Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Pepe Reina (Bayern Munich)

Read 12040 times
      Wiggy
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts | 21 
      Re: Pepe Reina to Bayern Munich
      Reply #115: Aug 07, 2014 09:17:38 pm
      Completely and utterly wrong but don't want to derail the thread with basic knowledge about FFP.

F**k me. you and KTF are like the friggin Chuckle Brothers, a calamitous double act about as sharp as the wooden spoon you're so intent on stirring. I was going to ignore you, but you couldn’t stop trying to take the piss, looking down on everyone like you were the F***ing master of the universe. If you took your head out of your ass for a second, you'd realise that you’re talking complete and utter garbage.

You’re both talking about losing £50m, but that was last year, not this year. For the y/e 31 May 14, we will have fared much, much better, with lower transfer spending (therefore reduced amortisation), continued trimming of wages, bumper commercial deals. In addition, we have no idea how much of that £50m loss is relevant for FFP, how much was spent on youth academy etc. Of the £50m loss, £10m was due to ‘impairment of players contracts’. This is the loss as a result of selling players for less than their book value, part of the process of sweeping out of the deadwood. We also spent £2m sacking Kenny!

In addition the 11/12 year (where we lost £40m, the majority of the loss was due to writing off stadium development costs, which most likely won’t be applicable to FFP

But this is only the profit, what about cash I hear you ask. Well in the previous year to May 13, before transfers in and out we made +£25m cash! Wow, we must really be screwed.

Therefore I’m expecting that for the year ended May-14, we must have made significantly more, given we earned an additional £43m from TV money, as well as some bumper commercial contracts. This is even before Suarez transfers etc.

Then on top of this, for the upcoming financial year we have more commercial deals to come, CL revenue as well. So that is why I, and everyone else, am expecting some decent outlay, and some top quality additions.

For the current window we are pretty much break even on wages in and out. We have spent about £14m. Is it so hard to understand that we can afford to spend on 1 or 2 quality additions? We can easily afford it from both a profit and cash perspective.

Are we still, as you called us all, morons, do you get it yet? Do you need me to simplify it for you?

kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Re: Pepe Reina (Bayern Munich)
      Reply #116: Aug 07, 2014 09:20:34 pm
      For a man who was our keeper for 8 years I find the way it's all ended a little distasteful.

Spot on. Ability aside, Pepe was one of those foreign lads who just got the club and everything it stands for.

Will never forget his pitch yard sprint against the Mancs and the way he stood up to H&G in those dark days.

Wish him all the best.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #117: Aug 07, 2014 09:35:29 pm
      In the player thread but I think relevant here also.

Neil Jones: Pepe Reina's final departure leaves a bitter taste at Liverpool FC

Pepe Reina has played more games for Liverpool than Ray Kennedy. And Alan Kennedy, for that matter.

He has played more games than Graeme Souness. And Robbie Fowler, Ronnie Moran, Gordon Hodgson, Kevin Keegan, Terry McDermott.

In fact, in the history of Liverpool, only 26 men have made more appearances than Pepe Reina. Only three have more Premier League appearances. All three of them are Reds legends.

All of which makes it even sadder that the Spaniard’s departure from Anfield, after nine years, has been so acrimonious.

Should his move to Bayern Munich, as expected, be completed later this week, Reina will leave Merseyside under a cloud, his exit greeted with, if not quite indifference, certainly something close. There will be few tears shed amongst Reds supporters.

Reina’s final days at Anfield have been spent in what can be best described as footballing purgatory. He has been the ghost at the table on Liverpool’s whistle-stop tour of the USA.

During that tour, Brendan Rodgers shared goalkeeping duties between Simon Mignolet, his first-choice, and Brad Jones. Danny Ward, a 21-year-old who is yet to make his senior debut for the Reds, has been on the substitutes’ bench.

Reina, meanwhile, has been left to look on. He has trained as normal, prepared as normal and, judging by some of the Instagram pictures, joined in with the squad as normal. But no playing time. Not one minute.

How did it come to this?

The breakdown in Reina’s relationship with the club, and more specifically with Rodgers, can be traced back to the summer of 2012.

Rodgers’ arrival at Anfield came at a difficult time. Liverpool’s squad, which had been assembled at some cost, was imbalanced and in need of a serious trim. Quality, reliable senior players were in short supply.

Reina, despite a poor season under Kenny Dalglish, was deemed one of those players.
      Rodgers admired his distribution skills and ability to command his box. His dressing room presence, he was told, was huge.

The trouble was, noises were emerging that he was looking to leave. Every summer, every winter, links with Barcelona would appear, and Reina would do little to bat them away.

Interest from Camp Nou, he said, would be “hard to ignore”, but until then he was fully committed to Liverpool.

Not ideal. And so, privately, Rodgers began making contingency plans.

At first, he identified Michel Vorm, his goalkeeper at Swansea, as a replacement. Later, though, Mignolet would catch the eye. And as Reina’s form, although better than the previous season, failed to convince, the decision was taken in early 2013 that a new senior ‘keeper would be signed.

Rodgers says he informed Reina over dinner that he intended to sign Mignolet, and said the idea was to have the two compete for a place in his side.

Realistically, though, that was never likely. Reina’s contract at Anfield, signed in April 2010, made him one of the club’s highest earners. The prospect of him sitting on the bench, waiting for a League Cup tie or an injury to Mignolet, was absurd.

Unfortunately, both for Reina and for Liverpool, Victor Valdes’ decision to see out the final year of his contract at Barcelona meant their ‘interest’ was never followed up. Reina was left in limbo, with Liverpool eventually agreeing to loan him out to Napoli, where he would link up with former boss Rafa Benitez.

It was then that Reina, in a move which did little to repair his relationship with Rodgers, published a “goodbye” letter to Reds supporters on his personal website.

In it, he accused Liverpool of agreeing to loan him out without telling him, and insisted he had been willing to stay and fight for his place once Barcelona’s interest had waned. “If I have one regret, it is the way that I am leaving,” he said.

In all honesty, his Liverpool career was already over at that point, but it was telling that, when asked in February about the prospect of a Reina return, Rodgers used that letter to publicly kill off any hopes.

“He’s already written his letter hasn’t he?” he told reporters. In short; no way back.

And so it has proven. Reina’s season in Naples was solid enough, but his dream move to Barca never materialised. The Catalans have moved on; they signed two ‘keepers, Marc-Andre Ter Stegen and Claudio Bravo, this summer.

Liverpool, too, have moved on. Mignolet had what can accurately be described as a “mixed” debut campaign at Anfield, but he retains, for now, the backing of his manager. Reina, once indispensable, lost that backing some time ago.

There are some who would argue that Reina, at his best, is still the better goalkeeper. That his departure is down more to politics than football.

Both may be true, but the proof is always in the pudding. Liverpool, without Reina and with Mignolet, went agonisingly close to a Premier League title last season. He may be a popular character, but he wasn’t missed.

This move would seem to suit all parties. Liverpool get a big earner off the books, whilst pocketing a modest transfer fee.

Bayern get an experienced, quality goalkeeper to compete with the brilliant Manuel Neuer. And Reina gets the chance to work at another big club, under the guidance of the revered Pep Guardiola.

A happy ending? Not quite. But a necessary one, nonetheless. It’s just a shame his departure does not leave a better taste.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-jones-pepe-reinas-final-7573478

It's not all just black/white it's not all about the club/manager saving money and giving the boot just for shits and grins.

Pepe was committed to LFC right up to the point where Barca was ready for him, as a new manager trying to lay down the law and expect younger players coming in to commit 100% you can't have players being 1/2 committed.

"The single biggest thing for me since I walked in here is that they want to play for this club. It is part of what we need to be successful again," he explained.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brendan-rodgers-warns-daniel-sturridge-1500427#ixzz39jzaFaEU
      Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,484 posts | 344 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #118: Aug 07, 2014 09:40:07 pm
      Wish him all the best and definitely sad to see him go.

If we are gonna be knee jerk about it, I'd see us signing the Mexico keeper from the WC, Ochoa. Otherwise it will be a young keeper who can be an understudy.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #119: Aug 07, 2014 11:15:38 pm
      Why are we getting rid of him again?

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #120: Aug 07, 2014 11:34:18 pm

Wow, some record :o didn't know it was that good, wtf :o
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #121: Aug 07, 2014 11:37:42 pm
      Wish him all the best and definitely sad to see him go.

If we are gonna be knee jerk about it, I'd see us signing the Mexico keeper from the WC, Ochoa. Otherwise it will be a young keeper who can be an understudy.

Signed for Malaga mate.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #122: Aug 07, 2014 11:40:54 pm

I don't like these stats. He and Cech sat in front of two of the most organised defences I have ever seen. With that comes clean sheets because he has more help and less exposed.

I love Pepe, I'll never forget his romancing of David N'Gog against the Scum, but he was a beneficiary of Rafa Benitez and his crushing tactics. Oppositions were given nothing compared to our team now. Probably a unfortunate convenience that his form suffered when our team became more exposed to opposition attacks.

Is that a sign that Pepe wasn't as good as we thought? Maybe. But I don't want to start that because Pepe was one person I adored and he bought in to this club like very few have. That discussion can wait.

All the best Pepe. I loved everything about you in your time here, except for the Barca flirting year after year. Sad things ended this way but that's how it worked out. Ironically the club you sought after was the one that fu**ed you over.

YNWA.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #123: Aug 07, 2014 11:41:32 pm
      He's a better keeper than Mignolet but in reality he fell out with Rodgers so that was it.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #124: Aug 07, 2014 11:49:52 pm
      I don't like these stats. He and Cech sat in front of two of the most organised defences I have ever seen. With that comes clean sheets because he has more help and less exposed.

I love Pepe, I'll never forget his romancing of David N'Gog against the Scum, but he was a beneficiary of Rafa Benitez and his crushing tactics. Oppositions were given nothing compared to our team now. Probably a unfortunate convenience that his form suffered when our team became more exposed to opposition attacks.

Is that a sign that Pepe wasn't as good as we thought? Maybe. But I don't want to start that because Pepe was one person I adored and he bought in to this club like very few have. That discussion can wait.

All the best Pepe. I loved everything about you in your time here, except for the Barca flirting year after year. Sad things ended this way but that's how it worked out. Ironically the club you sought after was the one that fu**ed you over.

YNWA.
      Where does that leave Mignolet then mate , he's a good shot stopper but sh*t at distribution and command of the box . Fucks about with the ball on the ground too much . He'll get caught out on that fairly soon when he slips up and some CF pounces on him in a blink of an eye and then we'll hear the moans and groans of " why did we get rid of Pepe he wouldn't have made that mistake " . Rodgers has too much faith in him for my liking i tell ye it will end in tears when we look to the bench and see Brad Jones a stand up bloke he is but not even related to a goal keeper is he .

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #125: Aug 07, 2014 11:52:00 pm
      Where does that leave Mignolet then mate , he's a good shot stopper but sh*t at distribution and command of the box . Fucks about with the ball on the ground too much . He'll get caught out on that fairly soon when he slips up and some CF pounces on him in a blink of an eye and then we'll hear the moans and groans of " why did we get rid of Pepe he wouldn't have made that mistake " . Rodgers has too much faith in him for my liking i tell ye it will end in tears when we look to the bench and see Brad Jones a stand up bloke he is but not even related to a goal keeper is he .

Leaves him as first choice like Brendan wants, same situation as last season.

I've said we need another keeper to come in before Pepe left but I doubt that's a priority right now.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #126: Aug 08, 2014 12:03:50 am

I've said we need another keeper to come in before Pepe left but I doubt that's a priority right now.
      Brad Jones as 2nd choice GK it is then , lets pray that one doesn't come back to bite our arses .

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #127: Aug 08, 2014 12:05:08 am

Always thought it should've been one of the major priorities at the end of of last season. Either keep Reina and make him our #1, or buy a potential world class keeper.

Anyway, we're stuck with Migs, and I hope he shuts me up and proves me and a lot of doubters wrong.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #128: Aug 08, 2014 12:45:09 am

It's because Brendan and the club would rather cut off their own noses to spite their own faces. No excuse for it really. It's not as if we couldn't afford the wage and it also should have been further proof to showcase Brendan's 'management' skills.

Jones is a lovely fella but he's no PL keeper and with no serious competition to Mignolet he can carry on being inconsistent in the knowledge that he won't be touched. 
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #129: Aug 08, 2014 06:38:06 am
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #130: Aug 08, 2014 08:53:35 am

F**k me. you and KTF are like the friggin Chuckle Brothers, a calamitous double act about as sharp as the wooden spoon you're so intent on stirring. I was going to ignore you, but you couldn’t stop trying to take the piss, looking down on everyone like you were the f**king master of the universe. If you took your head out of your ass for a second, you'd realise that you’re talking complete and utter garbage.

You’re both talking about losing £50m, but that was last year, not this year. For the y/e 31 May 14, we will have fared much, much better, with lower transfer spending (therefore reduced amortisation), continued trimming of wages, bumper commercial deals. In addition, we have no idea how much of that £50m loss is relevant for FFP, how much was spent on youth academy etc. Of the £50m loss, £10m was due to ‘impairment of players contracts’. This is the loss as a result of selling players for less than their book value, part of the process of sweeping out of the deadwood. We also spent £2m sacking Kenny!

In addition the 11/12 year (where we lost £40m, the majority of the loss was due to writing off stadium development costs, which most likely won’t be applicable to FFP

But this is only the profit, what about cash I hear you ask. Well in the previous year to May 13, before transfers in and out we made +£25m cash! Wow, we must really be screwed.

Therefore I’m expecting that for the year ended May-14, we must have made significantly more, given we earned an additional £43m from TV money, as well as some bumper commercial contracts. This is even before Suarez transfers etc.

Then on top of this, for the upcoming financial year we have more commercial deals to come, CL revenue as well. So that is why I, and everyone else, am expecting some decent outlay, and some top quality additions.

For the current window we are pretty much break even on wages in and out. We have spent about £14m. Is it so hard to understand that we can afford to spend on 1 or 2 quality additions? We can easily afford it from both a profit and cash perspective.

Why people keep bringing thi sup in this thread I don't know but:

:lmao: WTF are you gibbering about? The post I quoted was pointing out we hadn't been sanctioned in May 2014 for our submitted accounts in the previous two seasons and we were therefore clearly compliant with FFP. Wrong. The point is we didn't have any further action taken because, like Monaco, we weren't in european competition at the time. Do you need me to break it down into more manageable chunks for you to understand?

Are we still, as you called us all, morons, do you get it yet? Do you need me to simplify it for you?

Most morons are at least able to read.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #131: Aug 08, 2014 09:05:37 am
      It's because Brendan and the club would rather cut off their own noses to spite their own faces. No excuse for it really. It's not as if we couldn't afford the wage and it also should have been further proof to showcase Brendan's 'management' skills.

Jones is a lovely fella but he's no PL keeper and with no serious competition to Mignolet he can carry on being inconsistent in the knowledge that he won't be touched.

Would having Pepe's wages on the bench be a good use of our resources though? I'm not sure competition amongst goalkeepers works in the same way as outfield players. The goalie need to know he has the manager's and the team's confidence to play properly and avoid mistakes. Having Pepe glowering on the bench ready to step in doesn't really inspire that confidence.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #132: Aug 08, 2014 09:10:27 am
      Would have had him in my team on any given day over jones and prob over Migs too if im honest , those clangers against MC last year still piss me off to be honest, you might make one but great keepers dont make two or three and still get away with it ,,anyhow good luck Pepe .
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #133: Aug 08, 2014 09:14:05 am
      I'm far from convinced by Mignolet but we didn't miss out on the title due to just his keeping - it wasn't close to being the main reason and it was his debut year; let's see if he makes the grade this year - hopefully in front of a more settled back line.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,824 posts | 6771 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #134: Aug 08, 2014 10:12:35 am
      Good Luck on your move Pepe. Still remember fondly your goal celebrations when we scored. Will miss that but wish you well for the future.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #135: Aug 08, 2014 10:48:01 am
      we have without a shadow of a doubt, increased our wages, the players bought in and squad numbers show that.

Sorry for lifting just this excerpt mate - in work, on phone so I will reply in better detail later but...

I'm not so sure that we have increased or wage bill "without a shadow of a doubt". You may, very well, be correct but I'll explain why I, at least, have some doubt..

First off: as strange as this might seem - I actually believe John Henry when he said about overpaying (players & wages) and I do trust them to balance the books.

Secondly (more importantly?) - the figures: (I'm going to give our lads a bbb pay rise btw)

New signings -  Lallana (£80k); Can (£60k); Lambert (£40k); Lovren (£60k); Origi (£30k); Markovic (£60k) and Manquillo (£30k). What's that: circa £360k per week?

Players off the books - Suarez (£200k); Reina (£110k) and let's go conservative with Aspas, Alberto, Wisdom & Coast - say only £55k the lot... £50k for cash? Well... you catch my drift...  :D

Post more later.

Pepe? Great move for all concerned - Pep gets his man, Bayern add proper strength & depth to an already strong team,  we shed £s and Pepe can feel wanted.
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2014 11:04:04 am by bad boy bubby »
      Wiggy
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts | 21 
      Reply #136: Aug 08, 2014 11:20:24 am
      Why people keep bringing thi sup in this thread I don't know but:

:lmao: WTF are you gibbering about? The post I quoted was pointing out we hadn't been sanctioned in May 2014 for our submitted accounts in the previous two seasons and we were therefore clearly compliant with FFP. Wrong. The point is we didn't have any further action taken because, like Monaco, we weren't in european competition at the time. Do you need me to break it down into more manageable chunks for you to understand?

Most morons are at least able to read.

I think you are proof that morons are able to read, however comprehension is something more challenging. So, let’s try again. Well done for working out we weren’t in Europe, that must have been a real struggle for you. However, we probably would have still passed FFP, despite your claims otherwise.

In 2011/12 – the first monitoring period – we lost £40.5m. Of this we wrote off £50m relating to the stadium – which are excluded from FFP. Also, we can add back the salaries of the players signed before 01 June 2010 for this period (probably most of the £110m we spent on wages in the period). We can also add back any investment in youth development etc, which could also be significant amount. So in fact we most likely made a significant profit in this period (in the eyes of FFP), offsetting the £50m loss in the next period, below the FFP threshold for the period.

You have also been banging on about wages, and how we finance the squad etc, how we cant afford Cavani's wages etc. that is what my response to you was about.

Yes, thankyou KeeptheFaith - for some reason supporters of all clubs completely ignore the cost of wages  which often dwarf the transfer fee in terms of cost.

It's not because they are unaware that wages exist - they prefer to block it out of their minds so they can fantasise about buying Cavani.

Getting rid of Pepe, great though he has been for us, does indeed free up substantial funds for a new striker - virtually the whole art of professional sports is utilising resources better than the opposition.

Anyone who thinks we don't need to pay any regard to how we finance the squad is, frankly, a moron.

I think my ealier post clearly shows that you have been talking bollocks
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #137: Aug 08, 2014 02:30:55 pm
      I think you are proof that morons are able to read, however comprehension is something more challenging. So, let’s try again. Well done for working out we weren’t in Europe, that must have been a real struggle for you. However, we probably would have still passed FFP, despite your claims otherwise.

In 2011/12 – the first monitoring period – we lost £40.5m. Of this we wrote off £50m relating to the stadium – which are excluded from FFP. Also, we can add back the salaries of the players signed before 01 June 2010 for this period (probably most of the £110m we spent on wages in the period). We can also add back any investment in youth development etc, which could also be significant amount. So in fact we most likely made a significant profit in this period (in the eyes of FFP), offsetting the £50m loss in the next period, below the FFP threshold for the period.

You have also been banging on about wages, and how we finance the squad etc, how we cant afford Cavani's wages etc. that is what my response to you was about.

I think my ealier post clearly shows that you have been talking bollocks

I am going to explain this one more time to you very slowly.

The quoted post said that our finances were FFP compliant because we hadn't been sanctioned.

That was clearly completely wrong since the reasons we had not been sanctioned was nothing to do with our finances but instead the fact that we weren't playing in European competition hence my post. Your back-of-a-fag-packet calculations about whether or not we would have passed FFP if we HAD been sanctioned is irrelevant to the point I made.

Do you understand this now?

If not, find a literate friend who is able to explain it you - I certainly can't think of any simpler way to do it and your comprehension skills are no doubt irritating to those who have clicked on the thread to read about Pepe and instead find you repeatedly banging face-first into what is quite a straightforward point.

Also, I didn't say we couldn't afford Cavani's wages I said it was unlikely we would pay them as it wouldn't be a smart decision - rather like paying Pepe to sit on the bench.

I guess this is what happens when the local chimp farm gets hold of laptops. On a serious note, I would really urge you to think a bit more before posting as you are clearly nowhere near as clever as you think you are and it might save you embarrassing yourself further.

Quick Reply