Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3046563 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #18354: Oct 23, 2014 10:13:56 am
      His tactic has been get an early goal bring the opposition on to us and counter attack them to death.
      Only FSG know why he was given a job at a world renowned club with so little experience of top flight management or of a to flight club as a player.
      I don't know how to rate him playing Balotelli last night seemed more about his Ego than playing a player who is in form and could get us a goal.What the F**k has Lambert done to him I really don't know.He scored 12 league goals last season and had a good assist level too.He was determined to get shut of the old guard regardless of their ability.He even wanted shut of Henderson which makes me believe he wanted his players and no other.
      His signings have been abysmal Kenny got slaughtered for the Andy Carrol signing but that was one bad one the list since Brendan came in is almost endless.
      We have bought very average players for top money and now we don't have a recognised top striker available after spending £100mil.
      He needs to get on the training pitch and get help defensively and stop talking to the media all the time.
      Great opportunity on Saturday to stuff Hull and move into 4th and use that as a platform to move forward after a very very poor start to this season
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,675 posts | 145 
      Reply #18355: Oct 23, 2014 10:18:16 am
      Sorry but BR has the big part of the blame it's not only just players first of all :
      He had sh*t loads of money to spend and yet he bought some average players , don't say for the future you might buy one or two for the future but you can't buy 9 players and just simply wait for them we needed depth and game changing players we have got none .

Secondly we all know since masherano left that we needed a super star DMF player that can track players , it's been 3 years now and we haven't got a proper DMF .

Thirdly we had all the time in the world to buy a striker since we all knew that Suarez is leaving yet we left it until the last time and panicked buy someone that need baby sitting and act like a child .

Finally there's no tactic or what so ever we can't defend even we bring hummles in we will still consead stupid goals , sakho is a beast with France and yet he turns to utter sh*t with us . It's been 3 years now and BR keep doing the same mistakes .

I don't blame our owners they supported BR but he spent on bunch of mid instablished players , so many players were available but we wasted it , what's the point of wasting £20m on markovic instead of that can't we not just buy someone good well known ready to be a world class and giving him 120k , it's not that we can't afford paying 120k and even 150k to some players infact we spent more than many other teams , I just call it bad management and both BR and the transfer committee are responsible for it , I feel the manager need to step up and say I need some F***ing world class players to compete and BR isn't doing that , he's just sitting there and waiting for a miracle to happen sorry but not after losing one world class player that needed replacing , I know some of my words are a bit harsh but it's my opinion however I still like the guy but sometimes you just have to say what you think .
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18356: Oct 23, 2014 10:58:07 am
      I agree with you ....Sakho is out best defender. Now I haven't got stats to prove it
      And you won't find 'em stats either Ian - even if you try. Don't let me stop you tho' as you might be surprised who was [statistically anyhow] 'our best defender/centre back pairing'.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18357: Oct 23, 2014 10:58:11 am
      This is certainly the toughest period he has had since being at the club, probably the hardest challenge is to get us going now with where we are and the squad he has, more difficult than when he first arrived as this is his squad.. More difficult than winning over the fan base to start with.

Brendan talks a great game, he talks in riddles that he knows we will lap up, I'm sure he means what he says but the way he says it is designed to win us over.. I took a while to warm to him, mainly due to my utter distain for the way the owners sacked Kenny, it took me a big chunk of his first season to get back into things and try to rid the feeling that the club had changed over the last decade with the two most recent owners, I hated H&G for obvious reasons, I dislike Fenway for ultimately similar reasons, they see our club as a way to make money in the long term and we and success ultimately come a long way down their list of priorities, if at all we feature on them, but just because these are smarter at what they do and what they say doesn't mean that they are here for anything less..
      They recently said that CL isn't a necessary tool to our business model now that we are stable.. Well maybe not if you are simply talking profit, keeping a wage bill down, attracting players that ultimately are less of a gamble but potentially aren't going to take us to where we want to go..

This is going to the manager I promise

It's amazing how we can all read things different ways though, look at the summers transfer business, the headline that we have spent 100m looks great, it's not a small amount don't get me wrong but in the grand sceme of modern football if you seriously want to compete is it a lot? It's not really the way we have spent it.

The manager.. So last season with the help of one of the worlds best took us very close.. Going into the summer do we think that he was working with complete freedom in the market? I don't, I think he is working to the model set down to him , moneyball, lower wages, potential, sell on, lose less, less risk, less drain on the overheads. Do we honestly think if he had a choice of his own complete free will he wouldn't have replaced Suarez with more established stars? He must have looked and thought well two of my best most effective players last season were two worldys, even if one was coming towards the end, still a massive man in the dressing room.. So with two or three more of that type we can go the next step? However those types cost 50+ on their own and their wages are 6-8 times the size of a Markovic.. So no Brendan you can't and we work to this model..

He stated a month before signing Balotelli that we wouldn't, no chance.. And you know what I believe him, he wanted others but the moneyball theory pointed out that Balo was a risk worth taking and he was told we were bringing him in. So now he has to work with him.

The manager has got lots to work on and improve but I can't help but think he is trying to work within certain aspects pushed into him which for me he can't take the complete heat for..
      I'm sure had he been given the choice, a straight choice of Balotelli or Cavani then I think I know who he would rather work with but one would cost 16 million and be forced out of his previous club to the extent he takes a wage cut which the club love and the other would cost 45 million and want 200k..

Can we honestly say a Rafa would work under that type of owner? Where he couldn't get who he wanted? Did Fenway bring a younger man who would love the chance to be here no matter what was asked of him that they could mould themselves?
      All this talk of lvg as DOF when Rodgers came in, I don't blame Brendan for not wanting such a figure above him but I doubt for a second that van Gaal and Fenway would have lasted long as bedfellows either.

We had a great platform to kick on from last season and we needed to add a couple of worldys but that costs and Fenway won't cover that, Luis eventually got the wages but was brought in as a classic moneyball on 35k a week..  Hogan may have said it's not essential to our structure CL football but it is if you want to push on nowadays, either that or the only way you do get those top players when you're not in it is to well over pay on wage like Utd have this summer and we know to F**k they won't do that, F**k they wouldn't pay what was needed while we are in it.

Moneyball? An utter flawed system if you want to be winners.. A fantastic one if you want to keep the books straight.

So yes the manager has lots to work on on the training field and ultimately if he doesn't sort it he will have to go.. But he is trying to fight at the top table with and eat with the big boys sat on the floor and eating with a broken plastic fork

Get done what you can control Brendan, get the F***ing system sorted as last night was a bit embarrassing how they won so easily, like an older brother holding his kid brothers head while he swings like a windmill.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #18358: Oct 23, 2014 11:07:38 am
      His signings have been abysmal Kenny got slaughtered for the Andy Carrol signing but that was one bad one the list since Brendan came in is almost endless.
      We have bought very average players for top money and now we don't have a recognised top striker available after spending £100mil.

Exactly.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #18359: Oct 23, 2014 11:19:39 am
      Questions need answering & clarity must be shown as the whom has the last answer on player acquisitions, just touching on Danny & Mario for example, Rodgers is on record for not wanting him just like Sturridge, so do our committee which consist of ex Citeh scouts recommend Danny & Mario due to their previous relationship with both players & were they expecting Rodgers who is a great 'man manager' to get similar returns as to what we have seen with Danny with Mario?.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18360: Oct 23, 2014 11:21:24 am
      Questions need answering & clarity must be shown as the whom has the last answer on player acquisitions, just touching on Danny & Mario for example, Rodgers is on record for not wanting him just like Sturridge, so do our committee which consist of ex Citeh scouts recommend Danny & Mario due to their previous relationship with both players & were they expecting Rodgers who is a great 'man manager' to get similar returns as to what we have seen with Danny with Mario?.

Somewhere this week (and I can't remember where right now) I heard that certain people at City told us not to touch Mario
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #18361: Oct 23, 2014 11:26:41 am
      Somewhere this week (and I can't remember where right now) I heard that certain people at City told us not to touch Mario

The problem I have with the Mario bashing is that if he's so bad, then it's easy to just drop him. We aren't dropping him because Rodgers believes Lambert and Borini are even worse.

That's the manager's fault for not getting in better substitute strikers. The £20m on Markovic would have been better spent on another striker. Balotelli has started very poorly at Liverpool. But he wouldn't even be in the team if our squad was properly assembled.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18362: Oct 23, 2014 11:32:01 am
      The problem I have with the Mario bashing is that if he's so bad, then it's easy to just drop him. We aren't dropping him because Rodgers believes Lambert and Borini are even worse.

That's the manager's fault for not getting in better substitute strikers. The £20m on Markovic would have been better spent on another striker. Balotelli has started very poorly at Liverpool. But he wouldn't even be in the team if our squad was properly assembled.

I'm not really in the bashing Mario camp personally, was just saying what I'd heard.

In terms of Markovic and depth that goes back to my post on the previous page, I can't say for certain that the manager had any sort of casting vote on who is coming in.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #18363: Oct 23, 2014 11:37:27 am

In terms of Markovic and depth that goes back to my post on the previous page, I can't say for certain that the manager had any sort of casting vote on who is coming in.

I don't believe any player comes in that he doesn't green light. Especially not in the summer considering how well he did last season and signing a new contract.

However I don't believe a player is signed based solely on his opinion, either.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18364: Oct 23, 2014 11:57:44 am
      Do we honestly think if he had a choice of his own complete free will he wouldn't have replaced Suarez with more established stars?
      Jon you know me long enough to know that I've had serious concerns about our transfer policy for some while now. Certainly long enough to know that I want to apportion most of the blame, for "failed" transfers, on FSG and their policies.

The thing is: the ability to do that [apportion most blame] was taken away from me, you and even Brendan when Brendan declared that he had first call, that he had last call and that the club would never sign a player he didn't want.

Now we can argue (and make no mistake, I will) that FSG's policies mean that Brendan was, in fact, just bullshitting 'cause he's towing the company line but...

Similarly FSG could easily point out that, at the very least, Brendan has been compliant.

It leaves us between a rock and a hard place - Brendan was either bullshitting and we acknowledge that or Brendan has been a (willing) 'victim'. Either way it doesn't make for comfortable reading. I so want to pin this on FSG and their policies but sadly Brendan can't escape unscathed.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18365: Oct 23, 2014 12:11:10 pm
      Jon you know me long enough to know that I've had serious concerns about our transfer policy for some while now. Certainly long enough to know that I want to apportion most of the blame, for "failed" transfers, on FSG and their policies.

The thing is: the ability to do that [apportion most blame] was taken away from me, you and even Brendan when Brendan declared that he had first call, that he had last call and that the club would never sign a player he didn't want.

Now we can argue (and make no mistake, I will) that FSG's policies mean that Brendan was, in fact, just bullshitting 'cause he's towing the company line but...

Similarly FSG could easily point out that, at the very least, Brendan has been compliant.

It leaves us between a rock and a hard place - Brendan was either bullshitting and we acknowledge that or Brendan has been a (willing) 'victim'. Either way it doesn't make for comfortable reading. I so want to pin this on FSG and their policies but sadly Brendan can't escape unscathed.

Don't get me wrong Mouse, I'm not saying that Brendan should come out of the summer without any blame, if blame is the right word but I touched on that did Brendan get the job as somebody they could mould into the type of manager who would willingly work within the model?

Let's face it he was at Swansea, Liverpool come knocking he would take the job no matter if he had to work within a certain model.. We thrive on 'The Liverpool way' and not letting outsiders know the full workings so I don't doubt for a second he feeds the company line and believes that he is doing the right thing by doing so.

My point being that if he goes to them (the board or TC) and says I think that Cavani and Di Maria can get us over the line this season and we can get them but it will cost 100m in transfer fees and 30 million a year in wages and it's unlikely they will fetch a return in 3-4 years time and then they go... Mmmm no but we have these two lads here that will cost 35 million between them and take home 7-8 million in wages between them and in 5 years we could turn a profit.. What you reckon?
      I'd prefer my two..
      Well it's our two or none

Then him green lighting it and having the final say isn't quite what it's cracked up to be

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve criticism however I'm not sure what wriggle room he had
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18366: Oct 23, 2014 12:26:43 pm
      I'm not saying he doesn't deserve criticism however I'm not sure what wriggle room he had
      Well put it like this mate - he'd have had a lot more 'wriggle room' had he not claimed full responsibility. The thing is, he did so, claiming (for example) that Mario was a last resort is cringe-worthy at best.

In short - he's made a rod for his own back. He needs to get this season right and I, for one hope he does. Starting with proper coaching of our defence.  8)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18367: Oct 23, 2014 12:32:20 pm
      I think the question about the mysterious ways in which we buy players is at the root of our problems.
      Nobody really knows how it works and who is responsible.If certain restrictions are placed upon it are the player we have bought the only ones who fit within the limits it has been set.
      I blame Brendan for what happens on the pitch but I am still not sure our transfer policy can be placed firmly in his lap.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18368: Oct 23, 2014 12:34:17 pm

I think there was a que of people saying not to touch him but lets face it after the Remi deal we were desperate.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18369: Oct 23, 2014 12:41:37 pm
      Well put it like this mate - he'd have had a lot more 'wriggle room' had he not claimed full responsibility. The thing is, he did so, claiming (for example) that Mario was a last resort is cringe-worthy at best.

In short - he's made a rod for his own back. He needs to get this season right and I, for one hope he does. Starting with proper coaching of our defence.  8)

He does mate. It's what we all want
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18370: Oct 23, 2014 12:42:11 pm
      Brendan has bought over £210 million worth of  players last night we had Mig,Lovren,Moreno,Allen,Couthino and Balotelli start.That means that half the outfield players are still ones he took over.
      Something doesn't add up.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18371: Oct 23, 2014 12:46:15 pm
      He does mate. It's what we all want

I want him to desperately to succeed not because I have any form of man love for him but because the very last thing we need to do is change the manager either now or at the end of the season.
      We are were we have been many times close to having a really good team hindsight is a wonderful thing and its something we can all use on here but Brendan doesn't have that luxury.
      It reminds me a bit of Roy Evans tenure he produced a wonderful attacking team but we couldn't defend for peanuts. I don't think Brendan is capable of admitting he is weak in this department but if he did and he got a defensive coach he would go up in my estimation.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #18372: Oct 23, 2014 12:50:05 pm
      We keep saying the defense needs sorted....I wonder if that's even possible with the players we currently have.

Skrtel, Lovren, Sakho, Mignolet, Johnson?

Manqillo and Moreno have even come in for some stick for their defending as well lately so what do we really have to work with. At one time or another every one of those mentioned have been proclaimed as not up to Liverpoool standard.

Now I'm not saying this isn't a problem of Brendan's own making, but I certainly wonder if the best defensive coach in the world (which Brendan surely isn't) could get that bunch playing the way they need to play week in and out?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18373: Oct 23, 2014 12:53:24 pm
      We keep saying the defense needs sorted....I wonder if that's even possible with the players we currently have.

Manqillo and Moreno have even come in for some stick for their defending as well lately so what do we really have to work with. At one time or another every one of those mentioned have been proclaimed as not up to Liverpoool standard.
      Think about that FL  ;)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18374: Oct 23, 2014 12:54:30 pm

Now I'm not saying this isn't a problem of Brendan's own making, but I certainly wonder if the best defensive coach in the world (which Brendan surely isn't) could get that bunch playing the way they need to play week in and out?

you can do a lot with average defenders as long as they know their jobs and are well organised.
      At times our central defenders in particular seem to get in each others way. I think its definitely fixable and I would start by replacing Gerrards position with a proper defensive midfielder. No I don't know who we have who could do it but someone like Mascherano springs to mind.or Didi Hamman a player with their defensive capabilities.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18375: Oct 23, 2014 12:55:24 pm

No doubt mate that a more defensive type coach would tighten them up
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #18376: Oct 23, 2014 12:56:58 pm
      you can do a lot with average defenders as long as they know their jobs and are well organised.
      At times our central defenders in particular seem to get in each others way. I think its definitely fixable and I would start by replacing Gerrards position with a proper defensive midfielder. No I don't know who we have who could do it but someone like Mascherano springs to mind.or Didi Hamman a player with their defensive capabilities.

Problem is Walt, that we can't just add a Masch or Didi at this point in the season...we've got what we've got and if we don't turn things around come January it won't matter.

And I still think Brendan issued an ominous warning this past summer when he talked about how we won't be seeing spending sprees like that ever again...I think he blew his proverbial load and we'll be lucky to be seeing one player incoming in the next window.

Quick Reply