Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Pepe Reina (Bayern Munich)

Read 12203 times
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,527 posts | 224 
      Re: Pepe Reina to Bayern Munich
      Reply #92: Aug 06, 2014 06:55:20 pm
      Well, as everyone knows we have spent about £10m over and above the £75m we got for Suarez but... as almost every red knows; we did get an additional £43m from BT; an additional £30m CL and additional sponsorship so...

I'm not as pessimistic as you about our shortage of funds - certainly not to the point where I'd believe we need to sell before we could buy.

Sell to move unhappy or unwanted players - without a doubt. Sell to raise funds... Nah. Wages or no wages.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn’t want some f**k-wit trying to put a twist on the motive behind my question mate, (I was just curious as to why you thought we needed to sell before buying) so... Just to be clear: I fully understand how much Pepe's leaving frees up in terms of impact on wages...

;)

You are mistaking what I am trying to say

FFP, we lost pretty much 50m last year, of course the money is there to spend, say we did get an addition 80m from tv deals and sponsors, we got 75m from suarez

so that is 155m by the numbers, take out 50m in losses because frankly we cannot be making losses under ffp, what does that leave us with? 105m, which by the end of the window will be what we spend, it actually will be more because we have bought in extra players and increased our wages so we would have spent closer to 115-120m

if we want the buys, we have to get rid of our existing players, not because we do not have the money, but to avoid making a loss and risking ffp sanctions

4.5m is freed up from reina, get rid of 3 cbs, assadi(sp?) and borini and we should be able to bring in 3 more players for a good price which will be our left back for 20m taking our spending to 105m ish and a striker for a sort of same amount, taking out spending up again, but if we do not sell our existing players, we also need to finance the wages from our budget

its all about playing with the numbers, money is not a problem, the rules are

we cannot be expected to have around 15m in wages going to deadwood, especially now that we have added 1 new full back an soon to be another to our books

with us making 50m losses and our wages increasing so much, we have to use some of the new money to stop those losses
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #93: Aug 06, 2014 06:55:45 pm

You "always" thought that; did you?  :lmao:

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #94: Aug 06, 2014 07:52:37 pm
      FFP, we lost pretty much 50m last year, of course the money is there to spend, say we did get an addition 80m from tv deals and sponsors, we got 75m from suarez

so that is 155m by the numbers, take out 50m in losses because frankly we cannot be making losses under ffp, what does that leave us with? 105m, which by the end of the window will be what we spend, it actually will be more because we have bought in extra players and increased our wages so we would have spent closer to 115-120m

if we want the buys, we have to get rid of our existing players, not because we do not have the money, but to avoid making a loss and risking ffp sanctions
      FFP can be difficult to get the old napper around - I'll give you that.

However, going by your logic, we could not have bought any players in the past three seasons - a net spend of circa £30m each season... even then the 'loss' we showed last season [re: "stadium debt"  ;)] is exempt.

"In order to promote investment in stadiums, training facilities and youth development, all such costs are excluded from the break-even calculation."
      "Financial fair play has already started, in 2011. Since then clubs that have qualified for UEFA competitions have to prove they do not have overdue payables towards other clubs, their players and social/tax authorities throughout the season. "In other words, they have to prove they have paid their bills".

From this current season (2013/14), clubs also have to make sure they comply with break-even requirements, which in principle means not to spend more than they earn. UEFA has installed the Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) to verify every year each club's figures of the past two years put together, and as of 2014/15, they will look at the figures of the previous three years put together.

The first sanctions for clubs not fulfilling the break-even requirement will be taken following this first assessment in May 2014. The first possible sanctions relating to non-compliance with break-even requirements would be effective for the 2014/15 campaign."

You can read more here: http://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=2064391.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear with me here mate: -  given that we were not sanctioned in May 2014 (for not fulfilling the break-even requirement) it's pretty safe to say, therefore, that we were not in breach of FFP rules.

Still with me? Now... if we weren't in breach of FFP, at the end of last season, on the three season review: we sure as sh*t ain't going to be in breach of them at the end of next season.

We do not need to sell anyone before we buy a forward - not for 'wages' and not for FFP compliance. Unless, of course, that forward cost up to €45m more than our remaining budget. Not that we will but... "actually and quite frankly", we can make losses under FFP  ;D
      LFCexiled
      Re: Pepe Reina (Bayern Munich)
      Reply #95: Aug 06, 2014 08:06:22 pm
      Bear with me here mate: -  given that we were not sanctioned in May 2014 (for not fulfilling the break-even requirement) it's pretty safe to say, therefore, that we were not in breach of FFP rules.

Still with me? Now... if we weren't in breach of FFP, at the end of last season, on the three season review: we sure as sh*t ain't going to be in breach of them at the end of next season.

We do not need to sell anyone before we buy a forward - not for 'wages' and not for FFP compliance. Unless, of course, that forward cost up to €45m more than our remaining budget. Not that we will but... "actually and quite frankly", we can make losses under FFP  ;D

After the sh*t with h&g and all the financial sh*t I arsed myself with/done my head in with then I've resigned myself to just reading posts like yours to keep me up to date on FFP, so...

My question mate is, in your considered opinion do you think that since they came in FSG have been playing an excellent game getting our finances into shape dropping the wage bill whilst still providing funds for wages, signings and stadium build?

KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,527 posts | 224 
      Reply #96: Aug 06, 2014 08:16:58 pm

However, going by your logic, we could not have bought any players in the past three seasons - a net spend of circa £30m each season... even then the 'loss' we showed last season [re: "stadium debt"  ;)] is exempt.

You can read more here: http://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=2064391.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well rounded post, you make a very good argument, just so you know, I fully agree we have around 30m sterling left in our budget, what I will argue is this

if we got 150m in extra revenue from player sales and new sponsor deals, we have without a shadow of a doubt, increased our wages, the players bought in and squad numbers show that, now it is fair to say suarez was most likely on the same amount of wages as lovern and lallana combined

moses, alberto and aspas should not be on a lot but we added in marko, lambert, can and will add in 2 full backs (have added one already) and it is widely regarded we will add in a striker which I am certain we will do

5 players, that would certainly take 12-15m out of our wage budget because, now lets look at what we have spent

18-25m on lallana

similar amount on mark

loveren 18-20

can for 12 ish

lambert for 4 ish

20m on our left back we will be spending

10m-12m on orgy orgy

Now which ever way we take those numbers, its fair to assume 100m-110m would have gone, that would leave what you said pretty much, around 30m left to spend

Now my point about wages come into here, its very clear our wages have increased, it is also very clear we are making a loss each season if we factor in 30m net in transfers per year, what happens if we do not make 4th? you must look at the worst case scenario, what on earth will we do? we have increased our wages by a significant amount yet we will be losing  30m per season, which is why it is very very important to get rid of players before we buy, I know we will buy a cf before we get rid of everyone, we do not need to do it as you said but for our future security, it is wise to do it

what about jan? what if a good player is there? would we not want to keep money free? get rid of more deadwood will free up more money, if we do not get 4th, if we keep some money in reserve, we can operate at a champions league wage structure for a season whilst we go again

(I never added in bonuses and other fees associated with deals)

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #97: Aug 06, 2014 08:18:37 pm
      FCB agree terms with Pepe Reina

Bayern are poised to sign Pepe Reina from Liverpool, FCB chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirmed on Tuesday lunchtime (local time) in Portland. “The player is scheduled to come to Munich for a medical in the next few days and sign his contract,” Rummenigge stated.

The 31-year-old Spain goalkeeper is currently contracted to Liverpool. Terms have been agreed with both the player and his current club. “Michael Reschke has told me this is the case,” Rummenigge said. “Pepe Reina really wanted to join Bayern Munich. He was prepared to undertake this adventure, although he knows he has Manuel Neuer ahead of him, a first-choice keeper who will, provided nothing untoward happens, remain number one.”

Should Neuer be unfit to play, Reina and Tom Starke would both be ready to step in. The position of third keeper at Bayern is currently vacant after Lukas Raeder left the club at the end of last season. “Our goal was to be prepared for every eventuality in this particular position,” Rummenigge explained, “we've now settled the situation regarding goalkeepers. We'll go into next season with these three.”

For Reina, who will be 32 at the end of August, the switch to Munich represents a reunion with Pep Guardiola. Both were members of the 2000/01 Barcelona squad. Reina played for Villarreal (2002-05) before joining Liverpool in 2005, where he won the UEFA Super Cup (2005) and the FA Cup (2006). The shot stopper spent last season on loan to SSC Napoli and collected a Copa Italia winner’s medal.

The father of three celebrated his greatest successes to date in Spain colours, as he has winner’s medals from the 2010 World Cup, and Euro 2008 and 2012. He made one appearance for his country at the World Cup a few weeks ago. “Pepe Reina is an established and very experienced player who matches the profile required by the squad management team,” said Rummenigge, “he's the right man for Bayern Munich.”

Strange move given the fact that Neuer will without doubt be first choice. Thought Pepe would have wanted to go somewhere he'd be first choice.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #98: Aug 06, 2014 08:41:33 pm

Completely and utterly wrong but don't want to derail the thread with basic knowledge about FFP.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #99: Aug 06, 2014 08:44:43 pm
      Completely and utterly wrong but don't want to derail the thread with basic knowledge about FFP.

Nip off the the FFP thread then.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #100: Aug 06, 2014 09:14:54 pm
      Nip off the the FFP thread then.
      To be fair, he didn't bring the subject up. Just for everybodies information, we didn't need to pass FFP for last season because we were not playing in champions league last season. Since we are in the Champions League now we have to comply with it. 100kish off our wage bill every week for a player that isn't really required is necessary now.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #101: Aug 06, 2014 10:32:04 pm
      Think Reina might end up being a cup keeper for Bayern, maybe to rest Neur for the league and CL games?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #102: Aug 07, 2014 01:00:57 pm
      To be fair, he didn't bring the subject up.

To be fair, it was only a suggestion to take the conversation where it belonged. You may have been confusing me with someone else.

;)
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #103: Aug 07, 2014 01:09:16 pm
      Hang on. Now that Pepe has moved on, shouldn't the discussion be "We definitely need another top class goal-keeper" rather than "Bingo!!We have been freed from Pepe's wages, Let's buy an outfield player from that money".

Forgive me if I am wrong, but now that's Pepe's gone, another goal-keeper is as important as getting another striker. I have as much faith in Brad'd ability as I have on mine as a goal-keeper.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,694 posts | 7160 
      Reply #104: Aug 07, 2014 01:52:31 pm
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,694 posts | 7160 
      Reply #105: Aug 07, 2014 01:53:58 pm
      Hang on. Now that Pepe has moved on, shouldn't the discussion be "We definitely need another top class goal-keeper" rather than "Bingo!!We have been freed from Pepe's wages, Let's buy an outfield player from that money".

Forgive me if I am wrong, but now that's Pepe's gone, another goal-keeper is as important as getting another striker. I have as much faith in Brad'd ability as I have on mine as a goal-keeper.

Someone actually cheered that we had sliced £5mil of the wage bill it gives me a shiver to think that supporting this club has come to this.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #106: Aug 07, 2014 02:01:21 pm
      Someone actually cheered that we had sliced £5mil of the wage bill it gives me a shiver to think that supporting this club has come to this.

Can't remember who said it, but we actually have owners who are fiscally responsible now so we don't have to worry about wages. We can have faith that the money men will keep our wage bill in a healthy state. All we have to worry about is supporting the players and manager, and enjoying the footie we play!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #107: Aug 07, 2014 03:40:07 pm
      I'd say our goalkeeping is pretty weak.  I find it slightly odd that Munich have brought him in as understudy when he could clearly have stayed here and challenged Mignolet.

Except he couldn't because he had clearly had a falling out with Rodgers.

For a man who was our keeper for 8 years I find the way it's all ended a little distasteful.  More importantly though it's left Mignolet with nobody to threaten his position if he continues with his palmed 'saves' into the 18 yard box.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,694 posts | 7160 
      Reply #108: Aug 07, 2014 04:21:55 pm
      The whole Pepe thing just doesn't sit right.Yes he had lost his focus during those turbulent few years but he could have got back to his best if he was motivated to do so. I think the Issue with Brendan was a smoke screen for ditching another high earner...
      If Brendan wanted a squad that was larger and had more depth to it than last year then I must have missed something because with the players due to be shown the door we seem similar to last year only difference is the gaping 30 goal gap.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #109: Aug 07, 2014 04:37:09 pm
      What was it again: ideal target two quality players in each position with young players supporting that? A great team just got stronger, in my opinion. Neuer and Reina is some depth.  :o

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #110: Aug 07, 2014 05:00:45 pm

Ridiculous comment.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,694 posts | 7160 
      Reply #111: Aug 07, 2014 06:09:33 pm
      sniff sniff troll about find the ignore button quick
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,527 posts | 224 
      Reply #112: Aug 07, 2014 07:09:14 pm

walton, I explained earlier why its important to not waste that much money on a player doing nothing and someone who does not like our manager.

we are not a huge financial power house, we may not get top 4 next season, so it is very important to get rid of the likes of reina, aaaasaaadi, borini and agger.

it could very well be the difference in getting and extra few million to spend on a quality player that gets us 4

it could very well be the difference in retaining a player next season if we fail to get top 4

I never want us to get back to our old days, in giving players huge contracts and then being stuck with them

I never want us to go back to the freebie market for players again

supporting a club is hoping it is financially stable, if it is not, then we may end up going backwards again, as long as we can keep our wages in control, give high wages to key players who play in the first 11, then we can keep improving, even if we lose top 4, we don't have to worry about selling players etc

this is a good move for all round, reina was on insane wages that he simply did not deserve, he has declined a heck of a lot as a keeper, so much so, he was great in his prime but he had become a liability and very disrespectful towards our manager and squad harmony
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,527 posts | 224 
      Reply #113: Aug 07, 2014 07:12:01 pm
      The whole Pepe thing just doesn't sit right.Yes he had lost his focus during those turbulent few years but he could have got back to his best if he was motivated to do so. I think the Issue with Brendan was a smoke screen for ditching another high earner...
      If Brendan wanted a squad that was larger and had more depth to it than last year then I must have missed something because with the players due to be shown the door we seem similar to last year only difference is the gaping 30 goal gap.

so what about Lallana, Maro, Can, Moreno (to be added) and loverhen?

to me you seem to be a very negative person

last season we barely uses moses, aspas and alberto, this season we have added depth in the respect of adding quality which we can use, we did have the correct depth last season, just not the quality in depth which we have now

why on earth would you want a 100k per week keeper warming the bench? would you not prefer we spend it on a starter?

look on the brighter side of things, support our manager, don't have digs, you will enjoy the season a lot more
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,429 posts | 6422 
      Reply #114: Aug 07, 2014 08:46:46 pm
      Well it looks like Pepe is gone for good. Gonna miss him, wish him well though.

FC Bayern English ‏@FCBayernEN 36m
      Welcome to Munich, @PReina25! Medical successfully completed, contract to be signed tomorrow. #MiaSanMia

Quick Reply