Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 360428 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #69: Jun 28, 2009 09:00:05 am
      What about the toilet seat, everyone seems to be having it on their songs at the mo.

He stole a toilet seat...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #70: Jun 28, 2009 12:03:39 pm

and got caught!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,235 posts | 2813 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #71: Jun 28, 2009 12:12:41 pm
      Jones: Johnson is England's finest

Former Liverpool defender Rob Jones
      What a f**kin player he was
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #72: Jun 28, 2009 12:48:54 pm

I agree shame his career was cut short and that he never got more International games due to injuries it must have been horrible for the lad as every time a big tournament came up he got injured it was like he was jinxed
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #73: Jun 28, 2009 05:06:38 pm
      OUR NEW BOY IN 10 FASCINATING FACTS
      James Carroll 26 June 2009

He's a rampaging right-back who has forced his way into the England team after an eye-catching 2008-09 season with Portsmouth - but what else do you know about our new defender?

1. After rising through the ranks of West Ham United's Academy, Glen started his professional career with the Hammers. He made 15 appearances at Upton Park and also spent time on loan at Millwall.

2. Johnson was the first signing of the Roman Abramovich era at Chelsea when he moved across London in 2003. His league debut for the Blues came at Anfield against Liverpool in August of the same year.

3. The defender won one Barclays Premier League title winner's medal and a League Cup during his time at Stamford Bridge before lifting the FA Cup with Portsmouth in 2008.

4. He moved to Fratton Park on loan in 2006 and made the deal permanent a year later.

5. Glen won Match of the Day's 'Goal of the Season' award in 2008-09 for his screaming left-foot volley against Hull City on 22 November.

6. Despite Portsmouth finishing in 14th position in the Barclays Premier League, Johnson was selected at right-back in the PFA Team of the Year for 08-09.

7. In total, Glen made 29 Barclays Premier League appearances for Portsmouth last season, scoring three goals and claiming the same number of assists.

8. Johnson made his senior England debut against Denmark in 2003 aged 19 and has a total of 15 caps for the Three Lions.

9. The 24-year-old set up the Glen Johnson Soccer School' in Dartford, Kent back in 2007 for children aged between four and 16.

10. Glen was born on 23 August 1984 and shares his birthday with American basketball superstar Kobe Bryant.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #74: Jun 28, 2009 06:26:53 pm
      Stuff the rest, i was happy to hear him setting up a football academy. Well in.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #75: Jun 28, 2009 06:44:52 pm
      Stuff the rest, I was happy to hear him setting up a football academy. Well in.

Yeh me 2 that says an awfull lot about the lad really doesnt it
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #76: Jun 29, 2009 10:28:36 am
      Skrtel: Johnson will be a hit

The Slovakian knows what it takes to fit into one of the best defences in Europe having become a Kop favourite since his January 2008 move from the Russian Premier League.

Now Skrtel reckons Johnson will do the same after completing his switch from Portsmouth on Friday.

"He is a very good player and he will definitely be a success. So I am happy that he is with us," he said.

Skrtel will return to Liverpool in early July ahead of pre-season.

However, the 24-year-old has attempted to get a head start in preparing for 2009-10.

"It was so pleasant to spend a few days just doing nothing," explained Skrtel. "Now I go to the gym in the mornings and it takes some time to get used to it. But don't worry, I'll be fine!"

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164889090629-0857.htm
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #77: Jun 29, 2009 10:55:50 am
      :lmao:

Phil Neal: Glen Johnson can bring the best out of Fernando Torres at Liverpool FC
      LIVERPOOL legend Phil Neal believes Glen Johnson can bring the best out of Fernando Torres after the right-back sealed his record-breaking move to Anfield.

Johnson, 24, became the most expensive defender in Liverpool’s history by completing his £17million move from Portsmouth.

The Greenwich-born player has signed a four-year contract with the Reds and becomes Rafa Benitez’s first major signing of the summer.

Neal reckons the England international’s arrival can bring the best out of ace goalscorer Torres.

He said: “He reminds me of the great attacking right-backs we have had at the club during the time I was there – and before me as well.

“He is a quality addition and he will provide a lot more ammunition for the forwards, that’s for sure.

“Torres will benefit from having Glen in the side more often than not.”

He added: “He gets forward well and crosses a decent ball. I watched him closely during the recent England v Andorra game and was suitably impressed.

"He was bubbling with confidence and is a player that catches the eye.

“He’s probably got as much defensive quality as I had and he is quite capable of doing a very good job for Liverpool.

“I really do think he’s a top quality addition.”

Although Johnson’s official price tag of £17million smashes the £7million Liverpool paid for Andrea Dossena – their previous most expensive defender – last summer, a large chunk of the fee will be absorbed into funds Portsmouth still owe the Reds for Peter Crouch when he moved to Fratton Park a year ago.

Johnson’s move will also speed up Alvaro Arbeloa’s exit, with the Spaniard poised to return to former club Real Madrid.

Liverpool Echo link

Put that trumpet down, Phil!!  ;)
      Can Nando get better ::)
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #78: Jun 29, 2009 11:34:29 am
      cant wait to see Johnson in action 17m a lot of money for a defender but lets hope he's worth it
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2009 12:38:58 am by MsGerrard, Reason: His names Johnson ! »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #79: Jun 29, 2009 12:07:16 pm
      cant wait to see jonston in action 17m a lot of money for a defender but lets hope he's worth it

If he can reproduce the form he showed for Pompey last season surrounded with a better class of player then i think he will go on to become a very good player for us and hopefully he will chip in with a few goals and assists as he's quite capable of doing so
      yowg8ynwa
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts |
      Reply #80: Jun 29, 2009 12:11:09 pm
      Yeh me 2 that says an awfull lot about the lad really doesnt it

true true its a good thing to see from players
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #81: Jun 29, 2009 12:13:01 pm
      any idea when hes being unveiled or has it already happened? or are we just waiting a couple of days so we can unveil him with silva too ;)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #82: Jun 29, 2009 12:14:55 pm
      true true its a good thing to see from players

Just goes to show he has not let the hype of being a millionaire footballer go to his head and he remembers his roots and is willing to give something back to the community. I was quite surprised when I read that to be honest as Glen Johnson was probably one of the last footballers I would have expected to do such a thing. Nothing to do with his personality or attitude just with him being a young lad. Seems like he's very Grounded lad with his feet well and truly on the floor
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #83: Jun 29, 2009 12:17:20 pm
      any idea when hes being unveiled or has it already happened? or are we just waiting a couple of days so we can unveil him with silva too ;)

He has not been unveiled yet I would Imagine it will probably be some time this week , you have got more chance of seeing him being unveiled with Jesus in that time frame other than Silva
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #84: Jun 29, 2009 01:45:08 pm
      Arbeloa on the way to Madried then!
      I have to say I don't really rate Johnson, then again I have not seen him play that much!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #85: Jun 29, 2009 01:46:24 pm
      He has not been unveiled yet I would Imagine it will probably be some time this week , you have got more chance of seeing him being unveiled with Jesus in that time frame other than Silva

We are just waiting to sign Villa, save money on a press conference see ;)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #86: Jun 29, 2009 01:46:45 pm
      I have to say I don't really rate Johnson, then again I have not seen him play that much!

So then how can you rate him?
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #87: Jun 29, 2009 01:48:59 pm
      So then how can you rate him?

I don't really!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #88: Jun 29, 2009 01:52:24 pm

We all have different opinions on players but I rate Johnson and he is just the kind of player we need to stretch defenses add that to the fact that Durk Kuyt was the highest scoring and assist threat of any winger in the premiership season last season then quite simply  Johnson can only increase our threat from the right hand side. Only the left hand side to sort Now and dare I say it but I think the elusive 19th is wrapped up before a ball is even kicked provided we can hold onto our key players
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #89: Jun 29, 2009 01:53:39 pm

No I'm saying how can you rate a player that 'you haven't seen much of'?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,010 posts | 3352 
      Reply #90: Jun 29, 2009 01:58:54 pm
      We all have different opinions on players but I rate Johnson and he is just the kind of player we need to stretch defenses add that to the fact that Durk Kuyt was the highest scoring and assist threat of any winger in the premiership season last season then quite simply  Johnson can only increase our threat from the right hand side. Only the left hand side to sort Now and dare I say it but I think the elusive 19th is wrapped up before a ball is even kicked provided we can hold onto our key players

Why was Kuyt so productive? Because he had a right back who knew his defensive duties, allowing Kuyt to concentrate much more on his attacking play. I personally don't think Kuyt will be half as effective this year with Johnson because of our new signing's natural desire to push up. Because of Kuyt's work ethic he'll, hopefully, be able to fill the gaps Johnson leaves, but it'll mean Kuyt won't be as far forward as he was with Arbeloa.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #91: Jun 29, 2009 02:07:28 pm
      Why was Kuyt so productive? Because he had a right back who knew his defensive duties, allowing Kuyt to concentrate much more on his attacking play. I personally don't think Kuyt will be half as effective this year with Johnson because of our new signing's natural desire to push up. Because of Kuyt's work ethic he'll, hopefully, be able to fill the gaps Johnson leaves, but it'll mean Kuyt won't be as far forward as he was with Arbeloa.

I agree with you to a certain extent as Kuyt is going to have to fill the holes that Johnson leaves behind but the two of them will work in tandem hopefully forging an understanding & possibly leading to both players getting goals and creating chances for other players

Quick Reply