Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Man City v Liverpool

Read 14306 times
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Re: Man City v Liverpool
      Reply #46: Oct 06, 2008 12:30:56 pm
      First of all - apologies that the forum went down.

But what a F***ing win!

Think you said all the right words. ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6946 
      Reply #47: Oct 06, 2008 12:31:54 pm
      Unfortunately we missed the half time hiliarity it would have been on here what with the usual suspects popping up to tell us how sh*te Rafa is and how we're going to win F**k all again.

Robinwho?

Best league result since erm... last week against the blues which was the best league result since erm... the Mancs the week before.

United home and Everton and City away.  I don't think any of us expected 9 points from that.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #48: Oct 06, 2008 01:11:13 pm
      A brilliant 9 points , i was expecting draws against united and city and of course three points against Everton. Very nice indeed.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #49: Oct 06, 2008 01:14:08 pm
      What a performance!! Well come second half anyway!! Brilliant!

I think that if we do challenge for the title, this will be the game that we look back on and say 'that was a turning point' to show such character when in previous seasons we would have given up or settled for the draw after getting back to 2-2. Just brilliant!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6946 
      Reply #50: Oct 06, 2008 01:15:28 pm
      Good job Kuyt didn't score that easy chance he had in the first five minutes.

It might have been a really straightforward win.  And we know how boring those are.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,256 posts | 2822 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #51: Oct 06, 2008 01:15:32 pm
      That fight back tells me a hell of a lot about the belief spirit and will to win in that side.Funny yesterday me mate texting me updates and at 2 nil I never felt down or that we were gone despite the fact that we were playing a side supposed to take our place in the top 4!!

If we go on to land 19 in May this is th game ill look back to and say thats were we won it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6946 
      Reply #52: Oct 06, 2008 01:19:50 pm
      That fight back tells me a hell of a lot about the belief spirit and will to win in that side.Funny yesterday me mate texting me updates and at 2 nil I never felt down or that we were gone despite the fact that we were playing a side supposed to take our place in the top 4!!

If we go on to land 19 in May this is th game ill look back to and say thats were we won it.

I don't know how Kuyt does it - I really don't. 

And as for Torres - fantastic stuff.  He should have had a hat-trick against Everton and he should have nailed a hat-trick against City.

I hope it's making him very angry inside and he's going to tw*t about 8 past Wigan.

I thought Keane was excellent when he came on as well.

Believe.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #53: Oct 06, 2008 01:24:04 pm
      Unfortunately we missed the half time hiliarity it would have been on here what with the usual suspects popping up to tell us how sh*te Rafa is and how we're going to win F**k all again.

Robinwho?

Best league result since erm... last week against the blues which was the best league result since erm... the Mancs the week before.

United home and Everton and City away.  I don't think any of us expected 9 points from that.

You should have seen Robinhos' face when he got subbed that was class ;D

Great win and it was one of our best come backs ever! I thought we may get 1 back but then when they didn't come out at half time it was game on, they didn't know what to do.  The only bad part of this win obviously was the injury to Skrtel as he's been a key player in our progress so far and it's never good to see the stretcher deployed. 

Skrtel is a tough nut though he'll be back with a score to settle and you'd better watch out Evans!

Well played Liverpool it's results like this that separate the best from the wannabees "cough Man City" no one mention you know what just yet though ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6946 
      Reply #54: Oct 06, 2008 01:35:58 pm
      Still a long way to go.

And going down 2-0 is not a tactic I hope we continue to employ.  Arbeloa was 'sort of' at fault for the first and I think of all our players he has been the one most out of form.  Not helped by the fact that Finnan's left, and Degen's injured. 

Kuyt and Torres both missed good chances and if Robinwho had scored to make it 3-1 it would have been doubtful if we would have got anything out the game.

Did anyone see Mark Hughes to the official when the player got sent off.

Good job he watched a replay before he did the MOTD interview is all I can say.

I read a lot of City fans blaming the referee for costing them the game.

But it was a sending off.

And I think we would have beaten them anyway.  We were just in that kind of mood.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #55: Oct 06, 2008 01:40:51 pm
      And I think we would have beaten them anyway.  We were just in that kind of mood.

Rafa @ half time: "So you just gonna lye down and take it like a bi*ch huh? not good enough, show them how tough it's gonna be for them to break in the top 4"
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #56: Oct 06, 2008 02:09:27 pm
      Great fight back, i remember City only had 1 shot(the robinho miss) in the 2nd half.
      Credit to the lads, they played well the game, only that they made mistakes in the first half.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #57: Oct 06, 2008 02:23:32 pm
      Still can't understand why Keane was dropped but it all paid off in the end I suppose.

Fantastic comeback to keep us in touch going into the international break. We now have a 6 point gap ahead of United and 4 ahead of Arsenal as well as the joint top goalscorer in Fernando Torres. Well done Reds, a real display of talent in that second half.

Get well soon Marty.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #58: Oct 06, 2008 02:39:10 pm
      I knew from the moment that Kuyt burst into the box (and got fouled; which should have been a PEN!) that Rafa had said something Istanbul-esque to them. The only time I really lost my temper during that match was when we went 2 down. I knew we could do it, but we sure had a mountain to climb.

Enter Torres and his amazing bag of tricks. Unfortunately not hat-tricks, but close to that! Another Red-card foul on poor Xabi, who has bore the brunt of all these hideous challenges, and we were in business, yet again! But it was soon both teams down to 10 men as Ninja-Skrtel got injured (hope he's well soon though).

Still, the team spirit kept up despite losing our centre-back, and Gerrard filled in for him. And this is where he gets a special mention - what other player can play ANYWHERE on the pitch? No-one that I know of. Amazing player. Then Kuyt pops up with the winner, like he has done several times in Europe. I was on cloud nine all day yesterday.

Let me also just say to the City fans booing off Skrtel - You are cu*ts.

City will now know not to mess with the Big Four. Especially us in the return fixture ;)
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #59: Oct 06, 2008 03:01:11 pm
      whats happened to babbel doesnt seem to be getting a game latley

this was a better win than the utd and everton games.....well done the reds...you always leave us hanging from the edge of our seats, an easier win next time please though

this is a very substantial win
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #60: Oct 06, 2008 03:09:08 pm
      Still a long way to go.

Arbeloa was 'sort of' at fault for the first and I think of all our players he has been the one most out of form.  Not helped by the fact that Finnan's left, and Degen's injured. 

I believe it was Aurelio who gave the ball away to Robinho.He really had a terrible game.Dossena got us the corner as soon as he came on (which led to the 2nd goal).

Rest of the lads were terrific though.What a comeback!
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #61: Oct 06, 2008 03:14:04 pm
      whats happened to babbel doesnt seem to be getting a game latley

this was a better win than the utd and everton games.....well done the reds...you always leave us hanging from the edge of our seats, an easier win next time please though

this is a very substantial win
      Reira arrived and is doing the job.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #62: Oct 06, 2008 03:31:44 pm
      Geat game fully enjoyed it.
      Pleased that Rafa took the inicitive straight away after the sending off and made attacking changes.
      Pleased we kept going for the kill even after we went down to 10 men.
      Pleased with Hughes for accepting the sending off unlike moyes.
      Shocked that the linesman did not flag Robinho off side for what could have been 3-1, Kyut went mad.
      Shocked that city fans booed Skrtel. Tw@ts
      All in all good game with a great result.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #63: Oct 06, 2008 03:54:27 pm
      3-2 I say, late winner (75th on) from Kuyt.

What an incredible guess.
      I'm stunned.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #64: Oct 06, 2008 04:39:49 pm
      3-2 I say, late winner (75th on) from Kuyt.

can only echo Eem's comments, an absolutly stunning visionary statement well done ArkansasRed ! :o
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #65: Oct 06, 2008 04:41:37 pm
      i think keane was dropped for tactical reasons, cause we needed to hold off the City midfielders.
      The city fans boo-ed Alonso whenever he got the ball after the red card. It indeed was a red card, and Alonso didn't want to shake his hand ahha :lmao:

I think Gerrard hadnt had a good game, his passing and crosses were off until towards the end. We just did lotsa mistakes defending in the first half. and it's like so many times we have seen LFC fight back :)
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #66: Oct 06, 2008 05:08:17 pm
      What an incredible guess.
      I'm stunned.
      [/quote
      any inside knowledge dude, are you a mistic, how many past wigan... i say 3-1
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #67: Oct 06, 2008 05:24:52 pm
      I believe it was Aurelio who gave the ball away to Robinho.He really had a terrible game.Dossena got us the corner as soon as he came on (which led to the 2nd goal).

Rest of the lads were terrific though.What a comeback!

Aurelio must have taken 'give the ball away' pills before the game yesterday. He was having a proper stinker. Was glad Rafa subbed in him for Dossena - who I believe is getting better each time he plays.

I wouldn't say we were great in the first half, but we weren't terrible. Their two goals were the result of some poor defending and they could have (and should have) scored another one when Wright Phillips breezed past Carragher to get the ball in to Robinho. Defending from the start of the game would be a good idea in the future!

But all that aside, that was one hell of a great three points. And we were miles better in that second half than Citeh were throughout the whole game! Great team spirit and determination to win was clear to see.

Torres proved he is mortal when he missed that sitter and he didn't really look that much into getting kicked about in the first half by the likes of Dunne. But the man popped up with the good once again and Kuyt made sure he was in the right place at the right time after all his running, to bag us the winner. Well played!

Still not hitting top gear properly, but the lads deserve a lot of credit for having the character to be winners and playing as a team. Long may it continue. And while the journey to May carries on, we have to get behind them as much as we can. They have the belief and so should we.

Get better soon Skrtel! We're all thinking about you fella.
      ArkansasRed
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts |
      Reply #68: Oct 06, 2008 05:28:55 pm
      can only echo Eem's comments, an absolutly stunning visionary statement well done ArkansasRed ! :o
      Thanks. Wish I'd have put some money on that!

Quick Reply