Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Pepe Reina (Bayern Munich)

Read 11949 times
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Re: Pepe Reina (Bayern Munich)
      Reply #138: Aug 08, 2014 03:19:39 pm
      Would having Pepe's wages on the bench be a good use of our resources though? I'm not sure competition amongst goalkeepers works in the same way as outfield players. The goalie need to know he has the manager's and the team's confidence to play properly and avoid mistakes. Having Pepe glowering on the bench ready to step in doesn't really inspire that confidence.

Ideally, what should have happened is Vorm should have been bought anyway with the knowledge that whatever was happening with Pepe one thing for certain was that he wasn't going to be here come the start of the season. In the meantime Jones should have been shown the door, sod sentiment. You mention that the team needs confidence in their keeper when playing - something Jones will never attain. You can see the panic etched in ALL of the players when he's in goal. Can you imagine Jones having to come on during a CL match because Mignolet has sustained an injury? He'd probably have a nervous breakdown - I know I would.

Mingolets confidence would be inspired by the fact that he's playing and Pepe's on the bench - there's nothing more inspiring than being the managers number one choice! And it's not as though goalies have an inherent fear of being substituted during the game. I'd be more inclined to believe he'd be more consistent knowing Pepe's on the bench as opposed to Jones.

Pepe has gone to BM in full knowledge that he will only ever be considered a back-up keeper but at least he's gone knowing that he's wanted. It's totally inexcusable to to believe that he couldn't have done the same here. There may be more to it but what he did was no worse than what Luis did.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #139: Aug 08, 2014 03:36:33 pm
      Ideally, what should have happened is Vorm should have been bought anyway with the knowledge that whatever was happening with Pepe one thing for certain was that he wasn't going to be here come the start of the season. In the meantime Jones should have been shown the door, sod sentiment. You mention that the team needs confidence in their keeper when playing - something Jones will never attain. You can see the panic etched in ALL of the players when he's in goal. Can you imagine Jones having to come on during a CL match because Mignolet has sustained an injury? He'd probably have a nervous breakdown - I know I would.

Mingolets confidence would be inspired by the fact that he's playing and Pepe's on the bench - there's nothing more inspiring than being the managers number one choice! And it's not as though goalies have an inherent fear of being substituted during the game. I'd be more inclined to believe he'd be more consistent knowing Pepe's on the bench as opposed to Jones.

Pepe has gone to BM in full knowledge that he will only ever be considered a back-up keeper but at least he's gone knowing that he's wanted. It's totally inexcusable to to believe that he couldn't have done the same here. There may be more to it but what he did was no worse than what Luis did.

I see what you're saying but I think if goalkeepers actually thought that way, all the big teams would have have two top keepers competing for the spot.

This season, Chelsea are in that position having brought Courtois back but, apart from that, I can't think of too many examples of teams going down that route - and there's no reason why not given that Keepers are generally cheap. It's a nice idea but I just don't think it works.

As for Jones, I guess you could argue that we can upgrade him but it will be relatively low on the list of priorities.
      _Dimitri_
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 211 posts |
      Reply #140: Aug 08, 2014 04:30:11 pm
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #141: Aug 08, 2014 04:57:38 pm
      I think you are proof that morons are able to read, however comprehension is something more challenging. So, let’s try again. Well done for working out we weren’t in Europe, that must have been a real struggle for you. However, we probably would have still passed FFP, despite your claims otherwise.

In 2011/12 – the first monitoring period – we lost £40.5m. Of this we wrote off £50m relating to the stadium – which are excluded from FFP. Also, we can add back the salaries of the players signed before 01 June 2010 for this period (probably most of the £110m we spent on wages in the period). We can also add back any investment in youth development etc, which could also be significant amount. So in fact we most likely made a significant profit in this period (in the eyes of FFP), offsetting the £50m loss in the next period, below the FFP threshold for the period.

You have also been banging on about wages, and how we finance the squad etc, how we cant afford Cavani's wages etc. that is what my response to you was about.

I think my ealier post clearly shows that you have been talking bollocks

I like it
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #142: Aug 08, 2014 05:25:08 pm
      Freeing up the Cavani wages. ;D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber