blaming the referee for costing them the game.

But it was a sending off.

And I think we would have beaten them anyway.  We were just in that kind of mood.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #55: Oct 06, 2008 01:40:51 pm
      And I think we would have beaten them anyway.  We were just in that kind of mood.

Rafa @ half time: "So you just gonna lye down and take it like a bi*ch huh? not good enough, show them how tough it's gonna be for them to break in the top 4"
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #56: Oct 06, 2008 02:09:27 pm
      Great fight back, i remember City only had 1 shot(the robinho miss) in the 2nd half.
      Credit to the lads, they played well the game, only that they made mistakes in the first half.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #57: Oct 06, 2008 02:23:32 pm
      Still can't understand why Keane was dropped but it all paid off in the end I suppose.

Fantastic comeback to keep us in touch going into the international break. We now have a 6 point gap ahead of United and 4 ahead of Arsenal as well as the joint top goalscorer in Fernando Torres. Well done Reds, a real display of talent in that second half.

Get well soon Marty.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #58: Oct 06, 2008 02:39:10 pm
      I knew from the moment that Kuyt burst into the box (and got fouled; which should have been a PEN!) that Rafa had said something Istanbul-esque to them. The only time I really lost my temper during that match was when we went 2 down. I knew we could do it, but we sure had a mountain to climb.

Enter Torres and his amazing bag of tricks. Unfortunately not hat-tricks, but close to that! Another Red-card foul on poor Xabi, who has bore the brunt of all these hideous challenges, and we were in business, yet again! But it was soon both teams down to 10 men as Ninja-Skrtel got injured (hope he's well soon though).

Still, the team spirit kept up despite losing our centre-back, and Gerrard filled in for him. And this is where he gets a special mention - what other player can play ANYWHERE on the pitch? No-one that I know of. Amazing player. Then Kuyt pops up with the winner, like he has done several times in Europe. I was on cloud nine all day yesterday.

Let me also just say to the City fans booing off Skrtel - You are cu*ts.

City will now know not to mess with the Big Four. Especially us in the return fixture ;)
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #59: Oct 06, 2008 03:01:11 pm
      whats happened to babbel doesnt seem to be getting a game latley

this was a better win than the utd and everton games.....well done the reds...you always leave us hanging from the edge of our seats, an easier win next time please though

this is a very substantial win
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #60: Oct 06, 2008 03:09:08 pm
      Still a long way to go.

Arbeloa was 'sort of' at fault for the first and I think of all our players he has been the one most out of form.  Not helped by the fact that Finnan's left, and Degen's injured. 

I believe it was Aurelio who gave the ball away to Robinho.He really had a terrible game.Dossena got us the corner as soon as he came on (which led to the 2nd goal).

Rest of the lads were terrific though.What a comeback!
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #61: Oct 06, 2008 03:14:04 pm
      whats happened to babbel doesnt seem to be getting a game latley

this was a better win than the utd and everton games.....well done the reds...you always leave us hanging from the edge of our seats, an easier win next time please though

this is a very substantial win
      Reira arrived and is doing the job.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #62: Oct 06, 2008 03:31:44 pm
      Geat game fully enjoyed it.
      Pleased that Rafa took the inicitive straight away after the sending off and made attacking changes.
      Pleased we kept going for the kill even after we went down to 10 men.
      Pleased with Hughes for accepting the sending off unlike moyes.
      Shocked that the linesman did not flag Robinho off side for what could have been 3-1, Kyut went mad.
      Shocked that city fans booed Skrtel. Tw@ts
      All in all good game with a great result.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #63: Oct 06, 2008 03:54:27 pm

What an incredible guess.
      I'm stunned.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #64: Oct 06, 2008 04:39:49 pm

can only echo Eem's comments, an absolutly stunning visionary statement well done ArkansasRed ! :o
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #65: Oct 06, 2008 04:41:37 pm
      i think keane was dropped for tactical reasons, cause we needed to hold off the City midfielders.
      The city fans boo-ed Alonso whenever he got the ball after the red card. It indeed was a red card, and Alonso didn't want to shake his hand ahha :lmao:

I think Gerrard hadnt had a good game, his passing and crosses were off until towards the end. We just did lotsa mistakes defending in the first half. and it's like so many times we have seen LFC fight back :)
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #66: Oct 06, 2008 05:08:17 pm
      What an incredible guess.
      I'm stunned.
      [/quote
      any inside knowledge dude, are you a mistic, how many past wigan... i say 3-1
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #67: Oct 06, 2008 05:24:52 pm
      I believe it was Aurelio who gave the ball away to Robinho.He really had a terrible game.Dossena got us the corner as soon as he came on (which led to the 2nd goal).

Rest of the lads were terrific though.What a comeback!

Aurelio must have taken 'give the ball away' pills before the game yesterday. He was having a proper stinker. Was glad Rafa subbed in him for Dossena - who I believe is getting better each time he plays.

I wouldn't say we were great in the first half, but we weren't terrible. Their two goals were the result of some poor defending and they could have (and should have) scored another one when Wright Phillips breezed past Carragher to get the ball in to Robinho. Defending from the start of the game would be a good idea in the future!

But all that aside, that was one hell of a great three points. And we were miles better in that second half than Citeh were throughout the whole game! Great team spirit and determination to win was clear to see.

Torres proved he is mortal when he missed that sitter and he didn't really look that much into getting kicked about in the first half by the likes of Dunne. But the man popped up with the good once again and Kuyt made sure he was in the right place at the right time after all his running, to bag us the winner. Well played!

Still not hitting top gear properly, but the lads deserve a lot of credit for having the character to be winners and playing as a team. Long may it continue. And while the journey to May carries on, we have to get behind them as much as we can. They have the belief and so should we.

Get better soon Skrtel! We're all thinking about you fella.
      ArkansasRed
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts |
      Reply #68: Oct 06, 2008 05:28:55 pm
      can only echo Eem's comments, an absolutly stunning visionary statement well done ArkansasRed ! :o
      Thanks. Wish I'd have put some money on that!
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #69: Oct 06, 2008 05:37:22 pm
      We seem to passing the ball around more often recently.I'm impressed with the patience shown.Great build up play for all three goals,fantasic unity and spirit shown. Wish Skrtel all the best.
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #70: Oct 06, 2008 05:43:47 pm
      Glad to see the heads did not go down yesterday,we showed great character and determination,something that was lacking last year.
      Keep up the good work Reds!
      KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #71: Oct 06, 2008 06:04:10 pm
      Great come back win from the lads
      And shows that we are a force in this years title race

Only down side is the Knee injury to Martin Skirtel and can only hope that he recovers quickly...
      Looks like we'll be calling on Sami Hyypia some more for the next few weeks or months anyway
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #72: Oct 06, 2008 06:07:02 pm
      outstanding stuff.  this is what its all about.  GET WELL SKRTEL!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #73: Oct 06, 2008 10:35:34 pm
      Still can't understand why Keane was dropped but it all paid off in the end I suppose.

Yes it did.  When Keane was back on the pitch.

Let's not beat round the bush.

Dropping Keane for Masch was the wrong choice.

Playing Alonso AND Mascherano with one striker was far too defensive.  That was giving far too much respect to Man City.  Changing your side to make it more defensive sends the wrong signals out to your own players and bigs up the opposition players.

4-4-2 Home and Away please.

I fail to see why Everton away and Man City away required two different formations.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #74: Oct 06, 2008 10:54:16 pm
      I fail to see why Everton away and Man City away required two different formations.

Winning formations!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #75: Oct 06, 2008 11:38:24 pm
      I wanted the formation he played but Keane in for Kuyt because whatever happens he ends up tracking the ball wherever it goes. It was wrong though in the end and about 5 minutes before kick off i knew it wouldnt be good.

However, it just served this comeback more justice and a thrilling match to behold. I knew once we scored we would get something out of it but i didnt think we would do it in that fashion. Fernando cant get enough wraps, he wasnt in it at all in the first half and just exploded in the second.

Cant fault one player for their commitment at the end of the day because thats what got us back in it and put 3 points on the table.

Just over the moon, only we could do that. Just brilliant! Rafa was clearly delighted after that and i think it struck him more today than ever not to change a winning line up.

And get well soon Marty. A massive blow that Dagger will have to take with both hands.

Fernando Torres, Liverpools number 9!

YNWA!!!!!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #76: Oct 07, 2008 12:15:51 am

Same formations when we actually did the 'winning' though.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #77: Oct 07, 2008 12:33:17 am
      4-2-3-1 worked well towards the end of last season, so it's not exactly a bad formation.

... But I do agree that it sends out the wrong signals - I was wondering why he'd dropped Keane, as was 99% of the world's population.
      « Last Edit: Oct 07, 2008 12:41:36 am by Reslivo, Reason: I made a typo »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #78: Oct 07, 2008 12:39:37 am
      4-2-3-1 worked well towards the end of last season, so it's not exactly a bad formation.

... But I do agree that it sends our the wrong signals - I was wondering why he'd dropped Keane, as was 99% of the world's population.

Especially after calling for him to score this weekend. Must have kicked hi mto the gutter after scoring his first for the club, feeling no pressure and as if the shackles were taken off and then this. He came on and did a good job though.

Actually starting to think that Nando 'needs' him there.

Oh and well done Rafa, i would have brought on Babel instead of Yossi but he showed class every time he touched it and started the move for the last goal.
      laurien
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #79: Oct 07, 2008 08:24:56 pm
      pure legends
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #80: Oct 08, 2008 12:29:38 am
      Fantastic result. 3 Points we never looked like getting up to half time. Second half, every player in red seemed to get a lift and believe it was winable. Different class to city and we havn't hit top form yet. Can't wait for the next game now. Internationals getting in the way. Hope we don't lose our consistency now. Come on you mighty reds.

Quick Reply