Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2764509 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #20424: Feb 07, 2016 11:15:28 pm
      One of the reasons i stopped posting on this forum and so did several other fans, is because sometimes it feels more like a tin foil hat conspiracy site and if anyone dares to think different gets warned or mocked by the ruling elite.
      Mate, don't know you or of you. first time I have ever seen your handle here. but please don't give anyone the satisfaction of running you off this or any other site. No on here is right a 100% of the time or even 50% of the time...As i remind people here (and have been reminded myself) this is a debating/discussion site basic on opinions    and yours is as valid as anyone else..... Keep posting
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #20425: Feb 07, 2016 11:17:40 pm

;D - you're the one defending Klopp from any blame - as he is clearly FSG's man it looks like you're the plant now  ;) xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #20426: Feb 07, 2016 11:21:24 pm
      Well least you've got company :) I don't know why such cynical fans bother going to a match, it's clear unless something exciting happens they are miserable gits. surely they should be UFO searching instead

Ah ignore them mate and keep posting - they contradict themselves two or three times within the same paragraph; if nothing else it provides some amusement amongst the more genuine posters on here, of which there are many.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #20427: Feb 08, 2016 04:54:37 pm
      Well least you've got company :) I don't know why such cynical fans bother going to a match, it's clear unless something exciting happens they are miserable gits. surely they should be UFO searching instead

Says the scab shithouse!!

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #20428: Feb 08, 2016 06:34:31 pm
      I'd take a Jack Walker type owner right now.

FSG are doing what they agreed to to by building or refurbishing the Stadia, that was part of the sale agreement & also not putting the club in debt by doing such...

Another who bought the league.

No thanks.

bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #20429: Feb 08, 2016 09:48:25 pm
      i think the prices will drop when they can,
      How do you make that out , nothing ever drops in price , once they start going up and if something isn't done about it then
      your in big trouble in trying to rolling it back . This isn't a F***ing supermarket where you go down to Lidl and get your groceries just because Tesco are dearer . The supporters that walked are justified in their actions absolutely .
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #20430: Feb 08, 2016 11:46:26 pm

No thanks.

For a club & place he loved..
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20431: Feb 08, 2016 11:46:50 pm
      From the headlines for tomorrow's papers it looks like the media have turned.

Carra:

If you hit the jackpot on the lottery this week, what is the first thing you would do? Iā€™d say you would go straight to your mum and dad and make sure they were looked after.

They are the constants in your life, the ones providing support when it is most needed. Could you imagine reaching a point where money was no longer an issue but not looking after those closest to you?

That is the only comparison I can draw in this debate over Premier League ticket prices. The new television deal, which will see Ā£5billion pumped in domestically and another Ā£3bn from overseas, means 20 clubs have won the lottery.

So why are they not taking this chance to look after the fans? Look at Liverpool. The decision to implement the most expensive seats in the clubā€™s history has led to uproar on Merseyside and the backlash during the game against Sunderland has brought this issue sharply into focus.
      I was at Anfield on Saturday when Liverpool fans took their stand about the club publishing a price list for tickets next season that will cost as much as Ā£77. I walked out, along with another 10,000 or so, in the 77th minute.
      People have said to me since then ā€˜itā€™s ok for you on your big wages, thatā€™s why the prices are so highā€™. I was paid well, yes, but I was there for 17 years and in comparison to some of the other players who were in that squad, it was fair.

Thatā€™s what you want ticket prices to be: fair. I know the increase will not impact on me but I also know plenty about my city ā€” Ā£77 is too much to watch a game anywhere but that price is particularly over the top in Liverpool.
      Why have they done it? It has been explained that it is only 200 seats for six best games of the season. If they had made the tickets Ā£60, which is still expensive, Liverpoolā€™s profits would fall by Ā£20,400.

Is the negative PR from all this worth it? No, especially when you think ā€” to put things into perspective ā€” the club are still paying a large portion of Mario Balotelliā€™s wages even though heā€™s now at AC Milan.

Liverpool generate around Ā£35million from ticket income. Had FSG announced a freeze on prices when the new stand was completed, the income would have risen to Ā£37m. The increase means they could generate Ā£39m.
      All this for the sake of Ā£2m for the ninth richest club in the world! That would not make the slightest difference when it comes to negotiating for a player. If JĆ¼rgen Klopp wants to sign someone and the asking price is Ā£2m more than Liverpool expected, will they miss out on the player? No. But Ā£2m back in the pockets of fans? That would be huge.

The club say that Ā£77 gets you the best seat in the newest stand in the country but why should that be an elitist thing? Why canā€™t the normal working man have the chance to sit there? It isnā€™t fair.
      Walking out, though, wasnā€™t a nice experience. The pictures you will have seen were visually striking ā€” and they struck a chord with Fenway Sports Group, the clubā€™s owners ā€” but it wasnā€™t a happy atmosphere inside the stadium as fans argued with each other.

For a short time, it took me back to 2010 when the reign of previous owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett was falling apart. That was an awful time and this situation cannot be allowed to escalate. There can be no denying, however, Liverpool have got this wrong.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3437944/Premier-League-clubs-duty-look-supporters-wasn-t-nice-walking-Anfield-fans-need-make-stand.html
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #20432: Feb 08, 2016 11:48:01 pm

No thanks.

For a club & town he loved..
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,416 posts | 3409 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #20433: Feb 08, 2016 11:52:36 pm
      I have a problem with my rhododendrons, they haven't been growing properly, what, this is a football forum, my mistake, i saw the stuff about plants...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #20434: Feb 09, 2016 12:01:11 am
      From the headlines for tomorrow's papers it looks like the media have turned.

Carra:

If you hit the jackpot on the lottery this week, what is the first thing you would do? Iā€™d say you would go straight to your mum and dad and make sure they were looked after.

They are the constants in your life, the ones providing support when it is most needed. Could you imagine reaching a point where money was no longer an issue but not looking after those closest to you?

That is the only comparison I can draw in this debate over Premier League ticket prices. The new television deal, which will see Ā£5billion pumped in domestically and another Ā£3bn from overseas, means 20 clubs have won the lottery.

So why are they not taking this chance to look after the fans? Look at Liverpool. The decision to implement the most expensive seats in the clubā€™s history has led to uproar on Merseyside and the backlash during the game against Sunderland has brought this issue sharply into focus.
      I was at Anfield on Saturday when Liverpool fans took their stand about the club publishing a price list for tickets next season that will cost as much as Ā£77. I walked out, along with another 10,000 or so, in the 77th minute.
      People have said to me since then ā€˜itā€™s ok for you on your big wages, thatā€™s why the prices are so highā€™. I was paid well, yes, but I was there for 17 years and in comparison to some of the other players who were in that squad, it was fair.

Thatā€™s what you want ticket prices to be: fair. I know the increase will not impact on me but I also know plenty about my city ā€” Ā£77 is too much to watch a game anywhere but that price is particularly over the top in Liverpool.
      Why have they done it? It has been explained that it is only 200 seats for six best games of the season. If they had made the tickets Ā£60, which is still expensive, Liverpoolā€™s profits would fall by Ā£20,400.

Is the negative PR from all this worth it? No, especially when you think ā€” to put things into perspective ā€” the club are still paying a large portion of Mario Balotelliā€™s wages even though heā€™s now at AC Milan.

Liverpool generate around Ā£35million from ticket income. Had FSG announced a freeze on prices when the new stand was completed, the income would have risen to Ā£37m. The increase means they could generate Ā£39m.
      All this for the sake of Ā£2m for the ninth richest club in the world! That would not make the slightest difference when it comes to negotiating for a player. If JĆ¼rgen Klopp wants to sign someone and the asking price is Ā£2m more than Liverpool expected, will they miss out on the player? No. But Ā£2m back in the pockets of fans? That would be huge.

The club say that Ā£77 gets you the best seat in the newest stand in the country but why should that be an elitist thing? Why canā€™t the normal working man have the chance to sit there? It isnā€™t fair.
      Walking out, though, wasnā€™t a nice experience. The pictures you will have seen were visually striking ā€” and they struck a chord with Fenway Sports Group, the clubā€™s owners ā€” but it wasnā€™t a happy atmosphere inside the stadium as fans argued with each other.

For a short time, it took me back to 2010 when the reign of previous owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett was falling apart. That was an awful time and this situation cannot be allowed to escalate. There can be no denying, however, Liverpool have got this wrong.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3437944/Premier-League-clubs-duty-look-supporters-wasn-t-nice-walking-Anfield-fans-need-make-stand.html

Top read that and a really well put together article from Carra and unsurprisingly he's bang on.

Everyone of those fans that walked out on 77 mins should be proud of themselves, in my opinion it was a brilliant moment in the fans v owners struggle. Hopefully it will have the desired effect at least each and everyone of them can say they tried.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20435: Feb 09, 2016 01:10:28 am
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20436: Feb 09, 2016 04:02:27 am
      Haven't read this thread to avoid some of the same conversations i've had in here and it's obvious i like their ownership because i see the business side of sport from both sides - the ownership and the fans.

Firstly, i think it's normal that when something like this happens that ticket prices rise - an expansion to a stadium with better seating and facilities usually results in higher prices. However, i think it's the wrong time for this to happen. With so much talk of ticket prices in the Premier League months before this announcement, the owners have looked to apply a normal outcome to an abnormal situation and it's backfired.

The result of the response from fans and media condemning the ticket pricing will be the way i judge them on this, though. If they were to respond with a backtracking of prices and returning to the previous ticket prices then i think that'll give them some credit (although will not completely heal the damage this has done to their reputation). However, if they go ahead with the prices then pretty much everyone will be angered and disappointed.

If they go ahead with it, it'll just get worse. Everyone transfer window they don't spend as much as fans want, every sponsorship deal they announce, everything. It'll be used as another way to attack them for being greedy and it'll create another H&G situation. If that happens, there'll be no winner in this. They'll get hounded, the fans will be angry, and the result will impact the team negatively and we could be back at square one.

Hoping something budges and they reconsider.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #20437: Feb 09, 2016 12:44:19 pm

nice bit of PR by the club there. didn't someone say these owners were "smart"?.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20438: Feb 09, 2016 12:49:15 pm
      nice bit of PR by the club there. didn't someone say these owners were "smart"?.

I'd like to see how the disabled fans are going to move seats to get a better price like Ayre suggested in his ill thought out interview on Friday.  What a bellend!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20439: Feb 10, 2016 12:39:43 am

That's quite disgusting.

Pure greed, and targeting the vulnerable.

Nasty.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #20440: Feb 10, 2016 09:47:29 am
      I would love someone to ask Ian Ayre just how much Balotelli has cost the club or Andy Carrol two F***ing costly disasters that the fans shouldn't be paying for. In their 11(?) transfer windows just how much have they wasted and I am not talking about net spend which is skewed with Luis and Sterlings money.
      So sort you financial management of the club out employ the right people and there would be no need to fleece the fans.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #20441: Feb 10, 2016 09:49:48 am
      You think it was a mistake giving Kenny all that money then?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #20442: Feb 10, 2016 09:53:19 am
      You think it was a mistake giving Kenny all that money then?

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #20443: Feb 10, 2016 10:02:48 am
      Yes - let's have another post about John Henry not being a good enough scout or Tom Werner getting the tactics wrong in the cup or Mike Gordon not showing Benteke how to do keepie-uppies.

Those horrible, nasty owners!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #20444: Feb 10, 2016 02:29:58 pm
      Yes - let's have another post about John Henry not being a good enough scout or Tom Werner getting the tactics wrong in the cup or Mike Gordon not showing Benteke how to do keepie-uppies.

Those horrible, nasty owners!

Here you go this post will be just for you and a standpoint you probably totally agree with!!

Matthew Syed - of the Times offers the following wisdom....

There were allegations of intimidation at Anfield on Saturday as fans staged a walkout in the 77th minute in protest at high ticket prices. It had been proposed by the club that season tickets in the main stand will go up, while other season and match-day tickets will come down. Not everyone backed the walkout, but many were made to feel uneasy for staying in their seats.

ā€œWhat did the walkout achieve?ā€ one fan asked on a website. ā€œIt turned Liverpool supporters against each other, people being bullied to leave, abused that they didnā€™t, in a highly divisive stunt that left those of us loyally supporting our team and our club, saddened and vilified.ā€ Similar sentiments were expressed on fan forums (albeit in less measured tones).

In a blog for ESPN, Steven Kelly, a Liverpool fan who joined the walkout, insinuated that fans who stayed in their seats were somehow disloyal, the ultimate slur on Merseyside. ā€œThose who left early would probably still watch Liverpool if they were relegated, while those who get so angry about the very idea of a walkout probably wouldnā€™t,ā€ he said. He had not a shred of evidence for this claim, but it captured the ill feeling.

The irony, of course, is that this kind of intimidation would most likely intensify if prices are reduced significantly. The reason for this will become clear as we go along, but it is underpinned by a statistic rarely acknowledged by campaigners, namely that stadium utilisation is near 100 per cent. At Arsenal, who have the highest season-ticket prices, the waiting list is measured in thousands. Nobody doubts that they could put up the prices and still sell out.

What this tells us is that prices are not too high. How could they be when they are being purchased in their entirety by willing buyers? It tells us something else too: if prices were lowered, the number of people attending games would be precisely the same as today. The only difference is that waiting lists would grow. This is what happens at every club, whether on the Continent or elsewhere, when prices are reduced below the market rate. After all, prices are a rationing mechanism. If you do not ration by price, you have to do it some other way.

And this brings us to intimidation. You see, when fan groups ask for lower prices, there is always a caveat. It is never spoken, never expressed, but it is always lurking in the background. What they really mean is that prices should be reduced for them. They want official fan groups to have privileged access to cheaper seats or those who already own season tickets. They want to exploit incumbency advantage, a closed shop in all but name, thus denying those eager to attend games but who are less well connected.

This is why the assertion that cheaper tickets represent a redistribution from greedy owners to hard-working fans is so intellectually disreputable. In fact, it is a redistribution from fans who bank the subsidy from those who are shut out. Given that almost all revenue raised by clubs is spent (few clubs ā€” with obvious exceptions ā€” make serious profits, despite what fans think), mainly on player wages and transfers, it would also affect the capacity of clubs to attract top talent.

In many instances, the unintended consequences of price-fixing are more troubling. In South America, black markets are rife, with thugs and ultras snaffling the subsidised seats. In Germany, ticket prices are cheaper than the Premier League, but this is partly because of spare capacity after a taxpayer-funded stadium redevelopment programme costing ā‚¬1.4 billion (about Ā£1.1 billion). We could do the same here, and fans would doubtless love it, but it is hard to see why taxpayers should subsidise football attendance rather than, say, hospitals or schools.

Take a step back for a moment. In the halcyon days before the ā€œawfulā€ Premier League, attendances were far lower than today. In 1988-89, the total attendance was 7.8 million. In the opening year of the Premier League (with 22 clubs), it was 9.8 million. Today, with modernised stadiums, the number is 13.9 million and rising. This isnā€™t greed; it is dynamism.

Many of the new fans are from ethnic minorities, who have fallen in love with the game, and there are more younger fans too. In 2014-15, 58,000 junior season tickets were sold across the top flight, 10,000 more than a decade earlier. Some poorer fans have undoubtedly been priced out, but the question campaigners rarely answer is how to ensure that subsidised tickets would go to those in genuine need rather than incumbents and the well connected, which is not the same thing at all. Do they want a means test, with yet more perverse consequences?

It is at this point that fan groups typically perform an about-turn. Confronted with the difficulties with their argument, they offer a new perspective. Instead of arguing for cheaper prices on moral grounds, they do so on grounds of long-term profitability. They say that poorer supporters are more vocal, adding to the atmosphere. They talk about how treating fans with respect (ie, offering tickets to lobbying groups below the market rate) would assist with community relations.

But we should be cautious of this kind of motivated reasoning, where arguments are cobbled together to reach a prejudged conclusion. Besides, you canā€™t have it both ways: you canā€™t say that clubs are greedily exploiting fans to maximise revenues in one breath and then claim that they are failing to maximise revenues in the next.

There are, of course, things that clubs could do better. I would love to see unused corporate boxes given to local kids. It would be great, too, to have further debate on safe standing. The issue of away fans also needs enlightened handling. A number of initiatives have led to a 6 per cent rise in away fan attendance, but the executive committee of the Premier League has promised to do more. It will be interesting to see its proposals in the coming months.

But the wider point is clear. While it would be popular to call for lower prices for home fans, it would also be dishonest. The arguments amount to little more than a series of well-manicured nonsequiturs. The latest doing the rounds, namely that an enhanced television deal provides scope for dramatic price reductions, is a case in point. It is like lobbying a large supermarket that has just made healthy profits to make massive cuts to food prices. Without any increase in supply, it would simply lead to painfully long queues, black markets, racketeering and, possibly, violence.

We should have learnt by now that the best way to alleviate poverty, a vital issue, is by creating wealth or redistributing it via the tax system. Trying to address poverty by rigging prices is the kind of incoherence that got the nation into trouble in the 1970s, and that should have been discredited for good. Nobody is forcing fans to go to games. Nobody is holding a gun to their heads. It is a voluntary transaction and, given that demand outstrips supply, there is only one conclusion: it represents good value for money
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #20445: Feb 10, 2016 03:36:33 pm
      Mathew Syed, well the less said the better. So his answer is to virtually ban anyone on less than Ā£50k a year. How can a so called football/sports writer not understand the history of the game and its supporters especially clubs like Liverpool. the fact this man aspires to become a Labour MP says all you need to know. His idea of working class probably thinks you have to drive a Jag rather than a Bentley
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #20446: Feb 10, 2016 04:10:03 pm
      Wow, they have got this so wrong its unreal... I wonder when they will retract the pricing and make changes.

Personally they should cut back Kop Tickets for the locals and remove any 'corporate' areas that are in there (Thomas Cook etc). Give the fans the opportunity to get these. They should reserve 1,500 seats as close to the Kop as possible and put these on sale at the club the week before a game on a first come first serve basis for locals to get the change - again at a low price.

Then, to supplement increase the executive packages and hospitality. If a fan has Ā£1,500 to pay on 1 ticket - they would pay Ā£1,600 or Ā£1,70 0 to be in a stadium absolutly buzzing with local fans who really care.

Seriously, NESV its not that hard... Ill do it for you in about 40 mins on Excel...

Quick Reply