Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3046938 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #25116: Mar 03, 2015 10:47:00 am
      Although we are only 8 games into the second half of the season and therefore the graphic might be a bit misleading; the fact that the first and third seasons are so similar is still very interesting. Definitely food for thought and it gets the old grey matter working. [As you can see from Blud's post below.]

First season, integrating new players slow start to the first half of the season as new and old players got used to his system, surroundings etc, second half of the season top 4 form.
      Can't argue with that Blud but it's only part of the story if we are looking for patterns (in my opinion obviously). Would the first part of that season been as much of a write-off, points-wise, had we went into it with Sturridge, for e.g.?

The last day, transfer, cluster-F**k had a bigger part to play than integrating Joe Allen and Fabio Borini, in my opinion.

Second season no major tinkering or new additions, pretty much settled first XI consistently good for most parts of the season, mounted a title challenge.
      Again; I can't argue with that Blud other than to say that there were more new additions at the start of the second season than the first.

The fact that, after only some slight "tinkering", not too many of the new transfers were deemed good enough, to hold down a starting place, by Brendan [who 'voted' with his team selection], is what actually lead to a settled team, in my opinion.

[From a position of power] We didn't sign anyone that January transfer window - would that have made a difference in the final analysis?

Third season, new arrivals, losing star player, players adjusting to their new surroundings, Rodgers system etc, slow start to the first half of the season, second half of the season top 4 form.
      Spot on again Blud.

The only question is: was that decision [the not replacing the "star player" with one or two similar, in style, (if not quality) but instead signing so many squad players] a conscious decision - something which, in all honesty, effectively wrote-off the first part of the season and with it any chance of winning the title?

So... who made that conscious decision: Brendan, The Committee, Company Policy? I don't know.

As I said earlier; Brendan, in his second season, quickly stopped playing the new signings which weren't up to it. He soon realised that a settled team, with top quality up-front, was the secret behind a title challenge. The thing I ask myself is; why would he set that aside and knowingly write-off the first part of this season and a title challenge? The answer: in my opinion, he wouldn't - although I may be wrong.

If, as every Red hopes, we can maintain (or even better) the 2.5 ppg average, we should comfortably reach Champions League qualification - I reckon 2 ppg will do it tbh. And yes, I know, understand and fully appreciate that this, for many, is the "holy grail" but... couldn't it have been so much better? Anyhow...

As for next season: I totally agree with Mick (and you); we should be able to mount a serious title challenge from day one. The reason? I can't see Brendan (after what he's said recently) not demanding that we finally sign the two or three top quality players, he sees as necessary, to take us to the next level.

Give Brendan the tools and he'll do the job - of that I have no doubt.  :nod:

« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2015 10:58:41 am by bad boy bubby »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #25117: Mar 03, 2015 11:13:15 am
      I've probably seen more systems/tactical formations and greater flexibility from this guy as I have ever seen from any Liverpool manager. His lucid management style is fascinating. He constantly tinkers and tailors our team to the point that it's very difficult for opposition managers to pin him down.

Yesterday was an incredible turnaround from the first half of the season. A completely different team. To be able to transform them mid season from desperate to delightful is great management.

He should be commended for navigating through a rather bleak first half of the season and providing a certified style of play. 'But he was the reason for our bleak play' I hear his detractors cry. Wrong. It was merely a matter of circumstance that led us to that tricky period. A meteoric rise last season and then seeing your star player leave and then having to expand a desperately thin squad and integrate a wave of new players was always going to lead to another period of transition and adaption. Sadly we were a victims of our own relative success last season. We were all posed tough questions and totally lost as to how we would adapt the team and integrate the new players as well as handle injuries to key players. But Brendan kept a cool head when a lesser man wouldn't. We're not there yet but we're very much on course. We've got a squad that means we don't have major work to do in the summer. We've got cultivation and growth happening right now from our own players that will mean our young team will only get better. A couple of top class signings would be ideal but for the first time in a long time I actually sit here, in March, thinking that we don't need to confront the summer as a transfer battle where we seem more obsessed and desperate about what's available and what's needed from the market. We must concentrate on growth and settlement which means only buying a couple of top class players here and there to help that growth, not a needless haul of players coming in to halt such growth.

Excellent post, agree with it all.

Just to add, regarding your point about growth and settlement, I mentioned something similar a good while back.

People actually ignore/forget (whatever) the influence 'coaching' and systems have on improving team performance. People nowadays get hung up on the 'Footie Manager' model about consuming and buying players (not to say at this point, in case some rhubarb comes along and skews my point, that a couple of quality players wouldn't certainly go amiss), to improve the team.

In Rodgers' case, unlike a lot of managers I think, you can really see tangible evidence in our football that has been transformed from Melwood to Anfield and away.

Don't underestimate his ability to coach.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #25118: Mar 03, 2015 11:14:14 am
      Great post that from BBB. Shabs I'm not going to answer in the Brendan thread if that's OK with everyone else (infact even if it isn't Ok I still aren't).
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #25119: Mar 03, 2015 11:40:01 am
      Jeez, thanks Mick  :laugh: - although tbh it's only an opinion piece and really only based on what Brendan said. Being the great coach and man manager, as he undoubtedly is, he recognises that:

"There's no doubt along the way you have to bring in quality that's ready-made to help that growth." and...

"The model at the football club is clear in that the owners want to bring in young players in order to develop and create them into world class players... ... Of course, that can be a longer and more difficult process.... If you’re going to keep progressing, you also need those ready-made players."

So I can't take too much credit for pointing out what's blindingly obvious to not only Brendan but most folk.  :angel:
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #25120: Mar 03, 2015 03:33:09 pm
      ... "Needs a trophy" implies that if he doesn't get one we should look elsewhere, we shouldn't.

Yep, agree completely re. 'needs'.
      Anyone who is saying BR 'needs' a trophy should be also saying what they think should happen if he doesn't get a trophy.
      Cause that's what 'needs' implies ie. if you don't get it, this is what's going to happen.
      Given the way we're going in the league, he is deffo going nowhere.
      So have no clue why people think he 'needs' a trophy.

Obviously am sure he and the lads would love to win one, and will do their best until the final game of the season is played. But nowhere in that sentence is 'needs'.
      « Last Edit: Mar 03, 2015 09:09:11 pm by bmck »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #25121: Mar 03, 2015 05:21:36 pm

Fair enough.

But winning trophies is what football is about and if Brendan left here after 5,6, or even 8 years down the line without winning anything I think he'd see himself as failing.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #25122: Mar 03, 2015 05:38:13 pm
      Fair enough.

But winning trophies is what football is about and if Brendan left here after 5,6, or even 8 years down the line without winning anything I think he'd see himself as failing.

Yep, agree with that, though that's not the point I was commenting on.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #25123: Mar 03, 2015 07:02:03 pm
      I think he needs a trophy, because he is the manager of Liverpool FC!
      Any manager (or fan for that matter) that doesn't believe trophies are important, shouldn't be anywhere near a football club! Thankfully these people are few and far between. Mostly just PR plants for owners or the Sky generation.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #25124: Mar 03, 2015 09:10:53 pm
      Yep, agree completely re. 'needs'.
      Anyone who is saying BR 'needs' a trophy should be also saying what they think should happen if he doesn't get a trophy.
      Cause that's what 'needs' implies ie. if you don't get it, this is what's going to happen.
      Given the way we're going in the league, he is deffo going nowhere.

Obviously am sure he and the lads would love to win one, and will do their best until the final game of the season is played. But nowhere in that sentence is 'needs'.

Meant to say (as had that other needs a trophy thread in mind):
      "Anyone who is saying BR 'needs' a trophy this season should be also saying what they think should happen if he doesn't get a trophy."
      As time goes on though, would expect some silverware, which I'm positive BR will deliver.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #25125: Mar 03, 2015 09:58:53 pm
      The man is an excellent manager, full stop. You'll always have the doubters, which is fair enough, but there are some who wanted him out and they're not happy to have been proven wrong, their pride just won't allow them to hold their hands up and say "He's proven me wrong, keep the gaffer for a while". I've always admired him even at Swansea because of the style of football he instills in his teams.

Yesterday was a wonderful example of that attacking and slick passing game that I genuinely enjoy watching now. Once Danny gets back to his best, we'll be seeing a lot more goals as well. He has a good strategic brain proven by coming up with different systems that work, really good man-management skills as in the cases of Raheem, Migs, Lovren, Sakho to name a few, and he has the ability to bring the best out of players who many have said were average. Not sure what else you can ask for from a manager. I think some people are still obsessed with reputations and big names, which is a shame. He will win things with us, I just hope the owners aren't prone to knee-jerk reactions like the fans and give him time and the money to do it.

Excellent post this. The highlighted part for me encompasses the innovative/creative/versatile side of the manager which you can see in his ability to change the system to suit the needs of the team, as well as in his man-management skills -- bringing the best out of individuals who have had a tough time of it. This is also connected to the resilience we've shown in the context of a season full of challenges, which is another very healthy sign IMO. We're challenging for fourth and in with a decent chance of winning the FA Cup with a squad that still has so much potential and a manager who is well capable of bringing it out. If the owners are prepared to back him and add some ''ready mades'' to the mix (not a massive splurge or anything, but one or two carefully chosen ones would be nice), we can climb as high as we want.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25126: Mar 03, 2015 10:21:18 pm
      By contrast, LVG and Koeman have both tried the back 3 this season and both have failed at it. Brendan has used it and adjusted it to fit our players, resulting in 26 points out of 30 (i think).

Don't think many managers could get their team playing with a back 3, no striker, and 5 attacking midfielders to beat City and Southampton.

The man is a managerial beast.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #25127: Mar 04, 2015 09:35:08 am
      By contrast, LVG and Koeman have both tried the back 3 this season and both have failed at it. Brendan has used it and adjusted it to fit our players, resulting in 26 points out of 30 (i think).

Don't think many managers could get their team playing with a back 3, no striker, and 5 attacking midfielders to beat City and Southampton.

The man is a managerial beast.

Del Bosque used this set up with the Spanish national team.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #25128: Mar 04, 2015 10:36:23 am

I guarantee 100% they wouldn't have beaten City and Southampton.

:f_whistle:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #25129: Mar 04, 2015 11:34:09 am

Del Bosque could have played any formation for most of his time as Spain manager and won.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #25130: Mar 04, 2015 09:53:16 pm
      Another 3 points & another clean sheet.

Keep them coming.

Well in Boss.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #25131: Mar 04, 2015 10:10:41 pm
      Killing it. Keep it up big fella!
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #25132: Mar 04, 2015 10:12:28 pm
      Great job from Brendan, long may it continue. I hope for our sake he will keep this starting team and not try to fit Gerrard, Glen or Lucas in.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #25133: Mar 04, 2015 10:21:11 pm
      I hope for our sake he will keep this starting team and not try to fit Gerrard, Glen or Lucas in.

George...buddy...you're not helping yourself here.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #25134: Mar 04, 2015 10:26:44 pm
      Another dominant performance. Although Hendo's goal was great, that 2nd goal was a great example of how I think Brendan wants us to play.

From our own corner flag to the back of their net, great team goal that.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #25135: Mar 04, 2015 10:34:11 pm
      Not really sure why people have to rush onto the Brendan thread when we beat a relegation threatened team...............

Unless of course there was some amazing in game managerial tactics.......no thought not!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #25136: Mar 04, 2015 10:41:46 pm
      Not really sure why people have to rush onto the Brendan thread when we beat a relegation threatened team...............

Unless of course there was some amazing in game managerial tactics.......no thought not!

DWWDWWWDWWWW.

30 from 36.

Another win, another top class performance. If you don't want to read it, don't.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #25137: Mar 04, 2015 10:42:16 pm

I actually thought I was posting in the match thread  :D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #25138: Mar 04, 2015 10:50:13 pm
      DWWDWWWDWWWW.

30 from 36.

Another win, another top class performance. If you don't want to read it, don't.

Post it in the match thread buddy, Im sure Brendan won't mind the players getting the credit.

Quick Reply