Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

SOS meeting with Rafa at Melwood 18th Sept 08

Read 4793 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      SOS meeting with Rafa at Melwood 18th Sept 08
      Sep 26, 2008 03:39:18 pm
      From Spirit Of Shankly, details of the meeting they held with Rafa Benitez at Melwood - Thursday 18th September 08:

Meeting with Rafa Benitez, Melwood 18th Sept 2008, 2pm

A delegation from the Spirit of Shankly accepted an invitation from Rafa Benitez to meet with him at Melwood on Thursday 18th September after training had been completed. The meeting lasted just under four hours and covered the many aspects of Liverpool Football Club. The manager enthusiastically confirmed his commitment to Liverpool Football Club emphasising that he and his family were very settled on Merseyside and that he was as determined as ever to bring success to Anfield. The delegation listened to the manager’s passion and vision for the club and its future but also some of his already widely reported frustrations in not securing some of his primary transfer targets.

Rafa Benitez spoke at length of his love of Liverpool Football Club and especially the fans whom he described as 'the heart and soul of this football club'. He said he was extremely grateful to the supporters who had marched in his support last November 2007 prior to the Porto Champions League game. He persistently emphasised he was very happy at the club and was determined to win more silverware for the club and its supporters. He confirmed he had been approached by other clubs but was intent on staying here, as has been widely reported in the press previously. He acknowledged the financial situation at the club but emphasised that he was determined to bring more success to Liverpool Football Club even though he was 'not on a level playing field' with other top clubs in terms of finance, which would now include Manchester City after the recent takeover.

Rafa Benitez emphasised time and time again that he was a 'winner' and would do everything in his power to achieve this goal and he wanted everyone at the club to work together in order to achieve this. He felt that some of the other 'top clubs' had a united front when it came to dealing with The FA The Premier League and the Referees Body (PGMOL). He felt as a football club we were sometimes unwilling to fight our corner.

The delegation asked him if it would be possible for Liverpool Reserves to play at Anfield as this would give the opportunity for local youngsters to visit the ground and see some of the first team squad. Rafa Benitez said he didn't think the pitch at Anfield could sustain the added amount of games. He said he wanted the Reserves to play at The Academy with a small purpose built stand based on the Real Madrid model - he said he had given the hierarchy his ideas some time ago but as yet nothing had happened.

Rafa Benitez was very enthusiastic about the role Sammy Lee was undertaking and felt that Sammy embodied the Spirit of Shankly and understood the value of the Holy Trinity of the players, the coaching staff and the supporters.

The meeting finished with a tour of the excellent facilities at Melwood. During this tour Rafa explained that they had adorned the corridors with images of the history of Liverpool Football Club to emphasise the heritage and traditions of our great club. He also explained in detail why he had altered one tradition and requested that 'You'll Never Walk Alone' be played and sung when the players were on the pitch. He felt that this would inspire our players and strike fear into the opposition.

gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Re: SOS meeting with Rafa at Melwood 18th Sept 08
      Reply #1: Sep 26, 2008 07:00:36 pm
      Excellent post Kenny , just goes to show how much Rafa loves this club,the city and its fans . The man is a legend IRWT.
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Reply #2: Sep 26, 2008 07:32:27 pm
      Kenny is this the e-mail that was sent to all members today mate?  No offence but it was meant for Members of the Union, don't know if you are, though you must be if you got the e-mail. Its been posted on loads of LFC forums but SOS have asked for them to be taken down, so that members might have a chance to to read it first before SOS releases the information generally, that's the reason its not been put up on the Spirit of shankly website yet.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Sep 29, 2008 02:02:50 am
      Kenny is this the e-mail that was sent to all members today mate?  No offence but it was meant for Members of the Union, don't know if you are, though you must be if you got the e-mail. Its been posted on loads of LFC forums but SOS have asked for them to be taken down, so that members might have a chance to to read it first before SOS releases the information generally, that's the reason its not been put up on the Spirit of shankly website yet.

No offence taken at all mate. It is the email and yes I am a member.

Don't take this the wrong way mate but with me being a member, doesn't that allow me to share with fellow reds important news about our club?

We're all in the same boat at the end of the day and I think something of this substance doesn't warrant secrecy to non members. Otherwise, it's only going to cause division and possibly a bad light on SOS amongst the cynics. I can totally understand the logic of being a 'payed' member and what benefits it will bring, as it is a union afterall. But information about a meeting with Liverpool FC's manager should be given to all reds. And that goes the same for the Gillett meeting. If people feel more involved then more people are likely to join in.

You know quite well my questions about the lack of information SOS put out in the past as we had a good discussion about the pro's and cons. And thankfully you took that on board and posted on this forum as much info as you could. With your help on here, I'm certain there will have been more members joining up.

I'd just like to say mate, this post isn't directed at you at all, so please don't take any offence by it. It's just to the message that that message in the email shouldn't be seen to non members. And to be fair, there was no message in the email that said it shouldn't be shared.

Of course, I didn't mention the Spirit Of Shankly newsletter that will be in the post soon. Reds join up for more information.
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      Reply #4: Sep 30, 2008 01:37:38 am
      No offence taken at all mate. It is the email and yes I am a member.

Don't take this the wrong way mate but with me being a member, doesn't that allow me to share with fellow reds important news about our club?

We're all in the same boat at the end of the day and I think something of this substance doesn't warrant secrecy to non members. Otherwise, it's only going to cause division and possibly a bad light on SOS amongst the cynics. I can totally understand the logic of being a 'payed' member and what benefits it will bring, as it is a union afterall. But information about a meeting with Liverpool FC's manager should be given to all reds. And that goes the same for the Gillett meeting. If people feel more involved then more people are likely to join in.

You know quite well my questions about the lack of information SOS put out in the past as we had a good discussion about the pro's and cons. And thankfully you took that on board and posted on this forum as much info as you could. With your help on here, I'm certain there will have been more members joining up.

I'd just like to say mate, this post isn't directed at you at all, so please don't take any offence by it. It's just to the message that that message in the email shouldn't be seen to non members. And to be fair, there was no message in the email that said it shouldn't be shared.

Of course, I didn't mention the Spirit Of Shankly newsletter that will be in the post soon. Reds join up for more information.

You and JD have been well helpfull in getting the Unions message out there. I agree It should have said in the E-mail header to keep the contents of the e-mail discreet for now. i don't thinks its a matter of secrecy kenny mate, just a chance to allow Union members, who have been chosen to be represented by SOS, to read about any relevant details of the meeting between our representatives and Rafa. The Union would have put it up on their website in due course for everyone to see, i'd have put it on here meself then.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Sep 30, 2008 08:40:54 am

You and JD have been well helpfull in getting the Unions message out there. I agree It should have said in the E-mail header to keep the contents of the e-mail discreet for now. i don't thinks its a matter of secrecy kenny mate, just a chance to allow Union members, who have been chosen to be represented by SOS, to read about any relevant details of the meeting between our representatives and Rafa. The Union would have put it up on their website in due course for everyone to see, i'd have put it on here meself then.

So you're saying the right way to read this is to pay and sign up to the Spirit of Shankly campaign? 

Good luck with convincing everyone else then.
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      Reply #6: Sep 30, 2008 06:10:58 pm
      So you're saying the right way to read this is to pay and sign up to the Spirit of Shankly campaign? 

Good luck with convincing everyone else then.

sorry did you just completly ignore :  "The Union would have put it up on their website in due course for everyone to see, I'd have put it on here meself then".  All I'm saying is Union members are entitled to see the report of their representatives first. We chose to be represented by SOS, others choose not to. Yet, they'll be happy enough to benefit from whatever SOS achieves.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #7: Sep 30, 2008 07:48:04 pm
      sorry did you just completly ignore :  "The Union would have put it up on their website in due course for everyone to see, I'd have put it on here meself then".  All I'm saying is Union members are entitled to see the report of their representatives first. We chose to be represented by SOS, others choose not to. Yet, they'll be happy enough to benefit from whatever SOS achieves.

Pretty similar to the way Trade Union's work though isn't it?

Everyone gets the pay rises irrespective of who goes out on strike.

I personally didn't agree that it needed 'funding'.  That was my major gripe with it.

Anyway, with Bascombe out their sniffing I think the world and his wife will be hearing before you do so in your emails in any case.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #8: Oct 08, 2008 10:07:09 am

Fairy muff.

The news will always break to us anyway.  Paying up or not.

Quick Reply