Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Articles Of Interest

Read 3527 times
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 608 posts |
      Articles Of Interest
      Oct 30, 2010 11:06:49 am
      Wanted to post a rather interesting article I read off The Mail website, and finding it difficult to find somewhere to post a link, thought it might be a good idea to start a fresh thread where interesting 'Pool related articles could be posted and debated.
      Hope it works out...
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 608 posts |
      Re: Articles Of Interest
      Reply #1: Oct 30, 2010 11:08:40 am
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 608 posts |
      Reply #2: Nov 02, 2010 07:30:21 pm
      Rafa continues to make the headlines it would seem much more in association with us rather than for managing his new club. Make what you will of this...
      http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/11/02/2194671/inter-boss-rafa-benitez-may-not-sugar-coat-his-words-but
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 608 posts |
      Reply #3: Nov 02, 2010 07:47:05 pm
      ...er my apologies. The article with the link posted above is from talkaloadofbull.com. For some reason I can't post it as such, and having tried it myself, now realise the link isn't working.
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 608 posts |
      Reply #4: Nov 02, 2010 07:50:46 pm
      Okay, this is now seriously strange. I type G-o-a-l.com and get something totally different. Mods, am I NOT supposed to be posting links to this site for some reason. Apologies if so, don't understand what is going on if not...
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #5: Nov 02, 2010 07:54:50 pm
      ...er my apologies. The article with the link posted above is from talkaloadofbull.com. For some reason I can't post it as such, and having tried it myself, now realise the link isn't working.

eh? The link worked fine for me?

Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 608 posts |
      Reply #6: Nov 02, 2010 08:00:25 pm
      Right, being the determined so an so that I am, I've copied the article below. As I said earlier, make of this what you will...

Inter boss Rafa Benitez may not sugar-coat his words, but dismissing him as a mad ranter is wide of the mark
      There's nothing wrong with the odd Spanish proverb
      2 Nov 2010 12:20:00
      COMMENT
      By Amar Singh

He's been out of the English game for just a few months yet Rafa Benitez has continued to make the headlines on these shores with two ripostes at his critics. And, as is often the case with Benitez - his comments are very swiftly dismissed as, 'weird' or 'strange'.

The first was his rebuttal to the claims of Tom Hicks, that it was he, not the debt-accumulating Texan and his estranged co-owner George Gillett who is responsible for the predicament that Liverpool find themselves in.

‘We have a saying in Spanish, which is, “White liquid in a bottle has to be milk”.

'Rant', 'mad' and 'bizarre' were just some of the words used to describe Rafa's comments yet what he said in the context of his answer was really not that hard to understand - that if Hicks and Gillett look like they have done a bad job then that is probably the case.

The latest 'Rafa rant' came this week as Benitez responded to claims by his successor at Liverpool, Roy Hodgson, that he had left him with a squad of expensive failures.
      "Every single press conference is worse than the last one. He’s talking about things he doesn’t know. Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."

Again this one has been labelled a 'cryptic rant' and the 'tirade to end all tirades'. However is it that hard to ascertain that Benitez is using a proverb to say that perhaps Hodgson can't blame Liverpool's poor start to the season purely on the players he inherited?

Benitez has never been able to draw on much love from the English media.

To understand why the Spaniard has endured as a whipping boy of the press largely due to a strained relationship with the media during his five years at Liverpool.

It is fair to say that Rafa Benitez hardly endeared himself to the media. He lacked the audacious charm of Jose Mourinho, the old school self-assurance of Sir Alex Ferguson or the professorial poise of Arsene Wenger.
      Rafa Benitez was the serious and very guarded tactician. In interviews, his stock answers ranged from 'we are focused on the next match' to 'we try to bring quality to the squad'.

He rarely praised his players individually or made impassioned, heartfelt remarks. He was a journalist's nightmare in many ways.

But this mattered little to Liverpool fans as he delivered the Champions League and the FA Cup in his first two seasons and made the Reds one of the most formidable teams in Europe.

The moment he did break from this 'shield up' approach to the media, Rafa made the error of going after the game's untouchable Sir Alex Ferguson in his now infamous 'facts rant' in January 2009.

It was held against him as Liverpool lost ground in the title race and subsequently every thing that Rafa says in his defence is often tagged as a 'rant'.

This coupled with a colloquialism that may not make immediate sense gets tagged as a 'cryptic' or 'weird' rant.

Yet English football managers use proverbs and cliches all the time.

When Sir Alex Ferguson uses the metaphor of two cows in a field to explain his thoughts on why Wayne Rooney had decided to questions the club's ambition is it dismissed as a 'bizarre tirade' or 'rant'?

Football managers can also, quite literally, rant.

We have seen it this season from Ian Holloway, who seems to be celebrated for his ranting and yes even the 'genial' Roy Hodgson can lose control from time to time.

When he ended a press conference by dodging a question on Fernando Torres and telling the Norwegian journalist who asked it that he never wanted to work in either Norway or Denmark again before walking out, it went down like a lead balloon with the club's sizeable Scandinavian fan base.  But this went unreported by the UK media.

Has Hodgson benefited from being one of the few English managers at a big Premier League club?

For the fans of Liverpool Rafa Benitez was always going to be a tough act to follow despite the travails of last season.

But for the media, Roy Hodgson was deemed a breath of fresh air with his 'frank and chatty' style in the press conferences - which made for lively articles - until the results started going against him.

This is not a defence of Rafa Benitez and every decision he ever made at Liverpool. There were many poor signings along the way and an inability to hold on to good squad players in particular which ultimately cost him.

When he left Anfield in the summer few Liverpool supporters howled in protest.

But as with so many issues in football there can be no single answer. Liverpool's decline began under Rafa and has plumbed new depths under Hodgson - all against the backdrop of one of the most disastrous stewardships of a club in modern day football.

Thankfully Hicks and Gillett have gone and whatever your view is on Hodgson or Benitez and their relative merits or failings, both would do well to keep their own counsel now on who is to blame for Liverpool's descent into relative mediocrity.

Liverpool, a club once known for keeping all business in-house and appointing managers from within its vaunted boot room, has emerged from a period in which all its dirty laundry has been hung out in public.

Feuding owners, high court battles, Texan injunctions and now missives aimed at each other by Benitez and Hodgson are about as compatible with the club that Bill Shankly built as leveraged debt is popular with supporters.

Nevertheless, dismissing Rafa Benitez as a mad ranter simply because he may use the odd Spanish colloquialism to make his point says more about our insularity than it does about his state of mind.
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 608 posts |
      Reply #7: Nov 02, 2010 08:03:36 pm
      eh? The link worked fine for me?

Glad to hear it. Seems my computer is going mad. It isn't working on mine. But its now posted above anyway...
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #8: Nov 02, 2010 08:07:41 pm
      Glad to hear it. Seems my computer is going mad. It isn't working on mine. But its now posted above anyway...

no worries, altho you missed the English equivalents ;)
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 608 posts |
      Reply #9: Nov 02, 2010 08:17:37 pm
      no worries, altho you missed the English equivalents ;)
      So wrong of me, quirkiest part of the whole article. Mistake duly corrected... :D

Rafa for beginners

On Valencia in 2004

What Rafa said: "I asked for a table and they bought me a lampshade"

The meaning: "The club didn't buy the players I wanted"

The context: Despite winning the Primera Division and the Uefa Cup in the 2003-04 season, Benitez fell out with Valencia director Jesus Garcia Pitarch over the players he wanted the club to sign. He left for Liverpool shortly after making this statement.

An English equivalent? If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys

On Liverpool in 2010

What Rafa said: "White liquid in a bottle has to be milk"

The meaning: "If something appears to be what it is, that's usually because it is exactly that"

The context: Benitez used this proverb to illustrate that the anger directed towards Hicks and Gillett was not misplaced. He claimed that all of Liverpool's problems began as soon as they took over the club and pointed to their hiring of Christian Purslow, in particular, as instrumental to changing the way the club was run - to its detriment.

An English equivalent? If it walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck - it's a duck

On Liverpool in 2010, again

What Rafa said: "Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar"

The meaning: A Spanish saying which is used to refer to a situation where someone cannot see something that is so obvious before them. The black robes of a priest on a mountain of sugar would stand out as such.

The context: Rafa is saying that Roy Hodgson cannot see the quality of the squad he has inherited.

An English equivalent?  He can't see the wood for the trees.

red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #10: Nov 02, 2010 09:03:51 pm
      The 'sugar' reference completely sums up Roy for me.  Loaning Aquilani, silly comments about Torres, Reina and Agger and bigging up Carragher and Gerrard.

Gotta love Rafa.  It's true, people say he's mad because they are AFRAID!!!
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • JĂźrgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #11: Nov 02, 2010 09:50:18 pm
      So wrong of me, quirkiest part of the whole article. Mistake duly corrected... :D

Rafa for beginners

On Valencia in 2004

What Rafa said: "I asked for a table and they bought me a lampshade"

The meaning: "The club didn't buy the players I wanted"

The context: Despite winning the Primera Division and the Uefa Cup in the 2003-04 season, Benitez fell out with Valencia director Jesus Garcia Pitarch over the players he wanted the club to sign. He left for Liverpool shortly after making this statement.

An English equivalent? If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys

On Liverpool in 2010

What Rafa said: "White liquid in a bottle has to be milk"

The meaning: "If something appears to be what it is, that's usually because it is exactly that"

The context: Benitez used this proverb to illustrate that the anger directed towards Hicks and Gillett was not misplaced. He claimed that all of Liverpool's problems began as soon as they took over the club and pointed to their hiring of Christian Purslow, in particular, as instrumental to changing the way the club was run - to its detriment.

An English equivalent? If it walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck - it's a duck

On Liverpool in 2010, again

What Rafa said: "Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar"

The meaning: A Spanish saying which is used to refer to a situation where someone cannot see something that is so obvious before them. The black robes of a priest on a mountain of sugar would stand out as such.

The context: Rafa is saying that Roy Hodgson cannot see the quality of the squad he has inherited.

An English equivalent?  He can't see the wood for the trees.

That clears that up so. Only joking. If only the media
      could explain as you just did then they would stop trying to
      portraying him as a lunatic instead of the great man we knew him
      to be.
      redrox
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 578 posts | 13 
      Reply #12: Nov 09, 2010 12:58:38 am
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #13: Nov 09, 2010 03:22:49 am
      thats like me saying i hate how hot it is today and an article stating i may move to the snow.
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 608 posts |
      Reply #14: Dec 23, 2010 05:09:06 am
      Found a good one on the new Rafa situation from The Guardian...
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/dec/22/liverpool-fans-rafael-benitez-hodgson
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Feb 22, 2011 12:01:39 pm
      Fans will be able to make purchases on Liverpool FC's new mobile site.

http://www.dma.org.uk/news/nws-dmitem.asp?id=6428&t=Liverpool+FC+launches+new+mobile+site

Liverpool FC has decided to up its mobile marketing efforts and launch a new, fully transactional mobile site.

The football club's site, which was developed by Liverpool FC's e-commerce service provider, Snow Valley, enables fans to visit the Liverpool FC online store on their smartphone.

Fans will also be able to browse the club's kit and other merchandise and make purchases from their phone.

Chris Jennions, internet sales manager at Liverpool FC, said the club is "absolutely delighted" with the new mobile store.

"It was driven by our fans; we could see that they were visiting the site with their phones and so it made sense to provide them with a really good mobile-optimised shopping experience," the Liverpool representative said.

Earlier this month, figures from the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker revealed that there was a 74.4 per cent increase in the number of smartphones shipped in 2010 compared to 2011.

Posted by Nicola Carpenter

Liverpool becomes world’s first football club with its own mobile store
      Submitted by Paul Skeldon on February 22, 2011 – 12:01 pmNo Comment
      Liverpool FC has become the first football club in the world to launch a fully transactional mobile store. The new mobile site, developed by Liverpool FC’s e-commerce service provider Snow Valley, lets fans visit the club’s online store, browse the full range of kit and other merchandise, and securely make purchases – all from their mobile phones.

The service is based around a mobile-optimised version of the football club’s online store and offers the same experience to mobile customers as they get online, allowing for the purchase of goods using credit card. PayPal is set to be added to both online and mobile sites presently.

The club is also looking at developing the mobile site to offer fans different content through the handset, including ticketing, and to develop “a proper strategy for engaging with mobile-using customers”, says Chris Jennions, internet sales manager at LFC.

“Our new mobile store was driven by our fans; we could see that they were visiting the site with their phones in their thousands and so it made sense to provide them with a really good mobile-optimised shopping experience,” adds Jennions.

The mobile store is the first to be launched on Snow Valley’s MUSE e-commerce platform. The MUSE multi-device capability allows retailers on the MUSE platform to easily extend their online store to mobile phones, kiosks, other in-store devices, and additional channels such as Facebook.
      « Last Edit: Feb 22, 2011 01:30:24 pm by racerx34 »

Quick Reply