Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Another Swipe at Rafa !

Read 1907 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Another Swipe at Rafa !
      Dec 29, 2007 11:40:01 am
      Liverpool owner Tom Hicks has accused Anfield manager Rafael Benitez of behaving petulantly in the recent dispute over transfer policy.

The American also fears the players were suffering from an inferiority complex in the recent defeat to Manchester United.

The comments, in an interview with Sports Illustrated, risk reviving the tension between Benitez and Hicks and his co-owner George Gillett.

Hicks revisited the row over transfers, which saw Benitez accuse the American duo of failing to understand the European transfer market.

"We wanted to see what we could do with the players we had already bought," said Hicks. "We just wanted to see if the team was going to gel. Then he (Benitez) went to a press conference and kind of pouted and answered in the same way 20 times: 'I'm focusing on my team.'

"The media made up everything from that point forward. They made up that we were going to fire him, that I told him to shut up, that there was a battle between Benitez and the Americans. It's really funny to watch."

Hicks was dismayed at the players' attitude against United at Anfield when a 1-0 defeat left Liverpool off the pace in the Premier League title race.

He said: "Our team played like they mentally didn't think they were good enough to win. They played tight."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3009809,00.html

WTF does Hicks know about football ??  Just give us the money !!  :f_steam:
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: Another Swipe at Rafa !
      Reply #1: Dec 29, 2007 11:57:50 am

Looks like we'll have to get Bob Geldoff in instead of Rick Parry! ;)

Seriously though, he should just let it lie shouldn't he? It's sorted now, we're back on track!
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #2: Dec 29, 2007 12:01:34 pm
      He said: "Our team played like they mentally didn't think they were good enough to win. They played tight."

WTF does Hicks know about football ??  Just give us the money !!  :f_steam:

Obviously nothing at all. We were in control of that game all the way and could easily have won it, had it not been for one big defensive mistake. And if he really think so, then maybe he should consider the fact that ManU spent 50 mio pounds on three players this summer. Without getting any big amount of money from sale of players. So I totally agree with you smigger.

Give Rafa the funds he needs and then keep your uintelligent thoughts to yourself you american c**t! 
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: Dec 29, 2007 12:30:39 pm
      Right, everyone calm down & read the actual article rather than believing Sky's interpretation of it. JD has already posted the article on this board.

LINK
      « Last Edit: Dec 29, 2007 12:45:44 pm by EddieC »
      The_Kop_4_Life2005
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts | -1 
      Reply #4: Dec 29, 2007 01:55:30 pm
      From what I can gather and I don't know if I'm right or not but its Gillette that providing the money for the club and Hicks is doing nothing other than constantly causing rifts between himself and Rafa. Basically Hicks has two option
      1. He can shut up and let Rafa get on with his job
      or
      2. He can P**S OFF and find a different team to constantly make rifts

I would like to see the DIC come in and buy us and work with Gillette as Hicks i doing Jack S**T and I think it may be time for Parry to go as well seeing as he never actually does anything other than what hes told too, cant think for himself.

Theres nobody that would be able to replace Rafa so if Hicks has got any ideas of sacking him and employing Klinsmann then he can think again.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #5: Dec 29, 2007 01:58:22 pm
      FFS read the original article. This is Sky sh*t stirring as usual, there is nothing that bad said in the article, don't fall for their bollocks.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Dec 29, 2007 02:01:17 pm
      Right, everyone calm down & read the actual article rather than believing Sky's interpretation of it. JD has already posted the article on this board.

LINK

Spot on Eddie!

This is just a pure example of Sky trying to stir things up! No doubt they've taken this from one of the scumy papers today.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #7: Dec 29, 2007 02:06:30 pm
      thanks for the link eddie but why didnt he tell us he was laughing at the media speculation instead of keeping us guessing hence the march to the ground i think a bit more tact was needed on their part but hey they are american
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #8: Dec 29, 2007 02:11:29 pm
      some day soon eddie the gutter press will be wanting interviews off us as league champs perhaps not this year but soon when that time comes we should tell them all to piss off and just bask in the glory
      tommyLFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts | -4 
      Reply #9: Dec 29, 2007 02:25:42 pm
      Agreed Eddie. Why do lots of liverpool fans take every bit of sh*te they hear on sky aty face value?. All along I have thought the yanks where not totaly\to blame in this farce. Rafa needs to look athimself also.

the following quote from hicks

"we just wanted toi see if the players we had where good enough see if they would gel"

Now isnt this inline with what most of us have been sayiong bout the rotation?. Me you and every ex red who are in the press. Play your best team first. Get your heads out of the sand and smell the coffee.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #10: Dec 29, 2007 03:25:03 pm
      obviously nothing at all & Hicks need to go home and search the word "football" in a search engine. hicks give us you money to improve our squad and leave Rafa make business ( transfers )on his own.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #11: Dec 29, 2007 03:38:38 pm
      Yep, was about to click quick reply before I saw Eddie made the point. The other article is posted on these boards, and yet people still can't see the connection between the full conversation, and what Sky decide to take and manipulate. And if Liverpool fans don't see that connection, than no one outside the club will, meaning the whole situation gets overblown.

Media hyperbole happens alot, but it's damn annoying when you see how they manipulate innocent articles into something to make headlines.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12: Dec 29, 2007 04:27:01 pm
      Guarantee The Sun has probably stuck their noses in and stirred it up a bit
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #13: Dec 29, 2007 04:56:03 pm
      Im only saying this look who has perpetrated the story. The S*ns TV channel thats right Sky F***ing sports, the only bit you have to worry about which those cu*ts at sky forgot to mention is the following snippet.

"The media made up everything from that point forward. They made up that we were going to fire him, that I told him to shut up, that there was a battle between Benitez and the Americans. It's really funny to watch."

Notice the bit about the media made everything up from that point. This is just a reinvention of an old story designed to unsettle the fans and the players and the management. In business you have disagreements and arguements, you vent your feelings in meetings clear the air and get on with it. Sky can go F**k themselves now as far as Im concerned they are as bad as the The S*n. I will only watch live LFC matches on S*y sports and those will be streamed via the internet. They have been given 30 days notice from this moment to cease  my contract. F**k EM.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #14: Dec 29, 2007 04:58:10 pm

LINK

Yes I did. This is the perfect example of not reading the full story.  This 'excerpt' ie. Sky's version gets everyone hot under the collar.  The 'Full' article printed a couple of days back is much more sensible.

Take what you read with from News International and Sky with a pinch of salt.

Topic locked.

Quick Reply