Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3057017 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #25093: Mar 01, 2015 11:56:31 pm
      Wonderkid ? Then how would you define Mourinho who at 41 won every trophy possible with Porto ?

Brendan has potential, and he's doing a remarkable job in the past weeks, but it's the same man who got our blood boiling in the first part of the season, persisting in doing the same mistakes, thank god he fixed what was wrong, but saying he's a wonderkid in player's terms is a bit of a stretch.

Whilst you make a valid point about Brendan's early season stubbornness, even you have got to give credit where credit is due and admit he's presiding over a wonderful turn around of our season. Comparing him to Mourinho's time at Porto is like comparing Apples with Pears. It's a much different league with different levels of competition and Porto had far different levels of resources available to them. Who knows what Brendan might have won by now if he was managing them. Similarly there's no guarantee Mourinho would be where he is today had he managed a team in the EPL that was operating with limited budget. Remember, when he came to Chelsea the first time it was pre-FFP and just as the Oligarch's money was rolling in to the club. I'm not taking anything away from Mourinho, he's a great coach, but circumstances vary too much for honest comparisons to be made between the two.

Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #25094: Mar 02, 2015 12:02:16 am
      Man City game was the best Liverpool game i watched this season.Midfield worked perfectly in offence and defence,they pressurised Citys players really good.Sterlings finishing wasnt top class but what two goals we scored,awesome.We were the better team during whole game and what a game it was.Well done Brendan and the lads.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #25095: Mar 02, 2015 12:10:53 am
      Wonderkid ? Then how would you define Mourinho who at 41 won every trophy possible with Porto ?

Also a wonderkid? There's allowed to be more than one example. Sterling could also be described as a wonderkid and he hasn't won anything yet. Gotze is also someone who could be described as a wonderkid for Dortmund and has won a shitload.

Tell you what, if Rodgers is as good as Mourinho was then (for me, Mourinho's got worse since when he first came to the league), in the next few years I reckon we'll win a shitload.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,660 posts | 6955 
      Reply #25096: Mar 02, 2015 12:28:16 am
      He has continually corrected each and every mistake he's made whilst he's been our manager

Good point.  He has certainly shown willing in terms of changing tactics and even freezing out players he signed, even recently.  Both great attributes.

Long may it continue - could be a great week ahead with two victories that could see us move in to the top four and take a step closer to silverware.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25097: Mar 02, 2015 09:43:50 am
      Fantastic win yesterday Boss.  Got the selection and tactics bob on, made the necessary tweaks at half time yet didn't disrupt our flow with unnecessary changes.

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #25098: Mar 02, 2015 09:45:31 am
      This season more than last has convinced me the Gaffer is a great manager.

He's dealt with losing Suarez and Gerrard, has taken young players and for the most part has slotted them in very well. He's found positions for Lovren, Can, has tinkered with Lallana and Ibe at fullback, Couts is twice the player he was and Henderson has gone from 'sell the idiot' to 'long term captain'. He finds their strengths and plays to them.

He's dealt with adversity, changed systems and formations and he's getting the best out of players who were a laughing stock a few months ago. Although Allen and Lovren had good games against City, I believe they've steadily improved for longer than that. Just take a look at Migs. He wasn't dropped so much as he was taken out of the spotlight and he's come back as the best keeper in the Prem. We might not be the free scoring team we were last season, but we're now tighter at the back and a more efficient engine all around.

He even got Markovic playing like a top player for four whole weeks :D

Back him FSG.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #25099: Mar 02, 2015 09:51:31 am
      He is a young genius. He needs a silverware now ;)
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #25100: Mar 02, 2015 10:03:34 am

Brendan has potential, and he's doing a remarkable job in the past weeks, but it's the same man who got our blood boiling in the first part of the season, persisting in doing the same mistakes, thank god he fixed what was wrong, but saying he's a wonderkid in player's terms is a bit of a stretch.

Porto pretty much wins the league or comes second every year.

Mourinho is s top manager but quoting this as proof is like winning the Scottish league with Celtic.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #25101: Mar 02, 2015 10:09:41 am
      The man is an excellent manager, full stop. You'll always have the doubters, which is fair enough, but there are some who wanted him out and they're not happy to have been proven wrong, their pride just won't allow them to hold their hands up and say "He's proven me wrong, keep the gaffer for a while". I've always admired him even at Swansea because of the style of football he instills in his teams.

Yesterday was a wonderful example of that attacking and slick passing game that I genuinely enjoy watching now. Once Danny gets back to his best, we'll be seeing a lot more goals as well. He has a good strategic brain proven by coming up with different systems that work, really good man-management skills as in the cases of Raheem, Migs, Lovren, Sakho to name a few, and he has the ability to bring the best out of players who many have said were average. Not sure what else you can ask for from a manager. I think some people are still obsessed with reputations and big names, which is a shame. He will win things with us, I just hope the owners aren't prone to knee-jerk reactions like the fans and give him time and the money to do it.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #25102: Mar 02, 2015 10:21:54 am

Or, in other words

That feel good factor is definitely coming back!

My son told me we only play one game a week after the Burnley game. With a bigger squad of players we'll have the energy to play our pressing game to the hilt. The Gaffer said we were relentless yesterday and I agree; our players looked hungry.

Last season's last 3 fixtures

Chelsea (H)
      Palace (A)
      Newcastle (H)

This season's last 3 fixtures

Chelsea (A)
      Palace (H)
      Stoke (A)

We'll see
      « Last Edit: Mar 02, 2015 01:01:26 pm by Rush »
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #25103: Mar 02, 2015 01:17:17 pm
      made up for Brendan the board has stuck with him and he's now proven any doubters that if you stick with him he gets his teams playing and wining. i sooooo hope we win the FA cup and get a top 4 finish then have a nice summer rest with no world cup so playes are stronger and fresh.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #25104: Mar 02, 2015 07:53:13 pm
      We are fitter than most teams which is great, but another great thing about us at the moments is that if a couple of players get injured, the system is flexible for us to replace them. Injuring players is always going to be a disadvantage but I don't think it would be the same level of disadvantage as last year - if one of our players was injured, it would have been difficult to replace them considering the formation we played.

The ability to chop and change now and then will make us fresher than most, making our fit team look even more fit. Man City looked a lot more tired yesterday than us - also important to note their average squad age is about 6 years older than us so their recovery times aren't going to be as great as ours and even if they tried a pressing game, it wouldn't be as good as our young stars.

As much as it pains me to say it, I don't think it would be wise for Rodgers to accommodate Gerrard back in the side. Henderson and Lucas's form suffered with Gerrard alongside, and I honestly don't think we would have won yesterday's game with Gerrard playing. Allen put in a man of the match performance, with his pressing and penetration shielding the defence and linking up with attacks. With Gerrard there, he doesn't have the legs, so we would have suffered majorly in defence and attack if he had played.

It sounds cold I know, but this is about pruning the team - cutting the old dead branches to allow the tree to flourish, and that is sadly what is going to have to happen by omitting Gerrard from the starting line up. Rodgers holds all the cards in this aspect, so he must not bow to sentimentality - a dangerous thing that has held us back at times in the clubs history (e.g. Shankly holding into his players when they were past his primed). As sad as this is, for the sake of the team and the club, we must look forward, not back.
      « Last Edit: Mar 02, 2015 08:17:06 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #25105: Mar 02, 2015 08:20:12 pm
      Take away any arguments from earlier in the season between us fans as at the end of the day we all want the same thing and there is simply no place for the i told you so's in any walk of life for me but the 'turnaround' goes to show that patience is a virtue and that the school of thought that sacking a manager shouldn't be the first thought on the back of a bad run

Consistency is a key component in success for me and having a manager work an ultimate goal with a squad should be given the time to succeed rather than sacking and restarting the entire process again with a new man with a new style and a turnover of a squad to suit that again

I'm made up for the boss and I'm made up for every one of us who is a red that we are watching a winning team again

Keep it going redmen, it certainly makes the week more enjoyable
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,697 posts | 3936 
      Reply #25106: Mar 02, 2015 08:42:41 pm
      I think it's just phenomenal the way BR has got this team playing, I absolutely love watching us. When you think about some of the performances a few months ago, the way we were just leaking goals left right centre, to now cutting teams open with stunning patterns of play, it just boggles the mind.

I have so much faith in the manager, the jury is still out on some of his signings, but no one can question is football philosiphy and the way we respond to defeats.

I never thought we had a chance of being in the mix come this stage of the season and now 4th is actually in our own hands!!

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,563 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #25107: Mar 02, 2015 08:47:12 pm
      Just watched the goals again from the City game on recording, man it never gets old, cracking goals :)   Can't really underestimate how well BR has done recently, great run.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,291 posts | 4938 
      Reply #25108: Mar 02, 2015 09:05:40 pm
      I'm sure we've all had doubts about Brendan and some of the things he has done, especially earlier this season, but I sit here now and think if there would be anyone else I'd like in charge and the answer is a clear no.

He has proven he can change tactics, formations and players to find a way to get a winning side on the ptich and for that he deserves a lot of credit.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #25109: Mar 02, 2015 10:15:50 pm
      I've probably seen more systems/tactical formations and greater flexibility from this guy as I have ever seen from any Liverpool manager. His lucid management style is fascinating. He constantly tinkers and tailors our team to the point that it's very difficult for opposition managers to pin him down.

Yesterday was an incredible turnaround from the first half of the season. A completely different team. To be able to transform them mid season from desperate to delightful is great management.

He should be commended for navigating through a rather bleak first half of the season and providing a certified style of play. 'But he was the reason for our bleak play' I hear his detractors cry. Wrong. It was merely a matter of circumstance that led us to that tricky period. A meteoric rise last season and then seeing your star player leave and then having to expand a desperately thin squad and integrate a wave of new players was always going to lead to another period of transition and adaption. Sadly we were a victims of our own relative success last season. We were all posed tough questions and totally lost as to how we would adapt the team and integrate the new players as well as handle injuries to key players. But Brendan kept a cool head when a lesser man wouldn't. We're not there yet but we're very much on course. We've got a squad that means we don't have major work to do in the summer. We've got cultivation and growth happening right now from our own players that will mean our young team will only get better. A couple of top class signings would be ideal but for the first time in a long time I actually sit here, in March, thinking that we don't need to confront the summer as a transfer battle where we seem more obsessed and desperate about what's available and what's needed from the market. We must concentrate on growth and settlement which means only buying a couple of top class players here and there to help that growth, not a needless haul of players coming in to halt such growth.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #25110: Mar 02, 2015 11:10:21 pm
      Anyone else recall a manager completing changing the system and play to such a radical new philosophy when he was under pressure and succeeding?

Balls. Big fat ones.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #25111: Mar 02, 2015 11:17:19 pm
      One of the reasons I personally don't think Brendan "needs" a trophy is that I think we are about to become a proper team. "Needs a trophy" implies that if he doesn't get one we should look elsewhere, we shouldn't.

"Proper team", what does that mean? Well, I may as well be the first but I think we will very seriously challenge for the title next season, from day one. That's not "if we buy such and such" either, I am confident that with Brendan and the nucleus of players we have, we will go very close to winning the title again next season regardless.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #25112: Mar 03, 2015 08:36:33 am
      Well, I may as well be the first but I think we will very seriously challenge for the title next season, from day one.

I believe something similar Mick because there's a pattern in Rodgers management to date.

First season, integrating new players slow start to the first half of the season as new and old players got used to his system, surroundings etc, second half of the season top 4 form.

Second season no major tinkering or new additions, pretty much settled first XI consistently good for most parts of the season, mounted a title challenge.

Third season, new arrivals, losing star player, players adjusting to their new surroundings, Rodgers system etc, slow start to the first half of the season, second half of the season top 4 form.

So in his fourth season, without tinkering too much and too much of an overhaul in playing staff and having a settled first XI (alebeit if we secure top 4, there will be some rotation), I can see his fourth season pretty much staying in keeping with the pattern that has developed so far.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,464 posts | 4591 
      Reply #25113: Mar 03, 2015 10:31:52 am
      The blessing in disguise of being knocked out the Champions League, Europa League, Domestic League Cup means Rodgers can now concentrate of finishing 4th & above.

Hopefully Rodgers will win us the FA Cup & his first Trophy as a LFC manager & hopefully he will realise the importance to us in maintaining our presence in the Elite European football competition till the semi/finals.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #25114: Mar 03, 2015 10:38:12 am
      The blessing in disguise of being knocked out the Champions League, Europa League, Domestic League Cup means Rodgers can now concentrate of finishing 4th & above.

Hopefully Rodgers will win us the FA Cup & his first Trophy as a LFC manager & hopefully he will realise the importance to us in maintaining our presence in the Elite European football competition till the semi/finals.

A post wrapped up in a veil which is so thin you could read a newspaper through it :lmao:.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,464 posts | 4591 
      Reply #25115: Mar 03, 2015 10:40:19 am
      A post wrapped up in a veil which is so thin you could read a newspaper through it :lmao:.

Please elaborate further Mick.

Quick Reply